Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Now all you Guardian genius's out there i need some help. There has been many a post about members liking of old western movies and old war films. Last week i purchased at a flea market a DVD of " 5 Classic Westerns Collection ". I have never heard of any of these films.
The Deputy. Nobody. The Search. Sound Of A Drum. Without Honour. They all read as being around a town called Cimarron or having a Marshall Jim Crown as the main character, has anyone heard of these films and are they any good, mind you i like most westerns.:confused:
I believe what you have is a collection of episodes of a 1960s television show:
Cimarron Strip

We got that cold front, along with some rain over the weekend, now it's warm again and the flowers are flowering like a second spring.
bDQV2bv.jpg

Cimarron Strip

We got that cold front, along with some rain over the weekend, now it's warm again and the flowers are flowering like a second spring.
bDQV2bv.jpg
Thanks, you may be correct, each "movie" is about 72 minutes long, with adverts added probably about 11/2 hours running time. Really nice knife. Is that desert wood?:)

You are most welcome- you have some extremely nice older models of the Lambsfoot there my friend- simply Stunning.

Getting out and about today I was walking around the flood alley where they have a Culvert - and it has been raining lately- although it doesn't look much - the drain is only not quite a meter wide? - well looking ahead I saw the Bridge was under construction -so I had to jump over the quite fast flowing water- again only a meter wide if that- but I am recovering from a huge Operation and cant jump yet lol - so I gave it a go, I thought- well the worst that can happen is me end up on my back in the water - I was actually laughing as I went for it - looking about as pathetic as you can - expecting to go for a swim ( threw my phone over first :thumbsup: Made it!!!:rolleyes:
SO I took the photo of My Very cool Lambsfoot on the post of the Bridge :thumbsup: Slack photo I know - but hey, beggars are not often choosers!:)

bUrKC8F.jpg

John Paul Jones!

36039198833_bb834a6ff1.jpg

Now here in the UK we know of John Paul Jones as the U.S Navy commander who defeated the Royal Navy in a battle off the Yorkshire coast. I'm sure this is well known history for you folks; not so well known here in the UK.
http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/article.php?article=162

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Flamborough_Head

Hope everyone's week is off to a good start. Playing around this holiday Monday with two favorites in the pocket.

RTafeM8.jpg

I've got to say I have enjoyed everyone's slingshot input. I have an old Milbro to which is attached Theraband but I think it's at a mates in Yorkshire at the mo'.

Sorry to hear that mate :( Get some Henderson's on it! It may not help with the injury, but at least you'll smell nice! :D :thumbsup:

And if I amputated it and cooked it up with Yorkshire pudds and roast parsnips it would taste even better.:D

Where I come from, one often drinks sherry off the floor of an English cathedral.
Hey, you Episcopalian foxes... In my country I have been cured many times.

That's one way of ensuring miracles happen. :)

fDOJQPv.jpg

One of the interesting things I found about the swayback handle is it sits so nicely in the palm, that other handle shapes like symmetrical swell ends, or equal enders can feel a little ‘loose’ in hand, afterwards.

The HH Barlow is also very comfortable, but the palmswell is lateral, across the thickness of the handle, rather than in the vertical plane like the standard swayback Lambsfoot handle.

pvt4gFJ.jpg

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the Lefty has a thicker cover scale on the palm side when held left handed, which as Rachel has noted, actually makes a knife very comfortable to hold.

I think if I was ordering a full custom stag knife, I would actually want it to be asymmetrically thicker in that way.

Aye the stag on my HHB looks just like that. It is indeed a very ergonomic knife due to the cut of the stag. Great collection you have there. :):thumbsup:

All this talk of Stag prompted me to go and gather my meager assortment together for a bit of a shoot.

YdYzalF.jpg

Vg0JkOA.jpg

4Abgu8v.jpg

There's nothing meagre about that collection. That's as finer assortment of stag as anyone's seen. :):thumbsup:

I visited two of our cathedrals over the weekend. The second was Hereford cathedral.
From across the River Wye.
mb5pMFE.jpg

Founded in 696 the church is a mix of Norman and Perpendicular.
VaFzOwa.jpg

reYz763.jpg

My HHB on the Norman font. The worn carvings are of the 12 Apostles.
htMAuCC.jpg

And I'll show you this as it's unusual. This is the Holy Shrine of St' Thomas Cantilupe, Bishop of Hereford 1275 to 1282. It's unusual as virtually no medieval shrines exist in England as they were all destroyed. First during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 and then during our Civil Wars (1642-1651).
The stone base is the genuine medieval, the colourful top dates from the 1990's.
JHn3MH1.jpg

Oh yes, it’d be a hard choice, but if I was limited to just eating the dishes of one national cuisine for the rest of my days, Vietnamese would have to be one of the top three.

Yeah, I’m afraid the Penfolds Grange prices have been jacked up due to becoming a status symbol, like DeBeers diamonds.

Some of the vintners are also turning out some excellent beers. I had this cracking Imperial Ale from the Barossa Valley this past weekend (where the Penfolds vineyards are). Pictured with my Michael May Lambsfoot.

mAZtp1k.jpg

Cheers mate, I was actually thinking of you when I put that together - some excellent Wensleydale, Leicestershire and aged Irish Cheddar’s in there under the tomato and pickles, and Ironwood.;)

Here’s mine, Natchezz, along with my candle-end stag Lefty, a bone handled Unity, and my contoured ol’ Ebony for reference.

fDOJQPv.jpg

One of the interesting things I found about the swayback handle is it sits so nicely in the palm, that other handle shapes like symmetrical swell ends, or equal enders can feel a little ‘loose’ in hand, afterwards.

The HH Barlow is also very comfortable, but the palmswell is lateral, across the thickness of the handle, rather than in the vertical plane like the standard swayback Lambsfoot handle.

pvt4gFJ.jpg

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but the Lefty has a thicker cover scale on the palm side when held left handed, which as Rachel has noted, actually makes a knife very comfortable to hold.

I think if I was ordering a full custom stag knife, I would actually want it to be asymmetrically thicker in that way.

I consider that a high accolade my friend, and will try to extend my knowledge of Vietnamese cuisine. We don't have a lot of Vietnamese restaurants roundabouts, and I have mainly eaten Vietnamese food in Paris. I like the informal and friendly nature of the market stall though, as well as the delicious food. I have a friend who lived in Vietnam for 2 years, and she has been very impressed by it too. I might have to see if I can get down there today :D ;) :thumbsup:

No doubt, a lot of Grange is just locked away for 'investment purposes', what a shame :(

That's very interesting about the beer production mate, that Imperial looks like a nice drop :) Great pics, as always :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Chin. :)
And I am feeling a bit better, got a ways to go yet though.

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better John, and I hope you're running around again soon :thumbsup:

@Prester John Jack Black Jack Black @Cambertree Lads, i can give you a heads up, Grange Hermitage's baby brother-St. Henri Shiraz is nearly as good as the hermitage and about 1/8 the price. Still expensive, but for a special occasion i would rather buy 2 or 3 bottles of the St. Henri. In my humble opinion, and no correspondence will be entered into.:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up mate, I can't remember if I've tasted the St. Henri, I've been to a lot of Penfolds tastings in the past, so possibly there, but I've not bought it. I used to be a fan of the lower-priced Bin 222 Cabernet and Bin 28 and 128 Shiraz, but because of the collapse of many high street names here over the past 10 years, I only see the cheapest Penfolds wines on sale now, which is a real shame :( I also have to say that my passion for wine is not at the near-obsessive levels it was 30 years ago! :D :thumbsup:

Good evening, folks.

Been a bit since I've chimed in over here. I've been busy as usual and I just don't have the same kind of time that I once had, my presence on the forums has diminished as a result, though I still do a fair bit of reading here and there.

I hope everyone is well, despite the internal drama, the shenanigans at Wrights, and such. Nothing more to say on that front other than that Jack is a capital fellow and not only would this be a lesser place without him, Wrights will sadly be but a shadow of what they could have been. It does not diminish the excellence of the pattern, however, and that is something to be quite grateful for.

An enviable assortment of stag, Jack! Each one is a treasure!

The AC I have is one of my most cherished Lambsfoot knives, Jack, I am quite fortunate and honored to have one.

All this talk of Stag prompted me to go and gather my meager assortment together for a bit of a shoot. I had one other in Stag but I gifted it awhile back, I hope the recipient is enjoying it as much as I did.

Each one of these is unique and excellent, I treasure them all. The AC has seen the most use and has developed the patina to speak for it, both on the steel and the Stag.

YdYzalF.jpg

Vg0JkOA.jpg

4Abgu8v.jpg

Great to see you Here Dylan, and thank you for the kind words, I hope you're well :) That's a fine stag selection my friend

Cimarron Strip

bDQV2bv.jpg

Hope you're finding the temperatures manageable Rachel, that's a nice pic of your 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

It never ceases to amaze me, the knowledge on the "Porch" knows no bounds.:D
Fp2rwtU.jpg

Looking good pal :) :thumbsup:

You are most welcome- you have some extremely nice older models of the Lambsfoot there my friend- simply Stunning.

Getting out and about today I was walking around the flood alley where they have a Culvert - and it has been raining lately- although it doesn't look much - the drain is only not quite a meter wide? - well looking ahead I saw the Bridge was under construction -so I had to jump over the quite fast flowing water- again only a meter wide if that- but I am recovering from a huge Operation and cant jump yet lol - so I gave it a go, I thought- well the worst that can happen is me end up on my back in the water - I was actually laughing as I went for it - looking about as pathetic as you can - expecting to go for a swim ( threw my phone over first :thumbsup: Made it!!!:rolleyes:
SO I took the photo of My Very cool Lambsfoot on the post of the Bridge :thumbsup: Slack photo I know - but hey, beggars are not often choosers!:)

bUrKC8F.jpg

That's very adventurous Duncan! :eek: Don't go overdoing it mate, nice to see your Hartshead Barlow out and about though :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a decent week so far :) I have a big list of stuff to do, which I'm sure I won't completely get through :rolleyes: Thought I'd put my stag Hartshead Barlow back in my pocket today. After the way the firm who made it have behaved recently, I really haven't felt like carrying it, but it's not their knife. Have a good day folks :thumbsup:

ULEFeXO.jpg

Now here in the UK we know of John Paul Jones as the U.S Navy commander who defeated the Royal Navy in a battle off the Yorkshire coast. I'm sure this is well known history for you folks; not so well known here in the UK.

I've got to say I have enjoyed everyone's slingshot input. I have an old Milbro to which is attached Theraband but I think it's at a mates in Yorkshire at the mo'.

And if I amputated it and cooked it up with Yorkshire pudds and roast parsnips it would taste even better.:D

Aye the stag on my HHB looks just like that. It is indeed a very ergonomic knife due to the cut of the stag. Great collection you have there. :):thumbsup:

There's nothing meagre about that collection. That's as finer assortment of stag as anyone's seen. :):thumbsup:

I visited two of our cathedrals over the weekend. The second was Hereford cathedral.
mb5pMFE.jpg

VaFzOwa.jpg

reYz763.jpg

htMAuCC.jpg

And I'll show you this as it's unusual. This is the Holy Shrine of St' Thomas Cantilupe, Bishop of Hereford 1275 to 1282. It's unusual as virtually no medieval shrines exist in England as they were all destroyed. First during the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1536 and then during our Civil Wars (1642-1651).
The stone base is the genuine medieval, the colourful top dates from the 1990's.
JHn3MH1.jpg

Great pics, and an enjoyable post, as always David :) Herefordshire is a beautiful part of the country I think :) Have a good day my friend :thumbsup:

Great pics, and an enjoyable post, as always David :) Herefordshire is a beautiful part of the country I think :) Have a good day my friend :thumbsup:

Cheers Jack. My first time around there but yes it looked nice. The Malvern Hills look interesting and of course from there I could spy the Black Hills of the Brecon Beacons. A part of the country that deserves a more thorough investigation methinks.:)
Hope you have a good day yourself. :thumbsup:

Cheers Jack. My first time around there but yes it looked nice. The Malvern Hills look interesting and of course from there I could spy the Black Hills of the Brecon Beacons. A part of the country that deserves a more thorough investigation methinks.:)
Hope you have a good day yourself. :thumbsup:

I had not been down that way until about 15 years ago, but was immediately impressed by the beauty of the countryside, and by the warmth of the people. I had some friends living in the Forest of Dean, which is made up of tiny hamlets and villages, with some lovely old pubs. They are very welcoming to strangers :) Not, "You're not from round here, what you doing in our pub?!" But, rather "You're not from round here, come and tell us about yourself and where you're from." I spent a nice Christmas down there one year, and have also paddled down the Wye (in a canoe I hasten to add) :thumbsup:

mb5pMFE.jpg

VaFzOwa.jpg

reYz763.jpg

htMAuCC.jpg

JHn3MH1.jpg
Pretty snazzy. I wouldn't mind being buried like that. No hurry, though.

I had not been down that way until about 15 years ago, but was immediately impressed by the beauty of the countryside, and by the warmth of the people. I had some friends living in the Forest of Dean, which is made up of tiny hamlets and villages, with some lovely old pubs. They are very welcoming to strangers :) Not, "You're not from round here, what you doing in our pub?!" But, rather "You're not from round here, come and tell us about yourself and where you're from." I spent a nice Christmas down there one year, and have also paddled down the Wye (in a canoe I hasten to add) :thumbsup:

Absolutely Jack I find people from the Midlands on down to be really friendly people. I sometimes have Shropshire patients whose polite attitude is a really contrast to the mardy bad tempered lot here in the north west. I was in a couple of pubs in Hereford and they seemed a friendly bunch.
Not been the Forest of Dean for 20 years but I really liked it. :thumbsup:

Pretty snazzy. I wouldn't mind being buried like that. No hurry, though.

Aye. At least finish your sherry... :D

“A Walk in Nature” # 60 ***
Good morning Guardians !
I'll "formally" :) conclude my walk in nature series with today's pics.
It has been a lot of fun to share with my fellow guardians a little portion of the world around me, not to mention a great motivation to exercise and get out more and pay attention to the little gifts that nature has for us.
I have "bonded" with my ebony lambsfoot and will continue to carry it in my walks.
As inspiration strikes I will snap more pics and share here but to make it easier I won't number the posts from now on.

"Long live the Lambsfoot"

BSqHlqz.jpg

y2kE9Mx.jpg

fRXWER0.jpg

Album:
https://imgur.com/a/S5jZPtE

Back