Hesitant to use your EDC?

What's the point of owning a knife if you don't want to use it?
bad646c32dea6553e4f7563519f3a80d.jpg

This kind of reply is why I'm done with this thread. Simply a dumb response. My post was basically a long winded version of, "do you guys try to preserve your edges if you have the option to do so?" I had the option to use a box cutter to cut a box and chose to. I've stated NUMEROUS times that I USE IT FOR EVERYTHING.
And a thank you to the people that actually read and understood the original post!

This kind of reply is why I'm done with this thread. Simply a dumb response. My post was basically a long winded version of, "do you guys try to preserve your edges if you have the option to do so?" I had the option to use a box cutter to cut a box and chose to. I've stated NUMEROUS times that I USE IT FOR EVERYTHING.
And a thank you to the people that actually read and understood the original post!

Then why even post the thread? You basically said "I had a knife but used a box cutter. Can you guys validate my choice so I don't feel bad about it?"
Who cares what you used to open the box.

Ok... So just now (at work) (I'm in manufacturing) - I had to cut open a very large box. I pulled out my (very sharp) EDC and was like, "no - I'm going to go get my utility knife for this" to preserve the edge of the EDC. If it were a smaller box or just a strap that needs to be cut - of course I'll use the EDC - that's why I carry it - duh. In fact - I'll use it for ANYTHING if need be, but the 'need be' wasn't there.. Now I agree that sharpening can be therapeutic, but using it for that monstrosity of a box just seemed wasteful to my edge.
What would you guys do in this situation?
That's a condition people develop when they give too much consideration to the perfect edge and not enough to the knife being your tool. I get my EDC to hair shaving before work every day, and I use it. It's an every day carry. If you only carry it, then what is the point? I prefer to use my knife over a utility razor any day, because it opens and is put away faster, one handed. The only thing I don't use it on is something that would destroy the blade. That box won't hurt your edge. Remember, a knife is meant to cut. The knives of our grandfathers weren't sharpened to little nubs because they hesitated to use them. My current EDC is an Endura that my family picked up for me. It had sentimental value and I use it daily for that reason.

Thread responses are on the subject and don't necessarily apply directly with the original poster. That is just the way threads work.

It certainly is wonderful to read all this feedback from those who are willing to tell others how they should use their possessions. I'd say most of the replies are from the "if you don't use your knives, you got no reason to live" crowd. I, on the other hand, say use your knives or don't use them precisely the way you want to. They're your knives. You paid for them. Do with them as you please. And pay absolutely no attention to those who would tell you to do otherwise.
The OP asked them their opinion. The best way to not be told how to use one's knife be other member of Bladeforums, is to not ask said members, how he should use his knife.

I see no reason to ruin a dedicated EDC carry knife with repetitive everyday tasks. That's what Leathermen, Swiss army knives, cheap folders, and folding utility knives are for.
Then those would be the dedicated EDC, not the pocket knife that sits in the pocket.

My knife cuts boxes better than those so called box cutters with disposable blades. I prefer using the best tool for the job.

I myself keep my Leatherman kind of dull(to my standards, people still compliment me on my ability to sharpen....on the Blade I keep dull) for stupid things and letting people borrow it, because I find most people seem to want to cut rocks and crap, and keep a designated sharp knife on me too for the times when an edge counts

Why would I use my EDC for cutting cardboard if I have a utility knife handy? If I'm playing around or testing the steel I get it, but day to day EDC... I'll save my knife for when I'm not around more appropriate tools.

Once upon a time I used to constantly worry about scratching or dulling my knives. My obsession was so bad that the only way I could bring myself to use any of my knives was if I had a backup of that knife in mint condition. Many years pass and i started to hate the hobby. Then one day i was sitting there sweating the smallest imperfection 99.9 percent of all people on earth would never have spotted and i knew i had to make a change. I decided what i had to do was completely remove all trace of my "collector" mentality. If i viewed my knives as collectables then the desire to keep them pristine was too overwhelming. But the moment i started looking at them as tools that obsessive worry just melted away.

If i hesitate to use the knife i carry in the moment i have a need for a cutting tool and i find myself scrambling to find a box cutter why have the knife? If people want big boy toys that is all fine and well. But if you are going to carry a tool prepare yourself to use that tool. Force yourself to use that tool. Even if you are cringing with every slice keep doing it until it sinks in that the real joy of knives is using them for what they are intended for and that is to earn every story that is created with every mark you put on it. Now im not saying all knives are this way. If people have a knife just for looking there is nothing wrong with that. But everything has its place. And a collectable does not belong in your front pocket.

A good thread.
I adopted the Eastern philosophy. A Samurai would not use his jinto, battle blade, for utility work. He would use a nata/kozuka. Sometimes I carry a knife just for business.
rolf

A good thread.
I adopted the Eastern philosophy. A Samurai would not use his jinto, battle blade, for utility work. He would use a nata/kozuka. Sometimes I carry a knife just for business.
rolf

Agreed. Depends why you carry.
EDC for defensive purposes - keep it hidden, keep it sharp, keep your guard up.
EDC for utilitarians -- Use the blade, wash the blade, sharpen the blade, repeat.

Op, you started a great thread, don't sweat anyone telling you what to do or how to use your knife. Lots of good points ( no pun intended) no right or wrong answer which so many of folks have said. I know today's cardboard is filled with lots of abrasive material that can and will dull a knife, so your concerns are valid. Personally I use what I have, however,that said I have used box cutters too while carrying my EDC. Box cutters were designed to cut boxes so they seem to work pretty well.
Don't take the responses to heart we all love our knives in one way or another, different opinions, however it is all good.

Then leave the thread if you don't like seeing peoples pictures of used knives..Actually you might want to leave the website lol

I sometimes carry a knife and don't use it for anything that would affect the appearance. There is only 1 reason I do it. I plan to sell it if I don't fall in love. Otherwise it is a user. I don't sentimental well because I see so much stuff held onto and not used get destroyed by rust or moths.

If you're unwilling to use it when a cutting job comes along, then you should leave it at home. Or if that's too severe, carry another knife that will meet any need you're likely to have at work.

If you're unwilling to use it when a cutting job comes along, then you should leave it at home. Or if that's too severe, carry another knife that will meet any need you're likely to have at work.

Exactly. Buy a Cold Steel for using... or by a CM fixed blade :p

Back