1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Amazing how late primitive knife production has run in Sheffield Charlie! :rolleyes: I made a post about this in your Barlow thread some years back, it's in there somewhere! :eek: I would like to have explored the Stannington Barlow makers in the article I did with our mutual friend, but there wasn't space unfortunately :( I heard recently that a pub that had been owned by one of those fellers had been demolished. The row of houses where the pedal wheel Barlows were made is still there, but history is disappearing fast :( :thumbsup:

Great to see you here though Charlie :) Fantastic photo my friend, and it's nice to see some patina on the blade of that historic blade :) The Joseph Rodgers is a beautiful example of the Lambsfoot pattern, and now has added history in relation to the first US production Lambsfoot knives! :cool: :) Have you heard from Barry, I haven't seen him around recently? He did a great job with those caps. That's a nice colour there :) :thumbsup:

I missed Hobbit Day :D No missing the great-looking horn on your Lambsfoot though :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Looking like a well-loved Barlow should Taylor :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Good Morning Guardians! Hope everyone is doing OK, and that your week got off to a reasonable start. They've brought in some new lockdown measures here, expect there'll be more on the way. What a year! o_O Have a good day Guardians, stay safe, and hold those Lambsfoot knives dear :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 13 others like this.
  2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Great to see you here Charlie. It’s nice to see that pairing side by side. An old classic and a new classic! :thumbsup: I remember looking at that Joseph Rodgers at the factory in Titusville. It’s such a beautiful old knife. Looking at classic knives like your Joseph Rodgers along with Jacks recent offerings from Wright’s, it’s so sad to think about what is coming from Sheffield today! :(

Nice patina Taylor! :) :thumbsup:

It’s sad news about some of the things happening in Sheffield. The cutlery history of Sheffield should be respected and preserved. It’s actually a very important part of the history of cutlery world wide. Great photo of your Hartshead Jack! :thumbsup:

waynorth, Modoc ED, tmd_87 and 2 others like this.
  3. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Good morning y’all! Like it’s been happening a lot lately, Big Eb has found his way back in the pocket again today! ;) Y’all be safe out there! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

donn, Pàdruig, Dschal and 14 others like this.
  4. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 15 others like this.
  5. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Sheffield cutlers were never well paid, but they took a pride in their work, which is rarely seen today unfortunately :(

Even worse things are happening in the centre of Sheffield, and inner-city, where most of the old cutlery works were once based, I'm afraid :( Numerous old factories which I photographed for my Sheffield factories thread, (which I can sadly no longer edit or update), just a few years back have always been torn down, in spite of their history, and the fact they are supposedly covered by preservation orders :(

Glad you're enjoying Big Eb Ron :) :thumbsup:

Souper stag! :cool: :D :thumbsup:

waynorth, Modoc ED and tmd_87 like this.
  6. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    I had to go into town this morning, so got myself a tasty treat to go with my coffee ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 15 others like this.
  7. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    [​IMG]

Dschal, Half/Stop, waynorth and 10 others like this.
  8. Onebigbill

Onebigbill Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2019
    Jack, nice photos of your HHB and that Napolean pastry (at least that's what it looks like:)) looks awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians and everyone. Going to be a busy week or two and my good luck charm will be with me; my HHB.
    IMG_2531.JPG

peanutsxx, Pàdruig, Dschal and 13 others like this.
  9. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I was amazed to learn that they were still hand-cutting file teeth in Sheffield in the 1950s. (If I remember aright)

waynorth, Modoc ED and Jack Black like this.
  10. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    I did not know that. :D I’ve recently been reading The Hobbit to Eleanor, my 4-year-old, before bed every night.

That’s the place! :D In high school I tried to convince my dad that we should get my first vehicle there, but he didn’t go for it. ;) I got the Checker instead.

[​IMG]

Seems like we used to see a lot more horn in this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

peanutsxx, donn, Pàdruig and 14 others like this.
  11. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    What money wants, money gets, I always say.
    (It doesn't bother me a bit to be tiresomely repetitious.)
    [​IMG]

-

12. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
    Many thanks, Dennis.:):thumbsup::thumbsup:

waynorth likes this.
  13. Fodderwing

Fodderwing Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 31, 2017
    Those are such cool vehicles. I have ridden hundreds of miles in those rigs when I worked for Missouri Pacific railroad. We would hog-out (12 hrs) somewhere on the line and a checker would come pick us up and drop off another crew. Also would deadhead in them.

Have a great day y'all. IMG_5217.jpeg

peanutsxx, donn, Pt-Luso and 16 others like this.
  14. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Crazy isn't it (even later than that, in a few cases, I think)?! :rolleyes: Those Sheffield gaffers didn't like investing in machinery when labour was so cheap o_O Of course there is an upside to that for knife collectors in being able to buy handmade knives, (even ones with hand-forged blades from just a few decades back), relatively inexpensively. It does make me laugh when I see the claims by some factories to produce handmade knives, often alongside videos of their highly automated process :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Very cool Barrett :cool: You're right about the horn :) :thumbsup:

Very true Jer o_O :thumbsup: That looks like an interesting read :D :thumbsup:

What a fantastic photo Dwight! :cool: Thanks for all your efforts my friend :) :thumbsup:

Here's some horn ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to get the safe open at some point ;) :thumbsup:

15. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Members of the Porch and Guardians!!! It finally happened. I received my Waynorth Lambsfoot yesterday, and it is absolutely perfect in every way. I can’t believe I’m so excited to receive a knife, but WOW, just amazing.
    I’m hoping I can now officially be a Guardian and it is not taken lightly. ;)
    Here she is in all her glory. :D
    E3862A6B-C6CE-4FB6-BABA-134FAA468F04.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Peregrin, donn, Pt-Luso and 12 others like this.
  16. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Another morning. Well, we didn't finish the storage shed yesterday so we'll finish it up today. The two-blade Standard did a good job yesterday so I'll use it again today. Funny, no matter how much you shuffle things around a storage shed, repack boxes, and hang up things that are meant to be hung up, a storage shed is never done.:(

[​IMG]

Peregrin, Pt-Luso, WHT and 11 others like this.
  17. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    Hey Guardians! Seems like just yesterday Jack was having a GAW for hitting 1000 pages :)

I caught wind of some of the Sheffield news at some point but am trying to go back through this thread to catch up on things (much easier said than done). Based on the recent comments, my assumption is things are not going well.

Hope everyone is doing ok in these interesting times :thumbsup:

18. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Congratulations on managing to acquire that fine-looking Waynorth Lambsfoot, and welcome to the Guardians, it's great to have you here :) However, you do need to replace that photo please, I'm sure you can show the pair in the EDC thread. The first duty of a Guardian is to read this :thumbsup:

waynorth, waverave and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  19. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Done and done...with apologies.

20. Jack Black

Dec 2, 2005
    Good to see you here Darren :) There've been a lot of posts, (and a good few giveaways), since then my friend :D Sadly, there was no possibility of getting a Guardians knife made this year, though as things have turned out, with the current pandemic, logistics would have almost certainly prevented it anyway. However, as things stand, I'm afraid I don't anticipate being able to get knives of an acceptable quality made in Sheffield in the near future :(