Hesitant to use your EDC?

It certainly is wonderful to read all this feedback from those who are willing to tell others how they should use their possessions. I'd say most of the replies are from the "if you don't use your knives, you got no reason to live" crowd. I, on the other hand, say use your knives or don't use them precisely the way you want to. They're your knives. You paid for them. Do with them as you please. And pay absolutely no attention to those who would tell you to do otherwise.

It's a shame to have it and not use it. I've been there and was hesitant to use my knife. I decided this was silly and if necessary I would tone down my EDC to a point where I was willing to use it. If you do end up carrying a knife that you might be hesitant to use, then do carry a second knife with it.

Now I use the knife and if it gets dull I just sharpen it.

I sometimes have felt that way, but I remind myself that a fresh edge is just a few minutes away on my Sharpmaker, so I use my EDC's with as little hesitation as possible, regardless of how much I paid for them.:thumbup:

FWIW, I've had all of my possessions stolen some years ago, along with some very expensive lights, knives, guns (some of which I'd never used because of whatever reasons...) Now, I try to USE what I own and especially what I carry. If I can't bring myself to use it, it will most likely be sold. :)

Last edited:
It certainly is wonderful to read all this feedback from those who are willing to tell others how they should use their possessions. I'd say most of the replies are from the "if you don't use your knives, you got no reason to live" crowd. I, on the other hand, say use your knives or don't use them precisely the way you want to. They're your knives. You paid for them. Do with them as you please. And pay absolutely no attention to those who would tell you to do otherwise.

No arguments from me; I just described what I do.

FWIW, I baby black-coated blades that I like. I still use them, but only for light work, because I hate the way a black coated blade looks when it's scratched up.

This thing has never had any rough work, even though I carry it often, for exactly that reason:

o6pvxce.jpg

I use them, won't cut up a cardboard box with my Sebenza as that is what my Charge or utility knife is for. Everything else it's good to go. My carry traditionals are light duty, tags and such. I did have a stash of them that were for collection enjoyment only though.

I carry several so I'm able to choose the one best suited for the cutting task at hand. All are quality knives (GEC, CRK, and the like) but I would not hesitate to use any of them, because I don't mind sharpening on a regular basis.

This is the boat I'm in. Carrying a knife and choosing to not use it for cutting something that isn't flat out abuse, is beyond the level of consideration that I give my edges.

Hell, the edge on my CRK has a chip in it as I type this, it will sharpen out eventually...

Never. I'm sitting in a 12 step meeting right now... the kid next to me was trying to remove the safety from his disposable lighter. I quickly pried it out with 62RC CPM4V.... with no damage to the tip!

Get a multitool you savage! :p

I use my knives for various things, it depends on the day. Whether it be cutting open boxes or cutting up lunch.

I just sent you an email cm
Never. I'm sitting in a 12 step meeting right now... the kid next to me was trying to remove the safety from his disposable lighter. I quickly pried it out with 62RC CPM4V.... with no damage to the tip!

The OP asked people what they would do and subsequently got opinions lol I'm confused on why you're confused:confused:

Reason I rotate multiple knives and typically carry multiples as well, is to have the knife I need to cut whatever it is I need to cut, when it's time to cut it

(I also have knives I rarely or don't carry at all, the "collectors".)

I have certain knives I prefer working with outdoors,
I have certain knives I prefer with certain pants
I have certain knives I prefer for casual carry
I have certain knives I carry to work...

I work in manufacturing too, (before manufacturing I was doing commercial roofing), and it's filthy where I work, very abrasive conditions; sands, waxes, glues, (the roof was just as bad), none of which are necessarily "knife friendly", and not just to edges, but to finishes, moving parts, etc. Because of that, I won't bring a "nice knife" to work. instead I opt to bring knives I don't mind abusing a bit, and won't feel salty about if they would so happen to get ruined. (I once dropped a knife into a hot glue pan, completely coated it, and thankfully it was an all aluminum handled schrade, so I just left it sit on a separate inverted hot plate over night, melted 99.9% of the glue off, finished with an acetone wipe, and was good to go).

That said, I bring knives I find suitable to my liking for use in my given conditions whatever that may be... And I use 'em... I don't need my bosses and coworkers to see me with a $100 or more knife at work, I'm perfectly happy with my assortment of sub $50 knives I can happily use, abuse, and not care so much if they get broke, ruined, lost, or even grow a pair of legs and walk away (and they're still nicer and sharper then most anyone else's there). I have a dedicated strop just for keeping my working edges on my work knives and with any knife, i'm usually excited to get to use a fresh edge to cut something up. I might even go looking for stuff if nothing presents itself in a day or two, but I admit there have been times I just finished sharpening a knife, brand new fresh edge, and something "hard use" presents itself within the hour, and I'm like "got dangit, really!? I just got this edge where I wanted it"... But then, I get to cutting, and stopping...

Fwiw though, I ain't mad at you, utility knives are knives too. They serve their purpose... I personally try not to baton with my knives unless necessary, I prefer an axe/hatchet/saw to process wood. Like someone else said, they're your knives, use them as YOU see fit, be it opening letters, gutting game, a paper weight. or sitting on a shelf, but I do ask in regards to the cardboard box, what is the point of the nice edge you were worried about, if not for cutting? Personally, I would've cut that box like nobody's business, and then strppped the edge when I got home.

Last edited:
Fetzer - yes.
Red mag - yes, but thinking about EDC-ing my wave again (I miss having that) (especially with the mini fenix in the slot...)

Just the other day I needed wire cutters, I didn't have any and pulled out my hammer and benchmade 585 and smacked the spine cutting the wire on concrete. USE IT!! :)

I would just carry a second knife. I carry a SAK just about all the time and usually something else that is "better". Seems I use the SAK for most of my cutting which brings the conversation back to why carry a second knife or an EDC that you only selectively use? If the material to be cut was particularly abrasive or dirty (like carpet, tar or some thing), I'd use the utility knife as that is precisely what they're for. Don't sweat it. Enjoy.

Use your blades. Sharpen blades. Use blades more. Sharpen blades more. Get really good at sharpening. Use sharper blades more. Enjoy your blades.

When your Every Day Carry becomes your Every Day Jewelry you need to reevaluate things...

use your knives. they were built to cut things.

Back