Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

Well, my 4+ years ht R&D journey follows this path... ok, ok, this is 'the' ht but after a bit of time passed by, 'the' became 'a'. Time moves forth, growing pile of dust collecting blades + coupons then at each milestone, I compare current result against my initial vision for hardened steel: high hrc, high toughness. Start with 'good enough' then progressing better but didn't crossed threshold of vision as of Nov 2018 with HT 2.5.

Since Dec 2018: HT 3.0 is radically different than HT versions 1.0 to 2.5. Current results are inside realm of my vision. After I'm satisfied with subsequent test series, WHEN/IF, acquire lab & metallurgists services. Too early for me to plan for excellent/meh/failure ht 3.x's future.

I'm sure this has been answered before, but when do you say "ok, this is the heat treat, it's the bees knees, I have forged Excalibur, and this is ready for the public" and then what are the plans after that? Are you going to offer custom heat treats or submit it for peer reviews or something?

rPOhAFg.jpg

Interesting man, I was thinking the spray form with the more spherical carbides would have a greater advantage over the ingot D2.

The T15 really captures my imagination.

I might end up liking it more the 15V.

Look forward to the test video.

AirGas in Ventura charges around $3/L for LN2, factoring in truck and fuel, it should come around $4/L. When at Praxair, I saw they charged a customer $27 for 2L of LN2 - ouch!

Comparing D2 vs PSF27 to now with ht 3 - I didn't find differences big enough to measure.

After lab nanographs - I will do more test on T15, 15V, 10v chopper, etc.. So far, T15 68rc is very impressive in edge stability and performance tests. With latest ht params, will target 69+rc for T15 and 15V.

Update 2/18 18:00
D2 64.5rc chopper, psf27 64rc they matched previous d2 and psf27 batch. I took 1 D2 from previous batch, applied few steps along with this batch - it is now 64rc (dropped 0.5rc).
Tested D2 chopper, included mild chops AB block = passed. Chops were full swing. Building up more confident in spite of thin edge and 64.5rc.
Will test cut 6D nail with psf27 blade later this eve.

psf27 has been consistently getting 0.5rc lower hardness than d2. I think, psf27 smaller carbide and better distribution therefore more plasticity and resist less against the hardness tester indenter. So far, the difference I saw when cutting 6D nail: d2 64rc is stronger (less deformation) than psf27 64rc. psf27 edge felt more uniform/finer than d2 at same finished grit.

if interested in testing, lmk: When I am done (or don't need) with testing 2nd blade of T15 & 15V. I still remember about AB, DI and curly mango blocks :D

Tentative Next video: 64.5rc D2 chopper stability and durability tests.

Interesting man, I was thinking the spray form with the more spherical carbides would have a greater advantage over the ingot D2.

The T15 really captures my imagination.

I might end up liking it more the 15V.

Look forward to the test video.

Yea man, I still have something to send down to you, I've just put it to the side for now until I have time to finish it.

psf27 has been consistently getting 0.5rc lower hardness than d2. I think, psf27 smaller carbide and better distribution therefore more plasticity and resist less against the hardness tester indenter. So far, the difference I saw when cutting 6D nail: d2 64rc is stronger (less deformation) than psf27 64rc. psf27 edge felt more uniform/finer than d2 at same finished grit.

if interested in testing, lmk: When I am done (or don't need) with testing 2nd blade of T15 & 15V. I still remember about AB, DI and curly mango blocks :D

Tentative Next video: 64.5rc D2 chopper stability and durability tests.

** calling J jpm2 - if you like to play/have a m2 66rc 0.088" thick, 3.4" edge, partial tang blade and put handle on yourself - lmk.
Not sure why I missed this post, no alert... but yes I'm interested in anything m2 from you.
Email incoming.

Last edited:
I didn't feel like videoing... Test D2 64.5rc chopper for durability

Did 1 hr of chopping dead fall eucalyptus = it passed durability test. So chop into near parallel into pine knots looking for trouble = got 2 ripples = excellent!

nh3lqFp.jpg

Fixed D2 chopper ^ = a little recurve and thicker edge, fun to carelessly hack around with it.

After 2 whole days - just completed ht this batch: aust 2100F soak 45-60 minutes.

Final HRC: 10v/68, T15/68, M2/67, S690/67, M4/67, 204P/66, S90V/65.5

Quick scraped 60D nail test with *just-done-ht* thin edge: no hint of problem/issues

68rc is too high hardness for 10v chopper at harsh chop tests - maybe will do some gentle chops at 68rc. Then try to lower hrc to ~66 for abusive chop tests.

2GZ8kbK.jpg

Next ht batch - primary to produce coupons for bending test:
440c 0.08" thick 20 coupons, aebl 0.07" thick 16 coupons. dimension: 5"L x 0.37"W
Target 64rc, 63rc, 62rc - perhaps 4 coupons per steel per 63,62 hrc. 64rc balance

I consider this chopping test as a 'pulse-check' for this thin 10v chopper at 68 hrc. Will lower hrc to 66 as targeted and do more testings.

HT 3.0, CPM 10V 68rc, 3/16" thick, 9.5"L
18dps, 0.012"-0.016" behind edge thick

Edge after chopped electrical wire: https://i.imgur.com/fWmTTzF.jpg
fWmTTzF.jpg

Edge after whittle common nail: https://i.imgur.com/0eSBXfy.jpg
0eSBXfy.jpg

8m:8s video

Edit 2/27 15:25
Sharpened 15dps the rest of test blades [m2,m4,t15,10v,s690,s90v,204p]
Whittled dried cooked pork rib bone = all passed.
Chop dried Eucalyptus = passed [m2, m4, t15, s690], chipped [204p - 2mm tallest, 13mm total width], won't test small s90v and 10v.

Edit 2/27 18:01
Whittled dried cooked cow femur bone - ranked result (best to worse): *note: not equal force and angle when push edge into super hard bone, so result will be on total damage mode, magnitude

m4 67rc - micro rolls/ripples, a surprised no micro chips
10v 68rc - micro ripples, micro chips (when ripples/rolls pushed too far)
t15 68rc - micro ripples, micro chips - could be a toss up with 10v
m2 67rc - micro ripples, micro chips
s690 67rc - micro ripples, micro chips, *sharpening error so edge has ~13.5dps.
s90v 65.5rc - tiny micro ripples, almost visible micro chips
204p 66rc - sub micron ripples, visible micro chips

Edit 2/27 20:00
I cleaned up the chop contact area and marked edge shoulder for this close up pic

myBa0GH.jpg

Edit 2/28
Ran all blades through - projected - 1 rc lowering process = small 10v 67.5rc, s90v 65rc, 204p 65rc, t15 67.5rc, others hrc are unchanged.

Whittled dried cooked cow femur bone = all passed, some with micro ripples or rolls.
Whittled 60d common nail = all passed, some with micro ripples or rolls.
Chopped katalox wood with 10v 68rc chopper = passed.

Will run 10v chopper to additional hardness lowering process, aim for 2rc reduction.

Plan to cut 20/ea bend test coupons 52100 and O1.

Edit 3/1
Lowered hardness: 67rc 10V chopper, 66.5rc T15, 66.5rc S390, 66rc M2
These test blades will face harsh/abuse chopping tests.

Last edited:
A little winded intro into BCMW's vision of high strength and toughness steels.

HT 3.0
CPM 10V 3/16" thick, 67rc
18dps, 0.012" behind edge thick, 1/8" up from apex 0.027" thick

Test chop materials: oak, rosewood, burl, african blackwood, 14ga steel wire.

Close up edge after chopped 14ga wire
QMvo22S.jpg

*** LONG VIDEO 28m33s ***

An open mind would never allow science to close it. Trust your common sense and analytical mind. When current physics can't explain the mechanism/causal of empirical evidences, thus either by ignorant and or established theories been falsified.

I have this simple magnetic capture setup for over a year, finally pushed myself to make this video. It is very easy to reproduce and repeatable. Current physics magnetism theory stated this can't be done. Obviously, this setup accomplished such impossibility :) thereby falsified current theory by evidence.

As for explanation of how/why/hypothesis/theory for this magnetic capture and everything else... open mind lead to open door.

An open mind would never allow science to close it. Trust your common sense and analytical mind. When current physics can't explain the mechanism/causal of empirical evidences, thus either by ignorant and or established theories been falsified.

I have this simple magnetic capture setup for over a year, finally pushed myself to make this video. It is very easy to reproduce and repeatable. Current physics magnetism theory stated this can't be done. Obviously, this setup accomplished such impossibility :) thereby falsified current theory by evidence.

As for explanation of how/why/hypothesis/theory for this magnetic capture and everything else... open mind lead to open door.

With Electric Universe theory it makes perfect sense.

I don't think so because Maxwell's Magnetism theory is an important part/foundation for Electric Universe. This magnetic capture is evidence falsifying (prove false) Maxwell's Magnetism theory.

With Electric Universe theory it makes perfect sense.

I don't think so because Maxwell's Magnetism theory is an important part/foundation for Electric Universe. This magnetic capture is evidence falsifying (prove false) Maxwell's Magnetism theory.

More specifically I'm referring to the opposing bowl-shaped magnetic fields and how ferrous metal gets suspended / captured between them. As opposed to the incorrect diagrams that commonly show looping magnetic fields around the poles of a bar magnet.

I am not sure how bowl-shaped magnetic vector fields interaction/math would produce a capture zone. I can envision a magnetic vortex similar to quadrupole - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrupole_magnet - however a mag vortex is very weak and won't levitate a ball bearing due to z-axis magnetic induction, the ball bearing quickly fall into any random 1 of 4 magnet below.

Even array of Halbach Cylinders won't produce a capture zone that can levitate a ball bearing.

Basically, Theory of Magnetism is flawed in spite of its quite useful for most purposes. Therefore any theories/concepts based on it, also flawed.

More specifically I'm referring to the opposing bowl-shaped magnetic fields and how ferrous metal gets suspended / captured between them. As opposed to the incorrect diagrams that commonly show looping magnetic fields around the poles of a bar magnet.

Current Fundamental Physics is logically inconsistent, i.e. flawed
Scientific reasoning requires logical consistency. Current Fundamental Physics - such as magnetic and gravity - is logically INCONSISTENT.

It's futile - for me - to present logical consistent reasons/mechanisms of magnetic and gravity, until your analytical mind recognized there is serious problem in current fundamental physics.

Last edited:
Finally ht in progress for 3 points flexural bending test

oGupDF2.jpg

Another physics video (if anyone care ;)) : youtu.be/20Q2fvSVzyo

Calling T Twindog - a follow up on my mentioned earlier when you destructed test your Randal knife. If you are interested with either hunter blade in psf27 64rc or d2 64.5rc, I could slap a quick scales for handle it for you to sand then play.

Finally ht in progress for 3 points flexural bending test

oGupDF2.jpg

Another physics video (if anyone care ;)) : youtu.be/20Q2fvSVzyo

Calling T Twindog - a follow up on my mentioned earlier when you destructed test your Randal knife. If you are interested with either hunter blade in psf27 64rc or d2 64.5rc, I could slap a quick scales for handle it for you to sand then play.

Thanks, Luong. Yes, the Randall basically failed everything I threw at it. It is the worst expensive knife I've owned. I've always been interested in psf27, but never had a chance to try it out.

Your work on the forum is truly amazing. And thank you for being so nice.

Sure, I will fasten natural Asian Satinwood Burl scales with stainless set-screw and g-flex epoxy. I never try set-screw before but curious how it would turn out, however always chance of ugliducky. Of course, if you prefer something less prototypeez ... I could use corby bolts and desert ironwood. lmk. psf27 blade is full tang, 1/8" thick, 5" edge.

Edit 23:15
I unpacked and stacked a few of my wood boxes. There are quite a few type of woods, some stabilized, most are natural. I won't do handle until this weekend, so lmk if you have something in mind.

Thanks, Luong. Yes, the Randall basically failed everything I threw at it. It is the worst expensive knife I've owned. I've always been interested in psf27, but never had a chance to try it out.

Your work on the forum is truly amazing. And thank you for being so nice.

23:22
This weekend, I probably put handles on a few blades... maybe there will be a coconut chopper to replace the 52100.

HT still in progress, look like I will skip 1 step prior to 1:00 zz time, then resume in the morning.

Last edited:
Back