Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Love looking at your Photos my friend.

Thank you Duncan :)
I enjoying getting reacquainted with my HHB, plan on giving it some TLC with some FLitz cleaning, oiling and sharpening, Renaissance wax ... The Works ala Dan :cool:

LOL! You have some great stories Dan :D :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack :)
It feels as it happened so very long ago and yet at the same time you can't help but wonder where has time gone. I was 19 years old back then (we were all drafted into the army right after high school), I am 50+ now :eek:

Here is pic taken just moments after my first parachute jump.
My Dad was already here in Canada working hard to bring us and carve a future for the family. My Mom and little sister joined my Dad a few weeks after this picture was taken.

The lieutenant mentioned in the previous post actually intervened to grant my early honorable discharge so I, along with my other two sisters that were left in Argentina could come to Canada and join the family (there was another officer who was taking bribes from wealthy parents and trying to get a discharge for a soldier that did not deserved it to fill the spot that I felt I deserved )

We had no idea what the future held for us when this pic was taken.
My sister on the left is married to an American fellow, they live in Washington state and adopted 5 children and have fostered countless others. My sister on the right is married to a dual citizen of the US and Canada and my little sister to a fellow from El Salvador.

I married into a large family of very loud Cubans LOL 😄 , half of them in Canada, the other half in the US.
Diversity is our strength :)

Today, looking back, I feel very blessed and would not change anything despite some of the hardships experienced as an immigrant.

BhkSpBb.jpg

Proud Canadian :) 🇨🇦

i6USLR7.jpg

I enjoying getting reacquainted with my HHB, plan on giving it some TLC with some FLitz cleaning, oiling and sharpening, Renaissance wax ... The Works ala Dan :cool:

It feels as it happened so very long ago and yet at the same time you can't help but wonder where has time gone. I was 19 years old back then (we were all drafted into the army right after high school), I am 50+ now :eek:

My Dad was already here in Canada working hard to bring us and carve a future for the family. My Mom and little sister joined my Dad a few weeks after this picture was taken.

The lieutenant mentioned in the previous post actually intervened to grant my early honorable discharge so I, along with my other two sisters that were left in Argentina could come to Canada and join the family (there was another officer who was taking bribes from wealthy parents and trying to get a discharge for a soldier that did not deserved it to fill the spot that I felt I deserved )

My sister on the left is married to an American fellow, they live in Washington state and adopted 5 children and have fostered countless others. My sister on the right is married to a dual citizen of the US and Canada and my little sister to a fellow from El Salvador.

I married into a large family of very loud Cubans LOL 😄 , half of them in Canada, the other half in the US.

Today, looking back, I feel very blessed and would not change anything despite some of the hardships experienced as an immigrant.

BhkSpBb.jpg

i6USLR7.jpg
My grandparents moved to Canada to give her children and her grandchildren a better life, and my grandma maintained until her final days that it was the best decision she ever made. I love this country, and thank her every day.
True North strong and free 🍁

Hey Dennis, it's great to see you here buddy! 🥳 I hope you're keeping well my friend :) It sounds like you've got your work cut out! :D ;) It's great to see Black Betty :) :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack! It's good to see everybodys posts for sure!🙂👍
Keeping my HHB close this Friday morning as I fight with my ADHD and try my best to finish the mountain of paperwork I have left.

dod4maE.jpg

RCKL31O.jpg
Real nice looking HHB you have there Dan!😎👍
LOL, this just reminded me of a funny situation ( funny now lol ) I experienced while enlisted in the Argentine army.
I was the radio operator for our company following the lieutenant in charge all over the place ( forgive me as I will get rankings translated wrong).

We were doing some exercises up in the "Sierras". A sergeant from one of the platoons below said something to us on the radio.
Perhaps because I had watched more than a few American war movies I answered " Roger " followed by something in Spanish.

The lieutenant became livid :mad: , I though he was going to throw something my way :eek:
" You are not a $%##@ Yankee " he shouted at me 🤪

LOL, it brought back memories :)

🤣🤣🤣:thumbsup:. My dad was in the Signal/Radio Corp in World War 2 in New Guinea.:)

My dad was a radio operator back in the Abel, Baker, Charlie, Dog days! :D :thumbsup:
Had my share of humping around the PRC-77 radio in my ruck sack, don't miss those days! It was much nicer having the radios in an APC or Humvee.
Couldn't imagine jumping out a plane with the extra weight on your back!😬
Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a good weekend so far. I'm OK, but didn't really feel like a hike today, and I need to catch up with some housework. Hopefully get out for some fresh air later though. I hope some of you have something more exciting planned. Have a good one Guardians :thumbsup:

QV3bc8d.jpg
Hope you're feeling more on par now Jack! Food poisoning is not a good way to spend the week!
Hope your mate is feeling better as well!😎👍
That photo seems very Zen like...👍
Raining out today so sticking indoors I think. HHB in the pocket today, foolin' around in the basement.

q8dqTis.jpeg
Lol! Love both items, but your catapult cracked me up!😁👍
Hope everyone is having a good Saturday :) We ordered pizza, and since I only do that about once a year, I ordered an extra one for tomorrow ;) :D :thumbsup:

yATB4eh.jpg
I get burnt out on pizza real fast, but sometimes it does hit the spot! The best I ever had was at Geno's East in Chicago, one slice...or wedge...is a full meal itself!
Cool, cloudy and windy. As normal really. :)

hESgdxi.jpg
Cool photo, David. Reminds me of western Oklahoma, pretty barren, but has it's own beauty. 😎👍
I haven't posted in this thread since Yorkshire Day (August 1), according to the Search function. But I have managed to read the thread regularly, although I sometimes get a week behind. I'm currently caught up (and enjoyed seeing, just a couple of posts up, a couple of David's donn donn fine photos featuring his instantly-recognizable "Eye of Sauron" horn lambsfoot :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:) and decided now was a good time to post a pic of my rosewood HHB that I call LamBarJack:
View attachment 1666110

I hope the photo indicates that I've "seen the light" and will be posting here more frequently going forward.

- GT
Nice shot Gary! I've been somewhat delinquent in my postings on the forum as of late, but it's always nice when I do get a chance to catch up some.🙂
Jack I hope that you are feeling much much better my friend!

Its a very wet day today, so wont be going out- perhaps to get a Coffee :)

Last night I had a sit down session getting used to my Water stones instead of my diamond Stone, at times I use the Waterstone then finalise it a wee bit with the Diamond stone.
My Stropping helps, but I need to try another Strop and paste, but here is my awesome Hartshead, I love this Jack because absolutely every time I go straight back to the Cafe we were sitting in at York - just one of my great memories in Life my friend, as is Sheffield.

qLodghA.jpg
Best knives ever, ones with memories of times and places spent with friends! Nice photo Duncan!😎👍

Same verse like the first...
ANbwBrf.jpeg

Have a great Sunday Guardians!

Decided to make a run out to the coast to do a little storm watching, only to find less storm than I hoped. That's okay, I can enjoy a quiet evening with a little wine, a nice knife, and a couple of great kids sleeping behind me while I listen to the waves.

(Note: the night mode on this phone is legit. It is dark in this room.)

full

Jack I hope that you are feeling much much better my friend!

Its a very wet day today, so wont be going out- perhaps to get a Coffee :)

Last night I had a sit down session getting used to my Water stones instead of my diamond Stone, at times I use the Waterstone then finalise it a wee bit with the Diamond stone.
My Stropping helps, but I need to try another Strop and paste, but here is my awesome Hartshead, I love this Jack because absolutely every time I go straight back to the Cafe we were sitting in at York - just one of my great memories in Life my friend, as is Sheffield.

qLodghA.jpg
Thanks a lot pal, that's very kind of you :) Sorry to hear about the weather, at least summer is on the way :) I was stropping a couple of knives myself last night, just using a wee pocket strop I have, with some green compound :)

It's great to see your Hartshead Barlow Duncan, whenever I pass that little cafe, next to the ancient city walls, on Micklegate, I think of you my friend :) Hope you're keeping well :thumbsup:
Henderson’s on cheese toast (which I’m sure was a suggestion Jack made at some point) has been one of the most surprising discoveries for me. It’s great! :thumbsup:
Cheese on toast is not the same without Henderson's! :D :) :thumbsup:

BueAtqz.jpg

Looks like my Barlow was pretty new when I took that! :D
Hey Jack, remember when you asked the guy working in the shop near the train station in Sheffield if they had any Henderson’s and he didn’t know what you were talking about? 😲😡🤣
Yeah, what an idiot! :rolleyes: He should have been sacked on the spot, and marched out of the city! ;) :D :thumbsup:
I seem to have a knack for finding sauces/condiments that I can only buy online, and it’s always expensive. 😳
I love the Secret Aardvark you introduced me to Barrett, but so far I have only managed to buy it online. At least a bottle goes a long way :) :thumbsup:
Jack, I don’t suppose you have any Secret Aardvark left, do you? It’s great on leftover pizza! 😁
Thank you for reminding me my friend, I'll definitely be trying that today! :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Anyways…

F5CfBtG.jpg

😁😁
Fantastic!!! 🤣 🤣 :cool: :thumbsup:
Sounds like the full spa treatment Dan :) :thumbsup:

BhkSpBb.jpg

i6USLR7.jpg
Great post buddy, what a wonderful heart-warming story. Thank you sharing it with us :) Unity in diversity :) :thumbsup:
My grandparents moved to Canada to give her children and her grandchildren a better life, and my grandma maintained until her final days that it was the best decision she ever made. I love this country, and thank her every day.
True North strong and free 🍁
I had some relatives to emigrated to Canada in the 60's, and always wished my parents had emigrated :thumbsup:
Had my share of humping around the PRC-77 radio in my ruck sack, don't miss those days! It was much nicer having the radios in an APC or Humvee.
Couldn't imagine jumping out a plane with the extra weight on your back!😬
I bet you don't miss them Dennis! :eek: My dad was in the Royal Artillery, and so his radios were mainly in Jeeps and tanks I think. I'm glad never have had to carry anything bigger than what I can hold in my hand! :D
Hope you're feeling more on par now Jack! Food poisoning is not a good way to spend the week!
Hope your mate is feeling better as well!😎👍
Thanks a lot buddy, that's kind of you :) My mate sounded OK when I spoke to him yesterday, but I was surprised when he told me he and his family are going to Lanzarote next week, so I hope he's going to be OK :eek: :thumbsup:
I get burnt out on pizza real fast, but sometimes it does hit the spot! The best I ever had was at Geno's East in Chicago, one slice...or wedge...is a full meal itself!
That sounds great Dennis :) From what I have seen, pizzas here are generally smaller than in the US. The ones I got delivered yesterday were 12" across, and that was their large size! :D Some of the best pizza I've had was at a friend's 40th birthday in a beautiful place in the hills above Barcelona. They had wood-fired ovens, made from clay, and the pizza was amazing. I ate a LOT! :D :thumbsup:
ANbwBrf.jpeg

Cool pic Dennis, I like your wee stiddy :) Hope you're having a great weekend :thumbsup:
You too my friend, good to see you here. Will have an update on my experiment tomorrow morning if you have been following it.:)
Looking forward to seeing how things are going Leon :thumbsup:
Decided to make a run out to the coast to do a little storm watching, only to find less storm than I hoped. That's okay, I can enjoy a quiet evening with a little wine, a nice knife, and a couple of great kids sleeping behind me while I listen to the waves.

(Note: the night mode on this phone is legit. It is dark in this room.)

full
That sounds perfect :) Superb photo :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend :) I still haven't been out since Thursday! :D With a fridge full of pizza, I don't think I'll be doing any cooking today :rolleyes: Have a great Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

I got a new toy yesterday ;) :thumbsup:

QULXJU0.jpg

Cheese on toast is not the same without Henderson's
Just looked up this magical condiment, over here can only find it online- $24 or roughly 12 quid, pass.o_O:eek::) I have sussed some of that Ardvark Sauce as well, bloody expensive also, but i'm intrigued.🤪😜

Just looked up this magical condiment, over here can only find it online- $24 or roughly 12 quid, pass.o_O:eek::) I have sussed some of that Ardvark Sauce as well, bloody expensive also, but i'm intrigued.🤪😜
Yikes! That's a bit strong! :eek: It's about £1.50 here. I know a lot of Poms used to get it shipped out, virtually every Sheffield family and corner-shop had a story about sending it out to some family member :D These days, postage would be about £30 a bottle I reckon! :eek: At least the Secret Aardvark goes a long way :thumbsup:

Yikes! That's a bit strong! :eek: It's about £1.50 here. I know a lot of Poms used to get it shipped out, virtually every Sheffield family and corner-shop had a story about sending it out to some family member :D These days, postage would be about £30 a bottle I reckon! :eek: At least the Secret Aardvark goes a long way :thumbsup:
Yeah, the bottle i posted a photo of yesterday, is less the one quid, i 'll stick with that, it is a winner.;)

Yeah, the bottle i posted a photo of yesterday, is less the one quid, i 'll stick with that, it is a winner.;)
One day mate mate! :D :) :thumbsup:

I was just having a very quick look through the 1968 photos I've taken of my stag Hartshead Barlow (not counting the photos of it with other knives), and there are an awful lot of Henderson's Relish photos, and a great many cheese on toast pics! :D :thumbsup:

reJacNX.jpg

5QKBhgL.jpg

One day mate mate! :D :) :thumbsup:

I was just having a very quick look through the 1968 photos I've taken of my stag Hartshead Barlow (not counting the photos of it with other knives), and there are an awful lot of Henderson's Relish photos, and a great many cheese on toast pics! :D :thumbsup:

reJacNX.jpg

5QKBhgL.jpg
Cut it out, i'm just about to go to bed and read, now i feel like cheese on toast.:p:p:p

LOL! Me too, but I've got all that pizza to eat! :D Have a good night's sleep mate, and don't be having any cheese dreams! :D :thumbsup:

I’m intrigued by your all’s liking for Henderson’s Relish. So much so I’ve ordered a bottle. I love a good sauce to enhance a variety of foods. Given what I’ve read here I don’t think I’ll be disappointed. Stay tuned for my culinary review later this week. 😋 I also want to see how it compares to my grandparents homemade catsup which my brother and I make every few years. It is imho exquisitely unique, labor intensive but worth the effort.

I’m intrigued by your all’s liking for Henderson’s Relish. So much so I’ve ordered a bottle. I love a good sauce to enhance a variety of foods. Given what I’ve read here I don’t think I’ll be disappointed. Stay tuned for my culinary review later this week. 😋 I also want to see how it compares to my grandparents homemade catsup which my brother and I make every few years. It is imho exquisitely unique, labor intensive but worth the effort.

Good for you! :) Don't expect to be spicy, but it has a great flavour I think :) I remember, back in the early 1990's going into the old Henderson's Relish to see how it was made. He said there were two old ladies filling up bottles, by hand, from small barrels. In those days, the bottles still had a metal cap, and you had to bash a hole in it, with a nail, or something. The printing writing on the orange label just wiped off! :D Looking forward to hearing what you think :) :thumbsup:

PQ8YeUn.jpg

(♻️Lunch in Sheffield's Fat Cat pub :))

It sure did take a long time for me to find a pic of the old Henderson's Relish factory in my photo archive! :rolleyes: The old factory was bought a few years ago by Sheffield University, who own that entire part of Sheffield, including a church, and the hospital, opposite the Henderson's factory, where I was born. The area has changed greatly, and many historic old buildings have been flattened unfortunately. There has been talk, ever since the purchase, of turning the building into a pub. Here it is in 2017 :thumbsup:

OXqS1KG.jpg

I tried sending you a PM the other day, but the message I got was that your box was full.
Oh of course you did, sorry, with being busy at work it just slipped my mind. I'll have to pull a finger out and slip BF some groats.

Cool photo, David. Reminds me of western Oklahoma, pretty barren, but has it's own beauty. 😎👍

ANbwBrf.jpeg

Thanks Dennis, I guess I may like western Oklahoma then. I love that tiny anvil you have there; it's a great pic.:thumbsup:

It's been a right dull day, ut I hope everyone's enjoying their Sunday's.
bx7do4u.jpg

Back