Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Wow!! Those pedal wheels can be tough to use! Keeping the wheel true and wobble-free can be delicate!! I have seen a few many years ago
((1950s - 1960s!)
I'd like to see an old Barlow known to be honed on a pedal wheel!!:rolleyes:

Amazing how late primitive knife production has run in Sheffield Charlie! :rolleyes: I made a post about this in your Barlow thread some years back, it's in there somewhere! :eek: I would like to have explored the Stannington Barlow makers in the article I did with our mutual friend, but there wasn't space unfortunately :( I heard recently that a pub that had been owned by one of those fellers had been demolished. The row of houses where the pedal wheel Barlows were made is still there, but history is disappearing fast :( :thumbsup:

Haven't posted here too much lately! My apologies!:(

Hat by Barry (@gunstockjack), Early Joseph Rodgers Lambfoot, which was a strong influence on designing the Waynorths!!:)View attachment 1423475 View attachment 1423476

Great to see you here though Charlie :) Fantastic photo my friend, and it's nice to see some patina on the blade of that historic blade :) The Joseph Rodgers is a beautiful example of the Lambsfoot pattern, and now has added history in relation to the first US production Lambsfoot knives! :cool: :) Have you heard from Barry, I haven't seen him around recently? He did a great job with those caps. That's a nice colour there :) :thumbsup:

Morning, for all the literary scholars out there,:rolleyes:, today is international Hobbit day. Betcha' didn't know that.o_O

dccVYZB.jpg

5wR4mAw.jpg
:thumbsup:

I missed Hobbit Day :D No missing the great-looking horn on your Lambsfoot though :cool: :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1423687
Lil pile side action. Love these bolsters.

Looking like a well-loved Barlow should Taylor :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians! Hope everyone is doing OK, and that your week got off to a reasonable start. They've brought in some new lockdown measures here, expect there'll be more on the way. What a year! o_O Have a good day Guardians, stay safe, and hold those Lambsfoot knives dear :thumbsup:

h48xhZM.jpg

Haven't posted here too much lately! My apologies!:(

Hat by Barry (@gunstockjack), Early Joseph Rodgers Lambfoot, which was a strong influence on designing the Waynorths!!:)View attachment 1423475 View attachment 1423476
Great to see you here Charlie. It’s nice to see that pairing side by side. An old classic and a new classic! :thumbsup: I remember looking at that Joseph Rodgers at the factory in Titusville. It’s such a beautiful old knife. Looking at classic knives like your Joseph Rodgers along with Jacks recent offerings from Wright’s, it’s so sad to think about what is coming from Sheffield today! :(

View attachment 1423687
Lil pile side action. Love these bolsters.
Nice patina Taylor! :) :thumbsup:

Amazing how late primitive knife production has run in Sheffield Charlie! :rolleyes: I made a post about this in your Barlow thread some years back, it's in there somewhere! :eek: I would like to have explored the Stannington Barlow makers in the article I did with our mutual friend, but there wasn't space unfortunately :( I heard recently that a pub that had been owned by one of those fellers had been demolished. The row of houses where the pedal wheel Barlows were made is still there, but history is disappearing fast :( :thumbsup:

Great to see you here though Charlie :) Fantastic photo my friend, and it's nice to see some patina on the blade of that historic blade :) The Joseph Rodgers is a beautiful example of the Lambsfoot pattern, and now has added history in relation to the first US production Lambsfoot knives! :cool: :) Have you heard from Barry, I haven't seen him around recently? He did a great job with those caps. That's a nice colour there :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians! Hope everyone is doing OK, and that your week got off to a reasonable start. They've brought in some new lockdown measures here, expect there'll be more on the way. What a year! o_O Have a good day Guardians, stay safe, and hold those Lambsfoot knives dear :thumbsup:

h48xhZM.jpg
It’s sad news about some of the things happening in Sheffield. The cutlery history of Sheffield should be respected and preserved. It’s actually a very important part of the history of cutlery world wide. Great photo of your Hartshead Jack! :thumbsup:

Great to see you here Charlie. It’s nice to see that pairing side by side. An old classic and a new classic! :thumbsup: I remember looking at that Joseph Rodgers at the factory in Titusville. It’s such a beautiful old knife. Looking at classic knives like your Joseph Rodgers along with Jacks recent offerings from Wright’s, it’s so sad to think about what is coming from Sheffield today! :(

Nice patina Taylor! :) :thumbsup:

It’s sad news about some of the things happening in Sheffield. The cutlery history of Sheffield should be respected and preserved. It’s actually a very important part of the history of cutlery world wide. Great photo of your Hartshead Jack! :thumbsup:

Sheffield cutlers were never well paid, but they took a pride in their work, which is rarely seen today unfortunately :(

Even worse things are happening in the centre of Sheffield, and inner-city, where most of the old cutlery works were once based, I'm afraid :( Numerous old factories which I photographed for my Sheffield factories thread, (which I can sadly no longer edit or update), just a few years back have always been torn down, in spite of their history, and the fact they are supposedly covered by preservation orders :(

Good morning y’all! Like it’s been happening a lot lately, Big Eb has found his way back in the pocket again today! ;) Y’all be safe out there! :thumbsup:

50371183757_0c737f6bec_o_d.jpg

Glad you're enjoying Big Eb Ron :) :thumbsup:

Souper stag! :cool: :D :thumbsup:

I missed Hobbit Day :D No missing the great-looking horn on your Lambsfoot though :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Looking like a well-loved Barlow should Taylor :cool: :) :thumbsup:

h48xhZM.jpg
I had to go into town this morning, so got myself a tasty treat to go with my coffee ;) :thumbsup:

FZvK5X8.jpg
Jack, nice photos of your HHB and that Napolean pastry (at least that's what it looks like:)) looks awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians and everyone. Going to be a busy week or two and my good luck charm will be with me; my HHB.
IMG_2531.JPG

Morning, for all the literary scholars out there,:rolleyes:, today is international Hobbit day. Betcha' didn't know that.o_O

I did not know that. :D I’ve recently been reading The Hobbit to Eleanor, my 4-year-old, before bed every night.

Thanks Barrett. They are still there and go by the name - Swiss Army Vehicles -. :cool: First time I ever saw a Unimog was in Bolivia. I was instantly smitten!

That’s the place! :D In high school I tried to convince my dad that we should get my first vehicle there, but he didn’t go for it. ;) I got the Checker instead.

fBmbp9r.jpg

Seems like we used to see a lot more horn in this thread.

6pHnRmw.jpg

7fpv78p.jpg

I was amazed to learn that they were still hand-cutting file teeth in Sheffield in the 1950s. (If I remember aright)

Crazy isn't it (even later than that, in a few cases, I think)?! :rolleyes: Those Sheffield gaffers didn't like investing in machinery when labour was so cheap o_O Of course there is an upside to that for knife collectors in being able to buy handmade knives, (even ones with hand-forged blades from just a few decades back), relatively inexpensively. It does make me laugh when I see the claims by some factories to produce handmade knives, often alongside videos of their highly automated process :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

In high school I tried to convince my dad that we should get my first vehicle there, but he didn’t go for it. ;) I got the Checker instead.

fBmbp9r.jpg

Seems like we used to see a lot more horn in this thread.

6pHnRmw.jpg

7fpv78p.jpg

Very cool Barrett :cool: You're right about the horn :) :thumbsup:

What money wants, money gets, I always say.
(It doesn't bother me a bit to be tiresomely repetitious.)
IDSxCs2.jpg

-

Very true Jer o_O :thumbsup: That looks like an interesting read :D :thumbsup:

Those are such cool vehicles. I have ridden hundreds of miles in those rigs when I worked for Missouri Pacific railroad. We would hog-out (12 hrs) somewhere on the line and a checker would come pick us up and drop off another crew. Also would deadhead in them.

Have a great day y'all.View attachment 1423819

What a fantastic photo Dwight! :cool: Thanks for all your efforts my friend :) :thumbsup:

Here's some horn ;) :thumbsup:

Yywwknz.jpg

ew385b2.jpg

qoYxyGc.jpg

6UD11GF.jpg

9bXzhJc.jpg

I'll have to get the safe open at some point ;) :thumbsup:

Members of the Porch and Guardians!!! It finally happened. I received my Waynorth Lambsfoot yesterday, and it is absolutely perfect in every way. I can’t believe I’m so excited to receive a knife, but WOW, just amazing.
I’m hoping I can now officially be a Guardian and it is not taken lightly. ;)
Here she is in all her glory. :D
E3862A6B-C6CE-4FB6-BABA-134FAA468F04.jpeg

Last edited:
Another morning. Well, we didn't finish the storage shed yesterday so we'll finish it up today. The two-blade Standard did a good job yesterday so I'll use it again today. Funny, no matter how much you shuffle things around a storage shed, repack boxes, and hang up things that are meant to be hung up, a storage shed is never done.:(

6yH2CyL.jpg

Hey Guardians! Seems like just yesterday Jack was having a GAW for hitting 1000 pages :)

I caught wind of some of the Sheffield news at some point but am trying to go back through this thread to catch up on things (much easier said than done). Based on the recent comments, my assumption is things are not going well.

Hope everyone is doing ok in these interesting times :thumbsup:

Members of the Porch and Guardians!!! It finally happened. I received my Waynorth Lambsfoot yesterday, and it is absolutely perfect in every way. I can’t believe I’m so excited to receive a knife, but WOW, just amazing.
I’m hoping I can now officially be a Guardian and it is not taken lightly. ;)
Here she is in all her glory. :D
View attachment 1423894

(To respect Guardianship and Jack Black Jack Black ’s request, I have kept the big brother’s blade closed. Just wanted to show how excited I am to have a perfectly matching set! If this is unacceptable, I can post a photo of her by herself. Now for some patina on the siblings.)

Congratulations on managing to acquire that fine-looking Waynorth Lambsfoot, and welcome to the Guardians, it's great to have you here :) However, you do need to replace that photo please, I'm sure you can show the pair in the EDC thread. The first duty of a Guardian is to read this :thumbsup:

Congratulations on managing to acquire that fine-looking Waynorth Lambsfoot, and welcome to the Guardians, it's great to have you here :) However, you do need to replace that photo please, I'm sure you can show the pair in the EDC thread. The first duty of a Guardian is to read this :thumbsup:

Done and done...with apologies.

Hey Guardians! Seems like just yesterday Jack was having a GAW for hitting 1000 pages :)

I caught wind of some of the Sheffield news at some point but am trying to go back through this thread to catch up on things (much easier said than done). Based on the recent comments, my assumption is things are not going well.

Hope everyone is doing ok in these interesting times :thumbsup:

Good to see you here Darren :) There've been a lot of posts, (and a good few giveaways), since then my friend :D Sadly, there was no possibility of getting a Guardians knife made this year, though as things have turned out, with the current pandemic, logistics would have almost certainly prevented it anyway. However, as things stand, I'm afraid I don't anticipate being able to get knives of an acceptable quality made in Sheffield in the near future :(

Back