Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Ron, that's an incredible story! If I didn't know you to be such a trustworthy guy, I'd be tempted to call it unbelievable!! :D Sounds like something r8shell r8shell might post around the beginning of April! ;)
:D:D:D

Very cool story and knife, Ron!

Hello fellow Guardians. Since I retired on January 31 of this year I have had very limited contact with my former employees. When I retired I was the Tool Room supervisor at the local plant of a major US appliance manufacturer. On last Thursday evening I got an interesting call from one of former employees. It was from one of my young apprentices of which I had seven at the time of my retirement. All my guys knew of my love and interest in knives so he gave me a call about a knife that he found. As it turns out he found this knife while swimming in one of our local rivers. It was under water at about 8 -10 feet of depth. He saw it shining and went in and retrieved the object. I was amazed as I asked him to describe it to me that it was a Lambsfoot knife. I’m honest when I say that a Lambsfoot is not common here in SE Tennessee where I live. In all of my years of collecting and talking with people I have never encountered anyone that owned one. They obviously would change their minds if they knew what I do! ;) I asked what condition the knife was in and he said it was rusted to some extent. He cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner that we have in our tool shop. I asked him to send some photos. When I got the photos I was amazed that the knife is in such good shape. It is a J. Milner & Co, Sheffield. It is a two blade pattern and has some beautiful Stag and fluted bolsters quite like many of the older examples we have seen. With the exception of the broken tip on the Lambsfoot it is in surprisingly good condition. I’m am sharing these photos for all you to enjoy and look over. I hope it will help add some history to our Guardians of the Lamsfoot thread. I have already been in contact with Jack and he has promised to elaborate some more on the company and the knife. If anyone can offer any additional information please feel free to share. Have a nice day.

28254422048_eb03f389d8_b.jpg

41406944044_f550d7a69f_b.jpg

40319969550_0c38e4cd32_b.jpg

41406944224_1bdcde64d1_b.jpg
Sunken treasure...
Cool story!

Hello fellow Guardians. Since I retired on January 31 of this year I have had very limited contact with my former employees. When I retired I was the Tool Room supervisor at the local plant of a major US appliance manufacturer. On last Thursday evening I got an interesting call from one of former employees. It was from one of my young apprentices of which I had seven at the time of my retirement. All my guys knew of my love and interest in knives so he gave me a call about a knife that he found. As it turns out he found this knife while swimming in one of our local rivers. It was under water at about 8 -10 feet of depth. He saw it shining and went in and retrieved the object. I was amazed as I asked him to describe it to me that it was a Lambsfoot knife. I’m honest when I say that a Lambsfoot is not common here in SE Tennessee where I live. In all of my years of collecting and talking with people I have never encountered anyone that owned one. They obviously would change their minds if they knew what I do! ;) I asked what condition the knife was in and he said it was rusted to some extent. He cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner that we have in our tool shop. I asked him to send some photos. When I got the photos I was amazed that the knife is in such good shape. It is a J. Milner & Co, Sheffield. It is a two blade pattern and has some beautiful Stag and fluted bolsters quite like many of the older examples we have seen. With the exception of the broken tip on the Lambsfoot it is in surprisingly good condition. I’m am sharing these photos for all you to enjoy and look over. I hope it will help add some history to our Guardians of the Lamsfoot thread. I have already been in contact with Jack and he has promised to elaborate some more on the company and the knife. If anyone can offer any additional information please feel free to share. Have a nice day.

28254422048_eb03f389d8_b.jpg

41406944044_f550d7a69f_b.jpg

40319969550_0c38e4cd32_b.jpg

41406944224_1bdcde64d1_b.jpg
I mean, really, what are the chances of that?!
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Late afternoon is the worst possible time to be taking photos on the grotty table of my south-facing kitchen, but I thought some of you might like to see a few teaser pics of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives :) :) It took a lot less time to take them than it did to upload them! o_O I'll be in touch with everyone by email later :thumbsup:

Sorry, but if you don't know what these are, I'm afraid you're already too late :(

Please respect the non-commercial nature of this thread :thumbsup:

View attachment 906426

View attachment 906423

View attachment 906424

View attachment 906425

View attachment 906430

s0819.gif

Sorry for my temporary absence, I'm just trying to get everyone's Guardians knives to them as fast as I can, but it's a lot of work, I haven't even had a chance to eat tonight. The good news is that the first batch went out today, and I have a pile of parcels to go out tomorrow. Thanks for your patience Guardians :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 906976

Very excited to see the 2018 Guardians!
That horn has such an interesting reddish/brown color with beautiful feathering. I have never seen the likes. The ebony is equally gorgeous. Thank you so much Jack.

Thanks Leslie, trying my best :) Lovely bocote on your MM :thumbsup:

Sorry for my temporary absence, I'm just trying to get everyone's Guardians knives to them as fast as I can, but it's a lot of work, I haven't even had a chance to eat tonight. The good news is that the first batch went out today, and I have a pile of parcels to go out tomorrow. Thanks for your patience Guardians :)

We would forgive you anything Jack! :D
Get something to eat!!:eek:
:)

fullsizeoutput_2a20.jpeg
Sorry for not having a new picture, but I can't keep this one out of my pocket. Perfect size, great action, and impressive utility. This knife is fast becoming my go to blade (my 35 Churchill has been the champ thus far).

I'm a little depressed.
3E8p1r1.jpg

I'm pretty sure I ripped out some ancient rose under the misapprehension that it was raspberry. Well, I trust I didn't kill it all.

I'm a little depressed.
3E8p1r1.jpg

I'm pretty sure I ripped out some ancient rose under the misapprehension that it was raspberry. Well, I trust I didn't kill it all.
You meant to rip out raspberry? o_O I don't understand.

You meant to rip out raspberry? o_O I don't understand.
It chokes out everything but raspberry, it reaches across the lawn to drag you under and shred you when you try to mow the lawn, the black ones are all bones and no meat.
But a couple of raspberries among the wild cherries would not have been a disaster, now that you mention it. I may have been still wonderly wood wroth out of all measure from fighting the wild grapes, which really are a disaster.

We would forgive you anything Jack! :D
Get something to eat!!:eek:
:)

+1 Be sure to eat something, although I'm pretty exited I sure can wait a few days longer :) Thanks for all the effort you're putting into this.:thumbsup:

LOL! :D Thanks guys :) I suspect that missing a meal once in a while probably won't do me any harm! ;) :D I ate toast while replying to emails! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:

Busy day tomorrow, two early morning physiotherapy appointments, then I have to present the young son of some friends with his first pocketknife, and his first Lambsfoot, then back home to pick up my rucsac, which is full of parcels, and take them to the post office :thumbsup:

Late afternoon is the worst possible time to be taking photos on the grotty table of my south-facing kitchen, but I thought some of you might like to see a few teaser pics of the 2018 Guardians Lambsfoot knives :) :) It took a lot less time to take them than it did to upload them! o_O I'll be in touch with everyone by email later :thumbsup:

Sorry, but if you don't know what these are, I'm afraid you're already too late :(

Please respect the non-commercial nature of this thread :thumbsup:

View attachment 906426

View attachment 906423

View attachment 906424

View attachment 906425

View attachment 906430

Good looking knives Jack. I somehow wasn't aware of these. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this thread for the next batch of Guardians Lambsfoots, hopefully there will be a next batch.

Will, the river where this Lambsfoot was reportedly found is a trout fishing stream. It is also known for white water type activities such as rafting and tubing. I could only assume it might have been lost by a tourist. Of course there is always the possibility of an unbeknownst to me Lover of the Lambsfoot in the local area. :D

Great knife tale Ron. Any chance this was the Hiwassee your description of the river sounds rather familiar.

Last edited:
It chokes out everything but raspberry, it reaches across the lawn to drag you under and shred you when you try to mow the lawn, the black ones are all bones and no meat.
But a couple of raspberries among the wild cherries would not have been a disaster, now that you mention it. I may have been still wonderly wood wroth out of all measure from fighting the wild grapes, which really are a disaster.
It's hard for me to imagine. When I was little, we'd visit my grandparents in PA, and there were raspberry bushes, mulberry and blackberry. I would stand in the back yard and eat them right off the bush, warm from the sun. For the rest of my life, every time I've eaten berries, I've been disappointed. If raspberries grew down here I'd let them take over. It's got to be better than the dang bamboo and ligustrum.

Lambfoot picture: Waiting for their little brother to arrive. :)
Lambfoots guardian and rosewood.jpg

Back