Gun Hoarding...Why

I don't understand Oh Great Rusty.

You lost me again.

I'll find someplace to sit and ponder it.

Sheep!?!?!
I dont know nothing about no sheep!
I'm a married man, for gods sake!

(If you have any video, I will pay whatever you ask, lets just keep this between us ok)

Thanks munk, Rusty, Yvsa, Ben-Arown and the others who answered my questions without hostility.

The main reason why I asked these questions is because I'm thinking about becoming a first-time gun owner.

The area where I live (NJ) is about as anti-gun as you can get in the US and it isn't easy, both in license aquisition and the social consequences.

sheep.gif
sheep.gif
sheep.gif
sheep.gif

Hey no charge Danny! ...sweet dreams :D

If you keep your mouth shut among your acquaintances ( you may have to revise your concept of friendship ) there should be no social consequences.

Find a range, indoors or out, and look for introductory pistol courses. NRA versions are subject to countrywide standards and should not be highly expensive.

I'd recommend a double action 22 l.r. revolver. Go the "The High Road forum " and check out Jim March's sticky in the revolver forum on how to check out a used revolver. " The Firing Line " is back from a couple year hiatus so check it aout as well.

I just picked up a Charter Arms Pathfinder for $150. I'd put a Colt on layaway a month before, came back to pick it up, and while the dealer was finishing the paperwork on the other, spotted the 3" 22. So when the dealer came back with the paperwork on the other gun I pulled out a credit card and put the 22 on my credit card.

Nevada has no waiting period, and having gone thru the process of getting a CCW permit I didn't have to go thru the NCIC/Brady check. So it took me 10 or 12 minutes to walk out with 2 guns instead of 5 or 6 minutes for I gun.

One thing you have to understand about the south and west is that many of the foolish east coat states have limited handgun purchases to no more than one per month. The fundamental difference between the east and the south and western states is that you wring your hands at going thru the process again in a few months. Westerners and Southerners look at the one gun a month rule and go " Damn - how am I gonna come up with money to buy a new gun every month?"

Will add more in the morning.

You dont have a clue how **** is situation in lands where guns are banned. Where the knives are banned. Like in UK. Anything over 3,5 cm blade is considered weapon and banned for carrying. The definition pass on kitchenknife an screwdriver. Anybody can be criminalised having almost anything. Way to criminalise citisen is way to control people.
You can take clean law abidding citizes and stick him into jail simply making the rules which are not acceptable anymore.

In my land you have to get special permission for firearms and theoretically you have no problem to get it, but the truth is that firearms are for enthusiasist, which pass the process and for criminalls, which simply buy them on street and dont care.

First off, best of luck with your purchase Cabbit. I'll try to shed a little light on your initial question as well. Personally I fail to see why you would consider someone who has a large supply of guns and ammunition dangerous for that sole reason. Intent is everything. Timothy McVeigh killed far more people with fertilizer, racing fuel and a large truck than someone with "50+ thirty-round magazines ready to go" could ever manage. I also fail to see any relation between weapon collection and racism or paranioa. One man's idea of paranioa is another's idea of being prepared. I carry a pocketknife every day of the year, whether I'm going on a deer hunt or just putting in another day at the office. A lot of people think that makes me a dangerous individual and constantly make cracks about "going postal". Guess who is the first person they come to when a piece of string needs cut though? I can only speak for myself, but for me personally having a supply of anything; weapons, ammunition, food, etc.; is simply my way of being prepared for whatever comes down the pike, up to and including the complete collapse of civlization. Do I think it's likely; no. Do I think it's possible; yes. I hurt no one in being prepared for this or any other event, and neither does any other responsible weapon owner. The key word is responsible. Dave Hahn put it perfectly earlier in this thread:

at the end of the day sir. i would fear a bi-polar psycho with only 2 bullets than a dedicated, yet responsible gun collector/owner with 10000 bullets.

Which brings me full circle to intent is everything. That's the best way I know to explain my reasons behind my collection.

Cabbot,

I didn't own my first firearm until I was 32 or so. I was a liberal, raised by liberals, and found intoxicated at a liberal college.

I studied the issue- Why, I don't remember- and found the mass of untruths wrapped around firearms. The more I dug the more I uncovered, until, literally, my entire political landscape changed. I realized my goals were the same- people should have food, should not be injured, have free speech and not be tormented because of any variety of social and genetic circumstances, but the MEANS to reaching these goals were better served by a conservative agenda.

Firearms not only taught me self reliance and responsibility, but changed my politics forever. Though of course an inanimate object does nothing by itself, it is intrinsic to the ownership of these particular objects that knowledge is forthcoming.

In many ways, the firearm personafies the Bill of Rights.

munk

Cabbit said:
The main reason why I asked these questions is because I'm thinking about becoming a first-time gun owner.
Great!!!:cool: Another good reason to have a collection of different guns besides those already listed is that by buying a particular gun now you have insured that you will most likely still have it later.
(I think the only guns that became illegal by law for everyone, that didn't have or get a license for them, are the machine guns and sawed off shotguns from an earlier era?)
Many of the guns on the Assault Weapon Ban were legitimate guns for hunting or other sports, but if you already had one you could legally keep it.
IMO it's a crying damned shame that so many people will never know the self satisfaction and self esteem boost of putting a 3/4" long pea sized projectile into a bullseye 200 yards downrange!!!!

Projection
Attributing one's thoughts or impulses to another person. In common use, this is limited to unacceptable or undesirable impulses.

This is commonly seen by many who would deny the right to have weapons to others. They often follow such statements with, "if I had x I know I'd hurt someone..." The assumption is made that, since the speaker lacks control, so must everyone else.

John

Cabbit said:
A few recent posts on this forum have got me wondering why exactly someone feels they need a gazzillion assault rifle clips that hold literally enough ammo to wipe out a small town. I honestly can't think of any practical reason- ie hunting, self defence, etc.

First off, there is no such thing as an assault rifle. This is just some term dreamed up by gun haters. What's next? Assault pants?

I have been buying more guns/mags recently because I know that it only takes one ignorant politician with an agenda to make them all illegal. This may be the only time in my life when I can legally purchase certain mags and guns.

No one needs a reason to purchase guns or mags; it is a basic right so long as you are a law abiding citizen.

There definately are assault rifles, but they are not what the Kennedy's, Schumakers etc of the world think they are. A semi-auto black rifle is not an assault rifle. Heckler and Kock make some wonderful assault rifles, but these are full auto firearms made for a military application.

There is indeed such a thing as an assault rifle. It is a weapon with full and semi-automatic capability that fires an intermediate level cartridge. (Examples in this category would be the .223 (5.56x45mm) and 7.62x39mm cartridges.) The first assault rifle was appropriately enough made by the Russians in 1916, and it fired the fairly weak Japanese 6.5mm rifle round.

Assault weapons on the other hand...There is one assault weapon in US military inventory, the SHOULDER-LAUNCHED MULTI-PURPOSE ASSAULT WEAPON (SMAW)- a rocket. There is no technical designation for what constitutes an "assault weapon".

A fairly good article on the subject, by Anthony Williams, is found here.

John

Thanks for the links. I'm heading out the door, but will read them when I get back.

I understand that some people do consider certain firearms assault rifles. I own an AR15 (5.56x45mm) and an SKS (7.62x39mm). Both of these are fantasic guns. The AR15 is a blast to shoot and would make a great varmint gun. The SKS is used by a lot of guys as a cheap deer rifle. The only thing I have ever done with either is target shoot. I don't really see these as assault weapons because they are extremely functional as non-combative guns. A grenade or rocket launcher on the other hand, doesn't really have any value other than to kill or injure. I can see such items being refered to as assault weapons. I think that it is what you do with the weapon that determines it's status.

I think that it is what you do with the weapon that determines it's status.

In some cases, that is very definitely true. A "murder weapon", for instance, can be anything used to murder. An assault rifle could also be an assault weapon, if it were used to buttstroke someone.

Neither your AR15 or SKS are assault rifles, since they do not have automatic capability (used in this sense to mean firing more than one round when the trigger is pulled).

John

Cabbit, there is one book I can recommend to provide you with information that will let you understand more than we could ever tell you.

Go to amazon.com and buy a paperback called The Truth About Self Protection by Massad Ayoob. It's currently $7.99 plus shipping costs if any. Sorry I can't provide the ISBN number. It would be worth it at ten times the price. Just try to read it with an open mind and see if it hangs together when you read it the second time. It's been around awhile and may be outdated in some areas. It's underlying truth and priciples remain, and it may have been updated.

A little reading now and paying attention will save you hundreds of dollars down the road.

munk said:
..I was found intoxicated at a liberal college...
My parents told me I was found in the cabbage patch. When I realized where I really came from I spent many years of my life trying to "find myself". I never did, but I enjoyed the search.

Ben Arown-Awile said:
My parents told me I was found in the cabbage patch. When I realized where I really came from I spent many years of my life trying to "find myself". I never did, but I enjoyed the search.
Yea, a man spends 9 months trying to get out and the rest of his life trying to get back in.:D :grumpy: :D ;)

Back