H.I. Skean Dhu?

Sarge?

I am SO GLAD you took this on!

You will give it meaning, soul, and purpose. I can think of no one who would contribute more to the project.

Thank you very much.

Be well and safe.

Sarge , great looking !! Which handle is most comfortable in your opinion ?

And thanks for all the work. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Kis, I feel I owe all of y'all nothing less than my dead level best on this. Knowing this knife project is in honor of good old Rusty gives it special significance to me, I want a knife he'd be proud of, a knife that folks will be proud to carry. If it sounds like I'm being terribly serious, it's because I am. Taking on this project is a true honor, and a true privilege, I'm very much in Yvsa's debt for giving me this opportunity. I won't let y'all down.

Sarge

Double WoW!!!! Great work Sarge and I can already tell you my favorite of the three and that is the last one in the que, the traditional Thistle Shape Sgian Dubh!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

Bringing the pic over on this side for folks who have their pages set to maximum threads. For me this is the third post down on page 3 but if most folks don't have their pages set for the maximum posts, 40 I think, it may be page 5,6, or maybe 7.;)

attachment.php

Astrodada said:
Sarge , great looking !! Which handle is most comfortable in your opinion ?

And thanks for all the work. :)

Astro, the bottom one gets the nod for looks, but the middle one feels better in the hand, and may be easier for the kamis to get right. The top one is a straightforward and practical design, but it just doesn't have "the look" I think we want.

Understand these are just rough blanks you're looking at. They will undergo considerable further refinement, and we'll reevaluate then.

Sarge

Outstanding start Sarge. I'll go with your pick on either of the bottom two.

Thank you.:thumbup:

Steve

Nice work Sarge. In this situation everyone wins. You are honored for the opportunity, and we are honored to have you doing the work. Your experience in making these blades is prooven, and we are lucky to have you on the job. I am glad to be able to get a couple of these. One of them is going to my dad. He'll love it.

Sylvrfalcn said:
Astro, the bottom one gets the nod for looks, but the middle one feels better in the hand, and may be easier for the kamis to get right. The top one is a straightforward and practical design, but it just doesn't have "the look" I think we want.
Sarge

Thanks so much for gifting us some of your time and skill, Sarge. I know your favorite dish is humble pie, but this takes work and time. You and your work are appreciated.
That would have been my guess:) I like the looks of the third one, but the middle one would be a little more kami-proof. Really any of them would be fone with me:) I carried a Cold Steel version in my boot for about a year before the chain broke and my boots were starting to wear out. Now I have new boots. Time for a new boot knife. I can't think of a better piece to carry than one designed by Sarge, in memory of Rusty, cleared by Yangdu, and cheer on by all the good folks of the Cantina:thumbup:

Jake

Very nice work, Sarge! I agree with others that the middle design looks like the one to go with. The handle is pretty nice looking, yet should fit alot of hand sizes.

DaddyDett

You guys could give a feller a swelled head.:eek: :D I'll get the models finished today (basswood carves so unbelievably sweet compared to the woods I usually find myself working with), and tomorrow I'll grind the blade for the "working model".

Guys, we still need to discuss blade markings, as those will have much to do with the finished knife's character. You've already heard my suggestion, initials "R.S." over the inscription "200K", but y'all must surely have other ideas.

Another thing to consider is fuller or no fuller. There was a time when I thought all real sgian dubhs had a "blood groove" (pardon my phraseology), but my research has shown me different. I've seen lots of sgian dubhs without them, with some of the finest examples being made by Wilkinson Sword of London, back around the turn of the 20th century. Skipping the fuller left them more room to etch the blades with devices depicting the various campaigns and battle honors of the military unit they were making the knives for. A practical consideration for us as well. So guys, to fuller, or not to fuller, that is the question. My personal preference would be to have the Devangari script "H.I." just below the spine jimping, and that's where a fuller would normally go, read that, my vote = no fuller.

Sarge

I agree. No fuller is my vote. As long as it has the jimping on the spine, then I'll be happy:) I like the R.S. over the 200K idea as well, but I'm open to anything. All these special runs are gonna drain my bank account...i love it:D

Jake

R.S.

No fuller, but jimping

H.I. on opposite side in Devangari

Traditional Sgain dhu sheath (but maybe...just maybe...a belt loop?)

Less is more.

Somewhere, Rusty is grinning.

I feel unqualified to take part in selection of the markings. I like the suggestions and would be honored to own a Rusty commemorative knife. I sure wish I had known him. You guys that did should choose this, as he was your friend. I will, of course, happily accept whatever standard you choose.

A simple sheath offers some really cool carry options, I carry some of mine with a velcro strip glued to the back of the sheath and another strip sewn into a jacket sleeve in a traditional armpit carry, can make for a stinky knife, though ;) . Great for quick access and hidden carry

All this is great. Sarge, many thanks.

I'm not qualified to even comment, but one thing I hate is cheap knives. Especially skean dubh's with a fake plastic gem. :barf: :barf: :barf:

This quality piece, designed for us, will be the bomb of lil' boot knives. And the idea about Rusty's avatar is interesting.... maybe a butt flat could be designed in to stick a real semi-precious clan stone, if somebody wanted to.... no... like etching, that could be done later. Just thinking out loud.

I guess they can be clan/personalized by those who get 'em

Mike

Yup, I agree. No fuller, definitely Jimping!:thumbup: :D :cool: I would like to see "Rusty Slate 200K" on the blade if there's enough room.

I told Yangdu that I would like to see these come in with an edge hardened the full length and very sharp. :D
We'll see what the kamis do.:confused:

Folks, here's a suggestion for the sheath design. Pictured is one of my old ebony handled "utility" sgian dubhs. The half moon extension on the sheath is an idea I borrowed from the sheath of a gaucho knife, difference being it's got a couple of holes punched in it. This rig works well, the half moon flap helps protect your calf when resheathing the blade, and provides an attachment point for a belt loop, et cetera. You can even hang it from a cord and wear it as a neck knife. What y'all think?

attachment.php

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 84
I like the stitching . It reminds me of a half x stich . What do you think if the half moon was the same color and finish as the sheath proper ?

I like it, Sarge:thumbup: I can see length of leather cord strapping that to the inside of my boot loop.

Jake

Back