Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

All done cooking this weekend, and now I can kick back and relax (and have family cook for me now :))

Last night's turkey legs turned out really nice. As they were cured before smoked, they had an almost ham-like quality to them. Different, but quite good. Recipe I had found says that's how they do them at Disneyland.

J6szunf.jpg

And today's been nice and relaxing. Enjoying just a few of the many things I am thankful for. Started off with an early yoga class, then lunch with the family visiting my mother in law, and now home enjoying some downtime - reading and shooting slingshots ;)

iCi6iV9.jpg

I hope everyone is having a great weekend as well!

I almost took a bite out of my computer screen when I saw that turkey leg.:D The Lambfoot fits right in.

As long as we're pointing out some odd things about A. Wright knives here's one. Most if not all cutlers/companies take special pride in the Mark Side of their knives. That's where they put their name on the tang, polish the blade, especially if only one side of the blade is to be polished, and usually, it's the side they put the nicest cover material. However, that's not been the case with several Wrights knives I have. To illustrate the point here is a Standard Lambfoot with Buffalo Horn covers. The cutler put the cover with the most tone/coloring on the Pile Side of the knife and a plainer cover on the Mark Side. The lighting isn't good today (cloudy and misty) but it's good enough to illustrate my point. I wish it had been sunny because the tone in the Pile Side cover is really bright.

kz9ACve.jpg

Pictures from another day.

Mark Side
fXXcfH6.jpg

Pile Side
deXNqR0.jpg

It just goes to show that not all Wright's cutlers are prideful of their work.

Thats still a darned nice Knife Ed, I just bet that you see a lot more going on within that Horn in person and in direct Daylight!

@PresterJohn Jack Black Jack Black @JohnDF Thanks lads, hard to keep a secret from you blokes. I think maybe it is reciprocal to @PresterJohn, hope you had a good one.:thumbsup::cool:. I have been offline for a few days, my holiday up the bush is over, and back home in the big smoke. Have treated myself to a present, have a couple of Lamb Foot in the post. You gentleman have got me involved in something that is no good for my hip pocket, but the trade off is, met everyone on the porch.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Thanks again for your best wishes.;)

Wonderful-looking Dinner and knife, Dave!! Just change the Carrots to Brussels Sprouts, and it looks like mine!! If you ate more than one plate, Bless you!!:)
Exactly! I would much rather have had Brussels Sprouts, and thats what we usually have. Unfortunately, there were a couple that doesn't like them so the missus went domestic what the!!:eek: :rolleyes:
You can have carrots any ole day :D

That plate of tucker does look the "kouta" as we would say over here.I did not know it is Canadian thanksgiving, to all my Canadian friends, hope you all have a good day.;):)
Yes, my friend, it was "kouta" most excellent, other than the carrots, traditionally should have been Brussel Sprouts. :D

Pt-Luso Pt-Luso
Jack Black Jack Black
Gents, Charlie has stated this much better than I, but I will add that you both need to take this out of the standard discussion forum. If you must discuss it in a public venue, please start a thread in the Good, Bad, and Ugly Forum.

My most sincere and heartfelt apologies, to you, and Gary, Frank, and to my fellow Guardians, for having to witness this tawdry saga. I hope the offending posts can be moved offline.

Kindest regards

Jack

We got your back Jack.
The amount of work you have done my friend for nothing but the good of the Knife World- I know personally the amount of non profit work that you have put in has been immense, least to say the massive positive effect that you have had in bringing Sheffield’s History out to the Knife World when it looked as though it had been sealed over and forgotten.
The Lambsfoot lives and breaths again in style - because of you, and I will finish up by saying your Generosity is absolutely unmatched.

We got your back Jack.
The amount of work you have done my friend for nothing but the good of the Knife World- I know personally the amount of non profit work that you have put in has been immense, least to say the massive positive effect that you have had in bringing Sheffield’s History out to the Knife World when it looked as though it had been sealed over and forgotten.
The Lambsfoot lives and breaths again in style - because of you, and I will finish up by saying your Generosity is absolutely unmatched.

Thank you Duncan :thumbsup:

All done cooking this weekend, and now I can kick back and relax (and have family cook for me now :))

Last night's turkey legs turned out really nice. As they were cured before smoked, they had an almost ham-like quality to them. Different, but quite good. Recipe I had found says that's how they do them at Disneyland.

J6szunf.jpg

And today's been nice and relaxing. Enjoying just a few of the many things I am thankful for. Started off with an early yoga class, then lunch with the family visiting my mother in law, and now home enjoying some downtime - reading and shooting slingshots ;)

iCi6iV9.jpg

That's quite a drumstick Mike! :eek: :) Sounds like you had a great day, excellent pics :thumbsup:

Oh man... I just cannot wait for my first Beer lol - probably in a couple of weeks time hopefully, great photo!

I'm sure that well-earned beer will taste good my friend :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

@PresterJohn Jack Black Jack Black @JohnDF Thanks lads, hard to keep a secret from you blokes. I think maybe it is reciprocal to @PresterJohn, hope you had a good one.:thumbsup::cool:. I have been offline for a few days, my holiday up the bush is over, and back home in the big smoke. Have treated myself to a present, have a couple of Lamb Foot in the post. You gentleman have got me involved in something that is no good for my hip pocket, but the trade off is, met everyone on the porch.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:. Thanks again for your best wishes.;)

Hope you had a good one mate, and that your presents arrive in good time and good order :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians,

My apologies again for the upset yesterday :( I hope that it didn't spoil anyone else's day. I understand that many of my US friends have a day off work today, because of Columbus Day, so I hope you have a good day, and a short week :thumbsup: I hope everyone else has a good week too :thumbsup:

Carrying the 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot today :thumbsup:

PJNdCmv.jpg

We got your back Jack.
Well said, Duncan, Jacks a brother and we walk shoulder to shoulder with him.

Thanks John :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark, here's another look at my prototype pre-BFO and post-BFO :thumbsup:

IVS67mY.jpg

FysP3mR.jpg

It's funny that I originally took Lucy out because I didn't want anyone to complain about her bite marks (which maybe they would have)! I had hoped to go back to carrying the prototype, but while they did a good job, Wright's took months to fix it, and by the time I got it back, I had 'bonded' with Lucy :rolleyes:

cyBoZAN.jpg

Yes, it's a shame, I think I've been a good ambassador for Wright's, and done a lot to rehabilitate their previously poor reputation. I'll email you my friend, but for now, I'll just say that I'm not in the least bit happy about the Guardians knives being devalued by having design features which were unique to those knives being replicated on a one-off basis. A number of other things I'm not happy about too :thumbsdown:

Thanks Mark, it's not like there's a shortage of good Yorkshire stone, even the pavements in my neighbourhood are made from it! So, considering the Millions spent on the place, you'd think they could have looked further than the local garden centre! o_O

Great pics of your Hartshead Barlow my friend :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliment and for the photos of your prototype Ironwood SFO, Jack. Very unique hunk of Ironwood!
I also think you have been a wonderful ambassador to the Lambsfoot pattern and done a great deal for that firms previously flimsy reputation, but you can only do so much, I suppose. I only wish that you could get some of the same enjoyment out of your Guardian SFO's that so many of us here have, without some of the headaches that came along with it. I thank you for your investments in our pleasure.:thumbsup:

On a lighter note, the weekend is nearly over and I'm still enjoying my favorite beer and my favorite knife ...
IJrwJcM.jpg
Two of the finest, @AnW !:thumbsup:

J6szunf.jpg

iCi6iV9.jpg

Excellent photos of your Thanksgiving feast and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all our Canadian friends! Hope you had a great weekend too.:thumbsup:

That's quite a drumstick Mike! :eek: :) Sounds like you had a great day, excellent pics :thumbsup:

I'm sure that well-earned beer will taste good my friend :) :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good one mate, and that your presents arrive in good time and good order :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians,

My apologies again for the upset yesterday :( I hope that it didn't spoil anyone else's day. I understand that many of my US friends have a day off work today, because of Columbus Day, so I hope you have a good day, and a short week :thumbsup: I hope everyone else has a good week too :thumbsup:

Carrying the 2017 Guardians Lambsfoot today :thumbsup:

PJNdCmv.jpg
WOw, that horn, Jack!!:cool::thumbsup:
I hope my comments, early on, didn't have anything to do with bringing that about.
Have a good week, my friend and to everyone.

Recycled pic of my 2019 Ironwood SFO.
Fee6cLR.jpg

Hey David, I was only just thinking of making another 'Where's Donn' post! Hope you're doing OK my friend, and that we'll be seeing more of you again soon. Have a great time in Worcester :) :thumbsup:

Pocketing my Unity Lambsfoot today :thumbsup:

c2yMQ8m.jpg

Thanks Jack, my main thing was I got roped into helping set up a new unit at work. If ever I needed an object lesson into how stupid, inept and just plain corrupt NHS management is, the last 2 months have been it. :rolleyes::mad:
Great looking Unity there, and a cracking photo.

But now I don't. I actually look forward to Monday mornings knowing that the next 5 days there will be less congestion everywhere during the working day,

DSC-2965.jpg

One reason I work shifts. Saturday and Sunday are often just normal working days for me. Having days off when most other folk are working makes doing things a lot more pleasant.

I went to the the town of Pontefract yesterday. Historically, it was an important place, but is just a small market-town today, surrounded by large power stations, and the remains of the old coal mines which once fed them.

LDmCGni.jpg

My main reason to for going there was to visit the remains of the historic castle, which I've not been to since it was closed for a 5-year long renovation programme, which from what I could see seemed to mainly involve despoiling the ruins with a lot of modern concrete, and generally Disneyfying the place :( Having visited several times before, I was actually pretty shocked by the changes, and don't think I'll be bothering to visit again :thumbsdown:

JYSNHRj.jpg

tAILw0p.jpg

pT9e4Y6.jpg

qrkXhg9.jpg

Here's how the castle looked in its heyday...

rsTASSL.jpg

And my Waynorth Lambsfoot on site :thumbsup:

VPpbpUW.jpg

Sorry to hear about Pontefract Castle, but it seems the norm these days. I never made it out to that actually but I'm sure I'll still make the effort one day. And have an overpriced coffee. :D

Last year a downed power line caused a big fire that cost many lives and homes. The company got sued for a ton of money and almost went bankrupt. So now when it's dry and windy, they shut down the power to save lives and prevent being sued for a ton more. It's pretty inconvenient but I can see their side of things.

You know, I've been reading a bit recently about the decline and fall of modern Western society. That post would make it appear that everything I've read is true... :rolleyes:

Welcome back, David :); I always enjoy your "vista" shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: How are you liking that stag HHB SFO?

Another shot of Union Jack, this time in our back yard in May:
View attachment 1212825

- GT

Thanks GT. I love my HHB! The stag is great, the pull just right and the whole design is special. Jack made a truly excellent job of them. But it's so nice I still can't bring myself to use it for anything other than light duties! :D I'm going to have to bite the bullet and use it for the inevitable autumn garden duties.
Nice to see your Union Jack sunning itself. :thumbsup:

donn donn - Good to hear from you, David. Fine image. In my fantasy, I’m riding horse across that beautiful open vista. Hope to see your medieval cathedrals visit.

LOL! You wouldn't want to ride a horse across that; most of it is peat bog. After the rains we've had recently a human would sink up to their knees. A horse would probably just get stuck solid.:eek:

I visited to of our ancient cathedrals over the weekend.
The first on Friday was Gloucester.
ksNp4TS.jpg

lTyTC4w.jpg

My HHB on the Lavatorium, were the monks would wash before and after meals and services.
Hdgepk4.jpg

:thumbsup::D:thumbsup: It's been a while since we've seen an "I carry a lambsfoot ..."

Fantastic pic of an unforgettable knife, FBC, and good advice for @ulix ! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: (I was as obsessed with the jigged bone WCLF as @ulix is with the HHB, but I'm better now. :D:thumbsup:)

Lambsfoot Lucy looking lovely! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pleasing pic of that handsome horn lambsfoot, ED! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Remarkable photo, Harvey! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Dennis, I hope that your health improves soon and that you can pace yourself on the house-selling duties! Great pic of that blond horn knife against the red cut-glass bottle! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Both book and knife look intriguing, Rachel! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

More amazing photos of your ebony lambsfoot taming wild beasts, Dan! ;):thumbsup::cool:

Welcome back, David :); I always enjoy your "vista" shots! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: How are you liking that stag HHB SFO?

Couple of exceptional stag folders, José! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::D
Belated anniversary well-wishes, Vince! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:
And Birthday Greetings to you and cudgee cudgee ! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Intriguing theory and comparison shots, ED; thanks! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
And congrats on getting that marvelous old lambsfoot shown below! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anniversary congrats to you, too, Jon! :cool::thumbsup::cool: How many years since your wedding?

So true, Jack, and unfortunately quite common. :( I guess The Porch isn't immune from the transience of 21st century society.

So have you officially christened that memorable knife, Jack! Very fitting! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Stunning, José!! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Another shot of Union Jack, this time in our back yard in May:
View attachment 1212825

- GT

Thank you GT! Me and the misses have been married 5 years. We started dating when I was 23 yrs old, I will be turning 33 in a few weeks. Looking forward to a life time of anniversaries. :D

Back