Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

That is a species of dear Larry. Jack has answered your question in the quote from his post below. He is far more familiar with the background and use of this stag in the Sheffield Cutlery trade. Here is a link to some info on the species.

Thanks Jack! :thumbsup::)

Thanks for the information. I would have never known otherwise. I would have assumed that it was Sambar Stag. So is the majority of stag used in the Sheffield Cutlery trade Pere David stag? Is the stag used on the knife in the image below Pere David? Thanks.
Larry

Thanks for the information. I would have never known otherwise. I would have assumed that it was Sambar Stag. So is the majority of stag used in the Sheffield Cutlery trade Pere David stag? Is the stag used on the knife in the image below Pere David? Thanks.
Larry

For at least a couple of decades now, the Indian government has had an export ban in place on Sambar stag. This hit the Sheffield cutlers particularly hard, since it was unexpected, and the small remaining firms didn't keep stocks, as firms like Joseph Rodgers did in the past.

6Sp1OZY.jpg

Also, British stag is much less dense than Sambar stag with less character.

SpoTKms.jpg

They were forced to use very poor stag, seek alternatives, such as camel-bone, or abandon using stag altogether. Wright's stag was generally quite characterless, but they then managed to source some Pere David stag, which was a good deal better, and get it in decent quantities.

afo226K.jpg

They also managed to secure a smaller quantity of vintage Sambar, which had been cut for steak knife handles, which I used for the Ashley's Choice knives, and for some of the recent Damascus ones. It will also be used on the forthcoming Lambsfoot Barlows :thumbsup:

1tMr5yR.jpg

For at least a couple of decades now, the Indian government has had an export ban in place on Sambar stag. This hit the Sheffield cutlers particularly hard, since it was unexpected, and the small remaining firms didn't keep stocks, as firms like Joseph Rodgers did in the past.

6Sp1OZY.jpg

SpoTKms.jpg

They were forced to use very poor stag, seek alternatives, such as camel-bone, or abandon using stag altogether. Wright's stag was generally quite characterless, but they then managed to source some Pere David stag, which was a good deal better, and get it in decent quantities.

afo226K.jpg

They also managed to secure a smaller quantity of vintage Sambar, which had been cut for steak knife handles, which I used for the Ashley's Choice knives, and for some of the recent Damascus ones. It will also be used on the forthcoming Lambsfoot Barlows :thumbsup:

1tMr5yR.jpg
Alrighty Then. He said Barlow.:thumbsup::)

I had time on my hands and did my best, knowing that I’m likely wrong, but it was great fun trying. The real reward was the expansion of my Sheffield Cutlery knowledge. For resources, I used the Guardians thread, Google, Sheffield History Forum, plus other knife related forums, and various Auction Sites. Each of these resources, led me to other resources. In the end, I take none of what I learned as gospel.

I’m no longer in school:), so here is my condensed conclusion: You originally acquired three Saynors, two of which were gifted.Very stiff openers, I might add.:) The Saynor name, has been in existence, approximately from 1865 to 1958. The Ltd. was added in 1910. My guess is your knife is between 1910 to 1930 or thereabouts. Like I said right or wrong, it was great fun:) Have a wonderful Sunday, Jack.
Way to go. You certainly deserve the prize :thumbsup:
OG
I go with what was said in the first "entry post" by Harvey, because... - https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...arncliffe-blades.1614419/page-4#post-18442232
As an aside, I had finished my "Google quest" and was going to write my entry when I saw that Harvey had already posted. Since I was so impressed by his research, I decided not to post which was just as well as I was going to take a stab in the dark and guess 1930, anyway.
I couldn't make out the letter following "W." and since I am a neophyte in the Lambsfoot world, it didn't dawn on me to Google Saynor-so I put letters in front of "aynor" starting with E followed by Lambsfoot. When I got to S, and put in "saynor lambsfoot" I thought I might have struck paydirt. So I clicked Images and the contest photo was the first in line! So I came back here and was starting to write my entry when a I go an alert that a new post had been made and when I clicked on it, it was Harvey's entry. GRATS my friend :thumbsup:

Thank you once again Harvey :) I Hope you took some appreciation from your research of how hard it can be to date a Sheffield knife, even approximately. We are often left having to make guesses or estimates, but we should never present those as facts.
Right, let's have a look at this knife.
Attention must be given to how I acquired the knife, with two other identical Lambsfoot knives, and a fourth Saynor knife, which the seller, an antique dealer (and an unscrupulous one), told me he had acquired from an old Sheffield cutler.
All this discussion will hopefully indicate just how hard it can be to accurately date a Sheffield knife...
Great info, Jack. Thanks :thumbsup: Never met one yet who wasn't above taking "liberties" :rolleyes:

cigarrodog cigarrodog - Harvey, there'll be a Jiffy bag of Yorkshire tat on its way to you tomorrow my friend ;) :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Congratulations Harvey. You did some fine detective work. Right or wrong, you deserve that prize for showing the dedication and effort.
:thumbsup:
I know you all enjoy trees. Here is another picture of my grand old Oak tree in my backyard. As you can see, I finally got around to chopping down all the weeds that were waist-high. I really love this old tree, it's probably my favorite feature of my entire property.

That's certainly is a grand old gal :thumbsup:

2018a__Shadow_Crop_1024_.jpg
OG

Lovely picture, Dwight. Those big purple leaves are a great backdrop for that gorgeous stag.
Thanks John. Those are immature Red Bud leaves.

Glad it was of interest Dwight, I know where that one was made at least, and by whom! :D Great pic my friend
Thanks Jack

You did it again, Dwight, smashing photo!
Thanks Preston

I know you all enjoy trees. Here is another picture of my grand old Oak tree in my backyard. As you can see, I finally got around to chopping down all the weeds that were waist-high. I really love this old tree, it's probably my favorite feature of my entire property.

Yep John that is a magnificent old patriarch right there. How fortunate to have it on your place.

Sure is, a great comparison Harvey, if it wasn't for this mess Linda and I would have stayed put.
But you didn't which proves you are still your own man. :cool:

6Sp1OZY.jpg

SpoTKms.jpg

afo226K.jpg

1tMr5yR.jpg
Great stuff today (as always) Jack, Thank You :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Alrighty Then. He said Barlow.:thumbsup::)
:D:D:D

Way to go. You certainly deserve the prize :thumbsup:
OG

As an aside, I had finished my "Google quest" and was going to write my entry when I saw that Harvey had already posted. Since I was so impressed by his research, I decided not to post which was just as well as I was going to take a stab in the dark and guess 1930, anyway.
I couldn't make out the letter following "W." and since I am a neophyte in the Lambsfoot world, it didn't dawn on me to Google Saynor-so I put letters in front of "aynor" starting with E followed by Lambsfoot. When I got to S, and put in "saynor lambsfoot" I thought I might have struck paydirt. So I clicked Images and the contest photo was the first in line! So I came back here and was starting to write my entry when a I go an alert that a new post had been made and when I clicked on it, it was Harvey's entry. GRATS my friend :thumbsup:

Great info, Jack. Thanks :thumbsup: Never met one yet who wasn't above taking "liberties" :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

That's certainly is a grand old gal :thumbsup:

View attachment 1118931
OG

I have had to do that before myself OG, sometimes you can't even read the stamp. Well done for your efforts :) :thumbsup:

That one is a bad 'un my friend, I won't even deal with him anymore :mad: Some of them could take a bit of time to learn about the stuff they're peddling, but they'd rather just lie and cheat people :thumbsdown:

Back