H.I. Skean Dhu?

Man. This starts with "Wish I Had A Skean Dubh", ends with "How To Get Away With A Killing."

My poor thread has become a Zombie. Glad it didn't reappear at Halloween.

Ad Astra :(

i do not have any great intent to improve my skills in removing unwanted humans, if i do need to remove one, it will be out front & personal & as legal as possible while still ensureing my survival. unless they hurt my family, then all bets are off, i'll get them however i can. i am a very patient person & can wait until the time is right......anyway, the thread veer had already started, i just helped keep it going till we could get more on track.

however, to sort of steer us back on thread, i'm kinda fond of this sgian duhb, cheap, classy & from a real knife maker. stainless, £19.00 ($33)

sgianwithrosewood.jpg

from sheffield knives website, if you call them to order you get a nice lady who is very helpfull, i think she does the selection, packaging & posting all herself & answers questions on the stock. they also do scottish carbon steel dirks, fancier stag sgian's, sailors knives (in carbon & stainless) and a lot of other fairly cheap working knives....as well as some expensive ones.

Kronc, got a link to the website. That's a good deal.;)

You guys scare me sometimes. I think Kismet is one strange mixture of compasionate covert assassin. He's got the extra social security numbers and a numbered outline for erradication of unfortunate bosses. Man my boss is glad to hear I don't have an ailias SOC #!!!

Sylvrfalcn said:
Here's one I'm working on for that "wee highland laddie" Steve Ferguson.:D
By the way Steve, had absolute fits getting your clan crest in, but it's here now. Tried figuring out a way to mount it on the handle that wouldn't screw up aesthetics/ergonomics (high falootin' words for an old country boy), but couldn't settle on anything that wouldn't detract from the knife's usability (I will not make a knife that ain't meant to be used). So, the family Ferguson crest will be attached to the front of the scabbard instead. I'll sort that out here shortly and have it off to you along with some "bonus blades". Learned that bit from my friend Ragnar, anytime I order something from Ragweed Forge, he tosses in something I wasn't expecting, has been for nigh on ten years now. I open his packages like a kid does a box of Cracker Jacks, looking for the surprise inside. You'll be the same way when my package arrives, but caution lad, there's sharp stuff in there. ;)

Sarge

Never in my history of collecting knives has a package been so eagerly anticipated.:D I've got a wall o' khuks and swords, customs by Hossom, Voorhis, Tomey, and others, but this one will be with me from now on. When I walk west (hopefully many, many years from now) it will go with me, stuck in my waistband.

But don't rush it, I'm in no hurry. :p :rolleyes:

Steve

Well gang we might get our wish for an HI Sgian Dubh if Miss Yangdu will okay the Rusty 200K knife.
Our very own Sarge has consented to do the model if Yangdu okays it!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Time will tell. This will be a pre-paid model so HI will know how many to make.

Astro, I'll post specs and pics of some proposed prototypes as soon as I get the go ahead. Soon as we settle on one everybody likes, I'll make up an actual knife to send along with the wooden model, so there'll be less room for "misinterpretation".

Initially, I'm thinking a blade around 3 3/4" with a handle of similar length, but I know somebody out there is going to want a big honking sgian dubh that looks more like a sgian achlais or a small dirk. Let's see what Yangdu has to say before we start counting chickens. ;)

Sarge

p.s.: an excellent book, with numerous photos of vintage sgian dubhs, is "The Scottish Dirk" by James D. Forman, you can bet I'm about to go knock the dust off my copy.:D

I'm in. I'll take two even. Just tell me where to sign...or prepay...or whatever.

Second you Andy.

Thanks Sarge ! Shall we have any sort of engravings ? A litte mark to commemorate this event ?

At the beginning of the thread, I wish for an HI Skean Dubh; Rusty comments on it and Kis and Mamav ask about Sarge...

Now a Skean Dubh- named for Rusty- is being designed by Sarge and looking like a reality... and dang, I have to get 3 or eat my posted words (i'll get three.)

Funny, interesting, and it all has to do with khukuris.

Mike :eek: :thumbup:

Be really neat, but would create more problems than H.I. needs, and can't be done on a practical level...

that being said, how cool would it be to use Rusty's avatar as the crest?

Anyone do enameling work?

Kis, I'm tinkering with sgian dubh design even as we speak. Made one up last night, file steel blade, Macassar ebony handle, not finished but enough to confirm a hunch. I'm looking for a functional handle design that would be easy for the kamis to reproduce, and this one may be the answer.

The handle is roughly trapezoidal in overall shape, very slightly wider than the blade at the blade handle juncture, and gently tapering in width and thickness back toward the handle termination. What this results in is a simple, straightforward, handle, that's comfortable in use due to it's ovoid cross section and "double taper". In a thrust, the handle acts as a wedge, tightening the grip and thus preventing the hand from slipping. This is not conjecture, I've tested it by repeatedly stabbing a pine two by four with this unfinished knife, with good result. Not so much as a scratch on my hand, but the 2 x 4 suffered "wounds" averaging around a half inch or more in depth.

Bonus feature of this simple handle design, lots of fairly flat surface area that would lend itself well to carving, insets, pins, or other embellishment.

More to come, along with pics, but right now I'm off to the Gun Show and the good old Dog and Duck Pub. :D

Sarge

This sounds like a great idea. I would be in for a couple. Regular horn would look traditional on these also, antler would be awesome too!:D
Sarge, the ones that I have seen in your pictures that you have made look great!

Gang the Rusty Sgian Dubh would be best handled with a good hard wood. I know that the antler would be awesome and this isn't saying there won't be any made, damned kamis anyway :grumpy: :eek:, but when doing a special run the more everything is kept to the KISS principle the better.
We all know the kamis are capable of some great carving and other forms of embellishment as well.
If Sarge can reflect some of that on his model maybe the kamis will take the hint.:thumbup: :D :cool:

I agree with Yvsa, The design will be much easier to get off the ground if it is kept simple, like the Seax.

cheers,
--Dave

Astro?

They can, but will they?

Yvsa is correct.

Best to make it a simple, elegant design.

Individuals can modify as they wish after purchasing.

Back