Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Jack, if Wright's won't do it, I wonder if you could take an existing knife and have someone like @glennbad put those dark stag scales to good use for you?

We took some interesting back roads driving in the South West of England, on our way from Stonehenge to Durdle Door. Tall hedges on either side, completely blind curves and only wide enough for one car (despite being open to two-way traffic). I can't imagine wanting to ride a motorcycle on those roads! :eek: :D

GT, that distinctive brownish colored knife you pointed out next to your knife in the family photo looks awfully familiar...

xVlGo6I.jpg

iwu75Pn.jpg

sSBloYe.jpg

I have to say, while I've been happy with all my Guardians knives, I think this one might be my favorite. Two things that really stand out to me about this knife (besides the fantastic Sambar stag, of course) are the size and the fit and finish. The size, in my opinion, is just about perfect. One small complaint that I've always had about the "standard" size A. Wright Lambsfoot is that it's a bit bulky, especially in the pocket. This one feels much more svelte. The size is just about halfway between the standard A. Wright Lambsfoot and a Case Swayback. The fit and finish on this knife are a step up even from the previous Guardians knives, which were already a big step up from A. Wright's standard offerings (at least in my admittedly limited experience). This thing has, by far, the smoothest walk and talk I've ever felt on a knife from A. Wright. It's like butter. :D

Thanks again, Jack, for another fantastic knife. (And to think I almost missed out on this one entirely! :eek:)
That’s a beautiful Ashley’s Choice Barrett! I love the warm caramel colors! A great choice! :thumbsup: :)

I don't Wright's will have a problem doing it for me Barrett, but I would love an example of @glennbad's work sometime, I've been a fan all the time I've been posting here :) There is always a conflict for me as to whether to keep the original covers for historical reasons, even if they are ugly. I need to find a really battered old Lambsfoot! :D :thumbsup:

Oh yes, across the country there are certainly plenty of winding country roads, thousands and thousands of miles of them, and they can be death-traps (did for T.E. Lawrence), but we don't have any in central Leeds - plenty of very dangerous roads though! :eek: A biker friend of mine had both his legs, and an arm broken just the other week :( In the early days of motorcycling here, the biggest cause of fatalities were horses on country roads :eek:

I remember admiring that one Barrett :)

Thanks for the glowing praise for the AC Lambsfoot my friend, I'm so glad that they turned out so well :) It was also easier for me to deal with Wright's this time, as they are learning the standard of work I would like and expect, and that I am not afraid to be critical. I also hope that cutlers like Ashley are genuinely enjoying producing work of a higher standard, rather than having everything dictated by price and the clock. I am very pleased that folks here are prepared to support what is ,arguably, the last true Sheffield cutlery firm. Your willingness to do so has helped to bring about these special knives, which I genuinely think are the best to come out of a Sheffield factory for a very long time :) :thumbsup:
The praise is well deserved Jack! For you and Wright’s both my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Guardians,

When i joined this forum I’d always pass over this thread. It’s a giant and, to be honest, it’s more than a little intimidating to dive into. And, if you start at the most current part of the thread, there’s a definite “secret society” vibe to it.

Well, I started reading it from the beginning about a month ago. And somewhere near pages 70-80 I got a real itch to pick one of these up. I’ve always been a fan of US made knives and the culture of them here in the States. But it was really interesting to learn about another style(?) of pocket knife and I reached out to Jack Black Jack Black for some info on sourcing a good one.

While I went through the process I kept reading and I finally finished the thread a week or so ago. Now look what showed up today. I’m super excited with how quickly they got here, the fit and finish and the overall quality! I’m so glad I was able to get both an Ashley’s Choice and a Rosewood. These two are great I could not be happier with them.
View attachment 988026 View attachment 988024 View attachment 988025

Thanks so much Jack Black Jack Black for being a great source of information in this thread, a helpful hand in helping me get these and for being, from what I see, the keeper of this thread and all the awesomeness in it.

-Joe

Also, putting the knives in this little Tupperware thing for shipping is a crazy good idea. Nothing crushed and everything made it in perfect shape!!
View attachment 988027
Welcome to the Guardians Joe! You’ve two great knives there to start your journey into the wonderful world of the Lambsfoot! :thumbsup: :D

Today I’m carrying my 2018 Guardians Ebony. Every time I handle this knife I am amazed at the beauty of the Ebony and the overall craftsmanship! :D

29843525047_fda5979450_b_d.jpg

Guardians,

When i joined this forum I’d always pass over this thread. It’s a giant and, to be honest, it’s more than a little intimidating to dive into. And, if you start at the most current part of the thread, there’s a definite “secret society” vibe to it.

Well, I started reading it from the beginning about a month ago. And somewhere near pages 70-80 I got a real itch to pick one of these up. I’ve always been a fan of US made knives and the culture of them here in the States. But it was really interesting to learn about another style(?) of pocket knife and I reached out to Jack Black Jack Black for some info on sourcing a good one.

While I went through the process I kept reading and I finally finished the thread a week or so ago. Now look what showed up today. I’m super excited with how quickly they got here, the fit and finish and the overall quality! I’m so glad I was able to get both an Ashley’s Choice and a Rosewood. These two are great I could not be happier with them.
View attachment 988026 View attachment 988024 View attachment 988025

Thanks so much Jack Black Jack Black for being a great source of information in this thread, a helpful hand in helping me get these and for being, from what I see, the keeper of this thread and all the awesomeness in it.

-Joe

Also, putting the knives in this little Tupperware thing for shipping is a crazy good idea. Nothing crushed and everything made it in perfect shape!!
View attachment 988027
Welcome! I'm glad I got in on the first page, as I don't think I have the fortitude to read this one over from the beginning! :p
gnZI6rD.jpg

I'm not sure that's exactly how it works Greg, but I do hope there is an element of satisfaction it it :) Thank you my friend :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know. I had described my mental image a different way, decided it was too wordy, edited it, and somehow made you sound like the boss man without realizing it. ;)

At any rate, good to think there’s satisfaction for maker and recipient alike.

The praise is well deserved Jack! For you and Wright’s both my friend! :thumbsup: :)

Welcome to the Guardians Joe! You’ve two great knives there to start your journey into the wonderful world of the Lambsfoot! :thumbsup: :D

Today I’m carrying my 2018 Guardians Ebony. Every time I handle this knife I am amazed at the beauty of the Ebony and the overall craftsmanship! :D

29843525047_fda5979450_b_d.jpg

Thanks Ron :) Good choice my friend, I really enjoy carrying mine :) :thumbsup:

Lambs and unicorns eh? :D :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know. I had described my mental image a different way, decided it was too wordy, edited it, and somehow made you sound like the boss man without realizing it. ;)

At any rate, good to think there’s satisfaction for maker and recipient alike.

LOL! I certainly don't want that! :D The fellers are due a tin of biscuits over there though :) :thumbsup: Maybe we should set up a biscuit fund! :D :thumbsup:

Nice post, Joe.
I joined shortly after you did, and this thread has become my favorite. Never even heard of a "lambsfoot" knife before. Have had scout knives, pen knives, SAKs, trappers, stockmans, and a few lockbacks. Even a couple of switchblades. Jack has been great, and a wonderful ambassador for this fine old pattern. Got an Ashley's Choice on its way to me now.
--Vince

Thank you, Vince. I hope your AC arrives soon. Hopefully with some nice pics when you get it.

Welcome to The Guardians Joe! ;) Well done on your Herculean efforts to read through the thread, it's certainly getting big now, but hopefully there's lots of good knowledge in there :) I'm glad the knives made it, and that you're pleased with them, I think they will serve you well. I try to package everything as securely as possible - if anyone thinks I'm losing my marbles writing their address on every single layer of packaging, it's just in case a parcel should get burst open! :eek: The packages end up being a heck of a lot bigger than the contents, but are hopefully less likely to get lost as a result :thumbsup: Thanks for the kind words and great pics, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts here :) :thumbsup:

Thanks again, Jack. I’m glad to be have something to post in this thread now.

4CD51592-556A-4163-91F2-B3A376D26B81.jpeg

Jack,

Somewhere earlier on in the thread you showed off a medium(?) Wright in stainless.

I’m interested in the stainless used and if that’s something readily available if you’ve got some info

-Joe

That all looks amazing... but those mushrooms look absolutely, mouth-watering, delicious.

Thanks John, just clearing out the refrigerator ;) :thumbsup:

Jack,

Somewhere earlier on in the thread you showed off a medium(?) Wright in stainless.

I’m interested in the stainless used and if that’s something readily available if you’ve got some info

-Joe

Hey Joe,

Sorry for the slow reply, you wouldn't believe how long I've been trying to post o_O Bad internet connection I'm afraid :(

I've never had a Wright's Lambsfoot in stainless Joe, are you talking about one of these perhaps?

Both Taylor's Eye Witness and Egginton (using the George Wostenholm - IXL and Joseph Rodgers marks) make Lambsfoot knives in stainless, but I don't know what sort of stainless they use.

Stan Shaw made me this unusual Lambsfoot in stainless. I'd asked him for one in carbon. He told me "I thought you could keep it for best"! :rolleyes: :D

Worth checking out are knives marketed under the Outdoor Edge and (Taylor) Schrade brands. The former is sold as a Lambsfoot here, but may not be in the US (think it's discontinued anyway), and the latter is the 'Landshark', one of which r8shell r8shell very kindly gifted me (with a lot of other goodies! :)) :thumbsup:

Beautiful pictures Dave:thumbsup: I'm glad you enjoying autumn weather and foliage. It's still hot as blue blazes down here! Maybe by the end of October I'll be enjoying fall ;)
Thanks Rob! Fall has to be my all time favorite time of the year. We live on the edge here as we had snow a couple days back, but that's normal. Then it warms up again for a while, our farmers are having a hard time getting the crops in as it been to wet.

My AC wee stag arrived today and it was well worth the wait:eek::eek: Awesome stag ! Fit and finish is excellent too ! I couldn't be happier:) :) Thank you Jack for bringing us these great little knives ! Please thank Ashley, he's the man :thumbsup::thumbsup:
OuhTaFH.jpg

omOkTxe.jpg

Back