Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Sounds like you NEEDED the extra protein Dan! :eek: :D Those are fantastic photos my friend :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the kind words Dennis, it's great to see you here buddy, and that fine Golden Oxhorn Lambsfoot :) Hope you're doing OK :thumbsup:

That sounds like a wonderful weekend Ron :) Nice travelling companion too ;) :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Bill, it's a nice sunny day today, but the weather forecasters reckon things are going to change midweek. I just hope it doesn't change as dramatically as last year, when it didn't stop raining until March! :eek: :thumbsup:

Cool pic of your Barlow too Bill :) :thumbsup:

Nice find Jer, is it functional? Certainly an interesting old piece :cool: :thumbsup:

waynorth, Modoc ED and Haegar like this.
  2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Jack! It was a very nice and relaxing weekend. :) :thumbsup:

waynorth and Jack Black like this.
  3. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Must’ve been one of them posh pubs. ;) :D

Another great vehicular themed photo, Dwight. Have you ever driven up through Fayetteville and seen the place off the side of the highway that sells Unimogs and Pinzgauers? (At least, you used to be able to see it from the highway. I know they’ve made some changes to that section of 540/49.)

Fodderwing and Jack Black like this.
  4. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    LOL! :D I should have taken a pic of the group of local be-hooded teenagers smoking on the next table! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

btb01 likes this.
  5. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I don't know why I find that so cool! Is that something new to you? I love it.:cool:

6. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    It is Rosewood. Yes, it is a nice looking knife and it is darkening with use.

7. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Good morning. The wife and I are going to clean out and straighten up one of our storage sheds today. I'll put this two-blade Standard Lambfoot to use cutting boxes and tape. Actually this will be an exercise in futility:rolleyes: because as soon as we're done and shut the door, the next time we open it everything will look like a bomb has gone off in it.:eek: Somehow sheds have a magical way of putting themselves in a state of dissaray.;)

[​IMG]

8. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thanks. It does work; you give it a push and keep it going with the pedals connected to arms from the hub. There's a tin can to drizzle water on the wheel, to which I added some string to slow the trickle down, and I added the guttering to lead the runoff into a bucket.
    [​IMG]
    It's my brother's. It was in the basement of our parental abode for a long time, but it's been at his house longer. He needed to get it out of his garage to make room for a milling machine or something that's on the way.
    I have another one the same size in the garage, that has a trough under the wheel to hold the water.
    I saw one in an antique mall Saturday, with a wheel a few inches smaller, in a sturdy wooden bench with a motor belted to it, and half of a small tire for a water trough. $40, but I definitely don't have room for a third.

Fodderwing, Half/Stop, WHT and 7 others like this.
  9. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Very cool Jer :cool: Thanks for the info :) There was a feller (the last of the Furness cutlers if I remember correctly) still making Barlows with one of those (at Stannington, Sheffield), halfway through the 20th century :) :thumbsup:

10. Dschal

Dschal

Mar 18, 2016
    Yes. I made some roasted poblano corn chowder, with these and fresh local corn, and it turned out great.

11. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Storm 8593, donn, Modoc ED and 9 others like this.
  12. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Wow!! Those pedal wheels can be tough to use! Keeping the wheel true and wobble-free can be delicate!! I have seen a few many years ago
    ((1950s - 1960s!)
    I'd like to see an old Barlow known to be honed on a pedal wheel!!:rolleyes:

13. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Haven't posted here too much lately! My apologies!:(

Hat by Barry (@gunstockjack), Early Joseph Rodgers Lambfoot, which was a strong influence on designing the Waynorths!!:) Father n Son 1.jpg Father n Son 3.jpg

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 16 others like this.
  14. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Morning, for all the literary scholars out there,:rolleyes:, today is international Hobbit day. Betcha' didn't know that.o_O

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:thumbsup:

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 12 others like this.
  15. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    You've certainly had an interesting life my friend. :cool:

Thanks Jack. :)

Thanks Dennis. I hope you are getting along okay.

Glad you got to see them Ron. I am sure they are a very special couple.

Thanks Barrett. They are still there and go by the name - Swiss Army Vehicles -. :cool: First time I ever saw a Unimog was in Bolivia. I was instantly smitten!

I'm like Mark, Jer... Very cool wheel.

waynorth, Modoc ED, Ramrodmb and 3 others like this.
  16. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Thank you. I have to find a niche for it in the garage before it rains on that plywood sway-brace.

waynorth and Fodderwing like this.
  17. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks Dwight! :cool: They are a very special couple indeed! It’s feels like we’ve known them for years! :) :thumbsup:

waynorth and Fodderwing like this.
  18. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    MVIMG_20200921_184928.jpg
    Lil pile side action. Love these bolsters.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 14 others like this.
  19. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Love the wood.

20. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    The wood has so much character. I noticed the since on the pile side of the wood. Just adds to the knife!

waynorth and Jack Black like this.