Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Seems the poor quality coming out of Sheffield (from multiple purveyors) is steadily getting worse. It's pitiful and really disappointing and sad.

It maybe so, but I'm wondering if the COVID times demand increase has driven up the burden on the shops.

Also, I have posted in the 'barlow' thread regarding the recent A. Wright and Sons barlows/English jack I received as a package. They are solid knives, nice fit and finish (except for one barlow where the bolsters look uneven but nicely finished). Given the strong pulls and snaps, I feel more like the knives were produced to be put to work, which may reduce the refinement expectations for regular collectors.

I know I had to tinker with the lambsfoot to get it right but it now feels just right :)

Yes sir. It is one of Jack's SFO's from awhile back when he was "working" with A. Wright (or was it waging war? :rolleyes:). Thank you again Jack for bringing us some of the finest knives on BF.
Thank you euroken. Here is another pic of it.View attachment 1554201View attachment 1554202

By God! I just posted my first lambsfoot today and now I have a Grail (another one at that)!

Thank you for sharing!

Rough Ryder will come out with a lambsfoot if they think there are enough of us.
I suspect they have somebody who reads BF.
I would buy a RR Lambsfoot sight unseen and be certain of a very good chance that the quality would be there. I have been amazed at some of there knives. Not to veer too far off subject.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Seems the poor quality coming out of Sheffield (from multiple purveyors) is steadily getting worse. It's pitiful and really disappointing and sad.

I've been a long time lamb-lurker and the price of entry for these sheffield imports has kept me from pulling the trigger bc I don't feel I should see those quality control issues on a $100 dollar knife, but its probably only a matter of time until I succumb to the lamb.

Rough Ryder will come out with a lambsfoot if they think there are enough of us.

I could definitely get behind this idea. Would be great for the lambsfoot community to have a good entry level lamb.

That's bad news Mel :( Judging from almost all of the reports from our members, it seems that M. May buys parts from Wright's, and then puts them together even worse than they do! o_O Have you thought about putting a bit of Flitz on the tang before working it? :thumbsup:

Finally raised a burr on one side of the M. May. After a couple of hours on 320g, dropped to 60g to get there. I will say the grind line is very straight. Will get after the other side tomorrow.

I would buy a RR Lambsfoot sight unseen and be certain of a very good chance that the quality would be there. I have been amazed at some of there knives. Not to veer too far off subject.:rolleyes:
+1. The most recent had good enough F & F at the cost and domestic postage is more reasonable than international.

Yes indeed, and the worse thing about it is it's unnecessary, but the the remaining cutlery firms just don't care :( They're a disgrace to the city of Sheffield, frankly :thumbsdown:

Another fantastic photo my friend :) Even closed, you always seem to be able to capture the Damascus beautifully, in a way I really can't :) :thumbsup:

It maybe so, but I'm wondering if the COVID times demand increase has driven up the burden on the shops.

Also, I have posted in the 'barlow' thread regarding the recent A. Wright and Sons barlows/English jack I received as a package. They are solid knives, nice fit and finish (except for one barlow where the bolsters look uneven but nicely finished). Given the strong pulls and snaps, I feel more like the knives were produced to be put to work, which may reduce the refinement expectations for regular collectors.

I know I had to tinker with the lambsfoot to get it right but it now feels just right :)

Folks can go over to the Barlow thread to discuss those knives Ken :thumbsup: Most of the knives still produced in Sheffield are working knives to be sure, but I don't think that's an excuse for the shoddy rubbish that they are sending out, particularly to customers overseas, who cannot easily return them :thumbsup:

Yes sir. It is one of Jack's SFO's from awhile back when he was "working" with A. Wright (or was it waging war? :rolleyes:). Thank you again Jack for bringing us some of the finest knives on BF.
Thank you euroken. Here is another pic of it.View attachment 1554201View attachment 1554202

Well, they were making knives of my design, and to my standards, but sometimes it was certainly a battle to get the quality I wanted! :rolleyes: Thank you Dwight, I'm glad that another of those knives still gets shown here (and sad that the others don't) :) :thumbsup:

By God! I just posted my first lambsfoot today and now I have a Grail (another one at that)!

Thank you for sharing!

LOL! :D Good luck Ken, there were only 5 of those particular knives made :) :thumbsup:

I hope they do :thumbsup: Outdoor Edge produced a Chinese-made knife, which is sold over here as a Lambsfoot. Parallel spine and edge, but it's very close :thumbsup:

41lK4Nd2OuL._AC_.jpg

Same here :) One of the things that made me suspicious about the provenance of some of the TEW knives was the quality of their build :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

I've been a long time lamb-lurker and the price of entry for these sheffield imports has kept me from pulling the trigger bc I don't feel I should see those quality control issues on a $100 dollar knife, but its probably only a matter of time until I succumb to the lamb.

I could definitely get behind this idea. Would be great for the lambsfoot community to have a good entry level lamb.

Definitely not :thumbsup: Maybe it is worth looking round to see if you can find a vintage example :thumbsup:

Finally raised a burr on one side of the M. May. After a couple of hours on 320g, dropped to 60g to get there. I will say the grind line is very straight. Will get after the other side tomorrow.

Good news :) He gets the blades from Wright's unsharpened, but I really don't think he knows what he's doing o_O Good luck Mel :) :thumbsup:

+1. The most recent had good enough F & F at the cost and domestic postage is more reasonable than international.

Typically RR knives are 2-3 times US prices here, but still reasonably priced for the most part :thumbsup:

I certainly hope they do. I recently bought a RR Half Hawk (their version of the Ram's Foot) and it is a good knife and a great value. Too bad they only made a handful of different versions of this knife. A Rough Rider Reserve version of the Lamb's Foot would be most welcome and a must buy.

Bummer! Dump it and try another.;)

Sorry about the fuzzy photo...
zNfD3r9.jpg

It's £10 a bottle here, and I only had one :( Had to move onto whisky ;) Love the patina on your 2018 Mark :) :thumbsup:

I certainly hope they do. I recently bought a RR Half Hawk (their version of the Ram's Foot) and it is a good knife and a great value. Too bad they only made a handful of different versions of this knife. A Rough Rider Reserve version of the Lamb's Foot would be most welcome and a must buy.

We can but dream! :) I sure hope they do a Lambsfoot run, think it'd sell like hot cakes! :cool: :thumbsup:

Just Lambsfoot discussion here please folks :thumbsup:

Back