Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

I've always admired Pat Benatar, despite her resemblance to a red squirrel.

:D :D :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They are hard workers Jack. If Big Rosie finds out you think she’s glamorous she will probably develop an attitude! :eek: :D

:D :thumbsup:

It is a J. Rodgers, but one of their better ones. It is polished Rosewood, with polished stainless steel blade. It is one quarter inch shorter then the usual Lambsfoot, making it 3 and 3/8 inches. That makes it a really nice little EDC, just slips into the pocket beautifully.

Thanks for the reminder Leon :) Nice knife :thumbsup:

:thumbsdown: For me.
I am too conservative and traditionalist to accept it ;):)
Perhaps the next generation of woke guardians will embrace it :D

I wasn't really asking if anyone liked it Dan, but rather what folks think about this idea of reinventing something which already exists :thumbsup:

A knife shown by @TheFactor in the EDC thread caught my eye. It's the Rough Ryder Reserve Kayak. It has two blades, which are not dissimilar. Here's one of them, which I've seen referred to as a Sheepsfoot blade, and a Reverse Tanto blade.

UcRaDen.jpg

Not really a classic Lambsfoot, but a lot of the angles are the same. I've seen blades like this being used on modern folders too, and while the companies that make these knives may not know what to call it, I think it's interesting to see that folks know that it works. What do you think Guardians?
Jack it does sorta resemble a short stubby Lambsfoot. I think some of the companies that produce modern knives such as these have come to realize and may be trying to capitalize on what we already know. A Lambsfoot blade shape is a very efficient and effective cutting shape.

A knife shown by @TheFactor in the EDC thread caught my eye. It's the Rough Ryder Reserve Kayak. It has two blades, which are not dissimilar. Here's one of them, which I've seen referred to as a Sheepsfoot blade, and a Reverse Tanto blade.

UcRaDen.jpg

Not really a classic Lambsfoot, but a lot of the angles are the same. I've seen blades like this being used on modern folders too, and while the companies that make these knives may not know what to call it, I think it's interesting to see that folks know that it works. What do you think Guardians?

Fascinating. I’d love to know the design process that birthed its shape. Was it “let’s take a sheepsfoot and make it more modern looking by making it angular and swedging the spine”? Or was it “I saw this [lambsfoot] blade online. It seems to be popular, but let’s make it fit our aesthetic”? Or maybe they loaded a tanto blank upside down when they put it in the jig for the primary grind? ;)

There are only so many possible variations on blade shapes. I’m wondering whether they independently hit on a shape similar to the lambsfoot or if our beloved blade was its inspiration.

Hey Greg, good to see you :)
Hope your sourdough adventures have continued :thumbsup:

Thanks, Dan! Decided it would be better for my waistline to slow the baking down a bit, so the starter now takes long winters’ naps in the fridge most of the time, but I have baked a couple of loaves and a few pizzas over the past few weeks.

Glad to hear it Greg. Stay safe my friend! :) :thumbsup:

Will do. You too. :thumbsup: :)

When I look at the full picture of the knife in the EDC thread it seems to me that the spine actually starts out going upwards for a few mm up to the swedge and then changes direction and goes downward.

It also seems too short and stubby,... I have not seen a lambsfoot with those proportions yet or one with a long swedge covering most of the blade.

I doubt the designer was inspired by the lambsfoot to be honest as it seem to me a variation of the tanto/reverse tanto offerings on moderns knives which trace their origin from a different region of the world.

To me, in my limited knowledge, the lambsfoot is all about the well executed proportions and beauty of the whole blade as the picture on post #2 describes.
Edit: As I keep trying to fully understand the original question :rolleyes: :
I don't think that knife is trying to reinvent something that already exists

wHo8G7A.png

Last edited:
Jack it does sorta resemble a short stubby Lambsfoot. I think some of the companies that produce modern knives such as these have come to realize and may be trying to capitalize on what we already know. A Lambsfoot blade shape is a very efficient and effective cutting shape.

Apparently it was designed by someone called Andy Armstrong Ron. I don't know if he was influenced by traditional Lambsfoot designs, by 'Reverse Tanto' designs on more modern knives, or if he hit on that specific blade-shape entirely independently. I do think it's interesting that those particular angles, of the nose and the blade, shared in common with our beloved Lambsfoot, have been replicated in the design, presumably because the designer realises how well they work :thumbsup:

Fascinating. I’d love to know the design process that birthed its shape. Was it “let’s take a sheepsfoot and make it more modern looking by making it angular and swedging the spine”? Or was it “I saw this [lambsfoot] blade online. It seems to be popular, but let’s make it fit our aesthetic”? Or maybe they loaded a tanto blank upside down when they put it in the jig for the primary grind? ;)

There are only so many possible variations on blade shapes. I’m wondering whether they independently hit on a shape similar to the lambsfoot or if our beloved blade was its inspiration.

Me too Greg :thumbsup: I Can't see the extreme swedging being about anything more than aesthetics, and it seems to be contrary to good ergonomics :thumbsup:

When I look at the full picture of the knife in the EDC thread it seems to me that the spine actually starts out going upwards for a few mm up to the swedge and then changes direction and goes downward.

It also seems too short and stubby,... I have not seen a lambsfoot with those proportions yet or one with a long swedge covering most of the blade.

I doubt the designer was inspired by the lambsfoot to be honest as it seem to me a variation of the tanto/reverse tanto offerings on moderns knives which trace their origin from a different region of the world.

To me, in my limited knowledge, the lambsfoot is all about the well executed proportions and beauty of the whole blade as the picture on post #2 describes.
Edit: As I keep trying to fully understand the original question :rolleyes: :
I don't think that knife is trying to reinvent something that already exists

wHo8G7A.png

It is definitely shorter than a Lambsfoot blade Dan. Interesting to see the connection between our blade, and the knife industry's latest fad though. I guess that, as Greg says, there are only so many possible variations on blade shape, but also there are only so many Wharncliffe variations, (for example), you can sell, before you have to offer your customers something different :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, great as it always is to be shooting the breeze with you all, it sure is nice to be having some conversation about the Lambsfoot blade itself :) Unfortunately, my ability to communicate is severely restricted by a sticky keyboard this morning, and it's taking me an age to type a sentence o_O I hope everyone had a good weekend, and good luck for the week ahead :thumbsup:

IBjVHgW.jpg

UpvcXvd.jpg

I took my keyboard apart again, and cleaned it more thoroughly than I did last night. Unfortunately, there's something in WD40 I have a mild allergy too, brings on flu-like symptoms and slight breathing difficulties. It'll probably have evaporated by the time a replacement arrives on Thursday o_O :rolleyes:

gF6h00o.jpg

Hmm...looking at that photo, it looks like I might have to go in for Round 3 o_O

I took my keyboard apart again, and cleaned it more thoroughly than I did last night. Unfortunately, there's something in WD40 I have a mild allergy too, brings on flu-like symptoms and slight breathing difficulties. It'll probably have evaporated by the time a replacement arrives on Thursday o_O :rolleyes:

gF6h00o.jpg

Hmm...looking at that photo, it looks like I might have to go in for Round 3 o_O
Was catching up on the Guardians site Jack. WD-40 is a go to lube and cleaner for me but I have found to to be unacceptable on my firearms as it tends to remove some finishes that I don't want removed:eek:. My airguns especially but it does do a great job on the barrel interior at removing gunk and lead buildup. Have to be careful as it can hurt the blueing though. Haven't tried it on any of my knives.

Well I'm trying again to get my photo to upload... success! Hope all you Guardians, and everyone else too, had a good weekend. We mostly had cloudy skies, rain and cold. However, there's always lots to do inside.
IMG_2751.JPG

Was catching up on the Guardians site Jack. WD-40 is a go to lube and cleaner for me but I have found to to be unacceptable on my firearms as it tends to remove some finishes that I don't want removed:eek:. My airguns especially but it does do a great job on the barrel interior at removing gunk and lead buildup. Have to be careful as it can hurt the blueing though. Haven't tried it on any of my knives.

Well I'm trying again to get my photo to upload... success! Hope all you Guardians, and everyone else too, had a good weekend. We mostly had cloudy skies, rain and cold. However, there's always lots to do inside.
View attachment 1464515

Thanks for the tip on WD40 Bill, I didn't know that about it removing blueing :eek: I remember someone recommending camellia oil to me years ago, in fact Bernard Levine recommends it, or used to. It ruined the mirror polish on a number of pristine vintage knives, and I had to spend a lot of time cleaning it out of the joints after it set in there o_O

The site has been 'trying' these past few days hasn't it?! o_O I'm glad you were able to upload that photo in the end, nice pic :) Our weather is the same here, and I haven't been outside all day. I always have plenty to do indoors, but I've definitely not had as much sunshine and fresh air as I'd have liked this year :rolleyes:

Great pic of your flock Vince, hope you're doing OK buddy :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack. Doing fine. Had a great Thanksgiving weekend with family, and the weather finally cooled down. It's in the 50's! (Fahrenheit, of course--I don't understand the other scale.) Hope you have a good week, my friend.

Back