Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Jack "I'm In" for the GAW of the blade progression strip! Thank you for the opportunity to own one of these collectibles. In 1975 at the age of 20 I started a lifelong career in Tool and Die with a local range manufacturer. At that time I worked on many tools that were built in the same manner as the tool that produced these strips. I will have to say that with the advent of OSHA and other safety programs that focus on the safety of the workers there were no tools or presses of this type in use in my company after the early 80's. The tools consisted of three main components. The die section or the bottom with the shape cut in it. The punch, which is the top part of the tool that comes down and pierces through the blade material. And lastly the stripper if the tool is designed with one. The stripper actually holds the stock material when the press cycles to allow the punch to retract out of the material on the upward stroke of the press. In the early days I did everything from sharpening the tools to making patterns of the shape so the dies could be made to produce the part to the correct dimensions. I had a 43 year career with the same company that lasted until 2-1-2018 at which time I retired. I worked in every aspect of the tooling department. From the beginning as I stated, to a CNC programmer, to a tool designer, tool engineer, and to being the Tooling supervisor at the time of my retirement, being in charge of over 50 skilled tradesmen that built and maintained our tools. I can see where some people might consider this strip as undesirable, but I would be proud to own and display it in my home. :D Here is a photo of my Ebony Lambsfoot taken on the railing of an old deck in the back yard of my home. If I get a chance before Friday I will see if I can get a more appropriate photo.

37425253882_e14c7ba61b_b.jpg

Jack "I'm In" for the GAW of the blade progression strip! Thank you for the opportunity to own one of these collectibles. In 1975 at the age of 20 I started a lifelong career in Tool and Die with a local range manufacturer. At that time I worked on many tools that were built in the same manner as the tool that produced these strips. I will have to say that with the advent of OSHA and other safety programs that focus on the safety of the workers there were no tools or presses of this type in use in my company after the early 80's. The tools consisted of three main components. The die section or the bottom with the shape cut in it. The punch, which is the top part of the tool that comes down and pierces through the blade material. And lastly the stripper if the tool is designed with one. The stripper actually holds the stock material when the press cycles to allow the punch to retract out of the material on the upward stroke of the press. In the early days I did everything from sharpening the tools to making patterns of the shape so the dies could be made to produce the part to the correct dimensions. I had a 43 year career with the same company that lasted until 2-1-2018 at which time I retired. I worked in every aspect of the tooling department. From the beginning as I stated, to a CNC programmer, to a tool designer, tool engineer, and to being the Tooling supervisor at the time of my retirement, being in charge of over 50 skilled tradesmen that built and maintained our tools. I can see where some people might consider this strip as undesirable, but I would be proud to own and display it in my home. :D Here is a photo of my Ebony Lambsfoot taken on the railing of an old deck in the back yard of my home. If I get a chance before Friday I will see if I can get a more appropriate photo.

Okay, I'm in. If I win, send it to Ron. :)
I'll post pictures when I get to the computer.

Fascinating post Ron, thanks for sharing that my friend :) Whenever I have seen these sort of presses in use in Sheffield, either using a die, or just to punch around a pattern, the cutlers have just held the steel in their hands.

My dad did his apprenticeship as a machine-tool fitter with a firm called Walters & Dobson. They made a lot of the machinery which was used in the Sheffield cutlery and small-tool industry post-war. As a result he was always in demand to go and work at these firms and maintain the machinery.

Walters & Dobson 1.jpg

Walters & Dobson 1943.jpg

I only ever worked alongside my father on DIY projects at home, and despite the practical nature of his job, I have to say that I have rarely met a man who was more useless with his hands! :D As a kid, I even used to have to tie his knots for him when we went fishing! :rolleyes:

View attachment 889267

That is fascinating Ron, Half/Stop Half/Stop ! I hope you can work in details of your career in future forum posts here and elsewhere. I would love to know more about the tools you made and your career. I am in the giveaway Jack Black Jack Black and if I win, please mail it directly to Ron!

You are putting up some spectacular pics Leslie :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for entering folks :) Hey, if I'd known Ron liked it that much, I'd have just sent it to him! :D :thumbsup:

I'm also carrying my ebony Lambsfoot today :) :thumbsup:

AW Ebony Lambsfoot 23-2.JPG

Hi-yo, Guardians. I'm in on the GAW, and if I win, I'll gift the sheet to Ron.

@Chui-888 I did get some pictures for you from this weekend! The camping trip was to harvest ramps, which are an allium plant. These bright green leaves are edible and have an oniony/shalloty taste. There are fields of them up on these ridges, quite a site:
40628248695_f6584ec3f9_b.jpg

Here's a shot across a valley from our ridge to another ridge in the Pisgah. Not a lot of green in the canopy yet, as the elevation is about a mile above sea level, and we still get occasional freezing down in town in Asheville (a flurry of snow last evening, actually):
39712569930_15bf01cfb1_b.jpg

Here's my lambsfoot making an appearance at the spring near our campsite. There are several of these springs nearby, so we have nice fresh mountain drinking water every time we hike up:
26651608607_91d6d7fda2_b.jpg

The lambsfoot was actually the only knife I used. Plenty of dry seasoned wood was available to us, as you can see, so didn't need to do any processing as most of it that needed to be smaller was hand-breakable. All of the food prep I did, I did with this, too.

Here's an arrowhead that I started whittling to give to a little girl named Maple as a present. Her brother had an old rusty pocket knife that I cleaned up and retipped and sharpened, and so I wanted to have something to give to her, too, so she wouldn't feel left out:
26651607957_b61e9115e9_b.jpg

Interior of the ridge in the general camp site area. I think there were 11 of us plus a dog.
27651067898_96a755a3e8_b.jpg

Here's the arrowhead with finished shape. I am still going to sand the back because I'm going to tie a cord around it like a necklace.
26651607727_9fe09f2a93_b.jpg

39712569200_1568124609_b.jpg

Hi-yo, Guardians. I'm in on the GAW, and if I win, I'll gift the sheet to Ron.

@Chui-888 I did get some pictures for you from this weekend! The camping trip was to harvest ramps, which are an allium plant. These bright green leaves are edible and have an oniony/shalloty taste. There are fields of them up on these ridges, quite a site:
40628248695_f6584ec3f9_b.jpg

Here's a shot across a valley from our ridge to another ridge in the Pisgah. Not a lot of green in the canopy yet, as the elevation is about a mile above sea level, and we still get occasional freezing down in town in Asheville (a flurry of snow last evening, actually):
39712569930_15bf01cfb1_b.jpg

Here's my lambsfoot making an appearance at the spring near our campsite. There are several of these springs nearby, so we have nice fresh mountain drinking water every time we hike up:
26651608607_91d6d7fda2_b.jpg

The lambsfoot was actually the only knife I used. Plenty of dry seasoned wood was available to us, as you can see, so didn't need to do any processing as most of it that needed to be smaller was hand-breakable. All of the food prep I did, I did with this, too.

Here's an arrowhead that I started whittling to give to a little girl named Maple as a present. Her brother had an old rusty pocket knife that I cleaned up and retipped and sharpened, and so I wanted to have something to give to her, too, so she wouldn't feel left out:
26651607957_b61e9115e9_b.jpg

Interior of the ridge in the general camp site area. I think there were 11 of us plus a dog.
27651067898_96a755a3e8_b.jpg

Here's the arrowhead with finished shape. I am still going to sand the back because I'm going to tie a cord around it like a necklace.
26651607727_9fe09f2a93_b.jpg

39712569200_1568124609_b.jpg

Thanks for a very enjoyable post my friend :) :thumbsup:

Happy Tuesday, Guardians.

Though I would welcome the opportunity to have a piece of Sheffield history, I will waive my entry in favor of Ron. I am certain he will appreciate it immensely.

Nevertheless, I will provide a qualifying pic. This was a rather difficult picture to take. Sawyer here could not fathom why I was trying to put something non-food related near him. Finally got a capture where he had not moved...

bOdKyBZ.jpg

Fascinating post Ron, thanks for sharing that my friend :) Whenever I have seen these sort of presses in use in Sheffield, either using a die, or just to punch around a pattern, the cutlers have just held the steel in their hands.

My dad did his apprenticeship as a machine-tool fitter with a firm called Walters & Dobson. They made a lot of the machinery which was used in the Sheffield cutlery and small-tool industry post-war. As a result he was always in demand to go and work at these firms and maintain the machinery.

View attachment 889296

View attachment 889297

I only ever worked alongside my father on DIY projects at home, and despite the practical nature of his job, I have to say that I have rarely met a man who was more useless with his hands! :D As a kid, I even used to have to tie his knots for him when we went fishing! :rolleyes:

You are putting up some spectacular pics Leslie :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for entering folks :) Hey, if I'd known Ron liked it that much, I'd have just sent it to him! :D :thumbsup:

I'm also carrying my ebony Lambsfoot today :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 889298
Jack thanks for the background info on your father. I would imagine a man with the skills and training you mentioned could be in high demand around an industrial city such as Sheffield at that time. I noticed tooling of the same type as you have shown here at Great Eastern and also at Queen. It is a common way to produce blades, liners and even bolsters and was probably used by all the Cutlery companies in the world. With the onslaught of more modern equipment some of Great Eastern’s blades are produced on a water jet. It will leave a skeleton similar to the strips you have but it could also be cut from a much larger sheet using this newer method.

Happy Tuesday, Guardians.

Though I would welcome the opportunity to have a piece of Sheffield history, I will waive my entry in favor of Ron. I am certain he will appreciate it immensely.

Nevertheless, I will provide a qualifying pic. This was a rather difficult picture to take. Sawyer here could not fathom why I was trying to put something non-food related near him. Finally got a capture where he had not moved...

bOdKyBZ.jpg

Cool pic Dylan :) :thumbsup:

Jack thanks for the background info on your father. I would imagine a man with the skills and training you mentioned could be in high demand around an industrial city such as Sheffield at that time. I noticed tooling of the same type as you have shown here at Great Eastern and also at Queen. It is a common way to produce blades, liners and even bolsters and was probably used by all the Cutlery companies in the world. With the onslaught of more modern equipment some of Great Eastern’s blades are produced on a water jet. It will leave a skeleton similar to the strips you have but it could also be cut from a much larger sheet using this newer method.

Machine-tool fitters were regarded as the cream of skilled workmen in Sheffield at that time Ron, and he was 'head-hunted' several times, as was my uncle, who did the same job, and they often moved job together. He worked at Richards twice, but spent most of his working life at James Neill Tools (https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/James_Neill_and_Co_(Sheffield)), probably most famous for their blue Eclipse hacksaw blades. Despite knowing something of his work history, I still find it hard to believe he could fix a plug (I certainly never saw him do that)! :D Great information my friend :) :thumbsup:

Carrying this Alfred Blackwell today :) :thumbsup:

Alfred Black LF (2) 4-4.JPG

Back