Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Thanks for the pics from your walk, Jack Black Jack Black !!
I am still quarantined, but I feel like I went somewhere today!!:eek:
:D

I wish I could send you some sunshine Charlie, but it's another wet and dreary day here :( Hope things are better soon my friend, here's an old pic ;) :thumbsup:

He3SfAy.jpg

Jack that Hartshead is looking so so good! Every time you post a picture I find myself going mmmmm nice!

Thanks a lot Duncan, it's certainly taken over my pocket my friend :)

Jack I love those Both! that replacement Knife - I think is a very nice looking Knife, a very nice replacement of they first handed to you! Nice looking Handles!!!:thumbsup:
I love Marmite as well :D

Thanks again brother, I hope you're doing well there :) :thumbsup:

Outside of the knives I’ve acquired from you Jack, I have only had one experience with Wright’s and a UK dealer. That would be Big Rosie. I got her off the big auction site. She’s a far cry from perfect, having several flaws. But she’s solid and stout and a favorite! :) :thumbsup:

Nice photo of your Hartshead Jack! :) :thumbsup:

Glad y’all were able to get a short walk in Jack. Thanks for the photos! :) :thumbsup:

A few flaws can be forgiven with an inexpensive knife I think Ron, I just wish most of Wright's standard line had flaws which were consistent :rolleyes: :D Big Rosie is a solid user my friend, thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

We had a cold front go through here last night so it is raining and about 50 deg., and supposed to get to about 70 degrees later today. Two days ago it was 95 deg.,and up in the north of our state is still going to be 110 deg., today. Those apples, Jack, are they from an orchard? they look too good to have been stuck in a cold room for 6 months then sold at a supermarket. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving weekend and has a good week, take care all.;)
hkUsKAF.jpg

That's quite a weather variation Leon o_O Those apples were from the supermarket I'm afraid, but they're British organic apples, so hopefully a little fresher than some :rolleyes: Some nice wood on that knife mate, who is the maker, my memory fails me - as does my eyesight! :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

Good afternoon Guardians! I hope y’all are doing well today. Somehow this rascal has ended up in my pocket again today! Be well my friends! :) :thumbsup:

50240224211_59562d0b30_o_d.jpg

Nice choice Ron :) Nice photo too :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Ron, I think you are right- most of my Lambfoots are quite a hard pull,one is almost 10.5 out of 10 lol, I still cannot put my Stag Arthurs Choice away when swapping the edc rotation! Its such a treasure of a Knife!

The only one I've found overly stiff was a sample Barlow Wright's made for me at the beginning of this year, it was like it was completely seized-up! o_O I could get a good grip on the back of blade, but still couldn't open it (not the only problem with the knife either), and had to use pliers! :eek: In the end, I broke the corners of the tang with a file o_O Glad you're still enjoying carrying your Ashley's Choice Duncan :) :thumbsup:

I can understand your affection for the AC Duncan. :thumbsup: They really are special little knives! Here’s mine! :D

44736248301_b6d4780741_c_d.jpg

Great pic Ron :) Here's some more eye-candy for you @Campbellclanman ! :D :thumbsup:

ndAJaU7.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Jack, Dark & Stormies are one of my favorites, and a fine reward for the short walk :D

And since we're on a "Dan's Bowls" theme, I have been fortunate to receive a pair of them too ;)

View attachment 1463636

Good stuff Mike, they certainly cheered up my day! :D Great pic of your two beautiful bowls, and your Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

Greetings Guardians! And, a belated Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.

It’s been quite a while since I’ve checked in here, but all is well, and a lambsfoot continues to be ever present in my pocket. Of course.

I’ve not caught up, so please forgive me what I’ve missed. I hope that everyone remains healthy and that the lambsfoot flocks are continuing to give their owners sparks of delight as what may be a dreary winter approaches.

Speaking of lambsfoot flocks...

I carry a lambsfoot...

k90217rh.jpg

... because that plastic twine at Home Depot doesn’t cut itself!

Stay safe, Guardians, and keep the joints oiled and the edges keen. You never know when a chip butty may need sectioning. :D

Fantastic to see you here Greg, and I'm glad you're doing well my friend :) That plastic twine is a curse! o_O :D Are you picking up the tree there, your Lambsfoot is looking well-loved? :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a nice weekend :) It's another miserable day here, but I have plenty of work to keep me busy indoors today :rolleyes: Have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

Another pic from my walk yesterday :thumbsup:

wpBtMxc.jpg

I use my teeth for that job !!!:p:p:p:D:D:D:thumbsup:;)

LOL! Touché.

It’s great to see you and your Lambsfoot Greg! :cool: Hope y’all have been doing well in these strange times! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron! Yes, doing well, thanks. Work and projects around the house have been keeping me busy, but I have nothing to complain about.

Fantastic to see you here Greg, and I'm glad you're doing well my friend :) That plastic twine is a curse! o_O :D Are you picking up the tree there, your Lambsfoot is looking well-loved? :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack! It feels good to stop by. Maybe one of these days I’ll figure out how to drink from this fire hose of a thread to get my fill without getting soaked in the process. :D

Yes, that’s our tree: a Noble Fir this year.

wpBtMxc.jpg

Lovely photo!

Thanks, Jack! It feels good to stop by. Maybe one of these days I’ll figure out how to drink from this fire hose of a thread to get my fill without getting soaked in the process. :D

Yes, that’s our tree: a Noble Fir this year.

Lovely photo!

LOL! :D Hope you'll stick around for a while my friend :) Thanks a lot Greg, that's an old oak tree :thumbsup:

A knife shown by @TheFactor in the EDC thread caught my eye. It's the Rough Ryder Reserve Kayak. It has two blades, which are not dissimilar. Here's one of them, which I've seen referred to as a Sheepsfoot blade, and a Reverse Tanto blade.

UcRaDen.jpg

Not really a classic Lambsfoot, but a lot of the angles are the same. I've seen blades like this being used on modern folders too, and while the companies that make these knives may not know what to call it, I think it's interesting to see that folks know that it works. What do you think Guardians?

Oh, those look good!

I have not had any this season actually.
Took this pic last year around this time after being influenced to do so by a fringe cult of fanatics guarding some foot from a lamb :eek:

Stay safe, Guardians, and keep the joints oiled and the edges keen. You never know when a chip butty may need sectioning. :D

Hey Greg, good to see you :)
Hope your sourdough adventures have continued :thumbsup:

I am still quarantined, but I feel like I went somewhere today!!:eek:
:D

Thanks again Charlie for doing this for us Canucks :thumbsup:

A treasured item on my kitchen table Dan :) :thumbsup:

Nice bowl, Dan!! Your girls are so lucky to have music, and a talented Dad in their lives!!;) And nice knives!!:D

Beautiful bowl Dan! Nice photo with your Lambsfoot my friend! :)

And since we're on a "Dan's Bowls" theme, I have been fortunate to receive a pair of them too ;)

Thank you Guardians :)

I’d like to share the background story about this bowl.

xGRIaNt.jpg

Back in 2009 when I started turning I came across a simple webpage featuring some amazing turnings by Lorne Babb.
He was known among other things for turning hats that you could actually wear
Here he is with one of his hats.

2JNke5j.jpg

He lived close to me. We met a couple years later at a woodturners club meeting.

He had seen my video of the black locust bowl and a offered me some tips to improve my technique.

A big man of few words, I sensed a caring gentle soul.

He was in very poor health, but somehow managed to make it to the meeting.

Sometime later he was hospitalized.
I had the privilege of caring for him as his nurse.

We got talking about turning, he mentioned he had some unfinished rough bowl blanks in his shed that I could have.

I thank him and suggested I could bring him back a couple finished pieces to which his wife replied “ Nooo, the house is full of them already “ :)

A few days later he was discharged.
Several months passed and one day I picked the phone to call him.

His wife told me he had passed away.
She told me that once her son cleaned the shop she would call me about the bowl blanks.

Several months passed and one day she called me. I went to see her and we sat down for a few minutes to talk.

She told me he had been a wonderful father and husband and that the family remained very united.
“ You can’t ask for anything better of a man” she told me. I agreed.

I felt privileged to finish the bowl above and gave it as a wedding present for a young couple.

I wish I could send you some sunshine Charlie, but it's another wet and dreary day here :( Hope things are better soon my friend, here's an old pic ;) :thumbsup:

He3SfAy.jpg

A few flaws can be forgiven with an inexpensive knife I think Ron, I just wish most of Wright's standard line had flaws which were consistent :rolleyes: :D Big Rosie is a solid user my friend, thanks for the kind words :) :thumbsup:

Nice choice Ron :) Nice photo too :) :thumbsup:

The only one I've found overly stiff was a sample Barlow Wright's made for me at the beginning of this year, it was like it was completely seized-up! o_O I could get a good grip on the back of blade, but still couldn't open it (not the only problem with the knife either), and had to use pliers! :eek: In the end, I broke the corners of the tang with a file o_O Glad you're still enjoying carrying your Ashley's Choice Duncan :) :thumbsup:

Great pic Ron :) Here's some more eye-candy for you @Campbellclanman ! :D :thumbsup:

ndAJaU7.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a nice weekend :) It's another miserable day here, but I have plenty of work to keep me busy indoors today :rolleyes: Have a relaxing and peaceful Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

wpBtMxc.jpg
Thanks for the compliments Jack! I totally agree that certain things can be forgiven on a knife that is purchased with the intent of EDC use. Big Rosie was a bargain at the time I bought her. That's a classic photo of your Ashely's Choice. Beautiful knives my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks, Ron! Yes, doing well, thanks. Work and projects around the house have been keeping me busy, but I have nothing to complain about.
Glad to hear it Greg. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

xGRIaNt.jpg

Back in 2009 when I started turning I came across a simple webpage featuring some amazing turnings by Lorne Babb.

2JNke5j.jpg

He lived close to me. We met a couple years later at a woodturners club meeting.

He had seen my video of the black locust bowl and a offered me some tips to improve my technique.

We got talking about turning, he mentioned he had some unfinished rough bowl blanks in his shed that I could have.

I thank him and suggested I could bring him back a couple finished pieces to which his wife replied “ Nooo, the house is full of them already “ :)

She told me that once her son cleaned the shop she would call me about the bowl blanks.

Several months passed and one day she called me. I went to see her and we sat down for a few minutes to talk.

She told me he had been a wonderful father and husband and that the family remained very united.

I felt privileged to finish the bowl above and gave it as a wedding present for a young couple.
What a wonderful story Dan!

A legacy we should all hope to leave! :) :thumbsup:

I have not had any this season actually.
Took this pic last year around this time after being influenced to do so by a fringe cult of fanatics guarding some foot from a lamb :eek:

Hey Greg, good to see you :)
Hope your sourdough adventures have continued :thumbsup:

Thanks again Charlie for doing this for us Canucks :thumbsup:

xGRIaNt.jpg

2JNke5j.jpg

LOL! :D :thumbsup:

That's a great story Dan :cool: :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments Jack! I totally agree that certain things can be forgiven on a knife that is purchased with the intent of EDC use. Big Rosie was a bargain at the time I bought her. That's a classic photo of your Ashely's Choice. Beautiful knives my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Glad to hear it Greg. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

What a wonderful story Dan!

A legacy we should all hope to leave! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks buddy, when there's hard work to be done, my Rosewood Big 'Un is one of my number one choices :) :thumbsup:

Hello Guardians! :) Big Rosie is by my side today! Y'all have a blessed day. :) :thumbsup:

50661064201_bc7110094d_o.jpg

Nice choice, Big Rosie is far more glamorous than my equivalent :cool: :thumbsup:

Maybe I'll hollow this out and put a chipmunk trap in it.
H4CvJoN.jpg

I did a search on 'Chipmunk Girl', but it didn't get the spectacular result I got last time, just a lot of weird images (even weirder than 'Squirrel Girl'!) :rolleyes: We'll melt Jer's cold vegan heart yet Dan! :D ;) :thumbsup:

I just finished cleaning beer out of my keyboard o_O Now it both sounds, and feels, different o_O

That’s a nice one Ed. The folks at GEC really did a great job on Charlie’s Lambs! :thumbsup: :)

Thanks buddy, when there's hard work to be done, my Rosewood Big 'Un is one of my number one choices :) :thumbsup:

Nice choice, Big Rosie is far more glamorous than my equivalent :cool: :thumbsup:

I just finished cleaning beer out of my keyboard o_O Now it both sounds, and feels, different o_O
They are hard workers Jack. If Big Rosie finds out you think she’s glamorous she will probably develop an attitude! :eek: :D

Some nice wood on that knife mate, who is the maker,
It is a J. Rodgers, but one of their better ones. It is polished Rosewood, with polished stainless steel blade. It is one quarter inch shorter then the usual Lambsfoot, making it 3 and 3/8 inches. That makes it a really nice little EDC, just slips into the pocket beautifully.

Back