Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Such a cool picture... no pun intended. 🤠:thumbsup:
Cheers! :thumbsup:

You’re walking tours are always inspiring.

Good Morning Guardians
Thanks Dennis and so is that Unity with cake shot.

Wow David, what stunning pics, you certainly picked a great day for a walk :cool: I'm reminded of how long it is since I was last on Kinder Scout :( :thumbsup:
Thanks Jack. Was last up there myself December 2019 when I did the Kinder circuit.

Having a lot of bother with BF over the past couple of days. I'm not sure if anyone else is finding that.
Anyway just repairing the map for my next walk.
iqdkQ7Y.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. Was last up there myself December 2019 when I did the Kinder circuit.

Having a lot of bother with BF over the past couple of days. I'm not sure if anyone else is finding that.
Anyway just repairing the map for my next walk.
iqdkQ7Y.jpg

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. :thumbsup:
It may be as long as 10 years for me David, quite depressing to think about it, considering how much I have walked there in the past. In a few years time, I might struggle to make it up to the plateau, so I should head over there soon! I think I remember you posting about your last visit mate :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, everyone is having problems with the site currently, and it's been like that the past few weeks :( Some threads about it in the Tech forum :thumbsup:

Nice pic David, hope you're having a good Sunday :thumbsup:

I like the black/yellow contrast! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
And your "photo prop" reminds me of one of my favorite examples of the craziness of the English language with the same word having different meanings, sometimes depending on what "part of speech" (noun, verb, adjective, etc.) it is:
Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana! 😁

It's been a while since I was last able to sneak out for a mid-week walk, but I managed to get out of the city for one today. It was in the 30's all day, but it sure made a difference when the sun came out. Unfortunately, I spent most of my walk with it in my eyes :rolleyes: I finished off in the park I walked in last week, so took a pic of the castle folly for @CelloDan , along with a few others :) :thumbsup:
IpZQHEx.jpg

jZga4cT.jpg

A myriad of marvelous pics, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I especially enjoyed the stag HHB on a post, and the avian shot. Is that a magpie??

Good morning/afternoon Guardians!
I've given up the illusion of catching up, so I'll try to stay with it as much as possible. Back with Bagpipe Betty!
EOtYlhJ.jpg
Catching up is overrated, Dennis; just live in the moment! ;) 🤓 :thumbsup:
Bagpipe Betty is looking big and bad! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

Had to pick up a package from the post office early. Spotted this on the way :D

OgiE2kn.jpg
You're so aware of your surroundings, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
That reminds me of one summer (of many) when I was working for a couple of weeks in a residential program for academically talented middle school kids who would come to a major university, live in the dorms, and take supposedly-stimulating classes designed for them. I taught classes and also was a dorm counselor in the program. During the summer in question, some of the kids (mostly female) had a "stuffed animal contest" to vote on who had the best stuffed animal. I found a 4" long half-inch diameter bolt by the dorm dumpster one morning, so I wrote up a legend about it and entered it in the stuffed animal contest. I actually won, and I gave it to the "true winner" whose dog or whatever was runner-up. She brought it back the next summer and gave it back to me along with an autobiography she had helped Benjamin Bolt write. 🤓

For hundreds, if not thousands, of years, most of the knives used by our ancestors had straight edges. Presumably, because they WORKED. Like these two examples from the Iron Age:

7n61Okf.jpg

cj8e5qR.jpg

All straight-edge blades are good work knives, but as we know some genius came along, in the 19th century, and invented the best of them, the Lambsfoot :)

Of course, there are always anomalies ;)

Such as this knife from 800AD! :eek: :cool:

UBaDbwT.jpg
That ancient lambsfoot is amazing, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I'm guessing I must have seen it here before, but I sure don't remember it!!

I'm happy to see your golden lambsfoot treasure in any setting, José! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

The memorable grain on your ironwood Guardians lambsfoot shows up best in the sunshine! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thanks Gary, I'm happy to be here, though that would not be the case were it not for the generosity of a few other Guardians. Your lambsfoot for the week is a fine one. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the kind word, Jeremy. :)
Plenty of generous Guardians around here, that's for sure! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I’ve experienced some strange phenomena recently as well Gary. I’m calling it “storage shrinkage.” The other day I got out a sweater that I haven’t worn for a few years and it was much smaller than I remembered! 🤣

Thanks for the compliments Gary. 😊👍

Yeah, I was in grade school to early high school for the 70s, and I didn’t recognize all the references.

Very nice Gary, love to see Cracker Jack.
😎👍
Thanks for the entertaining and encouraging words, Todd. :)
I've managed to actually reverse some of that "storage shrinkage" by cutting meal portions by about 50% and walking 50+ miles per week. 🤓
I'm thinking of trying to turn that into a money-making weight-loss program, marketed as the 50-50 Plan, but I doubt if many folks would want to sign up. 😁

Who knows where the times goes eh Gary? :D :) :thumbsup:

I've acquired a few new ones lately ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, those were actually taken with my old compact :)

Thanks again Gary, most of those are taken with my new camera :) Still messing around with it :thumbsup:

It's great to see the return of Cracker Jack :) Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks for your replies, Jack. :)
Regarding WHERE time goes, I'm clueless. But HOW it goes I described earlier in this very post: Time flies like an arrow! 😁 🤓

Yes, but they play like they all have one leg recently... not scary to anybody. 🤣

I love your AC, GT... my favorite name too. 🤠:thumbsup:
I know what knife to get for the Seahawks if they have one arm, but I'm not sure of the best knife for the one-legged player! 😁 :thumbsup:
Thanks for the compliments, John; Cracker Jack is small like a peanut with popcorn stag on the pile side, and he's definitely one of my favorites! :)

Thank you, GT.

Many thanks, again, Sir.!

A Cracker Jack look of your classic Lamb, GT.
I appreciate your compliment, Harvey. :)
Splendid shot: in Unity there is sweetness! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

A little Waynorth glamour heading into the weekend.

Uaxx3zm.jpg
IMHO, one of the prettiest open knives I've ever seen! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Is that a photo from your light box, Jeff?

I'm sayin' nuffin.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

That is nice, some really nice stag on those covers.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.
Thanks, Leon. :)

Here's another Cracker Jack shot; come on, crocuses, I eagerly await your return!
CJ.mark.onside.crocus&shadows.jpg

- GT

It may be as long as 10 years for me David, quite depressing to think about it, considering how much I have walked there in the past. In a few years time, I might struggle to make it up to the plateau, so I should head over there soon! I think I remember you posting about your last visit mate :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, everyone is having problems with the site currently, and it's been like that the past few weeks :( Some threads about it in the Tech forum :thumbsup:

Nice pic David, hope you're having a good Sunday :thumbsup:
Aye thanks Jack, having a fine Sunday. Just cracked an ale which I'll post later.

Yeah I struggled to get up onto the plateau myself. But that's more because I was still eating mince pies less than 3 weeks ago, and those Christmas chocolates aren't going to eat themselves ya know. 😋

I thought it was BF as the rest of the web seems to work fine for me.
Hope your Sunday is relaxing.

If you've been hanging around here for a while, you'll have seen some of my photos from Harewood Castle before, and if you search, within the thread, you'll find plenty of previous photos. Hope I won't be considered all 'arty-farty' for posting some black and white pics from my visit today, there are colour pics in the Nature thread here :thumbsup:

7tw0Ti3.jpg

Great photos, Jack! Only slightly “arty-farty.” 😉😁

Happy Saturday Guardians carrying my HHB.

DSOd6UV.jpg

I looked at that photo for longer than I care to admit before realizing it was the top of the fridge/freezer door, not the side. 😳🤣

Good Morning Guardians
Posting a Black and White today in honor of all of Jack's artful pictures yesterday.

What a great idea! I’m in. 😎👍View attachment 1726931

Alright, I’m in, too!

VHOM41C.jpg

I don't expect to ever afford to retire. :( Oh well, both my parents (88 and 90 years old) still work and are quite healthy. Goes to show: old people are like sharks, they have to keep moving.
I could get lost in this photo, Jack. 😍
The problems with the site seem to be going on and on
I've noticed that the site works very well, early in the morning (central usa time) and gets slower and laggier as the day goes. I would think that means it has something to do with higher demand as the site gets busier, but I don't claim to understand computers.

On the B&W theme:
utoAeJc.jpg

A myriad of marvelous pics, Jack! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I especially enjoyed the stag HHB on a post, and the avian shot. Is that a magpie??
Thank you kindly Gary :) Yes, magpies are common here, I sometimes have half a dozen sat on my fence, but that one was a long way off. I was watching blue tits, robins, and goldfinches in the tree in my garden yesterday afternoon, and a Red Kite in the sky :)

WouxhQ8.jpg

They are cheeky enough to use the front gate! :D

F84r6oE.jpg

You're so aware of your surroundings, Jack! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
That reminds me of one summer (of many) when I was working for a couple of weeks in a residential program for academically talented middle school kids who would come to a major university, live in the dorms, and take supposedly-stimulating classes designed for them. I taught classes and also was a dorm counselor in the program. During the summer in question, some of the kids (mostly female) had a "stuffed animal contest" to vote on who had the best stuffed animal. I found a 4" long half-inch diameter bolt by the dorm dumpster one morning, so I wrote up a legend about it and entered it in the stuffed animal contest. I actually won, and I gave it to the "true winner" whose dog or whatever was runner-up. She brought it back the next summer and gave it back to me along with an autobiography she had helped Benjamin Bolt write. 🤓
Thank you :) Like yourself, I walk a lot, and it's surprising what you see :D That's hilarious, I used to enjoy working with kids :cool: :D :thumbsup:
That ancient lambsfoot is amazing, Jack! :thumbsup::cool::cool:
I'm guessing I must have seen it here before, but I sure don't remember it!!
Incredible isn't it? It's quite a specific shape. I continue to be amazed by the Lambsfoot :cool: :thumbsup:
Thanks for your replies, Jack. :)
Regarding WHERE time goes, I'm clueless. But HOW it goes I described earlier in this very post: Time flies like an arrow! 😁 🤓
🤣 :thumbsup:
Here's another Cracker Jack shot; come on, crocuses, I eagerly await your return!
View attachment 1726945

- GT
That's another cracker Gary :) :thumbsup:
Aye thanks Jack, having a fine Sunday. Just cracked an ale which I'll post later.
I'm about to do the same David, wash down the chilli I've just had :D :thumbsup:
Yeah I struggled to get up onto the plateau myself. But that's more because I was still eating mince pies less than 3 weeks ago, and those Christmas chocolates aren't going to eat themselves ya know. 😋
LOL! :D Which way did you go up?
I thought it was BF as the rest of the web seems to work fine for me.
Hope your Sunday is relaxing.
Thanks a lot mate, enjoy your ale :) :thumbsup:
Great photos, Jack! Only slightly “arty-farty.” 😉😁
I'll post the fish-eye ones next week :D ;) :thumbsup:
Alright, I’m in, too!

VHOM41C.jpg
o_O :oops: 🤣 Didn't a poster take an interest in that knife the last time you posted a pic?! :D :thumbsup:
I don't expect to ever afford to retire. :( Oh well, both my parents (88 and 90 years old) still work and are quite healthy. Goes to show: old people are like sharks, they have to keep moving.
It doesn't get any easier does it? :( :thumbsup:
I could get lost in this photo, Jack. 😍
Thanks Rachel :D :thumbsup:
I've noticed that the site works very well, early in the morning (central usa time) and gets slower and laggier as the day goes. I would think that means it has something to do with higher demand as the site gets busier, but I don't claim to understand computers.
That would make sense wouldn't it? :thumbsup:
On the B&W theme:
utoAeJc.jpg
Thanks for joining in! :) :thumbsup:

Hello All: spending the day at home with the wife. Sure is pleasant weather here in Austin, TX. We are planning to take the dogs on a nice long walk. This will be in the pocketView attachment 1727161
I'm glad to hear someone is enjoying good weather! :D Hope you have a lovely walk, and that's a fine-looking Lambsfoot to have in your pocket :thumbsup:

Thank you kindly Gary :) Yes, magpies are common here, I sometimes have half a dozen sat on my fence, but that one was a long way off. I was watching blue tits, robins, and goldfinches in the tree in my garden yesterday afternoon, and a Red Kite in the sky :)
We had a sparrowhawk take one of the sparrows out of a bush the other day. Fast as lightning and very impressive to see. 🦅⚡

Which way did you go up?
Up out of Glossop via the Worm Stones and a hill called Harry Hut then via Mill Hill. I reckon it's the quickest route but Chunal Moor would be very boggy in warmer weather.
KRL2trB.jpg

Good Morning Guardians
What a cracking shot; great colour contrast.

This afternoon.
ZwYK6jE.jpg

We had a sparrowhawk take one of the sparrows out of a bush the other day. Fast as lightning and very impressive to see. 🦅⚡
Wow! My girlfriend was excited about seeing a sparrowhawk last week, but it was stationary when she saw it :thumbsup:
Up out of Glossop via the Worm Stones and a hill called Harry Hut then via Mill Hill. I reckon it's the quickest route but Chunal Moor would be very boggy in warmer weather.
KRL2trB.jpg
Do you know, I've never been up from Glossop David, mostly I've ascended from Edale (various routes), or from the Snake, and also from Hayfield. That's glorious weather my friend :thumbsup:
This afternoon.
ZwYK6jE.jpg
Cheers mate, that looks like a good drop :) :thumbsup:

Back