Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Happy Friday, Guardians!

I carry a lambsfoot...

O5EqwG0h.jpg

... because sometimes it's nice to share.

Hi Pinktoe, dive on in! :D None of Wright's Lambsfoot knives come with a half-stop. Some vintage models do, and the Waynorth Cutlery Lambsfoot knives too. I think your vendor needs to get a new tape measure! :D The blade on Wright's standard model I make as 6.5cm, just under 7.5cm for the Big 'Un. I guess the dealer is measuring the whole blade from bolster to point, rather than the edge (from the front of the tang to the point). The Big 'Un makes a great knife, but most of the ones you'll see here are the shorter size. Hope you get a good one, look forward to seeing more of you here :thumbsup:

Thank you so much Jack Black for your response! I appreciate the info greatly:)
(Small bummer about the half stop - just my personal preference).

As far as this eBay dealer’s measurements and info go: If their info is off, maybe they aren’t the best to purchase from. (?)

I have scoured the Internet looking for a good one at a reasonable price for some time (shipping is where these get me every time)...

Don’t get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to paying more for the quality, but if I were to get a clunker (as so many others seem to have received) having almost doubled my purchase with the shipping expenses... well, it makes me a little hesitant. :/

However, when (not if) I do get mine, you best believe that I’ll leave some fun posts here:)

Thanks all!

Cool picture, Jack. Hope you're able to get out for your walk, and hope it's enjoyable. Take pleasure in the simple things. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you John, I sat on that bench to eat an apple while out on a walk the other day. The bluebell was already there, so I just placed my knife atop it :) I had another nice walk today thanks :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians
Carrying my Ebony Lambsfoot for Black Friday. :cool::thumbsup:

Nice ebony John :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! The covers are much better in hand, I can't capture their glossy slickness or the semi translucency of the bone.

d1LWCD2.jpg

Are the covers bone Rob, or stag? :thumbsup:

Things move fast around here. Getting back to the suspenders, I wanted to mention another name for them even though the only person I ever heard use this was my dad. Galluses. According to the dictionary that word has been around since Arkansas became a state, 1836.

Very interesting. I've heard that word used in Scotland Les, though I don't know if it originates there. I've heard the word originally came from 'gallows', something which will hold up more than your trousers/pants! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Me too John :)
My ebony lamb for black Friday ... :cool:
( and Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, )
0vKr1rz.jpg

Looking good Dan :) :thumbsup:

My wife tells me that Black goes with everything. ;)

Happy Friday, Guardians!

I carry a lambsfoot...

O5EqwG0h.jpg

... because sometimes it's nice to share.

Mmmmmmmmm :) :thumbsup:

Thank you so much Jack Black for your response! I appreciate the info greatly:)
(Small bummer about the half stop - just my personal preference).

As far as this eBay dealer’s measurements and info go: If their info is off, maybe they aren’t the best to purchase from. (?)

I have scoured the Internet looking for a good one at a reasonable price for some time (shipping is where these get me every time)...

Don’t get me wrong, I am not at all opposed to paying more for the quality, but if I were to get a clunker (as so many others seem to have received) having almost doubled my purchase with the shipping expenses... well, it makes me a little hesitant. :/

However, when (not if) I do get mine, you best believe that I’ll leave some fun posts here:)

Thanks all!

To keep within the sub-forum rules, buying is not something we explicitly discuss here, but it's certainly a minefield. Sorry I can't be of more help. If you like half-stops, you might like to see if you can pick up a vintage model? :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians and anyone else looking in. A Jack Black Jack Black Jack Black SFO.

ThPkZfc.jpg

Nice to see Ed :)

I had a pretty nice walk again earlier, sunny here, but also pretty windy. Sat out in the garden for a bit when I got back home. Just as I was going back in, with a deckchair under my arm, a mouse ran in front of me, and ended up trapped in a corner next to the door. I was saying, the other day, that more birds die round here hitting my window than from cats. Well, my neighbour's cat didn't take any interest in the mouse at all, I don't think it even knew it was there. I took a few pics, and then thought I'd see if I could get the mouse to run over my Lambsfoot, but putting down my chair startled it, whereupon it actually ran up the wall, and around the cat, who still didn't show any interest! :rolleyes: I'm glad it got away anyway :D :thumbsup:

Az3AZ1y.jpg

QZLkQlA.jpg

Great picture.
What's up with the cats in your country?
They don't chase birds or mice?
Perhaps you are all feeding them too well? :D

Thanks John, I had take half a dozen before the cat even looked in the right direction! :confused: I lived in a house years ago, we had 3 cats, which largely lived on birds and mice. Then some old lady up the road opened a tin of gourmet cat-food, and we never saw them again! :rolleyes: I've seen cats round here HIDING from mice! o_O They wouldn't be getting fed at all if they were mine! :rolleyes:

I never thought about it Jack, good question, I took it and a 10X glass outside and compared it to stag and other knives that I'm 100% certain are bone. Looks like bone to me. The pinkish red hues near the bolster on the pile side have me wondering if it was dyed and faded or undyed and yellowed with age? It's an overcast day which helped with the pictures. Opinions welcome :thumbsup:

Are the covers bone Rob, or stag? :thumbsup:

BapCB24.jpg

Yo5gJJL.jpg

[QUOTE="Jack Black, post: 19767753, member: 150652"
I had a pretty nice walk again earlier, sunny here, but also pretty windy. Sat out in the garden for a bit when I got back home. Just as I was going back in, with a deckchair under my arm, a mouse ran in front of me, and ended up trapped in a corner next to the door. I was saying, the other day, that more birds die round here hitting my window than from cats. Well, my neighbour's cat didn't take any interest in the mouse at all, I don't think it even knew it was there. I took a few pics, and then thought I'd see if I could get the mouse to run over my Lambsfoot, but putting down my chair startled it, whereupon it actually ran up the wall, and around the cat, who still didn't show any interest! :rolleyes: I'm glad it got away anyway :D :thumbsup:

Az3AZ1y.jpg

QZLkQlA.jpg
[/QUOTE]
"I hates meeces to pieces!"
I saw a lot of chipmunks at the nature center this morning.
Don't know what made me think of this:
vgec3lK.jpg

Good morning Guardians, happy Friday !:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Dennis! The covers are much better in hand, I can't capture their glossy slickness or the semi translucency of the bone.

d1LWCD2.jpg

I never thought about it Jack, good question, I took it and a 10X glass outside and compared it to stag and other knives that I'm 100% certain are bone. Looks like bone to me. The pinkish red hues near the bolster on the pile side have me wondering if it was dyed and faded or undyed and yellowed with age? It's an overcast day which helped with the pictures. Opinions welcome :thumbsup:

BapCB24.jpg

Yo5gJJL.jpg

I'm very sorry Rob, I'd got confused by your previous post. Yes, that is most definitely bone, and a very beautiful knife, as is your stag Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

"I hates meeces to pieces!"
I saw a lot of chipmunks at the nature center this morning.
Don't know what made me think of this:
vgec3lK.jpg

LOL! :D Cool pic Jer :) :thumbsup:

I wish I'd had 2 hands free to take that cat and mouse shot! :rolleyes:

The most localised word I know of is one they use for a liquor-store in Sheffield, 'Beer-off', I've never heard it used anywhere else, not even in the neighbouring towns :rolleyes:

By coincidence, I was reading a book, (by a relative of @donn 's), about the author's childhood in Sheffield, and he used the phrase 'beer-on', which I've never heard before. At one time, it was common for people to send their kids to the pub, with a jug or bottle, to buy draught beer. The pub is referred to as a 'beer-on' because it has a licence to sell alcohol for consumption both on and off the premises, as opposed to a 'beer-off', more commonly known here as an 'Off-licence', which may only sell alcohol for consumption off of the premises. Well, it's only taken me 60 years to work that one out! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks Jack and no problem, it made me think about it, some of the 3rd cut stag is smooth and yellow and nothing was wasted back in those days. :)

I'm very sorry Rob, I'd got confused by your previous post. Yes, that is most definitely bone, and a very beautiful knife, as is your stag Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Harvey, that's a beautiful photo of your double-bolstered DamLamb, you've really captured it well :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack. (Playing catch up). What a fine collection of images and stories. From vintage Brewery to a nonchalant cat. Fine portrait, too. Also, almost page 2000. Pre-congratulations.

Whata Winner! A+!:cool::thumbsup:
Thank you Dennis. Wonderful image. May your weekend be good, my friend.

@Onebigbill - A fine image to show the beauty of your Hartshead.

@donn - Hope your visit and weekend goes well, David.

Good Afternoon Guardians.

J. Milner & Co.
7CCC7CFA-0552-4472-AA1C-1E691F1A550E.jpeg

Thanks Jack and no problem, it made me think about it, some of the 3rd cut stag is smooth and yellow and nothing was wasted back in those days. :)

I'm glad I didn't cause you too much trouble Rob :) :thumbsup:

A very tasty treat from a favorite local bakery. Fortunately they're still open for pickup of online pre-orders. :thumbsup:

:) :thumbsup:

Lol... :D:thumbsup:
I'm a horrible shot with my left hand. :(

Yes, same here! :D I had the camera in my top pocket, the problem was that I was carrying a chair, and wearing gloves! :eek: I wish I'd been able to hold the camera with both hands, then the photos might not look so grainy :rolleyes:

Thank you Jack. (Playing catch up). What a fine collection of images and stories. From vintage Brewery to a nonchalant cat. Fine portrait, too. Also, almost page 2000. Pre-congratulations.

Good Afternoon Guardians.

J. Milner & Co.
View attachment 1345043

Thanks Harvey :) Great pic of your fabulous Milner my friend :) :thumbsup:

My Sam Smith's beer tonight is their Wheat Beer, which I've only had on draught before, and not for some years. Pretty nice Wheat Beer, possibly even better better bottled, lots of banana and toffee. Wheat Beer isn't very traditional in Yorkshire, so far as I know, and you may wonder why the traditional Yorkshire brewery produce one. To understand that you would have to be able to understand what exactly goes on inside the head of the brewery owner, whose friends, if he has any, would call 'eccentric', and most folks, particularly in Tadcaster, would be considerably less charitable about. Politicians and murderers aside, he may well be the most hated man in the north of England. Smith's own their own pubs, with Billions of real estate around the country, and unlike all other British pubs, they only sell the beers them make themselves. Not only that, they sell their own distinct wine, spirits, mixers, bar snacks, and food. So they make a Wheat Beer because they 'make' everything else :rolleyes:

hD17FbR.jpg

Back