Hog Hunting with knives

rosconey2 said:
30 some years ago my friends dad went boar hunting in pa-
he ended up with the state record-thing was a monster-

cant remember -but i think it tasted like chicken-lol
hogzilla_small.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yep - total pandemonium :D Dogs holding head - grab hind leg & thrust blade under foreleg. Sweat, noise, blood & adrenalin.

Then carry carcase out. Blood, lice & more sweat:D

Enjoy your meal of wild pork - well earned:thumbup:

Tedwca, if you hold a rear leg & pull - he cannot turn at all.

If you hunt with a terrier, they go for the gonads:eek:

Boars tend to sit & squeal - as you can imagine. the sticking is a mercy!

Good luck DK.. Hunting raw & basic. Can be dangerous, but you know that.

Regards, Brent.

Brent, you make it sound like so much fun I'd go with you- I'm not kidding. I must be sick.

munk

BrentH said:
Yep - total pandemonium :

Regards, Brent.

Brent ? This would be the boar,s gonads ? Right ?.............. RIGHT ? GULP !

Dan, quite a few of my friends hunt with dogs and knives. The most commonly used are kabars and old bayonets (I think your blade is plenty long). My friend Ron uses one of his own made folders with a 4" blade.

Leatherface said:
pigskin is rather thin and wouldnt be a good sheath material...Maybe for a liner it would work ok...
:D

Leatherface I stand corrected . All I ever did make was an inner liner .(pretty ugly to boot .

I have some wild boar rawhide that is a little thicker than the feral boar rawhide I have . What about as a rolled hide dangler ? If I can find a good way to stabilise the rawhide so it doesn,t pick up ambient moisture I may try to make a rolled or stitched dangler out of it .

I used some kind of latex sealer on an archery armguard made from boar rawhide . While it was formed to fit my arm it has unrolled a bit . I think this is due to its picking up moisture from the air .

Someone suggested using poly-urethane .

wild boar hide is thicker than pigskin, typically and can be used to make a sheath - but it is much softer and lighter than cow leather. Can have a very interesting texture. Doesn't taste very good either....:foot:

:eek:

I like the armor idea....thankfully, we'll be hunting in October....whew!

My buddies and I got together . A whole boar stuffed with apples , grapes and assorted other fruit . It was half cooked in a hotel oven and then put on a grill over a fire pit . My buddy carried it to the pit in his arms with the grapes and fruit just about bursting out .

Absolutely fantabulous . My buddy the sous-chef served me a choice piece of every cut . If you ever have a true russian wild boar that has been raised and fed well you won,t go near a pig for six months .

BrentH said:

i can verify that, i had a terrier that only nipped two people who were attempting to get to my house without his permission. he bit both of them on the nuts. one was my then boss (who i disliked) the other was a policeman who came by to return my passport.

there is of course the old story about the terrier that was trained to grab the wild boar by their not inconsiderable gonads, which immobilizes them immediately. i went hunting with him and his wife once, his master would always go hunting with a partner he trusted, he'd hand his shotgun to his partner and dive into the thicket after the boar, which would come running out, the terrier would grab it by the nuts and he'd follow behind the boar and stab it when it was being held immobile, they'd never had to use the shotgun. i asked him what the shotgun was for then. he said it was to shoot the dog if the boar chased him out first.

Great looking knife Dan. Love the lines. Your finger hole serves as an excellent guard too. I can attest to the comfort of that handle. Awesome stuff.

Love the knife Dan. I will definitely be joining th raffle if it comes off. Have you thought about a design with a hollow handle like the survival knives that would allow you to insert a shaft. You could also store needle and suture to stitch yourself up if you get caught.
Terry

tsf said:
Have you thought about a design with a hollow handle like the survival knives that would allow you to insert a shaft. You could also store needle and suture to stitch yourself up if you get caught.
Terry

Now that is just funny...I dont care WHO you are!!!

Dan size DOES matter..:confused:

How about this??

9"-10" blade

D2 preferably

2" high

5/16 or 3/8 (if ya feeling frisky go for the 3/8!) thickness

Nice high convex bevel (or whatever ya call it!)

Slight distal taper (optional)

have the first 3.5 inches of the...ahhh.. errr "top" of the blade slightly ground to aid in penetration but not sharpened...

AND incorporate the finger guard<~~ I like that fingerguard!

Nice thick kydex and leather sheath with a retaining strap should just about do it...

And of course, if ya let ME play with the knife first, I will do the sheath for only 50% over cost..<~~what a guy!:D

What ya think??

Ten years ago a lawyer I know went hog hunting with a knife. He showed me the pictures. He used some kind of Randal Knife.

If he hadn't been the top gun lawyer in NJ I wouldn't have believed him. I never thought people would hunt a boar with a knife. I think that takes balls.

Have a good hunt.

Yous guys is so lucky, gettin' ta hunt hawgs. We ain't got any round here, and I can't afford the travel, time, etc. of goin' after 'em.

When it comes to designing a blade for the purpose, I'd just as soon call up Larry Harley and get his advice. I ain't tryin' to set him up on a pedastal here, but the man has been refining and experimenting with his stickers on thousands of hogs killed. He aught to have some valuable insight. I remember him saying "two edges kill not twice as good, but ten times better". (well, except his spelling ain't so good. :D ) He liked his blades to be very wide, since that's what makes the wound bigger, and he wanted the edge(s!) to go all the way to the hilt with no choil. That way when the blade is buried deep in the critter, you can lever it around. There's of course a lot more, but these main ideas really made sense to me.

I hunt critters with a knife, but since my methods are very different than the hog hunting discussed here, there are probably very few things that would translate over.

Ya know, I hadn't really intended to say anything, but I still have a faint scar on my index finger from where a big flap of skin got ripped off by a finger-ring equipped knife. The experience left me with a strong dislike for them. If I were gonna have one, I'd want all the edges to be completely rounded over; not just a little bit of radius on the edge of an otherwise sharp design.

I really like the sharp point on this design, and I also like the flared butt. However, since this will be used mainly for thrusting, I'd personally prefer more consideration given at the guard for security and comfort rather than the back end.

Are you talking European wild boar or Javalina? There is a big difference - like 400 lbs.

Umm Dan,

This could go horribly wrong if the wrong set of pigs and dogs are selected to hunt.:(

piglet.jpeg

Could be worse if you decide to hunt tiger:eek:

tigers.jpeg

jurassicnarc44 said:
Sorry to be a wet blanket...but, be prepared for some leg injuries (ankle or knee twisted, lacerations). Ought to be a hell of a lot of fun, but the dings are virtually guaranteed....even a market sized 220 lb. hog can clean your legs out from under you. Have fun! :D

Damn right, and be careful. The hogs out here are the only CA animals you can hunt year round with no license as they are that prolific and destructive.

Totally cool knife Dan, and I think it's up to the challenge, but the only way I would hunt boar with a knife is with my .444 or Redhawk with the knife taped to the barrel.

FYI, every year up in my wife's home town, Pt. Arena CA on the north coast just south of Mendocino, they have a big hog roast. They dig a pit about 20 feet long and 3 feet deep, put 4 or 5 big hogs in there (dead of course :D) and cover them with hot coals and dirt and burlap, etc. and let them roast. The meat just falls off the bones they are so good. Pay like $5 and it's all you can eat with all the sides included. Wish I was up there now.

Problem out here is there is no hunting on Gov't land and all the private land is posted. You have to pay like $500-$700 to go on guided hunts on private property unless you are lucky enough to own land.

Norm

Back