Hapstone V7

I have re-profiled a VG-1 chefs knife with it and the results are terrific. You literally can use this out of the box with limited sharpening knowledge. Why anyone would buy an EP or other system at the same price, then modify it to be the same as what you get from Hapstone, is beyond me. This is truly plug and play.

I have re-profiled a VG-1 chefs knife with it and the results are terrific. You literally can use this out of the box with limited sharpening knowledge. Why anyone would buy an EP or other system at the same price, then modify it to be the same as what you get from Hapstone, is beyond me. This is truly plug and play.
Yes. I have the Hapstone V6 and it rocks!
I still sharpen freehand, but when I have a bunch of knives to do all at once, I prefer to knock most of them out with the Hapstone.

Where are these made?

I’m looking at picking up a good sharpening system and this one caught my eye but there isn’t a ton of info or videos out there like there is on the edge pro or wicked edge. Does anyone else have any longer term reviews?

Where are these made?
I’m looking at picking up a good sharpening system and this one caught my eye but there isn’t a ton of info or videos out there like there is on the edge pro or wicked edge. Does anyone else have any longer term reviews?
Hapstone is made in Ukraine.
V7 is the new version, so we don't have many reviews online.

Massdrop launched for V6, Estimated ship date was Aug 21, 2017 PT, not even 4 months ago:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/hapstone-v6-knife-sharpener

V6 was released on amazon earlier this year ("Date First Available January 4, 2017"), which makes it imo look like a 2017 release. V7 was released in III/2017 (autumn). Only a couple of months apart. Are we going to see a V8 release in 2018?

I will have saved up some money by then! :cool:

Last edited:
V6 is the product of 2015. V7 is the product of 2017. I'm sure V7 will be on the market at least until 2019 (together with other Hapstone sharpeners of another price range).

are the venev edge pro stones you sell the 100% coverage rate, or the 25%?
I am interetsed in the 1''x6'' single sided bonded diamond

I picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago & the stones come loose after several passes, do you have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening? It's very annoying & seems like a design flaw to me.

Are you talking about the stones coming un-glued or they move around in the guide rod,if they are moving around in the guide rod you need to increase the spring pressure by moving the front block back a bit that holds the stone in place.

I picked one of these up a couple of weeks ago & the stones come loose after several passes, do you have any suggestions on how to keep this from happening? It's very annoying & seems like a design flaw to me.

Are you talking about the stones coming un-glued or they move around in the guide rod,if they are moving around in the guide rod you need to increase the spring pressure by moving the front block back a bit that holds the stone in place.
I was referring to the problem of them moving since they aren't glued to any backing of any kind. I've seen stones that are attached to what appears to be a thin aluminum backing that latches into the clamps more effectively but the stones that come with the V7 don't have this backing. I will try your advice on moving the front block back toward the handle to increase the spring pressure to see if that solves the problem. If not, I'll probably return it.

V6 is the product of 2015. V7 is the product of 2017.
Why does the blog post state "Hapstone V6 Rev1 Public Statement In January 2017, we launched the new Hapstone V6 knife sharpening system. In mid-February, customers began to receive their orders. Unfortunately, many customers informed us that the sharpener they purchased had defects. After an investigation, we confirmed that the Hapstone V6 Revision 1 had a few serious flaws"?
With "the product of 2015", were you referring to the V6 design project start or the date of local launch in Ukrainia? I was actually referring to the world-wide release of V6, and this was apparently in January 2017. V6 Rev2 was made available from April 2017 iirc. So maybe we're going see a V7 Rev2 by April 2018 too?

ref: https://www.gritomatic.com/blogs/news/public-statement

Last edited:
I was referring to the problem of them moving since they aren't glued to any backing of any kind. I've seen stones that are attached to what appears to be a thin aluminum backing that latches into the clamps more effectively but the stones that come with the V7 don't have this backing. I will try your advice on moving the front block back toward the handle to increase the spring pressure to see if that solves the problem. If not, I'll probably return it.

Yes, by all means, adjust the tension and that should take care of the problem of the stone sliding off. I too have the Hapstone v7 and had experienced the same problem you had the very first time I used it. I adjusted the tension and problem went away. I have since ordered the aluminum backed Edge Pro aluminum oxide stones which are a bit more conducive to the stone holder. But I do plan on buying a couple more non-aluminum backed gritomatic stones to further my progression.

With "the product of 2015", were you referring to the V6 design project start or the date of local launch in Ukrainia? I was actually referring to the world-wide release of V6, and this was apparently in January 2017. V6 Rev2 was made available from April 2017 iirc. So maybe we're going see a V7 Rev2 by April 2018 too?
Well, I will look like an idiot but I have made a mistake with the year.
You are correct, Gritomatic has launched V6 in January 2017. (V7 was available at Hapstone website at late 2016, but it does not matter).
V7 is October 2017.
Revision numbering and details are internal topics. Because V6 Rev1 had so many problems, we have explained all details about Rev1 and Rev2.
We had 4 revisions total for V6, and current revision of V7 is 3. Hapstone implements tiny improvements and fixes quite frequently. For instance, V7 Rev2 added springs to stoppers.

Stones mounted on blanks require less spring tightness, so it's easier to work with them. That's why we recommend Edge Pro format stones for Hapstone. However, Hapstone should reliably hold any stones with no backing. Make sure 1) the spring is tight enough 2) you tighten stone jaws with a stone inserted - otherwise auto-alignment will not work properly.

Well, I will look like an idiot but I have made a mistake with the year.
You are correct, Gritomatic has launched V6 in January 2017. (V7 was available at Hapstone website at late 2016, but it does not matter).
V7 is October 2017.
Revision numbering and details are internal topics. Because V6 Rev1 had so many problems, we have explained all details about Rev1 and Rev2.
We had 4 revisions total for V6, and current revision of V7 is 3. Hapstone implements tiny improvements and fixes quite frequently. For instance, V7 Rev2 added springs to stoppers.

Even v6 deluxe (the blue one) have problems?

Back