Hats & Knives

A trio of "old reliables"

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20191029091304209-COVER-2.jpg

Our daughter was able to help us gather Friday for our fall works:

smgauHK.jpg

c67MPzJ.jpg

Also used her as a model for some of our other products, our wool vests and our sandwashed silk wildrags:

4IHD3F1.jpg

My wife Nichole was also modeling a wool vest and wildrag. She hand makes both of these items. This hat by Mackey Custom Hats is her favorite out of her 6 or 7 hats:

lkn9YRo.jpg

os1oYDu.jpg

Our friend Emma was there to help too:

0Dt7gj5.jpg

I had a leather covering on my knife that afternoon. Coming back from the last circle and this little guy ran out of gas. He was with the last group of cattle way up on top of that ridge in the back ground:

xVLtZav.jpg

Our Young friend Emma has got pretty handy with the ponies:

9eSAmA0.jpg

And the roping:

UlY27fd.jpg

She asked if we could start teaching her how to do the groundwork.

kJFyL4q.jpg

She jumped in the deep end and paddled like a big dog!

IvOo8Ae.jpg

2KHNQh2.jpg
I reckon she is going to be quick learner.:thumbsup:

Our Young friend Emma has got pretty handy with the ponies:

9eSAmA0.jpg

And the roping:

UlY27fd.jpg

She asked if we could start teaching her how to do the groundwork.

kJFyL4q.jpg

She jumped in the deep end and paddled like a big dog!

IvOo8Ae.jpg

2KHNQh2.jpg
I like that knife in teeth shot.

I reckon she is going to be quick learner.:thumbsup:

Yeah she just turned 17 a couple of weeks ago. She's been hanging with us off and on a couple of years now. she didn't grow up doing this, so she is learning fast.

T

Thanks Henry, hadn't seen that one.

I like that knife in teeth shot.

Kinda gives her a pirate look eh? Actually pretty common way of holding on to the knife while castrating. My son Logan (on the left in the blue plaid shirt) runs a large ranch to the west of us and Cody (to the right in the yellow plaid shirt) runs a large ranch further west. They were both coaching her on how this is done. After she had made the first cut she asked them what she did with the knife as ya need both hands, they both said stick it in your teeth. She didn't hesitate. Between them they have cut hundreds and hundreds of thousands of calves. They've kinda got it down.

Yeah she just turned 17 a couple of weeks ago. She's been hanging with us off and on a couple of years now. she didn't grow up doing this, so she is learning fast.

T

Thanks Henry, hadn't seen that one.

Kinda gives her a pirate look eh? Actually pretty common way of holding on to the knife while castrating. My son Logan (on the left in the blue plaid shirt) runs a large ranch to the west of us and Cody (to the right in the yellow plaid shirt) runs a large ranch further west. They were both coaching her on how this is done. After she had made the first cut she asked them what she did with the knife as ya need both hands, they both said stick it in your teeth. She didn't hesitate. Between them they have cut hundreds and hundreds of thousands of calves. They've kinda got it down.
Hi how are you going, hope all is well. Thought you may be interested in this. There is a company over here called Kent Saddlery, and they make really good gear. They still travel to outback stations, like the old hawkers used to do in the old western days. Anyway the old couple that have been doing this for about 30 years are retiring, and they have done a segment about them on our national tv network. Google ABC Landline, Archives November 2019, and Travelling Saddler should appear. They are on facebook as well. I think you would like it.

Hi how are you going, hope all is well. Thought you may be interested in this. There is a company over here called Kent Saddlery, and they make really good gear. They still travel to outback stations, like the old hawkers used to do in the old western days. Anyway the old couple that have been doing this for about 30 years are retiring, and they have done a segment about them on our national tv network. Google ABC Landline, Archives November 2019, and Travelling Saddler should appear. They are on facebook as well. I think you would like it.

That was fantastic cudgee, I love to see that but sad that an end of an era has come about. Wonderful people and gear:thumbsup::cool:

Here's the direct link: https://www.abc.net.au/landline/travelling-saddler:-the-last-of-the-outback/11711556

Back