Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Lambsfoot accompanied me this morning to the Doctors office for an ultrasound, my wife is 18 weeks pregnant with twins, and today we got the fantastic news that we will be having twin boys! What a day! I am so excited!
EhHK7Pf.jpg

Congratulations Jordan! :) :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack. The Unity sings my friend. Hope you are getting better.

Thank you Dwight :) :thumbsup:

No early morning trip to the market for me this Thursday as I am finally getting my boiler fixed (it needs a new pump). Hoping to get down there later, and then going out for dinner, so I think I'm going to go dressy ;) :thumbsup:

XyvW1dR.jpg

Sitting on my porch, listening to Astros vs. Rangers on the radio.
04LNcK3.jpg

I love listening to baseball on the radio! :thumbsup: We've finally got some beautiful cigar weather here in Minnesota, but I haven't sat down and enjoyed one yet.

Just received an old Lambfoot in today . Did not go to the Mail Box until after the sun went down , so had to take pics in door .
This knife has had a lot of wear on the Bone and the Steel , but it is old and a Taylors Eye Witness and a pretty low price , and I needed it .

That one looks like it's spent a few decades in a pocket, Harry! :D

Jack Black Jack Black I had you in mind when I was taking these.

46737128875_70502ae7df_h.jpg

Did you sneak in to Jack's place and take that picture on his kitchen table?! :eek: :D

OK folks, I've uploaded some pics. Just a little background, there's been an Easter tournament at the Royal Armouries for more than 20 years now, it's a 4-day tournament, but I was only able to go to the final. The teams this year came from Britain, Poland, Canada, and the USA, and it's the first time the Canadian and US teams have taken part (probably a bit of a struggle going through the airport X-ray machine I imagine :eek:) :thumbsup:

[photo]

The US knights are Jeff Sanders and Jeffrey Watson. I wondered if our fellow Guardian Dave @Horsewright might possibly know Jeff Sanders as he's a 6th generation professional horseman and vaquero, and still does some ranch work. Jeffrey is a professional armourer.

[photo]

Team Canada are Jessy Dufresne from Quebec and Jean-Francois Drapeau, who lives in Calgary! Small world @dc50, both seemed great guys :thumbsup:

The Polish team are Michal Ruda and Piotr Rydzewski.

Team UK are Andrew Dane, who works at the Royal Armouries, and at 54 is still carrying off most of the prizes, and Mike Collin, a stunt rider and actor with a bunch of TV and film credits.

Having hurt my back in the morning, I was determined to try and keep moving despite the pain, but was not prepared for the seating at the Royal Armouries tilt yard, low concrete benches, which were probably designed with school-children in mind, sitting down was absolute agony! While I was sat there immobilised by pain, the rest of the audience were entertained by limber jesters :rolleyes:

[photo]

The judges rode in, both very experienced in the field.

[photo]

Team Canada enter the arena.

[photo]

Followed by Team Poland.

[photo]

Team UK.

[photo]

Team USA.

[photo]

The teams are comprised of two knights, an outrider, and various pages.

[photo]

The first event was the melee, with the knights armed with wooden staves to clout each with, and a point scoring system for where blows were landed. We were in the Canadian corner.

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

The horses are amazing, fearless, and incredibly agile.

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

(More to come)

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

The riders seemed to be having the time of their lives too! :D

[photo]

Team UK won the melee, despite stiff competition from the Poles :thumbsup:

[photo]

Another pic of Jeff Sanders.

[photo]

Jousting was next ;)

With two and half hours to go until the jousting, we went to have lunch at a pizza restaurant adjacent to the Armouries, and sat and watched as the queue (the line) began to grow, extending to several hundred yards long before we reluctantly joined it 45 minutes ahead of the 3.00pm start. The queue eventually snaked back behind us even further than it did in front. When we eventually got back in the arena, our seats were badly placed, and I was in even more pain than before, but I tried to get a few pics of the jousting (I would have stood up, but I couldn't actually move my legs at this point! And it wasn't allowed ;)) :thumbsup:

The knights ride in.

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

The jousting was very exciting, the riders come in at full tilt, and head shots were allowed for the first time this year :eek:

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

How on earth did we end up playing cricket here?! :rolleyes:

The tournament over, spoils went to the victors ;) Each year the participants vote on whom amongst their number has been the most chivalrous. They chose Jeffrey Wasson from New York City :thumbsup:

[photo]

The US team also won the Sword of Honour (presented by a bloke from the Royal Armouries who couldn't be bothered to dress up :rolleyes:) :thumbsup:

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

While Team UK galloped in to take the Queen's Golden Jubilee Horn (Andrew Deane has won it twice before, and the Sword of Honour seven times) :thumbsup:

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

The knights ride out.

[photo]

[photo]

[photo]

Entertaining stuff, Jack, and fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing! I wonder if the international knights travel with their own horses, or ride "local" horses? (The UK team might have a bit of an advantage if it's the latter! o_O ;)) I know there are specialty airlines that transport horses (for Olympic equestrian events and such), but I'm sure it's very expensive.

(This new forum system sure makes quoting photo-heavy posts difficult! :mad: :rolleyes:)

LOL! They were excellent Vince :D I wanted to call my middle daughter Ellie Mae, but like @Nature Boy , I was thwarted! :D :thumbsup:

Well, my recently born granddaughter is Eleanor, but her parents call her "Ellie." :)
(I've been thwarted in the naming business, too. Couldn't even get "Thomas" (Apostle, Aquinas, Becket, More, Sawyer, etc.) for any of my sons because my wife knew a Tom or Tommy once that she hated!)

A very nice name Vince :) We did call her Eleanor, but she prefers Ellie. She is a mother herself now :thumbsup:

That's unfortunate! :rolleyes: We picked both female names and male names, but they were all girls, my son-in-law and me are the only guys! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black Prester John Prester John my daughter's name is Ellie. I call her Elouise...her nickname is longer than her given name....lol.

That's cool Taylor, Barrett's daughter too :) I used to call my Ellie 'Elouise', but her second name is Louise. She has often asked me why we picked the name Louise, and I tell her that "we" didn't! :D

Who knew we had so many Eleanors/Ellies between us? :D

I don't have any new Lambsfoot content to post, so I'll just repost this picture of my Eleanor assessing my Ironwood Guardians Lambsfoot.

mU0nbzv.jpg

I love listening to baseball on the radio! :thumbsup: We've finally got some beautiful cigar weather here in Minnesota, but I haven't sat down and enjoyed one yet.

That one looks like it's spent a few decades in a pocket, Harry! :D

Did you sneak in to Jack's place and take that picture on his kitchen table?! :eek: :D

Entertaining stuff, Jack, and fantastic photos! Thank you for sharing! I wonder if the international knights travel with their own horses, or ride "local" horses? (The UK team might have a bit of an advantage if it's the latter! o_O ;)) I know there are specialty airlines that transport horses (for Olympic equestrian events and such), but I'm sure it's very expensive.

(This new forum system sure makes quoting photo-heavy posts difficult! :mad: :rolleyes:)

I don't have any new Lambsfoot content to post, so I'll just repost this picture of my Eleanor assessing my Ironwood Guardians Lambsfoot.

mU0nbzv.jpg

I don't follow sport much, but I used to enjoy listening to boxing on the radio (enjoy watching it too) :)

My kitchen table is not too bad at the moment Barrett, but I have a very large box full of all the knives I've picked up which would otherwise be on the table to remind me to clean them. Of course, since they're in the box, I kind of forgot about them :rolleyes:

Thanks Barrett, I did wonder about the horses, which were absolutely amazing. They were all trained and supplied by a firm called Atkinson Action Horses, the riders seemed to be pretty familiar with them though (we were closest to the Canadian team). They supply horses for films, and also put on their own shows (from a quick look at their website): http://actionhorses.co.uk/ There's some videos online too, eg:

(Better get Dave @Horsewright back in here to have a look at that ;) )

The Royal Armouries did have their own horses and riders, who put on free displays several times a day, falcons and handlers, a resident armourer and a gunsmith, but they all got made redundant a few years ago :(

Such a great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

https://i.imgur.com/hDV3any.jpg

mU0nbzv.jpg
Here's my Eleanor with her knife:
hDV3any.jpg

She'll graduate to a lambsfoot eventually!

[Not a real knife, so I hope it doesn't violate the non-lambsfoot knife rule!]

https://i.imgur.com/hDV3any.jpg
Here's my Eleanor with her knife:
hDV3any.jpg

She'll graduate to a lambsfoot eventually!

[Not a real knife, so I hope it doesn't violate the non-lambsfoot knife rule!]

Such a cool pic Vince, you need to make her a Lambsfoot! :D I have a photo of my granddaughter (Ellie's daughter) running around with a plastic ninja sword on her first birthday :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Barrett, I did wonder about the horses, which were absolutely amazing. They were all trained and supplied by a firm called Atkinson Action Horses, the riders seemed to be pretty familiar with them though (we were closest to the Canadian team). They supply horses for films, and also put on their own shows (from a quick look at their website): http://actionhorses.co.uk/ There's some videos online too, eg:
I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting the links and vids Jack. Amazing footage of the most majestic of creatures.

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting the links and vids Jack. Amazing footage of the most majestic of creatures.

Thanks Dwight, I haven't spent much time around horses, but they are certainly beautiful creatures. My daughters can ride, but I never did, no money for that kind of thing when I was a kid. I know it's different for rural folks :) An Irish friend of mine once invited me up to his farm in Scotland, and asked me if I could ride a horse. At the time, I thought it was the daftest question in the world, and told him, "Of course I can't, I'm from Sheffield!" :D Actually, several members of my family were in cavalry regiments, but I'm not sure they'd have gotten to ride horses though, not most of them anyway :rolleyes:

I don't follow sport much, but I used to enjoy listening to boxing on the radio (enjoy watching it too) :)

I'm with you there, Jack. I remember back in the day, there was no cable or satellite TV, so unless you went to a theatre for a pay per view, the only way to experience title fights was on the radio. I have fond memories of listening to the Joe Frazier vs. Jimmy Ellis heavyweight title fight in November of 1970 on the radio. Smokin' Joe was a favorite of mine.

I'm with you there, Jack. I remember back in the day, there was no cable or satellite TV, so unless you went to a theatre for a pay per view, the only way to experience title fights was on the radio. I have fond memories of listening to the Joe Frazier vs. Jimmy Ellis heavyweight title fight in November of 1970 on the radio. Smokin' Joe was a favorite of mine.

A great boxer Jeff, I always think that it's a shame there's no statue to him in his home town, while there's a statue to an imaginary boxer :(

So I went to bed last night just before 2am, which was about 12 hours ago
During that time, there have been 64 posts in this thread :eek: No wonder it takes me so long to catch up. Maybe I should just sleep in this chair :)
Lambsfoot accompanied me this morning to the Doctors office for an ultrasound, my wife is 18 weeks pregnant with twins, and today we got the fantastic news that we will be having twin boys! What a day! I am so excited!
That is just stupendous! Mucho congrats to you and the Mrs. :cool: Better start saving up though 'cause you'll have to buy 2 of everything :)
As far as I'm concerned, baseball is the only sport that really works on the radio. It's like they were made for each other. You need good announcers, though.
Couldn't agree more. The supposed #1 radio announcer for the Giants is too wordy for me and seems to like to hear himself talk. He'll start talking about ships in the bay ad nauseam, rather than stick to calling the game. I like the other guy though, and Duane Kuiper is a great radio announcer :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot Dennis, I just took some more pain-killers, but am a lot better than I was on Monday :)
LOL! :D :thumbsup:
Glad to hear you are feeling better. If your pills are like mine, just watch out for the constipation blues :confused:
Ground_1024aA_HDR.jpg
OG

Last edited:
Back