Handgun calibers...

Bri in Chi said:
...Any suggestions will be appreciated, as usual

Add a flamethrower in front of the trigger guard.
:rolleyes: :)

I read somewhere that humans have a primal fear of fire. Those who don't are pyromaniacs. But you can use the fire as a lure before yiou shoot em'.

A lot of experienced people here, indeed.

What do you think about best caliber for a snubnose revolver (which seems to be the best choice for concealed carry), I like the .357 Magnum a lot, but some say that from that 2" barrel is most of the energy just wasted in an impressive muzzle blast. And also you can have .38+p close to some weak magnum loads.

Is weight a consideration? For a "snub nose" concealment type pistol, I favor a S&W air weight or the old Colt cobra. Neither one is good with magnum loads.

I forget the name Italain police officer in New York, who used nothing but snub nose .38"s. He had the highest kill number and taught shooting. It is said he shot all the bad guys in micro seconds, usually head shots. You know, up close and personal. :rolleyes:

You don't need a magnum at that range. Shot placement and bullet construction is more important than "magnum" noise with misses. ;)

I had a snub nosed 38 for years. IF you don't load your own ammo, or don't carry it, you'll have to rely upon weak plus P loads from manufacturers.
In today's litigious society, plus P is not.

munk

Bri in Chi- First, take it out, run 1000 rounds through it and see what the weak points are/what you want to change.

Ferrous- Welcome back. The Fiveseven looks great and is available if pricy. Ammo is expensive, tho. Buck a round.

I like the .38 Detective Special 2 1/2". 6 rounds, the last generation can handle +P all day long, and very controlable. Gotta love Colt.

Brian

alberich said:

What do you think about best caliber for a snubnose revolver (which seems to be the best choice for concealed carry), I like the .357 Magnum a lot, but some say that from that 2" barrel is most of the energy just wasted in an impressive muzzle blast. And also you can have .38+p close to some weak magnum loads.

My first snubby was a Taurus 85. I selected it because it was $100 cheaper than a comparable S&W. It turned out to be a piece of crap and I sold it as fast as I could get rid of it, a good example of the adage, "you get what you pay for."

My choice now is a S&W 649 (.357 mag). It's barely bigger than the .38 J-frame and substantially heavier. The size is great for CCW and the weight tones down the recoil a little better better than the ultralights. In single-action with .38 target loads it's a manageable and accurate pistol.

With full-power factory .357 125 gr. JHP loads it bites the hand hard and flashes like a flare gun. I feed mine 158 gr. SWC handloads that clock at about 1100 fps in this particular piece. I can shoot them reliably and comfortably all day long and they seem to be perfectly suited for this pistol.

alberich said:

I've got a S&W 340 PD. I think it offers the best of both worlds. It is a lightweight 357 magnum snubby, so you can load it with 38 special. I usually fill it with the old Federal 38 sp nyclads, but if I want to shoot 357 or 38+p I can.

I don't have the chronograph numbers so I can't tell you about energies. The 357s impart a heck of a lot of energy to your hand though.

If you're shooting +p through a snubby make sure the firearm is designed for it. Some are not.

alberich said:

I have a Taurus 445, 44 Special with a 2" bbl. It has an alloy frame so it is pretty lite. The barrel is ported and it shoot very nicely. Get within 30 yards and you're dead meat. Carries nice in high ride holster, but a bit uncomfortable for an inside the waist.

The training powers that be have finally begun to propose that shots to the head be incorporated as part of law enforcement officers firearm training.
Head shots as a rule weren't counted as hits by instructors

For years the thought was strictly center mass which basically reduces the skill level necessary to be called competent by your department, reducing the liability etc etc but new thinking is on its way; moving while shooting, ( a nightmare for us firearms instructors working with a line) and
stop shots to the head are now beginning to take hold in standard qualification training courses.

I fully agree with the triple tap and practice more along the lines of vertical
stringing with my shots.
By far however where I find most officers lacking is in gunhandling skills which are more crucial with a semi automatic

As a private citizen, the headshot is fair game if my family is in danger. For a policemen, in a routine felony arrest, I'd hope they'd take out a wing instead.

munk

munk said:
As a private citizen, the headshot is fair game if my family is in danger. For a policemen, in a routine felony arrest, I'd hope they'd take out a wing instead.

munk

Not to get off topic, but I've got to disagree here. ANY time a person needs to use a handgun in defense of their own life or another's, whether the shooter is an officer of the law or a private citizen, then they should be prepared to take the life of the person they're shooting at. You don't intentionally shoot to wound; you shouldn't be shooting unless you think you're in mortal danger, and if that's the case you don't have the time or the luxury of a perfectly placed shot. JMO of course.

Spectre said:
Jim Cirillo?

Damn you're good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is the modern day Wild Bill Hickock. Jim Cirillo is quite the law officer!!

And he does it all with just a snub nose .38!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't imagine disagreeing with Rag and RR, but I SURE DO. Interesting time for it. I'm almost always in the same fox hole as they.

If I'm ever forced to pull my gun, I'll probably kill someone. I understand that. If I have a gun in my hand, it means someone is about to die.
( and please, anyone reading from the sidelines, don't pull the, "anything less than understanding of the stakes and willing to use lethal force could very possibly lead to catastrophy, that 'split second of delay" argument, because there isn't going to be any delay.)
A Police officer needs to protect his life, but he also has more room to manuever than I. There are suspects too dangerous to let run away, but you don't want them dead, either. There are simply circumstances where an Officer will wound rather than Kill. I know many cops will weigh in now to tell me I'm wrong.

The police have been sparing our lives by not shooting to kill for a long time. If our Age dispenses with this now, so be it, but don't tell me it hasn't happened in the past, and isn't now.

When a policemen draws his weapon, he does so knowing he may have to legally kill someone, but he does not always shoot with that intention, nor should he.

munk

Back