Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Hello fellow Guardians. Since I retired on January 31 of this year I have had very limited contact with my former employees. When I retired I was the Tool Room supervisor at the local plant of a major US appliance manufacturer. On last Thursday evening I got an interesting call from one of former employees. It was from one of my young apprentices of which I had seven at the time of my retirement. All my guys knew of my love and interest in knives so he gave me a call about a knife that he found. As it turns out he found this knife while swimming in one of our local rivers. It was under water at about 8 -10 feet of depth. He saw it shining and went in and retrieved the object. I was amazed as I asked him to describe it to me that it was a Lambsfoot knife. I’m honest when I say that a Lambsfoot is not common here in SE Tennessee where I live. In all of my years of collecting and talking with people I have never encountered anyone that owned one. They obviously would change their minds if they knew what I do! ;) I asked what condition the knife was in and he said it was rusted to some extent. He cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner that we have in our tool shop. I asked him to send some photos. When I got the photos I was amazed that the knife is in such good shape. It is a J. Milner & Co, Sheffield. It is a two blade pattern and has some beautiful Stag and fluted bolsters quite like many of the older examples we have seen. With the exception of the broken tip on the Lambsfoot it is in surprisingly good condition. I’m am sharing these photos for all you to enjoy and look over. I hope it will help add some history to our Guardians of the Lamsfoot thread. I have already been in contact with Jack and he has promised to elaborate some more on the company and the knife. If anyone can offer any additional information please feel free to share. Have a nice day.

28254422048_eb03f389d8_b.jpg

41406944044_f550d7a69f_b.jpg

40319969550_0c38e4cd32_b.jpg

41406944224_1bdcde64d1_b.jpg

Hello fellow Guardians. Since I retired on January 31 of this year I have had very limited contact with my former employees. When I retired I was the Tool Room supervisor at the local plant of a major US appliance manufacturer. On last Thursday evening I got an interesting call from one of former employees. It was from one of my young apprentices of which I had seven at the time of my retirement. All my guys knew of my love and interest in knives so he gave me a call about a knife that he found. As it turns out he found this knife while swimming in one of our local rivers. It was under water at about 8 -10 feet of depth. He saw it shining and went in and retrieved the object. I was amazed as I asked him to describe it to me that it was a Lambsfoot knife. I’m honest when I say that a Lambsfoot is not common here in SE Tennessee where I live. In all of my years of collecting and talking with people I have never encountered anyone that owned one. They obviously would change their minds if they knew what I do! ;) I asked what condition the knife was in and he said it was rusted to some extent. He cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner that we have in our tool shop. I asked him to send some photos. When I got the photos I was amazed that the knife is in such good shape. It is a J. Milner & Co, Sheffield. It is a two blade pattern and has some beautiful Stag and fluted bolsters quite like many of the older examples we have seen. With the exception of the broken tip on the Lambsfoot it is in surprisingly good condition. I’m am sharing these photos for all you to enjoy and look over. I hope it will help add some history to our Guardians of the Lamsfoot thread. I have already been in contact with Jack and he has promised to elaborate some more on the company and the knife. If anyone can offer any additional information please feel free to share. Have a nice day.

That is such an incredible story Ron :cool: Thank you for sharing it with everyone here :) What a shame about the tip, because that really is a lovely old knife. I wonder how long it was in the water for? :eek:

I have a Milner Lambsfoot myself, though it is nothing like that beauty. I'll post some pics, and a history of the firm when I get home :thumbsup:

Sorry for the poor quality pics of this poor condition Milner Lambsfoot, I'm afraid these are the only photos I've ever bothered to take of it :(

Milner Lambsfoot 2-1.jpg

Milner Lambsfoot 2-2.jpg

Some history :thumbsup:

John Milner’s early life is fairly obscure, but he was nonetheless a Sheffield cutler of some importance, not least because of his inventiveness. He was born about 1789, starting work at nine or ten years of age. He worked principally as a journeyman cutler, but began manufacturing under his own name around 1830. By 1845, he was based in Thomas Street, where he produced an exhibition slot knife, which operated on a “new and unique principle”. Milner claimed to be the inventor of the lock-knife, and was also credited with being the inventor or improver of the ‘fly-open’ or switchblade knife, which was one of his specialties. He died in 1863, being described as “much respected” and “exceedingly ingenious” in the local press. The great Sheffield Historian, Ralph Eadon Leader, recalled that: “it was said of him that he was the best spring-knife cutler in the town, and as a debater he was considered unequalled in argument.”

John Milner’s son, also John, began manufacturing in 1840, being granted the ‘INTRINSIC’ mark in 1848, and located at Trafalgar Works in 1862. It was clearly a small enterprise, by 1871, Milner, then 48, employed only two men, as well as an apprentice. The apprentice, Walter Asquith, went on to become Milner’s partner in the 1880’s. John Milner Jnr died in 1890, leaving £46.

Following John Milner’s death, Walter Asquith took over, and by 1905 had moved to Orient Works at 36 Matilda Street. He had retired by 1911 however. Charles Thornhill, Asquith’s manager, then took over the business, with his family continuing to run the firm after his death in 1929. By 1940, they were located in Arundel Street, becoming a limited company in 1946. They ceased trading in the 1960’s.

I've spent the past 30 minutes or more trying to upload photos, so frustrating, I don't know what is up with my internet connection today, it was better on the train! :(

Late afternoon is the worst possible time to be taking photos on the grotty table of my south-facing kitchen, but I thought some of you might like to see a few teaser pics of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives :) :) It took a lot less time to take them than it did to upload them! o_O I'll be in touch with everyone by email later :thumbsup:

Sorry, but if you don't know what these are, I'm afraid you're already too late :(

Please respect the non-commercial nature of this thread :thumbsup:

IMG_1877S.JPG

IMG_1881S.JPG

IMG_1883S.JPG

IMG_1887S.JPG

IMG_1892S.JPG

Far, far better than I could have ever imagined Jack. Well done! Both examples are stunning! I love the rich hues of the horn.

Far, far better than I could have ever imagined Jack. Well done! Both examples are stunning! I love the rich hues of the horn.

Thanks Leslie, after all the time they've taken, I was very relieved when I saw them! :D Not looking forward to the shipping part though! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Sorry, but if you don't know what these are, I'm afraid you're already too late :(

Well.....bollo......:D
You know, I've missed some really important things in life; nieces and nephews birthdays. Job interviews. Weddings....:oops: But this takes the biscuit :D

One reason why I love The Porch; stories like that. Thanks Half/Stop that's incredible! I hope the lucky chap thinks it'll make a great retirement present for his old mentor :D
Oh and a belated happy retirement :thumbsup:

-David.

That is such an incredible story Ron :cool: Thank you for sharing it with everyone here :) What a shame about the tip, because that really is a lovely old knife. I wonder how long it was in the water for? :eek:

I have a Milner Lambsfoot myself, though it is nothing like that beauty. I'll post some pics, and a history of the firm when I get home :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack! I really have no idea how long it was under water. I feel like based on the condition that it may have not been for that long of a period of time. I appreciate the history and as always your knowledge and input that you so freely share with the rest of us. :)

Well.....bollo......:D
You know, I've missed some really important things in life; nieces and nephews birthdays. Job interviews. Weddings....:oops: But this takes the biscuit :D

One reason why I love The Porch; stories like that. Thanks Half/Stop that's incredible! I hope the lucky chap thinks it'll make a great retirement present for his old mentor :D
Oh and a belated happy retirement :thumbsup:

-David.
Thank you David. I’m happy to share the story with all my friends here. Thank you for the well wishes on my retirement. I bumped into some more people from my old employer over the weekend. They asked me if it was difficult to adjust to retirement after 43 years. I thought about and then I said it was quite difficult. I told them it took me at least a day or two! :eek::D I am considering making an offer for the Milner, maybe he’ll be easy on the old man. :D

Thank you David, very atmospheric shot :) :thumbsup:

Good stuff Joshua, hope you had a good afternoon :)

Couple of pics from my day :thumbsup:

View attachment 904818

View attachment 904809

Jack, that stag is a real beauty! (I'm sure you've shared it before, and maybe I just didn't notice. Perhaps I just needed to see it from the right angle and in the right light.) :D

I read this thread with interest almost daily, but I'm sorry I don't post more regularly. Here's a retrospective on my Guardians Lambsfoot (thanks, mrknife mrknife ).
New in October 2017:
View attachment 905389

I finally started actually using it, and here's a photo during a January thaw early this year:
View attachment 905394

A photo from March 2018, after some shrinking of horn and dropping of knife, but still a fetching knife:
View attachment 905396

- GT

Your Guardians Lambsfoot is looking good, GT! :thumbsup:

Ron, that's an incredible story! If I didn't know you to be such a trustworthy guy, I'd be tempted to call it unbelievable!! :D Sounds like something r8shell r8shell might post around the beginning of April! ;)

Late afternoon is the worst possible time to be taking photos on the grotty table of my south-facing kitchen, but I thought some of you might like to see a few teaser pics of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives :) :) It took a lot less time to take them than it did to upload them! o_O I'll be in touch with everyone by email later :thumbsup:

Please respect the non-commercial nature of this thread :thumbsup:

View attachment 906426

View attachment 906423

View attachment 906424

View attachment 906425

View attachment 906430

Exciting stuff, Jack!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

Thank you Jack! I really have no idea how long it was under water. I feel like based on the condition that it may have not been for that long of a period of time. I appreciate the history and as always your knowledge and input that you so freely share with the rest of us. :)

A pleasure Ron :) They have pulled knives from the River Thames in London which are a thousand years old! They get covered in a layer of wood, and it preserves them remarkably well. Maybe that's what happened with this Milner? :thumbsup:

Jack, that stag is a real beauty! (I'm sure you've shared it before, and maybe I just didn't notice. Perhaps I just needed to see it from the right angle and in the right light.) :D

Exciting stuff, Jack!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

Thanks Barrett, when Wright's can get hold of the Sambar, they do a nice job with it :) :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I see a lot of bubble-wrap and packing tape in my near future! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Ron, that's an incredible story! If I didn't know you to be such a trustworthy guy, I'd be tempted to call it unbelievable!! :D Sounds like something r8shell r8shell might post around the beginning of April! ;)
:eek: Thanks Barrett! It is a great story and since I’m merely retelling it as it was told to me I certainly hope it’s truthful! I certainly believe it to be. :)

Half/Stop Half/Stop Ron that's a truly bizarre co-incidence to find a knife that's obscure & unknown in your part of the world and you to be an enthusiast and guardian of the pattern. The Lambfoot moves in mysterious ways it seems!:thumbsup:
Will, the river where this Lambsfoot was reportedly found is a trout fishing stream. It is also known for white water type activities such as rafting and tubing. I could only assume it might have been lost by a tourist. Of course there is always the possibility of an unbeknownst to me Lover of the Lambsfoot in the local area. :D

Back