Gun Hoarding...Why

Not badgering anyone.

Just wondering why.

All collections have an underlying reason.

Hi, Cabbit
I personally do not own a massive arsenal. It is currently restrained to a shotgun and several boxes of birdshot, buckshot, etc. I do, however, sympathize with the gun collectors. I really believe that it goes back to that primary need to at least feel that one is in control of one's destiny. It is, perhaps, a needless illusion, but having a huge arsenal does make some people feel more safe.

I do not believe that guns are responsible for gun violence. I believe that, for some unfathomable reason, American society is simply homicidal. I don't know why. Canada has more guns per capita and far less violence. I believe that wider ownership of guns may help a lot. You've probably heard that rhetoric, so I won't go on about that.

When it comes down to it, I think that it is an issue of peace-of-mind. You are probably not concerned about governmental overthrow or an invasion of some foreign force, but some are. What all people want is the assurance that they are safe, and some don't have a great ammount of faith in the police. They want to take care of themselves. I don't think there's anything intrinsically bad about being an avid gun and ammo collector/stockpiler. If it makes a person feel safe, and they treat their arsenal with respect, I don't see why not.

The problem is not in the weapons. The question is, why do people use them to murder people? A 25-inch Sirupati could take off a head quite easily, yet the people in this forum probably do not use them to this end. Most gun owners I know treat their guns with the same respect.

Cabbit said:
Yes, I do. This is what I'm interested in.

A reason why.

WHo would have thought that War World One could have started with a single bullet? Why? Hell I don't know. See here is the truth, you do not need a reason why. I simple string of events that causes the SHTF. Someone releases a super Smallpox and then TA DA SHTF. Super cold winter, someone bombs two to three natural gases storage places and a couple of refineries. No gas for cars, no way to stay warm then SHTF. Someone pops a nuke in Washington killing the leaders in the US then SHTF. Depsite what many want the goverment may not be able to always wrap its loving arms around people and sing soothing songs and when they don't I am glad that I know some of these scary people here on the forum.

namaarie said:
Hi, Cabbit
I personally do not own a massive arsenal. It is currently restrained to a shotgun and several boxes of birdshot, buckshot, etc. I do, however, sympathize with the gun collectors. I really believe that it goes back to that primary need to at least feel that one is in control of one's destiny. It is, perhaps, a needless illusion, but having a huge arsenal does make some people feel more safe.

I do not believe that guns are responsible for gun violence. I believe that, for some unfathomable reason, American society is simply homicidal. I don't know why. Canada has more guns per capita and far less violence. I believe that wider ownership of guns may help a lot. You've probably heard that rhetoric, so I won't go on about that.

When it comes down to it, I think that it is an issue of peace-of-mind. You are probably not concerned about governmental overthrow or an invasion of some foreign force, but some are. What all people want is the assurance that they are safe, and some don't have a great ammount of faith in the police. They want to take care of themselves. I don't think there's anything intrinsically bad about being an avid gun and ammo collector/stockpiler. If it makes a person feel safe, and they treat their arsenal with respect, I don't see why not.

The problem is not in the weapons. The question is, why do people use them to murder people? A 25-inch Sirupati could take off a head quite easily, yet the people in this forum probably do not use them to this end. Most gun owners I know treat their guns with the same respect.

Agreed completely.

Cabbit said:
Not badgering anyone.

Just wondering why.

All collections have an underlying reason.

I have a large collection of Khukuris for no underlying reason at all.

There are all kinds of SHTFs. Your stance on guns will largely depend on whether or not you believe the S will HTF and, if so, how hard. Also depends on how you intend to deal with it. It's all personal. I think that choice is important, and their judgement in the matter is sacrosanct.

"Having 50+ 30 round clips ready to go is a concern though"

...your damn right it is! Anyone with a lick of common sense would obviously go to belt-feed ammunition at that point :)

Cabbit,

Why dont' you answer some of our questions? I answered yours...

I guess I don't believe that society's problem lies in the gun nuts. It lies in the punks who think a gun is power. I think we're mostly on the same page, Cabbit. We just have different ways of dealing with the situation, and that's OK. :)

45-70 said:
Cabbit,

Why dont' you answer some of our questions? I answered yours...

Please feel free to ask away. I didn't notice any questions directed specifically to me.

45-70 said:
Lets put it another way, this is American, you know Home of the Free Land of the Brave... Why shouldn't a law abiding citizen have a pile of high cap mags if he wants too?

Just for my information Cabbit, why do you assume that someone is paranoid, or racist, or planning an act of extreme violence? I thought we were all innocent until proven guilty? Well at least in most cases.

Jeb Smith had a question for you as well...

45-70 said:
Jeb Smith had a question for you as well...

I thought I answered this one.

I don't assume anything. I was only passing on the opinion of many psychologists who specialize in treating people who fit the profile of the types I mentioned.

And for the record I see no reason for someone to not be able to own a high capacity magazine if they haven't been convicted of a violent crime or have a psychological disorder that would make it unwise.

As for Jeb Smith's question:

Have tons of them around ready to go signifies intent to use them. When it reaches that level it seems to me to be beyond the point of self defense.

Cabbit said:
As for Jeb Smith's question:

Have tons of them around ready to go signifies intent to use them. When it reaches that level it seems to me to be beyond the point of self defense.

Your idea of self defense may not be the same as mine thanks for wanting to make everyone follow what you feel is the proper way to go. Anyway off to bed for me good luck everyone.

Cabbit said:
I thought I answered this one.

I don't assume anything. I was only passing on the opinion of many psychologists who specialize in treating people who fit the profile of the types I mentioned.

Cabbit said:
...as that kind of talk is generally the trademark of extreme racism, paranoia or someone planning to commit an extreme act of violence.

OK so you are generalizing, BTW I own about 100 blank cd's at the moment. Does that make me paranoid that the internet would go down and I'd be computer fun less? I can't see a cause and effect relationship between gun ownership and "Extreme racism", paranoia, or conspiring to commit violence?

What is "Extreme Rascism" btw? How does it differ from plain racism? Is regular racism OK as long as you don't own guns?

Cabbit said:
And for the record I see no reason for someone to not be able to own a high capacity magazine if they haven't been convicted of a violent crime or have a psychological disorder that would make it unwise.
How nice, but once again, why shouldn't I be able to own any number that I want? I've looked, and have yet to see any evidence of magazines being possessed or committing criminal acts by themselves. Now clips you have to watch...

45-70 said:
OK so you are generalizing, BTW I own about 100 blank cd's at the moment. Does that make me paranoid that the internet would go down and I'd be computer fun less? I can't see a cause and effect relationship between gun ownership and "Extreme racism", paranoia, or conspiring to commit violence?

What is "Extreme Rascism" btw? How does it differ from plain racism? Is regular racism OK as long as you don't own guns?

How nice, but once again, why shouldn't I be able to own any number that I want? I've looked, and have yet to see any evidence of magazines being possessed or committing criminal acts by themselves. Now clips you have to watch...

There is no link between gun ownership and either of those behaviors. However, individuals who exhibit those behaviors often stockpile massive amounts weapons of all types.

The difference between Racism and Extreme Racism is going from "I don't like you because you look different" to "I'm going to have me a shooting gallery when the race riots come."

I'm not speaking for anyone but me. I live in a rural area, the police try their best to enforce the laws but they can't be everywhere. They have actually been sued unsuccessfully I might add, that they have no obligation to protect you, they can't be everywhere at once. Yes, FBI stats say that most firearm exchanges are over in a matter of moments, but guess what - some aren't. You mentioned riots and racism. I don't if the 25 people trying to break into my house are from pluto and there are all pink - they are in the wrong place and if I am home at the wrong time.

I love it when someone says that we are paranoid. Are they watching you? Damn right someone is - read a little on camera surviellance these days. I think in most cities you are caught buy about a doz cameras a day. So if I say I don't appreciate all of the surviellance of law abidding citizens, someone calls me paranoid.

Now as far as collecting firearms go. I shot my first deer with that old rifle that I will never use again, because it is not what I like these days but should I sell it? Grandpa rifle is in the safe, it has a sentimental and family heritage valve - sell it to lower my collection - you try to take that one from me. My wife came from a non shooting family. She shot her first whitetail ever with that Smith model 27 wheel gun in .357 Mag. Should I get rid of that - hell no! I was in college and recieved a grant for my education, I bought a High Standard bull barrel 22 rimfire target pistol. I've had it 30 years, why would I ever sell that.

Now that I have just stood up for all of us "Gun Whackos" let me tell you that my personal choice in my house is to not have anyfirearms loaded. Just personal choice. If you want to walk around your house with a loaded 45 on your waist and a mouse gun in 9mm strapped to your ankle and 3 blades on your body - I don't care - that is your choice as a free citizen. I would rather whack some of the neighborhood punks with my boken (wooden sword) of 25 years, or cut someone with a pocket blade - they have to be close, than carry for me personally. I also realise that knives are not the best personal defensive weapons when compared to many other options, but in America I get to choose. I don't have a semi auto rifle, my brother has a pre-ban AR 15 H-Bar that I already have dubes on if he ever sells it. For me only accurate arms interest me and this black gun can shoot.

I'm rambling, but this thread called my name and I had to start typing. Some do the collecting for family, historical fasination and the love of arms - some like the warm fuzzy blanket feeling that arms give to some. What's cool about this country is that we get to make those choices even though they have been limited, we still have some decisions to make as men and women in this country. Clay

45-70 said:

I see no reason why a person shouldn't be able to own a good number of them. However there is a point where it just becomes disturbing.

Back