H.I. Skean Dhu?

dwatts67 said:
jmings said:
:eek: Stitch? OMG! :foot: I always though a wood scabbard for the true sgian dubh. :(
jmings said:
I have collected skein dhu's for 15 years or so and have never seen one with a leather/wood sheath. have any examples?

--Dave

Sadly, I examined a sgian dubh just a few days back that had a blade that looked like it was cut from sheet metal, and a scabbard made of injection molded black plastic. Stamped proudly on the blade was "Made in Glasgow, Scotland". It did have a rather attractive handle though. :rolleyes:

Sarge

Astrodada said:
:rolleyes: hmm...maybe an option of a full tang non-handle version ? For the skilled ....customizers ? :rolleyes:

Let's let 'em build the house before we start moving around the furniture.;) If the basic concept does well, I'm sure doors will open later for other possibilities, like an antler handle scrimshawed in Celtic knotwork, hoooweeee!

Sarge

errr...That Celtic knotwork...is a Chineses knot.....'endless knot' that means good fortune....I am no sure whether Celtic culture had the same thing. But if they have....I am happy, as all great minds think alike. :)

Yes I agree with the house part ! Build the great knife and we can worry bout the rest ! :)

Astrodada said:
errr...That Celtic knotwork...is a Chineses knot.....'endless knot' that means good fortune....I am no sure whether Celtic culture had the same thing. But if they have....I am happy, as all great minds think alike. :)

Yes I agree with the house part ! Build the great knife and we can worry bout the rest ! :)

I wasn't referring to the recent M-43's embellishments, had something quite different in mind.
krn2.jpg

Everytime I look at Jake Powning's work, I need a bib to catch the drool. :cool:

Sarge

Astrodada said:

I think you're onto something, Astro. Doing a quick google this is what I came up with:
" The Celtic Knot is one of the best known motifs in Celtic jewelry and art. The delicate twists and turns are found in ancient stone art and tattoos, in illuminated manuscripts- in fact, just about anywhere the Celtic people have travelled. Similar designs exist in Norse culture, and as far as China."

Jake

I,m just empassioned by this knife . I,m glad it will have a partial tang . I,m not that fussy for period authenticity though it is important . I think a full tang would just make it a different knife . I,m glad you are being patient with our wistful wishing . I,m learning to shave wood and this may be my star attraction .

Steely_Gunz said:
I think you're onto something, Astro. Doing a quick google this is what I came up with:
" The Celtic Knot is one of the best known motifs in Celtic jewelry and art. The delicate twists and turns are found in ancient stone art and tattoos, in illuminated manuscripts- in fact, just about anywhere the Celtic people have travelled. Similar designs exist in Norse culture, and as far as China."

Jake

Jake... the endless knot is one of the great 8 symbols....of buddhism....

Very nice work Sarge, very nice indeed!!!!
A *Seven Thumbs* Up for you!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :cool:

Kevin the grey said:
I couldn,t even use full size klein pliers for my job . I had to settle for the 9 inch version .

Kevin, what do you do for a living? The reason I ask is the above comment. I use #9 Klein pliers with #7 handles. I'm a Union Ironworker and use those pliers for tying rebar. Inquiring minds wish to know!

Jack

ShadowchaserUFP said:
Kevin, what do you do for a living? The reason I ask is the above comment. I use #9 Klein pliers with #7 handles. I'm a Union Ironworker and use those pliers for tying rebar. Inquiring minds wish to know!

Jack
That could be a fancy way of saying unemployed . I walked away from being a Fire Alarm technician recently because of all the corruption . I,m not a prima donna and realise construction is a rough game filled with all kinds of people . I was asked to do things I would not do so I just walked away .
As for the nine inch plirs ? When they are used to cut large multi conductor cables and everything from a hammer to a communications aid , bigger is better .

i'm an amateur topologist, i use klein pliers for tightening the screw tops on klein bottles. :D

-p.s. here's a linky that tells what a klein bottle is & even shows some pitiful attempts to make one in 3d (it's a 4d concept) if you use the link at the bottom of that page to go to their home page, they sell a nice klein bottle beer stein!

Yvsa said:
Very nice work Sarge, very nice indeed!!!!
A *Seven Thumbs* Up for you!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :D :cool:

I'm glad you like it Yvsa, my friends think (most likely correctly) I've lost my mind, stumbling around muttering sgian dubh this and sgian dubh that. I'd be much obliged if you could honcho sorting out the markings that will be engraved on the blades. I still like Howard's idea of requesting some be made sans any markings. Would present a blank canvas for etching/engraving, and might make them more palatable to kilt wearing folks (opening up a fairly fertile market, hand forged sgian dubhs at fair prices would sell like the proverbial hot cakes, you ought to see the overpriced crap people shell out money for at the highland games).

If I don't make it to the post office tomorrow, the whole project, thus far, will be on it's way to Yangdu Monday.

Sarge

Sylvrfalcn said:

Beautiful work. If we want flat leather scabbards we should communicate that the knives are traditionally carried in a sock.

The Kamis should be familiar with this handle design. Tibetans use a very similar design. Below is a Tibetian style knife I bought from a forge/knifemaker in the Tibetian community of Zhongdian on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau in Northwest Yunnan province, People’s Republic of China.

Tibetanknife.JPG

You will note the similarity in the shape of the handle on the Tibetan knife to Sarge's models. This type of short handle provides a secure grip and is not a new thing in Asia. I think of it as a "snubby" K-bar.

Although the detail on the silver scabbard does not show well in this photo, you should be able to make out the "endless knot."

We may also want to provide the kamis with some photos of traditional Celtic knotwork. There are similar themes in Asian crafts, and the Chinese do quite a bit with knotted cord decorations. However, it will be good to give them the flavor of the distinctive Celtic work.

Back