Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hope you all had a happy Yorkshire Day. Our first foray into the chip butty was a success, no doubt - steak fries, sourdough bread, a little too much butter, and A1 as our brown sauce. As my wife said, "it's carbs on carbs - of course it's delicious." All washed down with Yorkshire's own Samuel Smith's Organic Cider. We are now watching "All Creatures Great and Small" to continue our Yorkshire celebration.

Worth reading: who wrote "The Greasy Chip Butty" song? And "The Chip Butty Is the Deranged Nonsensical Sandwich of My Dreams". 🤣

Since I don't (yet) have a Real Lambsfoot knife, no knife content in this photo. So I included my Craftsman forged Bottle Cap Wrench, just to have some cool hand tool in there.
ChipButty.jpg

After tea and toast (Yorkshire Tea and Leeds Bread Co-op Sourdough), I headed into town this morning, but was somewhat surprised by the lack of celebrating Yorkshire folk! 🤔

5pdAxG2.jpg

However, as I crossed the outdoor area of Leeds market, I spotted 3 individuals in flat-caps like my own, and wished them 'Happy Yorkshire Day!'. I was a little early to meet my girlfriend, and so sat down to check BF on my phone. I then noticed two of the people I had spoken to unfurling banners, while the third prepared to take a photograph. Feeling a need to document this celebration, I asked if I might take one too...

RidkDTi.jpg

Without any further introductions, I was immediately co-opted into the group, who it turned out were members of a local walking group, who were meeting up to celebrate Yorkshire Day. A few yards further on, there was the strange sight of an animatronic dinosaur. Over the past few years, when the kids are off school for the summer holidays, there've been a number of these in the city centre, some of which are very impressive. I'd seen this one the other day, but hadn't taken a close look at it. My first thought was that the cheap-skates of Leeds City Council were cutting costs, and making the creatures out of papier-mache this year! :rolleyes: It turned out that there had been a competition, and this was a Yorkshiresaurus designed by a local schoolgirl :)

Ti9Fn0b.jpg

W6KRHeE.jpg

I was pressed into service for a photo opportunity :D

8s07psY.jpg

My new friends took me off to see a mural, which a couple of young folks had just finished painting nearby.

KjXKXL0.jpg

After saying farewell, I headed off to meet Rachel, and we caught a bus to Kirkstall Abbey, the ruined Cistercian monastery we had failed to get into the other week :rolleyes:

6iVwkb7.jpg

zhqIsNk.jpg

(Some Lambsfoot content in that last one ;) )

We spent some time exploring the ruins of the ancient abbey, before walking through the woods, and along the River Aire, to our next destination, the Old Bridge Inn. The pub sits right next to the river, and is run by local Kirkstall Brewery, who make a great selection of ales :)

We had booked Sunday lunch in this lovely old pub, and it did not disappoint :)

ewBcEAv.jpg

wgoYjiN.jpg

ASFM3rb.jpg

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the beef wellington, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, roast parsnips, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, stuffing, and gravy before I ate it! :rolleyes:

k4ZOT5D.jpg

A good reason to get dessert ;) :D :thumbsup:

DxFTjjb.jpg

We decided to have some more drinks, sat outside by the river :)

yepBdKv.jpg

57IW1Dy.jpg

Cheers Guardians, Happy Yorkshire Day to you all, and thank you for making mine really special :) :thumbsup:

igqpW40.jpg

Returning home, we decided to watch a classic Yorkshire film - Kes :D

Dark & Stormys might not be the most Yorkshire of cocktails, but they describe the sort of weather we've been having recently! :D :thumbsup:

5h516SE.jpg

gC5FiuP.jpg

Excellent photos, Jack! Sounds like you had a great day! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (I particularly like the part where you were adopted by a group of fellow Yorkshiremen who were out celebrating Yorkshire Day.) 😁

😳😳😳

LOL! :D Fantastic Barrett! :D I love that photo of Eleanor, it looks like you had a lot of fun :) I might have to try a curly fry chip butty some time! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. It was a lot of fun! I’m still planning on trying some Yorkshire puddings later this evening, so we’ll see how that goes. :)

The curly fry butty was surprisingly good! (Are curly fries common there? I honestly wasn’t sure if they were a particularly American thing or not.)

😍 😍 😍 Great photo.

Thanks, Leon! 🙂

Sounds like the first one just needed more butter 😁

Maybe so. 😉😁

Your unconventional chip butty needed Arby’s sauce. 😁

I probably would’ve gone with Horsey sauce, but I didn’t have either available, because I didn’t actually go to Arby’s for the curly fries. They were Arby’s-brand frozen curly fries, which came out surprisingly close to the real deal. :thumbsup:

I think I may still have a bottle or two in the back of the fridge from my Sam Smith’s haul last year, might have to break them out tonight.

eK76zA1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I said in my previous post a few minutes ago that I was planning on making some Yorkshire puddings later this evening, but it’s already later this evening, because I started that post a couple hours and forgot to finish it. Which means the Yorkshire puddings have already been made, and I think they actually turned out pretty well!

q701Wzb.jpg

Of course, you have to have gravy (and a Lambsfoot), right? 😉😁

5pVOZtf.jpg

Ok, I said in my previous post a few minutes ago that I was planning on making some Yorkshire puddings later this evening, but it’s already later this evening, because I started that post a couple hours and forgot to finish it. Which means the Yorkshire puddings have already been made, and I think they actually turned out pretty well!

q701Wzb.jpg

5pVOZtf.jpg
You've won me. They look fantastic, you have done a great job there, they are not easy to make. :p :p :p :thumbsup:

Finally made a chip butty:

KJI49Lp.jpg

uCTJk9q.jpg

The lambsfoot sliced the potatoes well enough, and also served to spread the butter. Only seasoning was salt and pepper. Delicious! Didn't have any beer (Don't judge me!), so had some iced tea with it.
Wishing a Happy Yorkshire Day to all Guardians!

CHEERS Jack!
Cheers Taylor, thanks for celebrating Yorkshire Day with me :) :thumbsup:
Hope you all had a happy Yorkshire Day. Our first foray into the chip butty was a success, no doubt - steak fries, sourdough bread, a little too much butter, and A1 as our brown sauce. As my wife said, "it's carbs on carbs - of course it's delicious." All washed down with Yorkshire's own Samuel Smith's Organic Cider. We are now watching "All Creatures Great and Small" to continue our Yorkshire celebration.

Worth reading: who wrote "The Greasy Chip Butty" song? And "The Chip Butty Is the Deranged Nonsensical Sandwich of My Dreams". 🤣

Since I don't (yet) have a Real Lambsfoot knife, no knife content in this photo. So I included my Craftsman forged Bottle Cap Wrench, just to have some cool hand tool in there.
ChipButty.jpg
What a great entry Tyson :) Thanks so much for joining in, you really went for it! :D :) :thumbsup: Those are great links :thumbsup: Fantastic pic my friend, I'm glad you and your wife enjoyed the chip butty :) Cool wrench too, you definitely deserve a Lambsfoot :) :thumbsup:
A fistful of fab there Vince! :D Great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:
Excellent photos, Jack! Sounds like you had a great day! :thumbsup::thumbsup: (I particularly like the part where you were adopted by a group of fellow Yorkshiremen who were out celebrating Yorkshire Day.) 😁
Thanks Barrett, that was pretty strange, but so Yorkshire! :D They didn't want to let me go, and I think I could have stayed with them all day! :D After I left them I walked back past the Yorkshiresaur, and a bloke who'd seen us taking photographs, asked me where my pals were. I told him I'd only met them a couple of minutes before :D :thumbsup:
The curly fry butty was surprisingly good! (Are curly fries common there? I honestly wasn’t sure if they were a particularly American thing or not.)
Common enough Barrett, though you tend to see them in restaurants and diners, and takeaway shops, but not fish and chip shops. They're sold frozen too :thumbsup:
I think I may still have a bottle or two in the back of the fridge from my Sam Smith’s haul last year, might have to break them out tonight.

eK76zA1.jpg
Fantastic photo my friend, what a haul! :D :cool: :thumbsup:

q701Wzb.jpg

5pVOZtf.jpg
That was like one of those cookery programmes, where they cut away for a second, (or the commercials), and then cut to the finished dish! :D Wow! Well done Barrett :cool: Those look better than the ones I had yesterday! :) What did the family think? :thumbsup:
You've won me. They look fantastic, you have done a great job there, they are not easy to make. :p :p :p :thumbsup:
I think that's the best first attempt I've ever seen! :cool: :thumbsup:
Finally made a chip butty:

KJI49Lp.jpg

uCTJk9q.jpg

The lambsfoot sliced the potatoes well enough, and also served to spread the butter. Only seasoning was salt and pepper. Delicious! Didn't have any beer (Don't judge me!), so had some iced tea with it.
Wishing a Happy Yorkshire Day to all Guardians!
Well done Vince, I'm glad you enjoyed it buddy :) Happy Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:
Accidentally posted before finishing. See edited post, please.
:D :thumbsup:
My one and only and she’s getting lonely. Looking for a Brit to join her. Any suggestions? 😃View attachment 1611893
Lovely Charlie Lamb :) No BF supporting Lambsfoot dealers, so send me a PM mate :thumbsup:
No luck ordering a chip butty at the place my family decided to eat tonight, no chips, (fries) on the menu at the Mexican restaurant. Hope you all had a Happy Yorkshire Day! I was carrying my new Lambsfoot today, love this thing! 😊👍View attachment 1611929
Bad luck on the chip butty Todd, but at least you had a Lambsfoot with you :) :thumbsup:
But did you ask if they had Yorkshire pudding? 😁
Could have started a new Mexican food trend, Yorkshire puddings filled with chilli! :D ;) :thumbsup:
Great picture, Jack... Looks like a lot of fun. :)

Love that picture too.. So much fun going on in this thread today. 🤠:thumbsup:
Thanks John, it's been a great day here, really enjoyed it :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, many thanks for celebrating Yorkshire Day with me, I am really touched by it :) The contributions to this thread really have been special. Thank you so much for all your efforts my friends, I hope you had as much fun as I did :) As today is NOT Yorkshire Day, I had some cinnamon and raisin bagels for breakfast - we have had bagels here for a very long time, (probably over a hundred years), but these came from the supermarket! :D I have a busy day today unfortunately, and keep getting interrupted, but I'll draw a Lambsfoot winner this evening. Thank you once again for all the great contributions, and good luck everyone. Have a great day :) :thumbsup:

Uhw5zDz.jpg

b6kzuMa.jpg

Back