Heat Treatment - Crystal Weaving Foundation

At finalizing ht step for this batch - hrc are mostly on target for 64-64.5, except for Nitro-V 60-61rc. Nitro-v used is from NJSB 2nd mfg batch. Their 1st mfg batch - it usually produced around 63rc. It's irritating to wasted resources on Nitro-V, at any rate, I will bend test a few nitro-v 61rc strips and not going use it in future, unless hrc issue is resolved (won't battle this one in near future).

440c: 64.5rc
Aebl: 64 - 64.5rc
Niolox: 64.5rc

Expect 0.5rc drop after final ht step (sort of untempered tempered at 310F :))

3x 6" blades are receiving 350F temper - expect (N595/440c: 63.5rc N690: 63rc Aebl: 63rc)

Calling C Chris "Anagarika" - This weekend, I will put handle on 2x 6" blades. If you are interested in replacing your 52100 coconut knife and willing to shape+sand the handle and pay for int shipping, lmk. Steels: M2 66rc or D2 64.5rc, stainless above - after a couple rounds of test.

Last edited:
Although ht and testing objective were successful, it was painful to put large lateral force to generate mondo fractured/chipped on test blades. I will buy a couple black-shell coconut to tests with 15dps edge. I didn't built 3 pts flexural test harness/rig instead just used my body weight stands on a cylindrical mid-point until either bottom-up at limiter or fracture. Here is the result (*warning - full macro resolution*):

hYIWGEv.jpg

Here is an online calculator for bending angle. https://planetcalc.com/1421/
Use 'Sengment defined by chord and height'
Chord length is 80mm, height is deflection, so e.g. for 80mm chord and 10mm deflection, the angle is 56.14 degrees. Hence a 5.4" blade should able to bend 90* without breaking however blade will not return straight due to plastic deformation. In order to bend 90* and return straight, blade needs 8.8+" long (8.34" chord length).

Edit 3/10 13:40
Metallurgy is one of many possible applied physics. I have been waiting for more evidences on airplane crashes, particularly vertical nose down impact at full speed, before making this video. My deepest sympathy to all those affected by tragic losses in these incidences

Last edited:
Finally remember and have 2 test bar for making this video but (oh well, fwiw) can't correctly recalled/used proper terminologies... hopefully you get the idea being convey.

OT Update 3/13 12:40

With NTSB update about Amazon Prime Grant Air 3591 crash, I can removed torque-coupling variable from previous video. Gyroscope failure (flawed in current Physics) is the most likely be the key factor/variable responsible for recent airplanes crashed.

Logically, there is higher certainly in linking satellites gyro failure to the same type gyroscope flawed physics.

Update 3/13 17:05

Last edited:
ZeTNuPQ.jpg

@Twindog - My wife asked me to finish 'em up, so after 2 more coat of oil - psf27 knife will head your way (same address, unless specify otherwise).

I used set-screw to slapped quick handle on the n690 test blade. With addition of CA glue, the handle is dead solid... didn't detach on impact/batons. On the side with hex-slot, it looks like tube pins - not too bad but could be better if the set-screw is long enough to cutoff the hex slot.

:thumbsup:

I just refilled 2 dewars with 50L of LN2, getting ready to R&D some more with T15. Thin T15 sheets should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Should be sweet, like all the benefits of Maxamet but more focus on edge stability and razor edge holding, yet a nice blend of aggression.

I likey

So, umm.. Cliff notes? A brief summary of the process, or this thread, your endeavor summed up to date would be nice.

Is this a new process or the same, which you're now moving forward with? R&D with steel or temperature variation? Are you looking for a harder steel or RT? Where are you at this point? Cliff notes?

Did it work?

HT 3.0 evolved/enhanced extensively from HT 1.0 (as published). It shared fundamental crystal weaving aspect but quite different ht process end-to-end. It is remain as research & development in progress. key enhancement of ht 3 over ht 1.0 is at same very high hardness, latest ht matrix has plasticity and more stability. Latest processes are much more than simple temperature and time parameters, sorry no disclosures at this time or near future.

Yes, it worked well. I am happy with test result below...

So, umm.. Cliff notes? A brief summary of the process, or this thread, your endeavor summed up to date would be nice.

Is this a new process or the same, which you're now moving forward with? R&D with steel or temperature variation? Are you looking for a harder steel or RT? Where are you at this point? Cliff notes?

Did it work?

bRRrY4Y.jpg

HT in progress for the next few days ...

#1: Making D2 big brother D6, aim for test at 64-65rc. D6 even at annealed state, high speed+pressure grinding at 36-60 grits produced fine dust instead of fiberous. Looking forward to seeing how this (target) 64+rc D6 chopper perform.

#2: HT 3 face off between V4E and 3V at (target hardness) 65rc. Make another attempt to produce 62+rc vanax. Niolox parers - aim for 65rc.

#3: 92 pieces of carbon steels

bgAbBth.jpg

Edit 20190408:
D6 peak 68.5rc, will test at current hardness 65.5rc
V4E peak 68rc, tbt (to be test) at 65rc
3V field knife tbt 64rc
Vanax peak 62+rc, loss some hardness due to 15F over ramped, currently 62rc.
Nitro-v 64.5rc
3v hunter 65rc
niolox 62rc
cpm154 64rc
zwear 65rc

It will take a few hrs to stainless foil wrap ~50 work pieces of carbon blades & strips. Maybe ht 25 pieces on Wednesday and complete on Thursday.

Edit 20190409:
D6 65.5rc - 15 minutes chopped 2x4, oak, eucalyptus, solid cu core electrical cord = passed.

Last edited:
In the process of verifying sub-grain microtructure, hopefully I will get full access to a SEM (JSM-6400 instrument). If/when successful confirmation of sub-grain, then I will establish working relationship with UCSB Micropscopy Facility. For now, optical is still useful to view microstructure boundaries at near 250nm resolution (albeit very fuzzy).

ABC6Gyk.png

l0QAJAc.png

For comparison to previous (best) ht result
ZVjFxdA.png

HT in progress for the next few days ...

#1: Making D2 big brother D6, aim for test at 64-65rc. D6 even at annealed state, high speed+pressure grinding at 36-60 grits produced fine dust instead of fiberous. Looking forward to seeing how this (target) 64+rc D6 chopper perform.

#2: HT 3 face off between V4E and 3V at (target hardness) 65rc. Make another attempt to produce 62+rc vanax. Niolox parers - aim for 65rc.

#3: 92 pieces of carbon steels

bgAbBth.jpg

Edit 20190408:
D6 peak 68.5rc, will test at current hardness 65.5rc
V4E peak 68rc, tbt (to be test) at 65rc
3V field knife tbt 64rc
Vanax peak 62+rc, loss some hardness due to 15F over ramped, currently 62rc.
Nitro-v 64.5rc
3v hunter 65rc
niolox 62rc
cpm154 64rc
zwear 65rc

It will take a few hrs to stainless foil wrap ~50 work pieces of carbon blades & strips. Maybe ht 25 pieces on Wednesday and complete on Thursday.

Edit 20190409:
D6 65.5rc - 15 minutes chopped 2x4, oak, eucalyptus, solid cu core electrical cord = passed.
Well that's a cool picture that gives me the warm and fuzzies!

Will the higher ductility means more care is needed during deburring?

Yes, mostly in context of ductility, which is a subset of plastic deformation. I answered a similar yt question a week ago...

**** 1 week ago (edited)
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on whether the plastic deformation range and ability to resist fatiguing has any effect on burr formation and removal when sharpening.

Luong La 1 week ago (aka bluntcut)
Should split plastic deformation into 2 zones: matrix ability to bent+compress and flow/ductility. It is plastic flow makes gummy burrs and difficult to remove them because flow can pivot and smear around. Flow is basically iron behavior and iron ain't strong, so % of iron on the edge = % of wimpiness :) Fatiguing in your question is related to work hardening due to compression on iron(the pinched side of bending). Exactly why ppl strop and pray to remove these gummy stuff pivoting on the apex. Pray because hoping for iron fatigued - LOL. Sharpening should be deterministic, not a wide range of acceptable outcome. My fold & cut burr removal video will help when dealing with gummy burrs.

Reading and bug-eyes interpretating fuzzy optical micrographs are difficult. Optical doesn't resolve grain boundaries very well and not possible to see sub-grain. So trying to figure out grain size, I use these 2 below as reference & guide.

Baseline image (rescaled to 1um from 5um) of a 6-7 micron O1 grain size. I lost this baseline sample. If necessary, I would repro baseline.
0vuxUay.png

Matching bounded shape geometry to infer into crystal grain
enOevw2.jpg

loAVArN.png

1RCISKC.png

O1 - Best fine grain size among samples.
UmOAiuD.png

463l6Xs.png

0RzPnOr.png

jHJqbqT.png

xsp3kqg.png

UeFOv1U.png

I toured facility that has a JSM-6400 SEM. It is in working condition but idle because lacked of use/need. It would take 3 days to vac pump pressure down to 10 e-6 Torr and should keep it running 24x7. Since I only need SEM maybe once or twice a month - this route isn't suitable. I will get in touch with UCSB Microscopy Facility, since most of their lab instruments are running 24x7.

While in the realm of optical microscopy. To have a better topological view of the fractured surface, I titled the sample about 30 degrees from normal/perpendicular. Wave shape is due to optic - not surface

* To be clear: This is a fractured surface - by break sample coupon with vise+plier. Which is different than polish+etch surface.

PbSggiD.png

Back