Hesitant to use your EDC?

Knife nuts get a certain pleasure from cutting something with their knives and doing it very well/efficiently. I know I do. Enjoy.

I'm in the "use it" crowd... I usually keep a small pocket stone with me to touch up an edge if necessary--something like a Spyderco double stuff is small enough and effective enough to hone a blade back to very, very sharp. So, yes, if you derive pleasure from using your knife--then holding back with your edc defeats the purpose of buying/ carrying it; if however, one buys (primarily) for the aesthetics, collectability, pride of ownership, etc... then a more suitable (usable) edc might be worth considering.

I always have a more replaceable knife along, it's part of the joy of collecting rather than buying one knife.

I ended up with a beautiful Case at a cheap price and that often gets used over my Benchmade of the day, just because it has options, it's pretty, and it doesn't scream danger

I enjoy carrying a traditional folder with multiple blades, so I can have a 'user' blade, and keep the other blades(s) sharp.

Bingo that why I tend to favor trappers, stockman and Barlow patterns when it comes to traditional folders

I always have a more replaceable knife along, it's part of the joy of collecting rather than buying one knife.

Love this! I do the same thing. I always enjoy these threads, as I love to read all of the guys who say - use every knife you have, otherwise, why'd you buy it?....be a man! Well, I am a knife user & a knife collector....strictly fixed for me. I prefer carrying one of my favorite "fancy" EDC fixed blades at most times, but I will not use such a knife for anything heavy duty....I'll open boxes & the like with joy, but I try to keep a user close by for any tasks that would mark up a blade, etc. I'm not going to pretend to be the tough guy who doesn't care about scratches on any of my knives...I care....a lot! I want to keep my fancy carries nice, & there's a bit of a stigma with this I've noticed in the BF/knife community.

I agree that knives should be used, & used hard if the job requires it....absolutely...I've got awesome 3V campers & EDCs that I don't mind going to war with; but I will literally cry like a little infant baby girl if one of my super nice collector knives, that I chose to carry so I can show them off, gets scratched or otherwise flawed...so no, I do not use ALL of my knives, & I just checked to be sure, my penis is still intact.

Guys... Let me try to defend myself - I use that thing from everything from prying those safeties off of lighters to stabbing beer cans and twisting (opposite the mouthpiece for a better pour).. all I was saying is, "do I really want to totally take some edge off of my super sharp knife, or should I just use a box cuter?" I chose the box cutter. After reading all of the responses I do actually think I'll cut that box next time. But don't think I'm afraid to use my knife - I LOVE using my knife!

I would use the standard issue from the company while at work. On the clock, I would not expect to use my own personal property. YMMV.

-Brett

I'm pretty sure that if I were at work, and there was a work supplied box cutter that was adequate for the job, I'd use the company-provided tool rather than mess up my own pocket knife.

So nothing wrong with your approach in that situation, in my opinion. In general I will use whatever pocket knife I am carrying for whatever cutting task they are appropriate for, but if a box cutter would do the job better, or scissors, or a kitchen knife then I won't use my knife just to be using it.

Well I see no purpose in not using all my knives. Put it this way, if my edc is all that I have on me and I need to cut with it I'll use it for anything. If I'm home my kitchen knives are for cooking and I have some work knife users. I see no reason not to have a bunch of different knives in rotation. That said I wouldn't think twice about using my edc for anything if that 's what the only knife I had on hand.

PS one of the handiest is keeping am alox cadet in your knapsack it's what I do. I never carry two knives on my person though as that's overkill for me but I have an extra knife stuffed just about everywhere else lol.

Just the other day I needed wire cutters, I didn't have any and pulled out my hammer and benchmade 585 and smacked the spine cutting the wire on concrete. USE IT!! :)

Lol!

I've done the same thing with my Sebenza:D I even used my André Thorburn L51 to hammer the edge through some tough straps against wood.

Way I look at it is.. if my knife can't handle what I need to cut (reasonably speaking) then that knife is useless to me. That's the whole reason I carry it. You might as well leave it at home if your scared to use it man.

You sound like a knife collector not a user! You should put all your knives in display boxes at home and enjoy them that way! Nothing wrong with that, you just need to come to grips with it! I myself only buy knives I will use! I'm not a collector and I'm not looking to sell them eventually!

This is well said brother (yes, I looked it up, we're brothers), but I'd like to add a third column in-between use it or put it in a display box. I very often carry my collector fixed blades to show them off, and I perform light-duty stuff like opening boxes, etc. with them....I do have nice users that I have no use limit on (save for abuse/using knives like hammers & the like)....but I have a bunch of super nice, "fancy" (for lack of a word that makes me sound more like a sissy) knives that I want to carry...both to show them off & to just enjoy carrying them & using them for lighter ED tasks. When something rough comes up, I'll use one of my go to users & rough it up. I will never ever ever use one of collector fancy-lad knives to perform a task that will scratch it/etc. I want to keep those types of knives as close to pristine as possible. Again, there's an odd stigma in the knife community that sissifies men who aren't willing to scratch up each & every one of their knives....it's strange to me. I know I'm not the only one who both uses & collects....& I also know I'm not the only one who would rather not scratch up some of my knives, when I've got users for that. Now, life threatening & similar situations of course don't apply here....if I needed to use my Gallardo bird & trout to pry something off of my daughter because that's all I had on me....I'm happily ruining that knife.....but baring similar situations, why should I feel like I have to be ok with scratching up my collector knives when I don't need to?? And why didn't my parents love me more....why??

This thing has never had any rough work, even though I carry it often, for exactly that reason:

o6pvxce.jpg
Really nice pic.

For cutting tape and boxes at work I have a Meyerco assisted box cutter equipped with a Benchmark ceramic blade. Just don't the sense of using
my AFCK for that kind of stuff when the ceramic blade lasts for months at a crack and never seems to dull.

I will be using this to cut up cardboard boxes at work tonight. :thumbup:;)

1210151706_zpsklb9fglg.jpg

Knives are made to cut stuff, and this is a particularly nice one, with a blade shape perfectly suited to box cutting. Why not use it? :cool:

Way I look at it is.. if my knife can't handle what I need to cut (reasonably speaking) then that knife is useless to me. That's the whole reason I carry it. You might as well leave it at home if your scared to use it man.

Did you even read this thread, or did you start from page 3? I already said that I stab the tops of beer cans and twist. That's you thinking that I'm afaraid to use it? That's kind of weird..

You'll cut cans but not a box? To each his own.. but you obviously wanted my opinion since you posted in a forum . So I gave you my opinion

lol... I find that if i'm worried that the knife I'm carrying is going to lose its edge that fast I need a better knife. :)

So i'll sell it and get one that holds a better edge.

Use it! I actually like to compare them and use em to their extent, to see if the higher end folders can hold up and if they are worth the money.

Back