H.I. Skean Dhu?

what would be the estimated blade thickness? About the same as a JKM would be nice. Some simple jimping on the spine would help in close cutting tasks.

cheers,

--dave

dwatts67 said:
what would be the estimated blade thickness? About the same as a JKM would be nice. Some simple jimping on the spine would help in close cutting tasks.

cheers,

--dave

Dave, we don't know yet but if the kamis follow Sarge's model we will be poopin in tall cotton and wipin on the top leaf!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D
You can bet that whatever Sarge makes it will be authentic and good to go.
A git'r'done Sgian Dubh, designed by Sarge and commemorating Rusty!!!!:thumbup: ;) :cool: :D

Now the thing is will be the kamis following directions to a "T".

Oh yeah, Yangdu said we can do it.;)

i'll even buy one!
wallet%20&%20moth.gif

will have to soak wallet in ballistol for a while
before i can open it tho.

kronckew said:
i'll even buy one!
wallet%20&%20moth.gif

will have to soak wallet in ballistol for a while
before i can open it tho.

I can pry it open for you, with a khuk, which kami you prefer ? Bura or Kumar ? ;) :D

p.s. don't own a sher yet. :(

Can't recall whether anybody mentioned it......How about the shealth design ? Or let the kamis decide themselves ? :)

Astrodada said:
Can't recall whether anybody mentioned it......How about the shealth design ? Or let the kamis decide themselves ? :)

That would be the sarkis, but we know what you mean. I don't intend to be quite that adventurous, so I'll be sending a sample sheath as well. It will be just a simple flat scabbard, no belt loops, frogs, chapes, or other usual sarki added accoutrements. This is, after all, a knife intended to be carried in your sock, boot top, or pocket. :D

Regarding something Dave (DWATTS67) mentioned concerning blade thickness. I've got three sgian dubhs made in Sheffield, England by different makers, and one that was made in Scotland. I measured them very carefully, then I went and pulled out a couple old sgian dubhs I made myself and measured them as well. The variation in thickness was practically unmeasurable, every single one of them is 1/8" thick at the spine. To those of us used to big honking khukuris, the sgian dubh, in it's traditional configuration, is a very small knife (3 3/4" blade). Saddling it with an overly thick blade will guarantee a lousy cutter, and a so so sticker. Still, the kamis have a well meaning tendency to "overbuild" things (just look at how thick they make dinky little karda blades) so I'll be plumb tickled if they can at least keep the spine thickness down to around 3/16".

More to come, I'm hard at work on research and design drawing, this evening I'll start carving models. Blade design is already fairly fixed, so why tinker with something that ain't broke? My intent is to carve three models representing three different handle styles. I'll post pics, open it up to discussion/input, and the style that gets the popular vote will be the one I work up a live steel "working" model from.

Regarding handles. Guys, I'm sure down the road the kamis will want to exercise a bit of artistic license by way of different materials, decorative carving, et cetera. However, for the initial batch it would be prudent to keep things as simple as possible. The sgian dubhs will be partial tang like the KPH/Sarge knives. The handles will be wood, and the only metal fitting will be a simple brass hilt plate at the blade handle juncture. What I've just described is the exact method of manufacture of the sgian dubhs I have out of Sheffield, England. Again, why tinker with what ain't broke?

Where these sgian dubhs will reflect their uniqueness is in the engraving on the blades. I'm thinking on one side should be the initials "R.S." over the inscription "200K". But that's just me thinking out loud, I'd very much like to have all your inputs on what's going to be engraved on the blade, with the understanding that any final approval rests with Aunt Yangdu.

Gotta make a quick run out east of here to pick up another sgian dubh at the Wee Scot's Shop in Salado. Research :D ;) :D . Just picked up a nice sgian dubh at the gun show this past Saturday, made by the William Rodgers company of Sheffield (they made commando daggers for the British military back in the "Big One"). I love the motto that accompanies William Rodgers' maker's mark "I CUT MY WAY" (that there is good stuff ;) ). Why am I running around buying sgian dubh's? To look at one is one thing, to handle one another, but the real deal is subjecting it to testing in practical applications under various conditions. Said an old brewmaster once, "If a picture is worth a thousand words, a taste is worth a thousand pictures".

Sarge

Sarge,
I have a couple of Skein Dhu's my wife picked up at Thing's celtic, here in Austin. They are stag handled, pretty good knives. I have put one through fairly hard use and it still looks great. Let me know and I will be happy to lend you one.
--Dave

This is cool! Thank you Sarge for doing all the heavy lifting. I agree with Yvsa and Sarge and everyone about keeping the handles wood and the design simple.

Knowing the Kami's I would not be surprised to see one 15" long and 2 pounds capable of ramming thru a car door, but with Sarges model that has to help.

I think the biggest area for a mistake is in the scabbard. A simple sheath is the way to go, and they can follow Sarge's examples there as well.

Thanks to everyone for making this happen. I know I am in for at least one anyway.

Norm

What are we looking at (approximately) price wise on these knives? I need at least a ball park figure before I can convince the wife to let me commit to one LOL.

Jack

ShadowchaserUFP said:
What are we looking at (approximately) price wise on these knives? I need at least a ball park figure before I can convince the wife to let me commit to one LOL.

Jack

Jack, we'll have a price set after Yangdu sees the model. Until then Yangdu doesn't know how big the Sgian Dubh will be.
My best guess is around $65.00 to $75.00 somewhere.;)

Svashtar said:
This is cool! Thank you Sarge for doing all the heavy lifting. I agree with Yvsa and Sarge and everyone about keeping the handles wood and the design simple.

Knowing the Kami's I would not be surprised to see one 15" long and 2 pounds capable of ramming thru a car door, but with Sarges model that has to help.

I think the biggest area for a mistake is in the scabbard. A simple sheath is the way to go, and they can follow Sarge's examples there as well.

Thanks to everyone for making this happen. I know I am in for at least one anyway.

Norm

I think you've stumbled onto something here. Put me down for two Sgian Dubhs, and one big old 15" long 2lb-er that can ram through a car door too!! Having handled a really well done Sgian Dubh :)p ) I think the HUGE variety would just look cool as hell. :D

aproy1101 said:
I think you've stumbled onto something here. Put me down for two Sgian Dubhs, and one big old 15" long 2lb-er that can ram through a car door too!!

Gang, we'll have a sign up and pre-pay thread for when things are all settled and we have all the details *EXACT* as we want them.
Trying to dig back through this thread and contact everyone to get them to pay up would be as difficult as pulling hen's teeth and I ain't gonna do it.:rolleyes: :p ;) :D

aproy1101 said:
Put me down one big old 15" long 2lb-er that can ram through a car door too!!

Oh, and Andy, the big old 15" long 2lb-er that can ram through a car door is called a "Dirk", not a Sgian Dubh.:p ;) :D

HI has a knife similar to the Dirk but I can't recall what it's called. It's the single edged dagger looking affair with the guard as part of the blade, but I'd prefer a real Dirk instead of it. The real Dirks don't have guards and the real old ones and the better reproductions come with a small knife and a two tined fork for eating utensils.:thumbup: :cool:

I just like that idea. A dirk. I'll sign up and prepay for one on a run of those too. I'll have to get a special pair of socks to hold it to my leg though. I always wondered why Scots walked so funny. I just figured it was wool underwear.:D

By and by do you mean the Trisul?

Here's a teaser guys. Got my model blanks roughed out and ready to start seriously carving on. Top has a simple tapered handle, bottom exhibits common "thistle" shape, and center was based on a couple of my Sheffield sgian dubhs that I really like. That dinky and rather humble looking wharncliffe blade whittler off to the side is the sole knife being used for all the carving. I've got all kind of store bought knives, but when there's serious work to be done, you'll find one of my trusty recycled files in my hand. Roughed out all three models and it's still hair popping sharp.:D

attachment.php

Sarge

Attachments

• Picture 120.jpg
    Picture 120.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 109
Back