Gun Hoarding...Why

Rusty said:
...I've a degree in social work, experience with a suicide prevention - crisis call line, a thousand hour internship with Adult Parole and Probation, and lasted over 5&1/2 years in a job that had I00% turnover every 13 months. I've been threatened with a firearm for doing my job. I've also worked on the state institutional investigation team. I've been a Tribal Officer for about the same length of time, and worked in the schools on a Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Abuse grant for Early Intervention in High Risk Children...
That explains a lot, Rusty! You are probably suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Not going to read this whole thread, don't have the time or patience. SUre I have more ammo than certain people think appropriate. Do I feel a need to justify it? Not at all. No more so than I feel a need to jsutify fact I have a truck and a bike. Heck, I feel even less need to justify the guns and ammo.

I pay all my bills on time every month
I hold a full time job, which I show up to every day, don't call in sick, get the work done(considering there's two of us in a department that's supposed to have 3 people, it's a lot of work).
I take care of my friends and family, and help them when they have a need.
I've never threatened or hurt anyone with any of my guns, knives, or even rocks found on side of the road.
I don't borrow or take money from others, with the exception of things such as my bike payment and my school loans, which as mentioned above, get paid on time, every month.

That all being taken into account, don't see how it's anyone else's business what I choose to do with my extra money and free time. DOn't have the stats anymore, but pretty sure cars cause more accidental killing every year than guns do. Do you feel a need to harass people with more than one car? Would you accuse someone like Jay Leno of hoarding weapons because of his(amazing) collection of cars, trucks and bikes?

While it's true that the hoarding of weapons CAN be an indicator of neurotic paranoia, the fear and distrust of those who hoard weapons CAN also be a symptom of the same condition.

Personally I hoard 20-round magazines for my AK. They're much more practical when firing prone.

The real reason I have so many is that I love the sound they make when I open my closet door and they all come tumbling out in a big pile.

I think I'll go join Danny on that mountain now.

I know better than this, truly I do...that being said:

First, my congratulations on the tenor of the discussion and the measured responses of all the participants.

Second, although this really isn't the place to posit such a question, most certainly there have been enough posts about guns, mags, and hunting/shooting to allow for a reasonable discussion in the Cantina.

Third, it is hard NOT to respond with some passion to a question which has historically been offered by people with agendas and pre-conceived answers.

Fourth, in a sense, all the rational and thoughtful responses notwithstanding the answer from most individuals who collect anything they consider of interest or value is "because I like them." One might then explore the reasons for these likes or dislikes.

We give things value; it is part of our nature. In many cases, there are practical and obvious answers to the values we assign; in others, there are not. I won't run through a litany of obscure or commonplace assignments of value, but it is a part of the society of human. One might reasonably suggest that the prehistoric cave paintings in France were the result of some deranged creature who wanted to have more power over others and so invoked the spirits of the animals.

One might suggest that politicians want power and control, or that some police do, or teachers, or nurses and doctors....all viable arguments, but certainly none universally true...or perhaps none even generally true.

The defensive tone of responses to gun ownership--on any level--is a result of a general trend to presume that the control or removal of guns from the hands of individuals will improve our society by removing a threat. Recent laws have been ludicrious, being more directed at the fashion of the gun, rather than the function...but still enough to prompt a threatened response from a large, and socially active, segment of our society.

So? Dunno. I find it unlikely that those who don't understand, WILL understand. I know that all the hunters I hunt with hate causing pain, but have no problem with causing death. An implicit contradiction? Perhaps, but "consistency is the hob-goblin of a small mind." (Samuel Johnson?) We are inconsistent creatures, for all our lofty pretense of rationality.

Whether your initial inquiry was deliberately, or unconsciously, provocative, you may have asked it in the wrong forum. The Cantina is generally populated by thoughtful, respectful folk who move past their first emotional response, and weigh the answer they offer with a real desire to provide information, if not education.

Without denigrating your inquiry, you might well have asked why folks collected Beanie Babies. The response would most like be: I find that they have value to me.

Be well and safe,

sarge said:
Yvsa - Please tell me about your Marlin 357 Carbine.
Sarge you have mail. I didn't want to take the thread off course.:)

Cabbot wanted to know something, and he brought his own pre- conceptions to the table. What's wrong with that? Isn't it OK if he asks a question? This is learning, right?

Besides which, I wrote a great response late at night, and only Hahn and I noticed it. Geeesssh. What do I have to do around here? Furthermore, it was so independent, so non enabling, so non codependent I should have recieved a medal from all you former social serice types...but noooooo.

Cabbot, Ardvark is right with your attitude or preconceptions being the, 'what in earth would anyone want to do that for?" I'm just glad you felt comfortable enough to ask and hope you've changed your mind a little.

Rusty and Raghorn- you are disgraceful wackoos and I hope to have as many mags and ammo soon so I can join you.

munk

I get nervous when I see countries passing and keeping on the books thousands and thousands of laws. Why would any sane country need so many laws? Countries who have so many laws often have a history of going nuts and killing large numbers of their own people... :grumpy:

:eek:

Tom :D

We hope much of the insane bureacratic behavior is in lieu of killing.

munk

sarge said:
Yvsa - Please tell me about your Marlin 357 Carbine. I'm thinking about buying a Marlin, Winchester or Rossi in that Caliber to go along with a 357 Pistol. Likes, Dislikes, shortcoming's. I'm primarily thinking of this as being a plinker, target practice fun gun not for hunting. I can buy the Marlin 30-30 at Wal-Mart for a significant savings but didn't want to add an additional caliber to my collection. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sarge, I'm not Yvsa, but check out Big 5 Sporting Goods. They occasionally have the Marlin Levers in various caliber on Sale. $299 was the last one. I have a Win 94 .357 Trapper Gun, I picked up a couple of months ago. Figured for my purposes it would save packing various calibers of ammo. UNFORTUNATELY, I have yet to get the opportunity to fire it. From various reports I have read on the gun forums, some favor the Win, some favor the Marlin. Single Action Shooting Society members apparently favor the Marlin as it can be slicked up for very rapid firing in their competitions.

Kismet?

(sitting at the feet of the master, daring to offer a smart-a$$ remark).

"consistency is the hob-goblin of a small mind." (Samuel Johnson?) It was Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Aardvark?

You da man.

I didn't remember the entire quote.

AUTHOR: Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803–1882)

QUOTATION: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Thank you.

Ben Arown-Awile said:
That explains a lot, Rusty! You are probably suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Technically my diagnosis is not PTSD, but for all practical purposes you can figure I have the same symptoms, different diagnosis.

I joke that I used blackmail, extortion and kidnapping and would be in jail now if I hadn't been doing it on behalf of the court, and for the good of the children involved. As one mother bustered in my office after a court hearing, " Are you trying to tell me I'm an unfit mother? " My response was " That's already been determined by the court. "

One reason for larger collections regardless if its guns or Khukuri is variety

I have 88 Khukuri but only a couple of them are matching, I have several guns but they are different types autos revolvers different calibers etc…

So variety is twofold it can create a larger range in the subject of your interest and it can also cause you to remain poor.

munk said:
Cabbot wanted to know something, and he brought his own pre- conceptions to the table. What's wrong with that? Isn't it OK if he asks a question? This is learning, right?

Besides which, I wrote a great response late at night, and only Hahn and I noticed it. Geeesssh. What do I have to do around here? Furthermore, it was so independent, so non enabling, so non codependent I should have recieved a medal from all you former social serice types...but noooooo.
munk

Munk,

I noticed it and was so astounded at your utter brillance and clarity that I was late for work this morning.

I left early tonight, only worked 11 hours, and rushed home to see what I could do so that I, we, could continue to bask in your presence...

I bought you something too!

NVTech_busi0299.jpg

I've been basking quite a bit lately and find I'm sunburned...oh, you say that blush isn't from the Sun, but something called sheepishness?
Ah Shucks

munk

Three Great Lies of Wyoming:

Won the Belt buckle in a rodeo
The Ford is paid for
only trying to help the sheep climb the fence

munk

Cabbit, I hope by now you are beginning to suspect that a few Cantinista's ( like about 90% if not more ) have a disturbed sense of humor to say the least, and sometimes mix truth and fiction. Now would be a good time to ask for your leg back.

I, of course, tell the truth always. I find it much more satisfying to tell the exact truth in such a manner that you'll never believe it. If you have ever spent time with NDN medicine men, there is a reason why they have such a debased sense of humor - they get it from the Great Spirit ( or whatever they call him ).

You may want to try to separate truth from fantasy. I don't advise it, but try away if you must. If you've never heard the saying that liars tell more truth than truthsayers, consider this: " The simplest lie is to tell the truth ".

Now it's time to take my medication.

To quote a t-shirt seen the other day:

People like you
are the reason
people like me
need medication

Think it over.

Back