Himalayan Imports Picture Thread

Karambit by Vim
5291c570.jpg

I saw a post where someone had a colored Horn handle for an M-43 (but there's no change option for handles on the website). How common are these, and how does one go about getting one?

I sent Yangdu a message about that to see what options are available. I wonder if the one I saw was custom ordered.

TARWAR!

CSGTarwar20091031c_sm.jpg

With a 10" Kumar Karda:

TarwarKarda20091031_sm.jpg

Stylish close-up of Villager finish:

Tarwar20091031b_sm.jpg

Good thing I snapped some photos prior to etching... not sure if this is strictly a villager thing or what, but after neutralizing the FeCl with some windex, rinsing with hot water, and drying off with paper towel, much of the surface seemed to get an unmistakable look of rust about it. I took some elbow grease and 600 grit wet/dry to get much of that off, but there's still some trouble spots here and there. To be safe in the meantime, I slathered 'er in mineral oil, hopefully preventing further corrosion for a while.

On the plus side, I got most of this baby shaving sharp! It's an Ivan Drago of a blade: whatever it hits, it destroys!

Good thing I snapped some photos prior to etching... not sure if this is strictly a villager thing or what, but after neutralizing the FeCl with some windex, rinsing with hot water, and drying off with paper towel, much of the surface seemed to get an unmistakable look of rust about it. I took some elbow grease and 600 grit wet/dry to get much of that off, but there's still some trouble spots here and there. To be safe in the meantime, I slathered 'er in mineral oil, hopefully preventing further corrosion for a while.

You may want to try to neutralize with baking soda rather then windex. Windex has it's place, but it's only for degreasing due to the ammonia. Adding oil over corrosion will not stop it alone, in fact it will trap it, while it may not get much worse it will also not get better.

Great looking tarwar and karda. :thumbup:

You may want to try to neutralize with baking soda rather then windex. Windex has it's place, but it's only for degreasing due to the ammonia. Adding oil over corrosion will not stop it alone, in fact it will trap it, while it may not get much worse it will also not get better.

Great looking tarwar and karda. :thumbup:

Thanks fer the advice, Skyler. I guess some day I'll have to do a more thorough polishing to get the apparently rustiness off. I figure it might take to a bit of rusting anyway if I take it out and actually chops stuff with it, but can't hurt to try and get rid of the stuff that's there for now.

As per the windex, seemed to work before, but that was on either mirror polished or satin-finish blades I guess. The villager finish is a different beast, as the extreme closeup shows.

Here's a pic of my 18" villager WWII by Vim Kami. Sorry for the lousy quality, I used my friend's cell phone camera.

121504321.jpg

COL? (chuckle out loud) at the non-bladed tools that are finding their way in there.

My piece de resistance when confronted with big-gun threads is to trot out the "No need to compensate" CAK + KelTec P-32 photo, but I seem to have mislaid it :\

How does it hold up to hard use? Or is this the first time you've used it? It looks great in any case.

How does it hold up to hard use? Or is this the first time you've used it? It looks great in any case.

Hard use, explain your idea for me. Hard use by my standard, all of my H.I blades are lightweight geared more towards a fighting type tool & light work duty, not meant for axe duty as the current line seems more geared up for. No not the 1st time I have used it, 1st post I made about it here dates back to 2003. Thanks!

Back