History of Cold Steel Tantos - Unauthorized and Probably Incomplete

Looking back at my 1992 catalog, it's interesting that the Magnum Tanto II was introduced in 1990, yet the 1992 catalog still calls it "new". Same for the Mini Tanto, which now we know came out the year before. So the Magnum Tanto II came out in 90, the new Mini Tanto in 91, and the new Tanto/Master Tanto in 92.

Just bought a CS Magnum Tanto II San Mai... Sometimes you can push the button too fast on an auction and I was first afraid that it should be a fake but it was the real deal... The problem with this one is that the sheath is not there.... I guess, it will be very hard to find the correct leather sheath for this one.... What do you think? I should appreciate any help I can get... I have already put out a WTB ad in the forum...

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

Just bought a CS Magnum Tanto II San Mai... Sometimes you can push the button too fast on an auction and I was first afraid that it should be a fake but it was the real deal... The problem with this one is that the sheath is not there.... I guess, it will be very hard to find the correct leather sheath for this one.... What do you think? I should appreciate any help I can get... I have already put out a WTB ad in the forum...

Best,
Stefan
Sweden

A few years back CS still sold them for around $25.00, I think I bought almost the last ones and they were gone soon afterward. I had to quit buying the knives w/o sheaths unless really cheap. They do come up from time time but they run(from my limited experience) $60.-$100. in decent shape. Patience will pay off eventually but be prepared to pay a lot(you might get lucky though). If I run across any I will give you a heads up.

nephron, I really appreciate your help.... It should be fantastic to have the correct one....
This is the first time I buy a Cold Steel without a sheath and maybe not the smartest thing I have done but I wanted this Tanto because I haven´t seen it here in Sweden before so.... About the price, I can understand that they are not cheap but it is what it is so...
Again, thank you so very much for your willingness to help.

Best,
Stefan
Sweden
bokstefan@msn.com

Blade thickness is the same. Only differences I know of are the pommel and bead-blasted finish, and labeled as Made in USA instead of Japan. At that time, they were using their generic "400 Series Stainless", so it is possible that the steel may be slightly different from the regular Tantos of the time as part of the cost reduction, but I have not seen any evidence to support that.

So, I'm no expert, just a guy with some knives. That being said, the Recon Tanto of the 80s seems to be quite a bit different from the regular Tanto of the 80s. I have both and the pictures tell a story. The Recon version's blade is about 1/8" +/- longer overall than the regular Tanto. The shape is also different with the Recon having a less curved spine and less belly, as well as the "tanto" point being more acute. The hardware on the Recon is rough cast and unpolished compared to the standard Tanto with the butt cap(pommel) being "domed" in shape.

Then there are the sheaths...the standard sheath on the left, the Recon Sheath on the right. The Recon sheath is of a "taco" design being folded over in the front and stitched in the back only. It also only has one set of belt slits. It is thinner, lighter and overall a better design in my opinion than the standard sheath...

Last edited:
So, I'm no expert, just a guy with some knives. That being said, the Recon Tanto of the 80s seems to be quite a bit different from the regular Tanto of the 80s. I have both and the pictures tell a story. The Recon version's blade is about 1/8" +/- longer overall than the regular Tanto. The shape is also different with the Recon having a more curved spine and less belly, as well as the "tanto" point being more acute. The hardware on the Recon is rough cast and unpolished compared to the standard Tanto with the butt cap(pommel) being "domed" in shape.

Then there are the sheaths...the standard sheath on the left, the Recon Sheath on the right. The Recon sheath is of a "taco" design being folded over in the front and stitched in the back only. It is thinner, lighter and overall a better design in my opinion than the standard sheath...

Thanks, and welcome to BF! I will have to compare the various brass Tantos that I have. It may be that the blade variations you note are normal production tolerances, but not sure.

Thanks, and welcome to BF! I will have to compare the various brass Tantos that I have. It may be that the blade variations you note are normal production tolerances, but not sure.

I reckon' they could be, but if so, their tolerances and/or what they accepted back then was pretty lax. Just looking at the blades it's apparent they are very different in shape and length. Either way, I like both of them a lot, very cool knives.

I reckon' they could be, but if so, their tolerances and/or what they accepted back then was pretty lax. Just looking at the blades it's apparent they are very different in shape and length. Either way, I like both of them a lot, very cool knives.

Grabbed a few of my brass Tantos for comparison. Can see the lengths and grinds vary. The Recon on top and the one on the bottom were the longest, at a hair over 5 3/4". The 10th Anniv was the shortest at 5 1/2". These were all advertised as 5 3/4". So while there are minor variations, I think it is correct enough to say that the defining differences of the Recon Tanto are the bead-blasted blade, guard, and pommel, and the dome-shaped pommel.

IMG_5733x.jpg

Also, my Recon has the other sheath with full stitching and 2 belt loops, so seems like there was variation there too. I have a 1987 article from National Knife Magazine that also shows this sheath for the Recon:

Capture.JPG

Grabbed a few of my brass Tantos for comparison. Can see the lengths and grinds vary. The Recon on top and the one on the bottom were the longest, at a hair over 5 3/4". The 10th Anniv was the shortest at 5 1/2". These were all advertised as 5 3/4". So while there are minor variations, I think it is correct enough to say that the defining differences of the Recon Tanto are the bead-blasted blade, guard, and pommel, and the dome-shaped pommel.

View attachment 1230202

Also, my Recon has the other sheath with full stitching and 2 belt loops, so seems like there was variation there too. I have a 1987 article from National Knife Magazine that also shows this sheath for the Recon:

View attachment 1230209

The amount of variation in length and blade shape/geometry for a mass-produced item is crazy and honestly kind of goofy. Although your Recon and mine both look about the same to my eye.

The amount of variation in length and blade shape/geometry for a mass-produced item is crazy and honestly kind of goofy.

Mass-produced? I'm not quite sure what that means to you, but you might consider several points before you criticize Cold Steel (or any knife manufacturer) too harshly for variations across a model:

1) The knives you're looking at were made in the 1980s. There were no water jets or CNC mills back then. Have you ever seen the variations in the Buck 110 across the years?

2) Cold Steel eventually changed the length of the Tanto's blade from 5.75 to 6 inches. I'm guessing differing blade dimensions were being experimented with routinely throughout the early years.

3) Most knife blades are ground by hand, even today. No amount of oversight can counteract the discrepancies inherent in human work. Is the company supposed to throw away a blade because it was ground an eighth-inch too short? As long as it fits the sheath, you might as well sell it. The only people who will notice are collectors who look at multiples of the same knife (or entirely different versions, in this case) side-by-side decades later and say, "Huh, there are differences in these mostly handmade knives."

-Steve

Well, allow me to retort. So what. Lots of mass-produced items, before Cold Steel existed and after, that are/were also subject to hand fitting and finishing, not only don't, but can't, have the same obviously wide-ranging "specs" as these knives had enjoyed over the years. Engine parts, firearms parts, machine parts, all kinds of parts. The ability to consistently produce and reproduce a knife like that in 70s and 80s wasn't some unheard, unattainable idea. Cold Steel just chose not to do it or, more precisely, have it done that way.

Also, I think you took my comment as some type of harsh criticism, which it's not. I simply find it amusing. I find the knives to be of excellent quality and interesting design.

First, thanks to jlauffer for putting this history here on Bladeforums.

I do believe there is a Tanto missing from this however. There was a Recon Tanto (if I remember right), that had a cord wrapped handle. It was featured in an episode of Tour of Duty in season 2 called Sleeping Dogs, guest starring Michael Madsen as Sgt. Greg Block, a sniper who was going over the edge. It's seen at least 2 or 3 times I think but I'd have to watch the episode again to be sure. That episode aired in Feb. 1989, and I do recall that this Tanto had been around for a while at that time.

I do believe there is a Tanto missing from this however. There was a Recon Tanto (if I remember right), that had a cord wrapped handle. It was featured in an episode of Tour of Duty in season 2 called Sleeping Dogs, guest starring Michael Madsen as Sgt. Greg Block, a sniper who was going over the edge. It's seen at least 2 or 3 times I think but I'd have to watch the episode again to be sure. That episode aired in Feb. 1989, and I do recall that this Tanto had been around for a while at that time.

Pretty sure that is a Hollywood creation, never seen or heard of one in all my years of collecting, but.....can you get some screenshots?

Well, allow me to retort. So what. Lots of mass-produced items, before Cold Steel existed and after, that are/were also subject to hand fitting and finishing, not only don't, but can't, have the same obviously wide-ranging "specs" as these knives had enjoyed over the years. Engine parts, firearms parts, machine parts, all kinds of parts. The ability to consistently produce and reproduce a knife like that in 70s and 80s wasn't some unheard, unattainable idea. Cold Steel just chose not to do it or, more precisely, have it done that way.

Also, I think you took my comment as some type of harsh criticism, which it's not. I simply find it amusing. I find the knives to be of excellent quality and interesting design.

I think this is what seems to imply that, "crazy and honestly kind of goofy", not defending them though. I just realize CS beats to a different drum than other makers and bless them for it.

Good ol' YouTube helps again! You've got a good memory, nighthawk86, but I don't think it's the Recon Tanto that you're recalling. These screen shots are pretty poor, but it looks like a regular Tanto to me.

IMG-6469.jpg

IMG-6470.jpg

IMG-6471.jpg

IMG-6472.jpg

-Steve

jkvQ4Wtl.jpg

My Master Tanto in San Mai has the above blade markings with the fittings all in stainless steel. It has been my favorite fixed blade since I purchased it many years ago.

Last edited:

Sounds like one of the Master Ops tantos from Cutlery Shoppe. Does it have a serial number?

I found an accurate pic of what my knife looks like. No there is no serial number.
I have always liked Tanto blades and much to my sorrow I lost my old first edition Recon 1 though it may have been liberated by a relative of mine.

CS_13QMBXII_1200x.jpg
I'm thinking of taking a "knife fighting" class that favors "bowie" style knives however I am seriously considering showing up with a bigger Tanto just because I have so much more time (years) with Tanto blades and being an "old fart" (70 years old) that can't keep up with the young studs that make up the majority of the class anyway; why not be be different. Maybe like a Cold Steel 3V Magnum Tanto IX or XII with an all black blade. I'm an ex-defensive football tackle 6' 5" and 300 lbs. with long arms.:)

Any opinion?

Last edited:
I found an accurate pic of what my knife looks like. No there is no serial number.
I have always liked Tanto blades and much to my sorrow I lost my old first edition Recon 1 though it may have been liberated by a relative of mine.

Ahh ok, so the newer version with stainless fittings. The first pic you posted had the brass fittings so when you mentioned stainless I was thinking of the Cutlery Shoppe exclusives that had stainless fittings instead of brass.

Back