Help me understand the allure of spyderco knives

I don't like the hole on the blade that they have just for the sake of being different. I also see a lot of people putting zip ties and crap for lack of a thumb stud.

As was already mentioned, the hole was not for the sake of being different, but to facilitate one-hand opening. Spyderco was the first company to innovate and mass produce manual one-hand opening knives, as well as knives with pocket clips.

Also as has been mentioned, the zip ties people put on them are not for lack of a thumb stud; they are put there because the owners want a “wave” feature so they catch on the lip of the pocket and automatically open upon withdrawal from the pocket.

For easy, instinctual one-hand opening, the Spyderco hole is the still the best device.

Of course, everybody has their likes and dislikes.

Jim

I bought the blue knife in post 119 for $250 in June, 2019. It wasn’t blue at the time. My son in law anodized it.

Buy a delica and use it. You’ll figure it out.

I personally hate the pm2 and although it’s popular, I don’t think it’s the best representation of how useful their knives are.

bought my first spyderco (resilience) the other day at libmart because it was marked down price and i can wave it with ziptie mod which i doubt ill ever buy another knife that wont wave again. im hooked on that feature meow.

I'm not going to try to sell you on Spydercos in general, because I've been in the same boat as you; sometimes I buy a knife because N. Shabazz (and the rest) tell me it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then I pick it up and think, "What's the big deal about this?" Right now, everyone seems to have a love fest with both the Keen (from Drop, not Spyderco) and the Kapara (from Spyderco). I really don't get it either, though I've handled the Keen and not the Kapara. The Kapara just looks to me like it's got a weird shape, but no one else has said this.

That being said, you mentioned the Advocate. That's a bit of a different offering than the usual Spydercos in G10. I happen to love the orange peel, and I appreciate the fact that it's got an M4 blade. Also, it's a flipper, which I like a lot. The only thing I didn't like about it was the very strong lockbar coupled with a lockbar thumb cutout that wasn't big enough, so I weakened the lockbar, and I slightly increased the cutout with a Dremel. Now the Advocate is a dream. I recommend it highly.

Thanks, I'd like to get an advocate to run like that.

bought my first spyderco (resilience) the other day at libmart because it was marked down price and i can wave it with ziptie mod which i doubt ill ever buy another knife that wont wave again. im hooked on that feature meow.

Interesting point! What is "libmart"? Never heard of that.

I have to admit that I used to dislike the sight of a Spyderco knife with its gimmicky hole in the blade, and odd look. On a whim, I snatched a Para3 off BHQ last year because it was on sale. Guess what, I absolutely love the little knife! I also love the grippy G10 scale material they use. Admittedly, I’m not a fan of the high ride pocket clip, so I tried a replacement Lynch clip...it just bent. I went back to the original Spyderco clip and just live with it, because it is a solid, reliable pocket clip. Five out of seven days a week, the Para3 is in my pocket at work.

My gateway knife was a dragonfly. Thought it was strange but loved it. Then I got drawn into steels. I own other knives but the Spidies always come back to my pocket. I've really enjoyed using and putting handles on the mule team knives.

Walmart. You know, he's trying to be cool and trendy because Walmart is not going to sell ammo anymore. Which is stupid, because that's not the problem.

Still... Libmart. Cute. The kiddies and their sayings!
You know what’s even cuter? A grown adult being patronizing on what’s supposed to be a forum with a cohesive community. Stick to the topic at hand rather than insulting your fellow forumites.

Moving on.

The beauty of Spyderco is in handling the knife. No one is going to convince you to like them. If their ergos and cutting performance don’t convince you, then none of us will.

I have to admit that I used to dislike the sight of a Spyderco knife with its gimmicky hole in the blade, and odd look. On a whim, I snatched a Para3 off BHQ last year because it was on sale. Guess what, I absolutely love the little knife! I also love the grippy G10 scale material they use. Admittedly, I’m not a fan of the high ride pocket clip, so I tried a replacement Lynch clip...it just bent. I went back to the original Spyderco clip and just live with it, because it is a solid, reliable pocket clip. Five out of seven days a week, the Para3 is in my pocket at work.

MXG makes thick sturdy clips for the Para3 and others. I put a black one on my Para3 satin so now it is a dark color and deep carry.

I have to admit that I used to dislike the sight of a Spyderco knife with its gimmicky hole in the blade, and odd look.

I was the same.
Did not like the looks of Spydies at all, but kept seeing how popular they were in and around the forums, especially the PM2/3.
So I picked up a PM2, PM3, Delica, and ROC at the same time. I've since picked up the PM3LW. Wouldn't call myself a fanboy, but I definetly appreciate them a whole lot more after actually handling them.
Everyone should at the very least handle a Spydie, be it a Delica, or one of the PMs.

is it your opinion that the delica is better in some way than endura? to me it seems the delica blade appears too short for the handle length or something?

Walmart. You know, he's trying to be cool and trendy because Walmart is not going to sell ammo anymore. Which is stupid, because that's not the problem.

Still... Libmart. Cute. The kiddies and their sayings!

Ah. F flashcan556 is making a political statement. Aren't those supposed to be limited to the Political Arena?

Maybe he did not read the rules we agreed to abide by when we signed up. F flashcan556 , here is the rule and a link to the location

"Keep Political Issues Confined to the Political Arean

Politics are a charged topic of conversation. As a result, we require that they be kept to the designated areas. Occasionally these rules may be relaxed with regards to knife related topics. The Moderators & site staff will make that determination & have sole authority to do so"

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/

Ah. F flashcan556 is making a political statement. Aren't those supposed to be limited to the Political Arena?

Maybe he did not read the rules we agreed to abide by when we signed up. F flashcan556 , here is the rule and a link to the location

"Keep Political Issues Confined to the Political Arean

Politics are a charged topic of conversation. As a result, we require that they be kept to the designated areas. Occasionally these rules may be relaxed with regards to knife related topics. The Moderators & site staff will make that determination & have sole authority to do so"

https://www.bladeforums.com/help/site-rules/
wow

My thoughts I’m a big spyderco fan mostly because they are really pushing things with trying awesome high end steels (mostly tool steels) and they are really good about heat treats. From a mechanical and aerospace engineering stand point I respect and appreciate this. Aside from that the ergos on favorite knives (para 3, pm2, military, manix 2, yojimbo 2, and shaman) just seem great to me. I prefer the compression lock (quick easy and strong), and last the spyderco hole can be manipulated for opening in so many different ways I believe it’s the most versatile opening system available. When I was younger I thought they were a bit odd looking but intriguing, Once I started using them they just made sense. From a merchant marine/ marine engineer / emergency response / fire fighting / hunting and everyday use standpoint I think they are perfect. Have a great tool for nearly all tasks. And now days I love the look. It’s like with the AR15 platform “function over form” but somehow form falls in line too. Anyway, that’s my two cents, take it or leave it.

Back