H.I. Skean Dhu?

Kevin the grey said:
I like the stitching . It reminds me of a half x stich . What do you think if the half moon was the same color and finish as the sheath proper ?

The sample sheath I intend to make will be solid dark brown with dark brown, non-contrasting stitching. The one pictured is a little scruffy from much use, but it was the only one in that style I had laying around for a photo.

Sarge

Great sheath, looks very functional/comfortable. That half moon extension is cool. No wooden liner or brass chape, I hope :)
--Dave

ferguson said:
Outstanding start Sarge. I'll go with your pick on either of the bottom two.

Thank you.:thumbup:

Steve

Exactly what I was going to say! I look the looks of #3, but knowing what I know about handles am sure that #2 would feel better overall. Your call Sarge.

Thanks again for taking this on.:thumbup:

Norm

Kismet said:
R.S.

No fuller, but jimping

H.I. on opposite side in Devangari

Traditional Sgain dhu sheath (but maybe...just maybe...a belt loop?)

Less is more.

Somewhere, Rusty is grinning.

You nailed it Kis!

For what my opinion is worth, I liked the look of handle #2 best. I think it also might work out better in terms of 'one size fits all hands'.

Seeing the discussion about the design of this knife is really interesting. I'm glad to be here reading about it as it happens. As for Rusty himself, I never knew him, but what is said about a man in his absence is most telling of all.

I think this is a very nice gesture, which anyone could appreciate. :thumbup:

Another teaser by way of reporting progress. No guys, that's not a knife you're looking at, it actually is the finished wooden model of handle style #2. Since the blades are all the same, I'll grind one of those tomorrow, and try to finish up the model for the thistle shape #3 handle. Got to briefly pause progress tomorrow evening so I can teach a woodworking class of all silly things. ;)

attachment.php

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 131.jpg
    Picture 131.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 123
number 2 is looking better and better...#3 is pretty, but no.2 looks more functional, IMHO.

cheers,
--Dave

I have to admit number three is a neat shape .

As a separate issue doesn,t a thistle have a textured surface ? Perhaps some cross hatching on the rounded inner section would be neat and functional as well .

Sarge, you do good work.

I'd like to see at least a few of these come through with no markings at all on the blade. Perhaps we can get some of each. In my head I know who it's dedicated to.

Howard Wallace said:
Sarge, you do good work.

I'd like to see at least a few of these come through with no markings at all on the blade. Perhaps we can get some of each. In my head I know who it's dedicated to.

Thanks Howard, that's actually a great idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt likewise. From a practical perspective, it would save the kamis much time and effort, and from an aesthetic angle, an unmarked knife would present a "blank canvas" for the owner to personalize to suit his/her tastes. And I don't think the kamis, or anybody else, would be too much put out if it's clear we'd be willing to pay the same price, with or without markings. Actually, truth be told, I'd buy one of each, a marked one to keep put away with my "treasures", and an unmarked one for carry/use.

Sarge

You guys are making me forget my manners and forget not to drool in public!
As is often the case I am a little out of the loop . Is this going to be a one time run , reserved purchase only or will it be a couple of times a year special offer ? Either way I,m in and have already started eyeing my malamute as a possible fur coat to trade down at the local fish and game show . No L:O:L on that one . Its been done and only a few miles from my house . ( But thats another story ! )

Kevin?

My bet is that it will be a limited, pre-paid, run initially. Then, depending on the kamis' whim, Yangdu's insistence, and the request/consumer demand, others will trickle through the H.I. system--at least for a while.

That's the way it worked with the Sarge knife, with an initial run of about 30, and ultimately, 90 or so sold to-date.

But I'm speculating.

EDIT: I absolutely LOVE the sheath innovation. Perfect.

Just want to chime in and say I want in. I'll follow this with great interest and make sure to sign up and prepay when needed.

I guess I'm just posting this so Yangdu can get an idea of numbers. :D

Kismet said:
Kevin?

My bet is that it will be a limited, pre-paid, run initially. Then, depending on the kamis' whim, Yangdu's insistence, and the request/consumer demand, others will trickle through the H.I. system--at least for a while.

That's the way it worked with the Sarge knife, with an initial run of about 30, and ultimately, 90 or so sold to-date.

But I'm speculating.

Well people always grabbed those Sarge knife before I can get my hands on them. :grumpy: Else they'd sold more.

Kismet said:

It might make sense to make enough sgain dubh and dirks so they can be put on the shopping site. HI regulars will buy some marketed through DOTDs. However, there is a large potential customer base that does not hang out here on the HI forum. Putting them on the website would enable word to spread to and through that community by word-of-mouth, and when they went to the HI shopping website they would find the items available to buy. I don't think that (Scottish Games) market can be effectively tapped through DOTD or special runs.

Howard Wallace said:
Putting them on the website would enable word to spread to and through that community by word-of-mouth, and when they went to the HI shopping website they would find the items available to buy. I don't think that (Scottish Games) market can be effectively tapped through DOTD or special runs.

Yup, gotta agree with Howard. And the Scots are prolific buyers when it comes to quality merchandise and especially hand made quality merchandise.:thumbup: :cool:
The Scottish Games are *BIG* here in Tulsa.
The Scottish Rites Assembly is a huge building and well attended. You'd be surprised just how many Scots/Ndns there are here!!!!:thumbup: :eek: ;) :D

Yvsa said:
Yup, gotta agree with Howard. And the Scots are prolific buyers when it comes to quality merchandise and especially hand made quality merchandise.:thumbup: :cool:
The Scottish Games are *BIG* here in Tulsa.
The Scottish Rites Assembly is a huge building and well attended. You'd be surprised just how many Scots/Ndns there are here!!!!:thumbup: :eek: ;) :D

The Scottish games are fairly big in Quebec and supposedly enormously popular in Ontario . I do not remember seeing any armament for sale at qubecs games . Course I don,t remember much after passing the refreshment tent . Guiness and scotch boilermaker anyone ? L:O:L

Still plugging along, here's two rough ground blades made from one big old bastard, uh, I mean mill bastard file. :D

These blades will finish out to; 3 3/4" long, 15/16" wide at the hilt, and 5/32" thick at the spine. Grind profile is full convex, with distal taper, and no ricasso. Man, I love making these little boogers, rough grinding both of them only took about an hour and a half total. 'Course, finish grinding, polishing, and hand cutting each notch of the jimping with a chainsaw file is where the persnickety, time consuming work is. Why'd I make two? Obviously one's going to Nepal, and the other's going in my sock, duh. ;)

attachment.php

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 147
Back