Gun Hoarding...Why

Danny,
I can totally see that happening! ;) :D They'll probably just make a reality TV show. ;)

Danny, don't see what Martha has to do with this thread, but a little tat and some love would probably make her stock prices rise. Probably, would be good for business. Personally, I'm tat-free and at 45 don't see any changes in that standing at this point.

I know that Japan is a large country, but how close are you to Mushigame? I have another hobby besides blades and martial arts and that is koi keeping. You might recognize the word nishikigoi which literally means, brocaded carp or colored carp. Goofy hobby maybe, but many fish come from this area of Japan and the earth quakes have caused tremendous problems for the breaders of these fish.

Sorry, so far off of topic guys. Clay

I don't flatter myself that I'm adding anything profound, but it's the weird people who worry me - period.

A neighbor here got a tad nervious about 1/1/2000 and bought 3000 rounds of ball for his 30.06 deer rifle. That seemed a little impractical, but he didn't worry me. He seemed otherwise quite norma. (Now he's trying to sell it off.)

On the other hand, a former neighbor in another city owned a little .22 Stevens tubular feed rifle. If I'd know that fact I would have been nervious as Hell because he was a certified flake. Sure enough, he shot a neighbor one day totally out of the blue. The neighbor lived. Never figured out the why of the shooting. Flake is now a ward of the State.

Tell me who has the hi-cap mags and I'll tell you how much that scares me - if at all.

Disturbing to one person is normal to another.

I have several WWII bolt action rifles, and several 100 rounds for each one. I also have several hundred rounds of .22 for my .22 pistols and rifles... and I think I need to stock up on that .22 ammo cause I am running low.

Why do I do this? Cause it is fun. When I use my Mauser, I am shooting the rifle that the Germans took over Europe with. I have a sporterized version that is wearing a scope that has Nazi proof markings. It is a great conversation piece and to me an artifact that is still functional as a tool.

My Russian Nagant is the same type of thing. Fun.

You can burn through a 1000 rounds of .223 through a AR-15 in a day easy. Does that bother me, No. Actually I wish I could do that, but right now I am concentrating on longer ranges and greater accuracy with older firearms.

Am I crazy? I dont think so. If someone wants to have a AR or AK with several loaded mags under their bed ready to go will I feel anxious? No, I have a blade, a revolver (Ruger Security Six), 5 speed loaders, and a Yougo mauser within arms reach of where I type this. All I have great fun with, but also can be used for more serious business. But all have a great history behind them.

I think you voice a valid opinion, and I hope that we can provide you with the information that you seek.
Just remember this. People like fun, and with fun comes responsibility. Racing cars, Flying planes, Skydiving, and shooting firearms all require responsibility. Some exude more danger to others, but none the less they all require responsibility. Yall Stay safe, just be responsible.

I think it falls into the old biker saying: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

I have a lot of kkuks, certainly more than enough to behead all of the gophers I will ever encounter. Anyone who a) does not have some kind of collecting bug themselves, b) tries to understand intellectually, and c) doesn't have an open mind (which, in my experience, is most of the reason that the question is asked in the first place), is doomed to failure as far as getting a satisfactory answer is concered.

As Dean would say: JMO

i should be careful writing this as i'm tired and will probably say something dumb but here goes.

i myself do not own a gun. yet if i did, i could see myself stockpiling a somewhat generous amount of ammunition. i don't live in fear of society falling into a post apocolyptic (sp) era, nor do i fear the Cdn gov't going 1984 on me.

yet there is a part in all of us... maybe not all, but most, who just crave excess. yes, guns are a serious matter. yet it seems that gun ownership, despite the "scary" implications, becomes a collectors hobby.

would you be alarmed if you found several hundred arrows in my closet next to several bows and targets?

do i need 20-200 khukuries?

it's also important to not try and "psychologize" everything. i understand that at first, some of my friends saw my sword collecting hobbies as a "power trip". but it's not that. okay, maybe a small part in all of us feel that way, but that's no surprise. whether it's a gun, a sword, a car, Armani suits, we as men tend to do these things. hey, it comes with the gender territory, don't deny it, even the most humble of us men do it. i know we are talking about guns here. but when it becomes a hobby, a skill, a collection, no matter what the item, whether it's a gun or stamps, they no longer become strickly objects, but items with emotional value.

at the end of the day sir. i would fear a bi-polar psycho with only 2 bullets than a dedicated, yet responsible gun collector/owner with 10000 bullets.

never prosecute the innocent to punish the guilty. don't judge the group by the actions of a bad few. and above all...

DON'T KNOCK IT, UNTIL YOU'VE TRIED IT!

:D :D :D

Cabbot;

You asked a fair question.

It's not my responsibility what other people think. This includes Psychologists and Sheep farmers. The racist connection and even the paranoid one are not supported by the facts; which are that the majority of people having weapon and ammo stockpiled, defined by you as number X, are law abiding.

You asked what for and why? -The weapons and amount of ammo unless we were planning on starting something. Go back to the first part of my post.

The Mormons stock pile as a tenet of religious conviction, and I share that in the sense that being prepared is a good and Godly thing to do. A Boyscout thing to do.

Gun Law just gets worse, and that inspires making a buttress against the future.

During the LA riots a notorious gun ban voter called a friend of mine and asked him to arm the household. He refused. But there's a point for you.

The only reason I don't have more ammunition is because of cost. But I'd love to have thousands of rounds present and accounted for.
There is nothing like a day of rigorous shooting in the Desert.

Finally, you should know the Second Amendment is not about 'sporting usefulness'; it is about being able to reassert the Bill Of Rights if neccesary from a Government gone bad. It is also about protecting the shores, community and household.

It's just a, 'win win' Cabbot.

And it's not so grim, either. All the folks I know are FRIENDLY PEOPLE, not bunker dwellers. Get the Hollywood out of your head!

It really is OK.

munk

Thomas Linton said:
Tell me who has the hi-cap mags and I'll tell you how much that scares me - if at all.

Dave Hahn said:
at the end of the day sir. i would fear a bi-polar psycho with only 2 bullets than a dedicated, yet responsible gun collector/owner with 10000 bullets.

Excellent points, gentlemen!

I really like these!

munk said:
Cabbot;

You asked a fair question.

It's not my responsibility what other people think. This includes Psychologists and Sheep farmers. The racist connection and even the paranoid one are not supported by the facts; which are that the majority of people having weapon and ammo stockpiled, defined by you as number X, are law abiding.

You asked what for and why? -The weapons and amount of ammo unless we were planning on starting something. Go back to the first part of my post.

The Mormons stock pile as a tenet of religious conviction, and I share that in the sense that being prepared is a good and Godly thing to do. A Boyscout thing to do.

Gun Law just gets worse, and that inspires making a buttress against the future.

During the LA riots a notorious gun ban voter called a friend of mine and asked him to arm the household. He refused. But there's a point for you.

The only reason I don't have more ammunition is because of cost. But I'd love to have thousands of rounds present and accounted for.
There is nothing like a day of rigorous shooting in the Desert.

Finally, you should know the Second Amendment is not about 'sporting usefulness'; it is about being able to reassert the Bill Of Rights if neccesary from a Government gone bad. It is also about protecting the shores, community and household.

It's just a, 'win win' Cabbot.

And it's not so grim, either. All the folks I know are FRIENDLY PEOPLE, not bunker dwellers. Get the Hollywood out of your head!

It really is OK.

munk

Munk:

"Get the Hollywood out of your head"

dammit that's just brilliant.

Thanks. What Cabbot can't see from the Net are the smiles and gentleness of a happliy armed HI Cantina.

munk

munk said:
Thanks. What Cabbot can't see from the Net are the smiles and gentleness of a happliy armed HI Cantina.

munk

you know, here's the thing Munk. Some people, they study those who have committed horrendous crimes against humanity.

hmm... he owned several guns.
he owned 10000 rounds of ammo.
hmm... he talked about his rights to own a gun

but are these traits truly an indication of danger? well, maybe b/c he was an angry loner with abusive parents...

oh but there are plenty of those people who fit that bill and haven't committed any crimes and in fact can be the most gentlest of folks.

CABBIT!

if you think you can try and categorize and catalogue a "type" of person with even the most comprehensive of metrics, YOU CAN STILL BE WRONG. someone out there could very well surprise you and completely go against the grain.

"oh but all the psychos have shared certain characteristics and behaviours"

maybe, but there's no absolute guareentee with the extreme variability that is the human condition, to indicate that everyone who has those characteristics go on rampages.

why do we as Humans try to name and categorize everything into neat little boxes. can't we just let things be?

Welcome to the Cantina Cabbit, where we let people be. Unless your Burafan.

Dave Hahn said:
CABBIT!

if you think you can try and categorize and catalogue a "type" of person with even the most comprehensive of metrics, YOU CAN STILL BE WRONG. someone out there could very well surprise you and completely go against the grain.

"oh but all the psychos have shared certain characteristics and behaviours"

You're putting words into my mouth. I've never categorized anyone and I never said "oh but all the psychos have shared certain characteristics and behaviors".

Reread what I've written because you are mistaken.

mushigame is about 160 km north of me.
Cold and snowy and pretty.
I did go up there in may to see mt togakushi. We had sake there that came in bottles with the orange and white koi painted on the side.

Why do I seem to be ignoring the subject of this thread?
Because there was never any point to it. There was never any honest question involved. The poster just wanted to argue with someone about something. He already has his own little opinions and theories and wanted to excrete them on the cantina.
No thanks.

Actually Danny, you're the one who's trolling. If you've noticed I haven't argued anything or put forth any agenda of my own. In fact I agree with 90% of what folks are saying. Don't mistake questioning for arguing.

Cabbit, you may seem to be agreeing, but somehow it seems more like prodding, rather judgemental. Reading your posts, the title might as well be "Gun Hoarding...Why in the world would anyone in their right mind..." Just the way it looks from here, not being able to see your expressions or body language.

DrClckWrk:

My sentence was carefully worded to not read that way and does not link cause or effect to either end.

Reread what I wrote carefully and you will see what I mean.

In essence I was saying that that personality type is drawn to weapon collecting, but am not saying that all collectors exhibit those traits.

Aardvark said:
Cabbit, you may seem to be agreeing, but somehow it seems more like prodding, rather judgemental. Reading your posts, the title might as well be "Gun Hoarding...Why in the world would anyone in their right mind..." Just the way it looks from here, not being able to see your expressions or body language.

The only prodding I've been doing is to get the real reasons why people collect them. "Because I can" is not the real underlying reason.

You're certainly not going to get where you say you want to go with the attitude you're portraying.

Back