Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

Let's see ultra fine grain (and sub-grain within) in context of chopping harsh materials: bone, wood and metal.

W2 Cleaver 0.135" thick, ** Correction 65-65.5rc **
18 dps edge.
0.020" behind edge thick
0.035" thick 1/8 up from apex
0.060" thick 1/4 up from apex

Last edited:
ApreoIso.png

https://www.fei.com/products/sem/apreo-for-materials-science/

CNSI has many cool instruments, for now all I need to operate ^ this basic instrument. Will find out access approved or denied in a couple weeks. For fallback - I can use metallography services instead of a more ideal self-serve-rental+consultation.

=========

Fun to tinkered with 26C3 steel 1.3%C quite pure low alloy carbon steel, which is similar to Hitachi White Steel. Per this instance of ht - Its microstructure isn't as fine as O1,10xx,W2,52100.

nPkSFwd.png

I thought normalized at 1650F for 2 hrs would dissolved all cementites. Well, sure disappointed to see white-blobs throughout etched surface under 400x and 1K magnifications. Next 26C3 ht round, I will use higher normalize temperature to dissolve and distribute 99+% carbides.

Last edited:
ApreoIso.png

https://www.fei.com/products/sem/apreo-for-materials-science/

CNSI has many cool instruments, for now all I need to operate ^ this basic instrument. Will find out access approved or denied in a couple weeks. For fallback - I can use metallography services instead of a more ideal self-serve-rental+consultation.

=========

Fun to tinkered with 26C3 steel 1.3%C quite pure low alloy carbon steel, which is similar to Hitachi White Steel. Per this instance of ht - Its microstructure isn't as fine as O1,10xx,W2,52100.

nPkSFwd.png

I thought normalized at 1650F for 2 hrs would dissolved all cementites. Well, disappoinged to see white-blobs throughout etched surface under 400x and 1K magnifications. Next 26C3 ht round, I will use higher normalize temperature to dissolve and distribute 99+% carbides.
Looking forward to it. I'm enjoying the edge properties of this steel.

Agree, it would be interesting to carbon%-parity comparison between O7 and 26C3 :thumbsup: So far O1 has best microstructure among tested steels.

it looks like interesting steel, but no moly and no vanadium (even trace amounts like 0.2%) would be helpful
it has very low sulphur which is nice, very clean
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/26c3.shtml

... it would interesting to put this steel up against something very similar, but with tungsten and vanadium like o7 steel
http://zknives.com/knives/steels/o7.shtml

BCMW W2 64+rc Thin Cleaver Harsh Chopping Test

Capability and damage mode test by chopping large dried cow bone.

HT 3.0
W2, 0.130" thick, 64+rc
18dps, 0.015" behind edge thickness, 0.029" 1/8" from edge, 0.045" 1/4" from edge.

I would also lost as well. Deduce from M2 specs, it shouldn't chipped, since D2 didn't, although M2 at 64rc while D2 at 63rc. Unless test piece made from lousy quality M2, which resemblance behavior of ingot cru-wear. I have a few bars of M2 but at this point, I give them another chance at the end of ht 3.0 test cycle.

*a minor disclosure - D2 ht was more elaborate (2x time consuming) then M2 & T15, so that could be a small factor in lower toughness. Until I get another ht oven, I will continue to use ht that finishes in less than 10 hrs.

I will rough pre-ht grind some blades (steels listed in prev post) for next test set.

What form (brand name?) of m2 do you have? I looked it up and it is _easily_ the most renamed steel type in existence!

I would love for you to get your hands on Latrobe's version of it: 'double6' http://zknives.com/knives/steels/Latrobe/double_six.shtml
they don't list any sulphur - so I'm hoping it is actually really low and clean...

but other makers have good forms of m2 also: hitachi - yxm1, or german based thyssen krupp http://zknives.com/knives/steels/Thyssen-Krupp/3343.shtml

my guess is m2 is a lot like d2, every steel maker has their own form of it, with different compositions and cleanliness values... please share if you know your original foundry ; )

I need to have bluntcut make a wire skinning knife for me. I’d like something that can hold an edge for more than a few uses and is tough enough so that I don’t have to worry about breaking the tip so easily.

xvm1 looks intriguing, would be cool to test it. I bought M2 from AKS, so they probably know source of their M2. Subsequent ht of m2 turned out much better (appropriate per composition in context of my ht protocol), so I think tested m2 is good enough quality ingot steel. I didn't examined its microstructure for inclusions; bandings; etc. so actual quality tbd.

What form (brand name?) of m2 do you have? I looked it up and it is _easily_ the most renamed steel type in existence!

I would love for you to get your hands on Latrobe's version of it: 'double6' http://zknives.com/knives/steels/Latrobe/double_six.shtml
they don't list any sulphur - so I'm hoping it is actually really low and clean...

but other makers have good forms of m2 also: hitachi - yxm1, or german based thyssen krupp http://zknives.com/knives/steels/Thyssen-Krupp/3343.shtml

my guess is m2 is a lot like d2, every steel maker has their own form of it, with different compositions and cleanliness values... please share if you know your original foundry ; )

Wire skinning/stripper edge is stiff (non-flexing) so worth consider: k390, 10v, cpm t15 at 66-68rc would provide very durable and long retention edge. Most edge impacts are deflection/skip against soft and uniform material Cu, Al, Sn-coated. Plastic and especially dirt/grit coated wire would dull more slowly for these wear resistance steels. Tip isn't taper, so hook bill or wharncliffe will be strong. Also most of the time, tip exiting the cable through plastic so incidental lateral shear will has low torque, hence most likely won't even lateral bend/flex the tip... all said and done - nothing is sure until you experience/live it :)
I need to have bluntcut make a wire skinning knife for me. I’d like something that can hold an edge for more than a few uses and is tough enough so that I don’t have to worry about breaking the tip so easily.

I’d try whatever steel you think is best for the task. I skin thin wire to heavily jacketed cable and use my knife to open and pry things as well. Let’s talk price friend.

We can communicate with email, please send to bcmw at flexbiz.com.
I’d try whatever steel you think is best for the task. I skin thin wire to heavily jacketed cable and use my knife to open and pry things as well. Let’s talk price friend.

'Pry' required blade to has certain attributes: full elasticity range, decent plasticity range as well, bulk/thickness strength. Of course bend corner curvature and pry/torque load will determine appropriate tip thickness. Thick blade has direct adverse affect on jacket thickness - i.e. more wedging and edge diving. 64rc cpm t15 0.09" thick would/could (need prototype) support sensible prying while maintain ease of glide between jacket and core.

While your exploration of new boundaries for steel are definitely interesting, I must say that you have also great taste for knives : I like your simple and ergonomic shapes.

BCMW W2 64rc thin cleaver - Part 2 of 2
A follow up video on testing for edge damage by chop large dried cow bone.
W2 64+rc, HT 3.0
18 dps, 0.020" BET, 0.030" thick 1/8" from edge, 0.048" thick 1/4" from edge

BCMW 52100 63rc bolo chopper - normal chopping test
52100 1/4" thick bolo chopper
HT 3.0 63+rc
18dps, 0.018" bet, 0.035" thick 1/8" above edge, 0.065" thick 1/4" above edge

Thanks Shawn.

Edge was apexed with DMD 2x6 600 grits diamond plate on EdgePro at 18dps; freehand deburred and refined with 2k diamond; made 5-10 slices to newsprint to fold/bend weak dangler/wire; deburred with dmt ee. I call this sharpening progress as a refined 600 biting edge.

Great demonstration Luong, Strong work. That edge was nice too, what was the stone progression?

Very clean edge, was quieter than I expected, good testament of the sharpener, the steel and stone progression.

T15 looks like an animal man. Killer edges and very stable looking from the video. I was enjoying watching how effortless the cutting was with a task that is pretty abusive on the edge.

Most knives would edge fail bad doing that. Especially the "tougher" steels Everyone runs to when there edge chips, not realizing they need more strength and stability not raw shock resistance.

Thanks Shawn.

Edge was apexed with DMD 2x6 600 grits diamond plate on EdgePro at 18dps; freehand deburred and refined with 2k diamond; made 5-10 slices to newsprint to fold/bend weak dangler/wire; deburred with dmt ee. I call this sharpening progress as a refined 600 biting edge.

T15 sharpening characteristic is similar to M4, so easy to achieve high keenness edge, hard to refrain from making it too sharp. otoh sharpen 15V to this level - as you demonstrated: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkuZ4tTVpjM - requires high skills. For fairness sharpening skills(edge doping) test, please send me your CBN stone set along with 1um diamond strop - heheh.

btw - 'just between you and me ;)' how much did you pay for your 15v hardness testing by Lisin Metallurgical Services? Nifty cool 67rc 15V blade.

Very clean edge, was quieter than I expected, good testament of the sharpener, the steel and stone progression.

T15 looks like an animal man. Killer edges and very stable looking from the video. I was enjoying watching how effortless the cutting was with a task that is pretty abusive on the edge.

Most knives would edge fail bad doing that. Especially the "tougher" steels Everyone runs to when there edge chips, not realizing they need more strength and stability not raw shock resistance.

That was a $50 hardness test :eek:

But folks kept telling me that 15v doesn't go past 64-65 because that's what the spec sheet says :D:D I'm sure you're familiar with the situation.

Folks have a lot to learn about what is possible.

Haha Doesn't look like T15 needs any help from my stones:p

Just got a ton of belts in. When I get finished with customer knives and out the door it's T15 time baby :cool:

T15 sharpening characteristic is similar to M4, so easy to achieve high keenness edge, hard to refrain from making it too sharp. otoh sharpen 15V to this level - as you demonstrated: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkuZ4tTVpjM - requires high skills. For fairness sharpening skills(edge doping) test, please send me your CBN stone set along with 1um diamond strop - heheh.

btw - 'just between you and me ;)' how much did you pay for your 15v hardness testing by Lisin Metallurgical Services? Nifty cool 67rc 15V blade.

3qL49Op.png

* Support reference for SEM & EDS images (in this and subsequent posts):

The research reported here made use of the shared facilities of the
National Science Foundation (NSF) Materials Research Science and
Engineering Center (MRSEC) at UC Santa Barbara supported though NSF DMR 1720256. The UC Santa Barbara MRSEC is a member of the Materials Research Facilities Network (www.mrfn.org).

SEM image of the same O1 sample above

oBy2QYl.png

EDS scanned of NJSB W2 (bought early 2019). *NOTE: qualitative data
_Kv 15.0
_Mag 65323
_Tilt 0.0
_Detector ADC1
_Averaging 1
_DataRange 0-4095
_Label SE1
_Matrix 256x200
_MicronsPerPixX 0.021
_MicronsPerPixY 0.021

FFnVzaX.png

Carbon density/distribution
9zAJ6QO.png

Vanadium density/distribution
rdjwi4h.png

Other elements distributed quite evenly.

Any plans for polished and etched SEM Micrographs?

I'd love to see some 52100 btw.

That Lisin Metallurgical place has SEM.

But they charge $250 per hour to run.

Yikes

3qL49Op.png

* Support reference for SEM & EDS images (in this and subsequent posts):

The research reported here made use of the shared facilities of the
National Science Foundation (NSF) Materials Research Science and
Engineering Center (MRSEC) at UC Santa Barbara supported though NSF DMR 1720256. The UC Santa Barbara MRSEC is a member of the Materials Research Facilities Network (www.mrfn.org).

SEM image of the same O1 sample above

oBy2QYl.png

EDS scanned of NJSB W2 (bought early 2019). *NOTE: qualitative data
_Kv 15.0
_Mag 65323
_Tilt 0.0
_Detector ADC1
_Averaging 1
_DataRange 0-4095
_Label SE1
_Matrix 256x200
_MicronsPerPixX 0.021
_MicronsPerPixY 0.021

FFnVzaX.png

Carbon density/distribution
9zAJ6QO.png

Vanadium density/distribution
rdjwi4h.png

Other elements distributed quite evenly.

Back