Hinderer Skinnys

Yep, got the green one with stonewashed (satin, whatever Hinderer calls it) blade.

Heads up if you like Micarta the skinny micarta scales are really sweet, they feel great in hand imo and look even better.

I only wish they made a skinny Burgundy micarta scales or textured Ti frag scales..... hoping soon the skinny catches more love and they start making more accessories for it.

btw here is a side by side of the standard and skinny Xm-18 3.5 if it matters
ykPkPLLh.jpg

Heads up if you like Micarta the skinny micarta scales are really sweet, they feel great in hand imo and look even better.

I only wish they made a skinny Burgundy micarta scales or textured Ti frag scales..... hoping soon the skinny catches more love and they start making more accessories for it.

btw here is a side by side of the standard and skinny Xm-18 3.5 if it matters
ykPkPLLh.jpg
You know the only difference between a standard XM Burgundy micarta scale and a Skinny Burgundy micarta scale is .030” off the back side.

You know the only difference between a standard XM Burgundy micarta scale and a Skinny Burgundy micarta scale is .030” off the back side.

I didnt know the exact amount but I have contemplated buying a standard scale and sanding it down to 1/8" to fit my skinny. I may just buy ti scale and live with the slightly thicker scale.

So, in 24 hours the knife arrived. Super service.

As for the knife itself, I absolutely love it. I've been hot and cold over flippers, because I'd never seen a huge need, but this one is done right. The skinny no-choil slicer is about as usefull of a grind as I've seen for this sort of critter, much better executed than that full thickness spanto I had. It cuts and cuts very well. Edge is good, lock up is solid, F/F is good, the quality is there for the $. Very happy with the purchase. Now I just need to find a skinny titanium scale...
XM-18.jpg

So, in 24 hours the knife arrived. Super service.

As for the knife itself, I absolutely love it. I've been hot and cold over flippers, because I'd never seen a huge need, but this one is done right. The skinny no-choil slicer is about as usefull of a grind as I've seen for this sort of critter, much better executed than that full thickness spanto I had. It cuts and cuts very well. Edge is good, lock up is solid, F/F is good, the quality is there for the $. Very happy with the purchase. Now I just need to find a skinny titanium scale...
View attachment 1233454

That's amazing it showed up so fast! Let me know if you find a Skinny Ti scale.... I'd be interested too, haven't seen one on the market yet

It was a spike, eater bull, my favorite kind. Those big ones can get a little nasty but they do look nice on the wall. Tell the truth I've got enough branch bulls and am just as happy to get younger ones, there also a bit easier on the bod to pack out :)

Just converted my copper horse head scale into a Skinny copper horse head scale.

0f1f078095b3bdbd516fa8c629c9fb45.jpg

7c204694a1b289ebe79e76f3118129cb.jpg

a7d1a2cbf4f5ff721721ba2420b06cb4.jpg
Nice ! Did you use a Belt sander? I've thought of doing this on a ti scale... looks great!

Last edited:
Just converted my copper horse head scale into a Skinny copper horse head scale.

Nice job Keyman! Considered doing that to a standard smooth CF scale but one thing held me off. Since one is thinning the entire scale from the back, aren't you also thinning and thus weakening the "flange" (whatever it's called) inside each screw and pivot hole? The flange is what the screws press against to hold the scale to the frame. Thinning the scale also thins the flange and perhaps increases the chances of cracking the scale if one over tightens the screws or otherwise stresses the scale? Maybe I'm overthinking this. Maybe it's less of an issue with metal scales vs CF? Constructive criticism welcomed.

I can't decide between brass hardware or the bronze anodized for my 3.5 inch skinny. Any pros and cons. how does the anodized bronze hold up. I like the look a bit better of the bronze but I could always patina the brass anyone have experience with both or either? Thanks

Last edited:
Back