Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

View attachment 1481804 View attachment 1481803

It has been a long time since I had a Lambsfoot to photograph and post here, although I often check in to see the latest happenings. I asked Ashley Harrison of Wrights to make two knives for me, one is the standard 35 pattern we are all familiar with. The second is their 31 1/4 pattern. It is slightly shorter at 3.25 inches closed, but I really like the proportions. One is in Bog Oak and one is Purple Heartwood.

The fit and finish is above average much like the Ashley’s Choice Stag Guardian’s Lambsfoot knives, which of course were also made by Ashley Harrison. The blades are centered when closed and the action is snappy.

Ashley’s family has been making knives for several generations. He is carrying forward the Sheffield tradition.

I have read how hard it is for many of you to find a well made Lambsfoot. Well, this is your answer. If anyone would like to know more about my experience just send me a message.

Last edited:

Two fine-looking knives there Leslie (I much prefer the deeper nail-nick). Ashley is a good cutler (though I have in the past been asked not to use his surname here on this forum, which is why I've only communicated that information privately, and why I asked subscribers to my Lambsfoot email list to show similar discretion) :thumbsup:

I'd be interested to know in what terms your request for those bolsters was made. The reason I ask is that they are an exact replica of bolsters used on the 2019 Guardians Lambsfoot knives. While I realise that they are a traditional design, Wright's had never used them before, it was a good deal of work and expense for me to get them made, and Wright's made an agreement with me that any form of 'fancy bolstered' knife would be exclusive to my SFOs. Such an agreement was necessary to preserve the integrity of the Guardians knives. While it may seem a simple feature, I am dissuaded to take more complex designs to the firm, when there is a lack of trust.

Leslie, it's nice to see you posting here, but I'd be grateful if you could edit your post :thumbsup:

Edit - Sorry you're unwilling to do that Leslie :(

And folks wonder why they couldn't get a Guardians knife this year :(

Last edited:
What a shame to have to end a relationship that you Jack worked very hard on to recreate a Sheffield wonder- in which you succeeded.
Knowing these facts that you just posted should hopefully make Leslie think twice about doing business with such a company, certainly not a slight towards Leslie but now the facts come out, it is up to each individual to act on what Knowledge they have, and now that they have such knowledge whether to continue purchasing a product that is in breach of a previous agreement.

What a shame to have to end a relationship that you Jack worked very hard on to recreate a Sheffield wonder- in which you succeeded.
Knowing these facts that you just posted should hopefully make Leslie think twice about doing business with such a company, certainly not a slight towards Leslie but now the facts come out, it is up to each individual to act on what Knowledge they have, and now that they have such knowledge whether to continue purchasing a product that is in breach of a previous agreement.

Thank you Duncan, it is indeed a real shame, five years work and a lot of money down the drain. When people have sought information from me privately, I've always tried to be as helpful as possible, and very open, but I have to say that, in some cases that it is something I now regret. Please note, my friend, that I have now edited both this, and my previous post. Thank you very much for your support. The integrity of the Guardians knives was something that was very dear to our departed friend @Half/Stop and he sent me many emails and PMs on the subject. I was always very grateful for his support :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well Jack my friend, all I can say is I am scared that this will turn into a Political debate-on such a good Thread, so lets please everyone not do this- by all means to scold me or give me your opinion I totally invite pm's .
What I would like to say on a positive from a negative outcome is that the Knife World knows with your touch Jack there were some fantastic Knives produced - and they will last for quite some time yet and I am looking into the future now and seeing a discussion on a very old Lambsfoot that has certain Bolsters, a particular Length, extremely nicely aged Stag, and someone will find out that this particular Knife is a Knife that Mr Jack Black had made as an SFO way back in 2018/19, making the buyers purchase all that more special - and from that the history of how the Knife was to become will follow suit - so definitely a tick there my friend.
I am sure many of people out there Tip their Hat to you Jack.

Well Jack my friend, all I can say is I am scared that this will turn into a Political debate-on such a good Thread, so lets please everyone not do this- by all means to scold me or give me your opinion I totally invite pm's .
What I would like to say on a positive from a negative outcome is that the Knife World knows with your touch Jack there were some fantastic Knives produced - and they will last for quite some time yet and I am looking into the future now and seeing a discussion on a very old Lambsfoot that has certain Bolsters, a particular Length, extremely nicely aged Stag, and someone will find out that this particular Knife is a Knife that Mr Jack Black had made as an SFO way back in 2018/19, making the buyers purchase all that more special - and from that the history of how the Knife was to become will follow suit - so definitely a tick there my friend.
I am sure many of people out there Tip their Hat to you Jack.

Thank you for your very kind words Duncan, and I very much hope that doesn't happen, and that, as always, we can talk about the knives, rather than the buying of knives. I put 5 years of work into my SFO project, with the simple aim of making better Lambsfoot knives available, and did everything I could to boost the popularity of a contemporary Sheffield cutlers, which had hitherto had a very poor reputation here. I am saddened not to be able to continue the run of Guardians knives, as well as the Hartshead Barlow's :( :thumbsup:

(Please note this post has been edited).

Last edited:
Lets have no more discussion about purchasing.:). It has been a very traumatic year for a lot of people, so lets end it on a bright note. And i don't mean to sound like a smart alec, but just want to see all guardians end this year, get it behind us and not finish it on a sour note. On that note, i'm just about to open the bar and have one, and maybe several more for all you gents and ladies, have a good one.:thumbsup:.
Or should that be ladies and gents.:confused::rolleyes::D:thumbsup:.

Lets have no more discussion about purchasing.:). It has been a very traumatic year for a lot of people, so lets end it on a bright note. And i don't mean to sound like a smart alec, but just want to see all guardians end this year, get it behind us and not finish it on a sour note. On that note, i'm just about to open the bar and have one, and maybe several more for all you gents and ladies, have a good one.:thumbsup:.
Or should that be ladies and gents.:confused::rolleyes::D:thumbsup:.

Well said Leon :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good morning Guardians, not a good night's sleep for me I'm afraid :( I hope that everyone is doing well. I'm finding it frustrating to post from my phone, because I'm not very good at it, and I don't easily have access to the photos on my PC (I have huge admiration for those of you who manage better - @Cambertree , with his huge photo-rich posts springs to mind). Unfortunately, I'm still coughing like a good 'un, and I reckon I'm going to be stuck in the house for another couple of weeks yet o_O Hope the rest of 2021 goes smoothly for you :thumbsup:

IMG_20201229_161709949.jpg

Last edited:
Last week my lambsfoot was Black Jack:
pile-open-woods-jpg.1481451

This week, Cracker Jack will help me ring out the old and ring in the new:
cj-pile-vstand-deck-jpg.1481453

Two beautiful knives, Gary. But this stag is formidable.:thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Way back in March, @Reaper AL told us about some Lambsfoot knives he had had re-built and re-covered by a talented member here :) What Al didn't say is that he actually had 6 knives re-covered, 3 of which were for me. Such was the state of our postal service at the time, that I asked Al to put off mailing them, which must have been frustrating (thanks for your patience Al, as well as your kindness). Having updated him recently, the 3 knives arrived just in time for Christmas, a very generous and thoughtful gift, very much in the true spirit of this longstanding thread :) The covers are African Blackwood, Cinammon Giraffe Bone, and Apaloosa Bone, and the makeover is excellent. Thanks Al, and well done @jsdistin :) Some great talent here :cool: I hope to get some better photos soon :thumbsup:

yxnzATu.jpg

FMhfrZI.jpg

t8gcTBg.jpg

Fancy!
alBDOZU.jpg

Hope you start feeling better Jack!

Two weeks ago I was exposed to Covid. I started feeling some symptoms (stuffy, sore throat, aches, foggy, loss of smell and taste) it lasted about a week. My wife is now having those symptoms. She's on day 6. She is a nurse and worked the Covid floor on Sunday the 20th. She's off til the 3rd, unless symptoms persist. I'm just glad we haven't had to deal with the high body temps. I took a handful of vitamins everyday and a drank a ton of green tea. Beer tasted like bubble water. It was weird!

Back