Handgun choices???

CJ:

I'm interested in getting your thoughts on handguns, specifically those for defense and concealed carry.

I'm as much a gun collector as I am a knife collector, with particular interest in self defense and concealed carry firearms.

What are your thoughts on the SEALs choice of the Sig 226. Would you choose a different sidearm if given a choice?

FWIW, my personal favorites are the Browning HiPower and HK P7.

Please share your thoughts! Thanks!!!

IMHO, GLOCKS can't be beat.

I prefer not to have a safety on a self defense and concealed carry firearm.

My choice is the Glock 19 with night sites.

Obviously it's CJ's opinion the original poster really wants, but if we're all volunteering opinions.... :D

For most people, the simpler the operating system they're using the better (true of all types of combat, armed or otherwise) so: DAO or 'safe action' pieces like Glocks, Kahrs, revolvers and the new Para-Ordnance LDA .45s.

However, if you've got the inclination and training, I think that there's a reason that the 1911 design is still at the top of the tactical heap in a lot of people's opinions. I also think the .40 Browning hi-power is a sweet carry gun.

Get a glock! Pull the trigger and it goes bang every time. I second the G19/23.

Originally posted by RGRAY
IMHO, GLOCKS can't be beat.

I prefer not to have a safety on a self defense and concealed carry firearm.

My choice is the Glock 19 with night sites.

Ditto!:D

RGRAY: Honestly not being a wise a$$.....but the Glock does have safety's. If I understood your point, it was no "external" safety's.;)

IMHO ONLY:

Glock is "outstanding", and most likely "unbeatable", but it isn't the be all, end all. Try feeding it some CCI Blazer to save some range money. Definately recommend replacing the stock plastic guide rod with titanium. This seems to be the Glocks ONLY POSSIBLE design weakness. A friend who is a Glock Armorer replaces them on high use LEO guns ALL the time.

Gotta agree on the 1911, KAHR's and Sig's.

Browning.....smooth as silk.

Ok, I promise to "shut up" and get off the horse. :p

Great topic Squid!

Why the small caliber glockman? LMAO:D

Got a buddy who won't go into the mountains without his for the same reason. Loves his 20.

I have no practical tactical experience but my Trijicon equipped Glock 21 (13+ 1 .45ACP, usually Hydra-shoks) helps me sleep well at night. Concealable, that's a different question. It's a big gun and I'm a big guy, so I could pull it off (although I don't because I live in CA), but something smaller is in order for concealed carry. I hear the Kahrs have a very Glock like mechanism but are single stack thin. Perhaps in .40 S&W.

jmx

High cap and caliber is great, but its shot placement that counts.

I saw a SEAL documentary on Discovery the other night. One of those interviewed said it best regarding their 9mm Sig carry.

UNKNOWN: "Yeah but its only a 9mm."

SEAL: "When I put two in your heart, and one in your head, your not gonna know the difference."

BTW: The KAHRS are GREAT! The designer, according to one article, wanted to combine the best elements of the Sig and Glock.

HK USP Tac .45 has served me well. Added AO sights, standard barrel, and use standard USP magazines.Always reliable and very accurate.

imho get a glock, i personally own 2 (a 32C and a 33) and carry daily and shoot quite a bit w/no jams ever - and i havent shot blazers in it (.357SIG ) my wife has shot a lot out of her glock 26 9MM w/no probs, though her SIG P225 doesnt like them - i have glocks, SIGS, walthers, rugers, colts, detonics, and have had jams w/all of them BUT the glocks - i love my SIG P220 .45ACP but it is not as reliable as a glock - they are kinda like an AKM they aint the most accurate but they go 'bang' every time, which is a must for me - i hated the things for years and finally got one, and now im a believer.....

sifu

He said self defense not gunfight ;)

Model 60 or similar, highly concealable, reliable etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love snubbies, and I think they've got a lot going for them. Still, if I could have but one handgun, it'd be a Glock.

Berreta Tomcat .32 ACP. Affordable, lightweight, accurate, reliable and fast. With a front pocket holster it's fast on the draw since your hand can be on the pistol grip without "telegraphing" your move. Furthermore at close range "two in the heart and one in the head" will do the trick even with a .32 ACP!

:eek:

Agree 95Bravo. One of my Gunsite Instructors watched his brother get shot and killed at point blank range with a .32.

Your point is well made regarding the telegraphing of your movement, and likewise shot placement.

I have nothing against the Tomcat or Alleycat but personally like the Kel Tec P-32.

Where are you Chris, any thoughts?

You are pretty safe with any hi quality HG. Once you get into this class it is just whats more comfortable for you. I would bet my life on a Glock but I swear by my SIG 229!! I've shot 1000's with no jam! I also have put 1000's through my Berreta 96 with no problem, don't over look them!!

Yessir GPB, these little .32's may not be big and glamorous but they are definitely lethal. The Kel-Tec looks very slim and lightweight but how is the accuracy and trigger action? My Beretta is very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

"RGRAY: Honestly not being a wise a$$.....but the Glock does have safety's. If I understood your point, it was no "external" safety's."

Thanks GPB, some people may not have understood that. :)

Wait a minute; european countries have been using the .32 and .380 cals. for years!

I would carry a Glock 19 (about the size of a snubby with 17+1 rounds)

View

and a Seecamp .32 cal in my pocket.

View

Back