HAP40 Stretch

Yes, please explain how lock rock is good

Sal has said "

"A very slight vertical play in lockbacks is fairly common if they are engineered for strength."

So it boils down to the amount of movement. But please continue to make snide remarks as they really add to the conversation.

Just got my stretch in last night. Very happy with this one, everything is perfect.

^

Nice to see an R model. I love mine and don't see enough pics of them on here. :D If it was green g10 and ZDP it would be a grail.

Sal has said "

"A very slight vertical play in lockbacks is fairly common if they are engineered for strength."

So it boils down to the amount of movement. But please continue to make snide remarks as they really add to the conversation.

I wonder how long ago Sal said this. I've gotten a hap40 Endura ,a hap40 Delica, two Native 5 s, a Stretch,and a Sage 4 I the last few years, and none of these have any lock rock. 8 to 10 years ago I bought 5 Enduras. Only one had lock rock and somehow that disappeared after a brief period of use.
With the limited availability of the hap40 Stretches, I wish I could adjust this myself and avoid sending it back. I guess I wonder if lock rock of any degree is still "within specs" for current quality lock backs. I don t like it.

I wonder how long ago Sal said this. I've gotten a hap40 Endura ,a hap40 Delica, two Native 5 s, a Stretch,and a Sage 4 I the last few years, and none of these have any lock rock. 8 to 10 years ago I bought 5 Enduras. Only one had lock rock and somehow that disappeared after a brief period of use.
With the limited availability of the hap40 Stretches, I wish I could adjust this myself and avoid sending it back. I guess I wonder if lock rock of any degree is still "within specs" for current quality lock backs. I don t like it.

Sorry to hear you got one with rock, mine came solid.The hap 40 version feels smoother than I remember my sb version being.

If it's bugging you I would contact Spyderco and see what they say.

Hope you get it sorted, it's such a great knife.

How much movement are we talking about? I just got mine a few minutes ago and if I try it will move a bit but I have to get after it like I mean it. My enduras/Delicas that move a bit are all withing the past few years.

To me it's not an issue but we all have thing that bother us.

Just realized that the Stretch and Mule team knives have the same basic handle shape and size.

DSCN4892_zps0usy70xd.jpg

To the lock rock and it being a sprint issue. My first SB Delica had real bad lock rock and I sent it in to Spyderco to be repaired. Instead they sent me a brand new one that was perfect. I assumed from that experience that they keep a few on hand for that very reason. Not sure if the maker makes more or they fixed mine and sent a replacement immediately or how it works though.

Lock rock bugs me. I don't like any blade play. I've come to accept that some of the Seki lock backs have it, but I still don't like it. I'd say a tiny amount is acceptable, but if it had a lot, I would send it back while the HAP40 models are still obtainable.

How much movement are we talking about? I just got mine a few minutes ago and if I try it will move a bit but I have to get after it like I mean it. My enduras/Delicas that move a bit are all withing the past few years.

To me it's not an issue but we all have thing that bother us.

I grab the blade up by the tip and its loose, back and forth. I m sure it's completely functional, but my other lock backs don t have this, some after years of use. My recent lock back purchases out of Golden, Native 5, and out of Taiwan, Sage 4, don t have this . I m a big Spyderco fan, and I don t want to send this back to them and have them tell me it s within specs. I hope that their standards for fit and finish are higher.

I have some old Buck 112 models that when rec'd had minor lock rock.

A toothpick and cleaning out the lock notch in the blade completely eliminated any movement.

Regards,
FK

Used mine a fair bit over the weekend cutting up some cardboard to construct a box. Already developed several fine scratches in the SUS410 part. I like it and gives it character, but crazy how just cardboard can do that.

Back