Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Well shucks, must be somthin' goin' around, 'cause I hafta go in Friday for day surgery to repair a recurrent hernia myself! Dad burn it all!!! I wish I was tougher instead of so damn good lookin'! ha

Oh well, I'll be dreamin' of lambs foots.....

wXEsOti.jpg

The current pace of this thread has me so befuddled that I didn't even realize I had a bunch of "old" quotes lined up for reply from at least a week ago. They showed up today when I thought I was responding to a bunch of more recent posts! :confused::rolleyes:

GT, I missed that day at school so I had to look up "Sisyphus" :rolleyes:
You nailed it, Dave. :) I hope you don't feel like you're packing and moving "tirelessly till eternity"! :eek:

Gary, you’re Lam Jack and its’ reflected light frames things nicely. I think I can speak for everyone when I say the welcome light is always on. Do what you have to do to take care of things. We’re blessed with your presence.
Thanks for the kind words, Harvey. :) Quite an impressive flock of lambs you're shepherding these days! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good to see you here GT :) And your Lam Jack :) Keep pushing the rock brother! ;) :D :thumbsup:
I'm at least as thrilled by Charlie's announcement as everyone else - been waiting for this one a lonnnnnngg time - but please bear in mind my comments above, and also help protect the non-commercial nature of our thread from the indiscretions of any newcomers who wander in :) :thumbsup: To celebrate the great news, I thought I'd carry a couple of Big 'Uns myself today :) :thumbsup:

fp5pxG7.jpg
Thanks for the welcome, Jack; hard to tell sometimes if I'm pushing the rock, or if it's pushing me! :rolleyes:
Remarkable that an American lambsfoot is in the offing; congrats to Charlie @waynorth ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your big ebony/ivory lambs must be playing in a major key! ;)

Good Sunday Gary, Beautiful Guardians "17"!!!:):thumbsup:
Thanks, José. :)

Gary you did a mighty fine job on creating a totem. :thumbsup::cool: your Native American name is "GT Running Shoe" :D
Thanks, Dave. :) As long as my name isn't GT Running Mouth. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I speak for all of us, we are just happy when you have time to pop in. :cool:
Thanks for the encouragement, John. I wonder if by nature and/or by upbringing I just have a tendency to avoid high-traffic situations, whether on the road or in forum threads. ;)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind remarks. The window-lit portrait of your Union and Lam Jacks is superb, shown with a spot on composition. Some real skill with the totem carving. Have you ever carved an Opinel? Finally, that red leaf in the image of the Lam Jack adds a nice touch.
I appreciate your supportive words about my photographic efforts, Harvey, even though any good pics I take are more by accident than intent! ;) I've neither carved with an Opinel nor carved an Opinel handle, but I'd sometime like to try both of those. (Actually, I did use knife to reshape the handle of an Opinel to a cigar shape, but it wasn't really "carving".)

Good to see you here, Gary. Lovely photo of Lam Jack, and great post.
Thanks, Vince. :) BTW, my grocery store no longer carries Shiner Bock, but I did pick up some Sam Adams Boston Lager, and you didn't steer me wrong on that; good stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks for stewarding us down Memory Lane GT, and it's nice to see your timeless Lam Jack :) :thumbsup:

I think Cheddar is the most popular GT, both in Yorkshire and nationally (the other bit ;) ) :) Wensleydale was always a cheese I enjoyed though, subtle, creamy, and crumbly. I think it was popularised more recently, by an animated series called Wallace & Grommit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallace_and_Gromit) :thumbsup: Thank you for your kind words, and for another pic :) :thumbsup:
Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Jack, and for the cheese info. :)

Hasta luego amigo. Y pronto.

Thank you GT. Yep we are greening up around here. But the green grass is mostly rye that I planted back in the fall.
View attachment 1106362
Thanks, Dwight. The grass in my yard is finally turning green, the crocuses have come and gone, I saw a bunch of daffodils and hyacinths today, and most of the trees are budding, so I think spring may be here at last!
Fantastic photo: "I saw the light!";)

But Betty might get jealous! :eek::D
Always good to see ya here, GT!

33662445948_fd1b45c6ac_h.jpg

With some motor bikes from the same side of the pond. :D
Thanks for the greeting, FBC. :) Nice pic of your ironwood. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I know almost nothing about motorcycles, but I once shared an apartment with a guy who had a 1960s Honda Super Hawk (that he tore down completely for the winter and stored in cupboards, dressers, behind the couch, etc :eek:) and subscribed to biker magazines. I always like the Norton ads. ;)

I really love the Senator(have 2, now) and hope you enjoy yours with that nice Stag cover, Gary.
View attachment 1109713
Indeed I do enjoy that stag senator, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup: That venerable lambsfoot of yours is a treasure! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

GT your a genius! Doesn't Einstein's Theory of General Relatively state that if you travel faster than light you could appear throughout existence at all times? So if were posting faster than light new posts would appear throughout the thread from page 1 through to the n² page which would explain why I've got 43 pages to catch up since last posting on April 5th, but why were not at 950 pages as I predicted because some old posts are now in the future and the new posts are appearing in the past..... :confused:
That's a nice looking Senator, A.Wright did well with the stag on that one :thumbsup:
Whoa, David, time travel speculation always gives me a headache! :D You've got quite an imagination! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the Man Jack compliment. :)

Good to see both you and your Man Jack here GT :) :thumbsup:
iwwVgDP.jpg

Q6MT7zN.jpg

Thanks, Jack. :) Couple of fine photos! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats to you (and to all the Guardians who acquired one) for those lambsfoots with the incredibly posh pedicures (Damascus, filework, coining)!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What showpieces! :eek::cool::cool:

I think with a lot of the earlier models of that pattern, they started off with stag which wasn't the best, cut it too thick, then ground off half the character. My first example was absolutely awful o_O Wright's made me another with Sambar covers, my first contact with the firm. Very decent of them, and the stag is a lot better, but it still suffers from the same issue, why use good stag and then grind if off?! :confused:
Thanks for your interesting remarks on the evolution of Wrights' use of stag, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Gary it’s so good to see you and your “Man Jack”! :thumbsup: :D
:D Man Jack was really looking fine.
Thanks for the Man Jack mentions, Ron & Dwight. :)

That's a superb photo, Dwight, and almost the pic I wanted to request from you. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: If you get a chance, could we see your AC and your Damascus stag together, but showing pile side of BOTH? IIRC from separate photos, those pile sides are quite similar, aren't they?

Good week for everyone, even because Easter is approaching. Today I will post some photos of the city of Ermesinde where I live, as well as my lambs foot green/brown!!!;):thumbsup:
Really enjoyed the photos of your city, Senhor Pinto! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do "high velocity" trains come to your town? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, I was very impressed that the train we took from Madrid to Valencia traveled at 300 kph!! :eek:

- GT

Here are the more recent posts to which I intended to respond. :rolleyes:

Awesome pictures, GT!:) Glad to see you and your Valley Jack!:thumbsup:
9jYYeLr.jpg
Thanks, Mark. :) You are on a real "hot streak" of splendid pics of your ironwood lambsfoot! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

That is beautiful. Great pic.
Thanks, and congrats on the news about a pair of sons coming your way!! :thumbsup::)

Great to see you here GT, hope you're keeping well my friend, those are fine pics of your '19 :) :thumbsup:
I'll try and get some uploaded this morning OG, it was a pretty spectacular display. Bad timing for my back problems to recur, it's not been too bad the past few months too :( I hope it passes in a few days, thanks OG :thumbsup:
Thanks, Jack, and thanks for the pictorial posts on the Pace Egg plays with St. George and on the jousting tournament. Together they reminded me of a painting I saw at the US National Gallery of Art in Washington DC many years ago; I even bought a print of it in the gift shop.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_George_and_the_Dragon_(Raphael)
Did the knights use the same horses for both the melee and the jousting? I don't know much about horses, but I know what I like, and that Polish horse was a champion charger, a majestic mount, a stupendous steed, a breathtaking beast!!! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup:

Wow, that is really stunning, Gary, great photo.
Thanks, Preston. :) The sunshine really enhances the looks of my Valley Jack!

Incredible story, Mike! Glad things are looking up, and you hung tough through it all! Prayers for you and your family!
And a big congratulations on the new member of the family.
Plus, fantastic photos of some great knives! Thamks for the posts!
Great photos as always, Gary!:):thumbsup:
Mine again, encouraged by Preston, and via Petrified Wood: Working on the patina ...
0jFrYge.jpg
Dennis, your remarks to Mike are spot-on; well-said! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::)
Nice patina! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Actually used my Valley Jack for the first time this morning. Cut up some apple, banana, clementine, grapes, and hot peppers for my oatmeal. No new pics, though. Here's an old one:
IJ.mark.closed.on.tin.LR.jpg

- GT

So I went to bed last night just before 2am, which was about 12 hours ago
During that time, there have been 64 posts in this thread :eek: No wonder it takes me so long to catch up. Maybe I should just sleep in this chair :)

That is just stupendous! Mucho congrats to you and the Mrs. :cool: Better start saving up though 'cause you'll have to buy 2 of everything :)

Couldn't agree more. The supposed #1 radio announcer for the Giants is too wordy for me and seems to like to hear himself talk. He'll start talking about ships in the bay ad nauseam, rather than stick to calling the game. I like the other guy though, and Duane Kuiper is a great radio announcer :thumbsup:

Glad to hear you are feeling better. If your pills are like mine, just watch out for the constipation blues :confused:
View attachment 1116909
OG

Yikes! :eek: Thank you OG, yeah, I found that! :eek: :D Cool pic :cool: :thumbsup:

Well shucks, must be somthin' goin' around, 'cause I hafta go in Friday for day surgery to repair a recurrent hernia myself! Dad burn it all!!! I wish I was tougher instead of so damn good lookin'! ha

Oh well, I'll be dreamin' of lambs foots.....

wXEsOti.jpg

Blimey, hope your op goes OK Barry :thumbsup: My buddy @ADEE has only just had a hernia op too. Sweet dreams thinking of lambsfootzzz ;) :thumbsup:

The current pace of this thread has me so befuddled that I didn't even realize I had a bunch of "old" quotes lined up for reply from at least a week ago. They showed up today when I thought I was responding to a bunch of more recent posts! :confused::rolleyes:

You nailed it, Dave. :) I hope you don't feel like you're packing and moving "tirelessly till eternity"! :eek:

Thanks for the kind words, Harvey. :) Quite an impressive flock of lambs you're shepherding these days! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome, Jack; hard to tell sometimes if I'm pushing the rock, or if it's pushing me! :rolleyes:
Remarkable that an American lambsfoot is in the offing; congrats to Charlie @waynorth ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Your big ebony/ivory lambs must be playing in a major key! ;)

Thanks, José. :)

Thanks, Dave. :) As long as my name isn't GT Running Mouth. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouragement, John. I wonder if by nature and/or by upbringing I just have a tendency to avoid high-traffic situations, whether on the road or in forum threads. ;)

I appreciate your supportive words about my photographic efforts, Harvey, even though any good pics I take are more by accident than intent! ;) I've neither carved with an Opinel nor carved an Opinel handle, but I'd sometime like to try both of those. (Actually, I did use knife to reshape the handle of an Opinel to a cigar shape, but it wasn't really "carving".)

Thanks, Vince. :) BTW, my grocery store no longer carries Shiner Bock, but I did pick up some Sam Adams Boston Lager, and you didn't steer me wrong on that; good stuff! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Jack, and for the cheese info. :)

Thanks, Dwight. The grass in my yard is finally turning green, the crocuses have come and gone, I saw a bunch of daffodils and hyacinths today, and most of the trees are budding, so I think spring may be here at last!
Fantastic photo: "I saw the light!";)

Thanks for the greeting, FBC. :) Nice pic of your ironwood. :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: I know almost nothing about motorcycles, but I once shared an apartment with a guy who had a 1960s Honda Super Hawk (that he tore down completely for the winter and stored in cupboards, dressers, behind the couch, etc :eek:) and subscribed to biker magazines. I always like the Norton ads. ;)

Indeed I do enjoy that stag senator, Harvey. :thumbsup::thumbsup: That venerable lambsfoot of yours is a treasure! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

Whoa, David, time travel speculation always gives me a headache! :D You've got quite an imagination! :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the Man Jack compliment. :)

Thanks, Jack. :) Couple of fine photos! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Congrats to you (and to all the Guardians who acquired one) for those lambsfoots with the incredibly posh pedicures (Damascus, filework, coining)!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: What showpieces! :eek::cool::cool:

Thanks for your interesting remarks on the evolution of Wrights' use of stag, Jack. :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Thanks for the Man Jack mentions, Ron & Dwight. :)

That's a superb photo, Dwight, and almost the pic I wanted to request from you. ;):thumbsup::thumbsup: If you get a chance, could we see your AC and your Damascus stag together, but showing pile side of BOTH? IIRC from separate photos, those pile sides are quite similar, aren't they?

Really enjoyed the photos of your city, Senhor Pinto! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: Do "high velocity" trains come to your town? When I visited my daughter in Spain several years ago, I was very impressed that the train we took from Madrid to Valencia traveled at 300 kph!! :eek:

- GT

I have always been fascinated by time travel GT, sadly your posts are probably the nearest thing I'll get to it! :p :D :thumbsup: Thanks for all your kind words my friend :) That seems very fast for a Spanish train GT ;) I have never been on the high-velocity train, but I used to go on the TALGO regularly, and while it had a pleasant dining car, I found it only moderately paced, particularly compared to the French TGV. Here it can take 100 minutes to get from Sheffield to Leeds by train though, a distance of just over 40 miles o_O Maybe that's actually the nearest I'll get to time travel! o_O ;) :D :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Very grateful Gary, no, we in Portugal still do not have high-speed trains, it's also a small country and I do not think it's necessary.:):thumbsup:

Thanks GT. Yes they are similar in color and stag. Here's a pile side shot of em.
IMG_1588.jpeg

Actually used my Valley Jack for the first time this morning.
Beautiful ironwood.

Ole reliable today.
oNTTTSK.jpg
Very nice pic Dave.

gunstockjack gunstockjack Barry I hope your surgery goes well Friday and recovery is swift.

After a couple of busy day and another on for tomorrow, I know I'll not get caught up in this thread. I'll just solider on from here...
Jack, sorry about your back and the pain you're experiencing. The jousting pictures and commentary was superb and very entertaining as well as enlightening. Thank you for doing such a great job.

I have been going through the Guardian's posts of the past few days. What great pictures, each one worthy of a calendar page. Such a pleasure to view and read. Kudos to you all.
Have a terrific Thursday.
DSC_0245.JPG

Great stuff Kevin :) :thumbsup:
Couldn't have done it without ya, my friend.

flatblackcapo flatblackcapo I just can't get enough of these horn lambs. Another stunner Kevin!
Thanks, Dwight

Did you sneak in to Jack's place and take that picture on his kitchen table?! :eek: :D
I think Jack Black Jack Black and I might be brothers from another mother. :D

Always good to see you around, GT.
Motorcycles in the house?:eek: Reminds me of my childhood.
Seriously, it was not unusual to have Harley parts laying all around and a bike parked in the living room.

Back