H.I. Skean Dhu?

Bill Martino said:
Length and weight?
These are light, maybe 2-3 oz. OAL=7" to center of pommel. Blade length=3 3/4". Blade width=7/8". Thickness at spine=1/8" or slightly less (2 mm). The fluting is staggered, for a wavy appearance, looking at the top of the spine. If you'd like Uncle Bill, I'll take some better shots tomorrow and send them as e-mail attachments. The blade isn't black, it's the lighting. I didn't want the detail washed out by glare. Interesting to think I could end up getting a Nepalese made Scottish knife with a Minnesota White Tail deer antler I sent to Uncle Bill.

When I try to bring up Jim's attachment I get a notice that I'm not allowed to access the page due to my classification. Anyone else getting that? I've never had problems accessing jpgs before?:(

Who knows with "ePray". Armpit knife sounds scary. Sounds like you'd need a deodorizer/lubricant (maybe Ballistol). Which might come in handy for a Skean Dhu, since it goes in your boot...

I would be interested in a HI version also.

Been wanting a Dhu. However, don't like the looks of the Cold Steel (too modern) and don't trust so many of the others I have seen.

Would want something that looks nice yet is still a quality useable blade.

Wow, Rocky, you might work as an archaeologist- this is my first thread from Aug. '04. Great input from Kis, DIJ, Jake and others... Bill's there too.

And I still don't have a Skean Dubh. 'Bout a million khukuris, though.

Ad Astra

I certainly love the one Sarge sent me. His work is light years beyond what I had expected. I would like an HI version too.

What a timely necro-thread.

While there might be one or two sparsely attended khukuri conventions a year in the US, every major city has highland games, complete with guys (like me) wearing skirts and shoving knives in their socks. This is a large new potential customer base for HI, especially if they could produce quality dirks and sgain dubh at reasonable prices. (And I think they could.)

There is a company in the UK doing this. I don't know anything about them other than what I saw on their website, but they seem honorable.
http://www.sgiandubh.biz/
HI might use a similar approach in the US. I suspect that once the word got out in the Scottish Games communities that sales would take off.

Why not make a plain as dirt Skean Dhu so it's easy on the Kami's and have it so one of knife making guys does the decorations? clan badges;engraving etc.? That might work.

Sorry about the old thread resurection. I'm a newbie and couldn't figure out how to start a new threat. Thanks for the humor and not giving me too hard of a time. By the way, when I click on Sarge's link I get a site with a pic of a cartoon fish. Anyone have his link? I would love to check out his work.

RockyNomad said:
Sorry about the old thread resurection. I'm a newbie and couldn't figure out how to start a new threat. Thanks for the humor and not giving me too hard of a time. By the way, when I click on Sarge's link I get a site with a pic of a cartoon fish. Anyone have his link? I would love to check out his work.

Here's one I'm working on for that "wee highland laddie" Steve Ferguson.:D

attachment.php

By the way Steve, had absolute fits getting your clan crest in, but it's here now. Tried figuring out a way to mount it on the handle that wouldn't screw up aesthetics/ergonomics (high falootin' words for an old country boy), but couldn't settle on anything that wouldn't detract from the knife's usability (I will not make a knife that ain't meant to be used). So, the family Ferguson crest will be attached to the front of the scabbard instead. I'll sort that out here shortly and have it off to you along with some "bonus blades". Learned that bit from my friend Ragnar, anytime I order something from Ragweed Forge, he tosses in something I wasn't expecting, has been for nigh on ten years now. I open his packages like a kid does a box of Cracker Jacks, looking for the surprise inside. You'll be the same way when my package arrives, but caution lad, there's sharp stuff in there. ;)

Sarge

In pic below, top knife is from England, bottom knife from Scotland, middle three are my homemade stuff. The one dead center is the one Andy's got now. Cut yer thumb with that little devil yet Andy?

attachment.php

No, I'm still safe. I like to look at it and marvel at your distal tapering skills. I have used it here at work on occasion, and I like to alternate between squeezing it and my HI Sarge when my boss is being an ass. That's pretty much all the time too. Which one should I stab him with.

aproy1101 said:
Which one should I stab him with.

Neither, both got your "name" on them. Go to a flea market where sales records are seldom kept and get a rusty old philips screwdriver. Take it home, and wearing gloves clean it thoroughly with alcohol, and from then on handle it only with gloves on. In a "quiet moment", and wearing your gloves, slam the screwdriver right into his left eye, and "go through the gears". Leave the screwdriver there, it's not traceable, and burn the gloves completely, along with whatever clothes you were wearing. Sprinkle the ashes carefully out the window of a moving vehicle, on a secluded road at night where you won't be observed. Now get a grip, ol' Sarge is just pulling your leg, had you going though huh? Now that I'm not in my former profession, I wouldn't harm a single living thing except in self defense, or by way of "harvesting" legal game animals I intend to eat . :p :rolleyes: :D

Sarge

I am on a strict diet . Stop making me drool ! L:O:L I would definitely be interested . As long as it was a fairly period piece . I love functional art . They are definitely nice to look at . I still have my heart set on a sirupati first .

Sylvrfalcn said:
Neither, both got your "name" on them. Go to a flea market where sales records are seldom kept and get a rusty old philips screwdriver. Take it home, and wearing gloves clean it thoroughly with alcohol, and from then on handle it only with gloves on. In a "quiet moment", and wearing your gloves, slam the screwdriver right into his left eye, and "go through the gears". Leave the screwdriver there, it's not traceable, and burn the gloves completely, along with whatever clothes you were wearing. Sprinkle the ashes carefully out the window of a moving vehicle, on a secluded road at night where you won't be observed. Now get a grip, ol' Sarge is just pulling your leg, had you going though huh? Now that I'm not in my former profession, I wouldn't harm a single living thing except in self defense, or by way of "harvesting" legal game animals I intend to eat . :p :rolleyes: :D

Sarge

safety first!
don't forget to wear goggles and a paper dust mask over your mouth! bodily fluids in the eyes or mouth can ruin your whole day. last thing you want to do is have him kill you back slowly with AIDS....

don't forget to tape down your ankles & wrists, wear something over your hair (pref. have a nice military haircut) shave off all facial hair & exposed hair outside the taped appendages, wear a turtle neck (one of them crime-scene paper disposable one piece coveralls designed not to contaminate the scene would be nice too), or best, also have a full body wax & shave your head, don't forget eyebrows and eyelashes have dna too. leave behind any hairs and you are in deep doo-doo. have a good shower afterwards and then sit back & enjoy your day. don't forget to throw shoes on fire also.....

Back