Hog Hunting with knives

tedwca said:
Umm Dan,

This could go horrible wrong if the wrong set of pigs and dogs are selected to hunt.:(

Could be worse if you decide to hunt tiger:eek:

Funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks! :)

Norm, I currently hunt my friends ranch in the east bay (between Livermore and San Jose), but I used to go down to Hunter Ligget. The military bases still have a pretty good population of these guys, and they are open to the public (closed on certain days due to manuevers, etc).

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/pig/index.htm

This hunt is going to be a BLAST!! REALLY looking forward to it!

BrentH,
What kind of dog is that?? I love it! Looks like a cross between a Kelpie and a Bull Terrier!

Many people have commented on Dan's choice of blade length....trust me 9" will get the job done! When I put this hunt together I gave each knifemaker the same specs to build his knife to...

7"-9" blade length
top edge sharp for at least part of that length
good gaurds/retention

These specs were put in place after talking with the guide we are using extensively prior to my first hunt.

The blade length was set by him and he has killed a lot of hogs!! He told me that if you get much longer you can go through the smaller pigs and get a dog/hunter, much shorter and you don't have the length to quickly kill a bigger pig!

I for sure would not want a spear as it gets very "busy" when the catch dogs hit the hog! It can be a challenge to get in and make your stick. It is important to stick the pig in the correct spot! Just behind the shoulder as they have a gristle plate over the shoulder that is just about impossable to penitrate!!

As mentioned it is important for one of the hunters/guides to get a back leg/tail very quickly. Otherwise the boars can spin and throw the dogs off! This senario is not good!!:D

I really don't see the ring as a problem. Dan's knife has plenty of room begind the ring to hold onto and the ring can be used for extraction if needed! Am I going to put a ring on mine.....nope! Thats what makes the world go round....

The lottery is going to be a go! Working out the details now, but it is going to be killer!! We are talking about the chance for a hunt with the knifemakers and several chances at some really cool knives from the makers going...Craig Camerer, Dan Koster, Jon Graham, Josh Graham, Luc Burnley and yours truely! Stay tuned...

Tom

One other thing....the hogs we are hunting are going to be very large! We are talking in the 400 lb range...:eek: These are going to be Trophy size!

We are for sure not talking about javalina!! They are mean little bastards, but pretty small!

I think the "proper" term for them is feral hog...they are a very big problem here in the south!! They are not a native species and are very destructive to crops and native fauna! It looks like a couple bull doziers have been driven across a field when a group of pigs have fed through it!! The farmers hate them.

Tom

Knife has been heat-treated and is in the oven tempering....(almost done!)

:D

:thumbup:

stevomiller said:
Norm, I currently hunt my friends ranch in the east bay (between Livermore and San Jose), but I used to go down to Hunter Ligget. The military bases still have a pretty good population of these guys, and they are open to the public (closed on certain days due to manuevers, etc).

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/hunting/pig/index.htm

Steveo, thank you very much! I was down there years ago shooting but haven't been back since. It is definitely within range.

Norm

De nada, mi amigo!

Man, what Tom Krein says about damage sure is the truth, especially if they are as big as 400lbs! My friends ranch has a dirt airstrip on it, which they grade a couple of times a year. After it is graded in the spring new young grass springs up and the piggies come in a rootin. We say that it looks like all the local ranchers got drunk and had a midnight rototilling party:D They reck it in no time at all. We have never taken one larger than 250lb off of his place, but lots of 150-200 lbers; that's ok, they are better eating. ( I need to give him a call, they just contained a 35,000 acre fire that was right in the area of his ranch. Hope it survived :eek: )

I have seen ones as big as 350 lbs taken by friends though, that is a big piece of gristle and tusks! Will you guys be using curs or hounds to strike and find the hogs?

Holy Junk Kismet!!!!!!! I'd have shat my pants at seeing that hog. Good Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy? when that image first starting making the 'net circles, there was talk of tricks of perspective which made the hog seem so huge.

Maybe...but it is a darn big critter, under any circumstances.

(they say, on humid nights, with fog tracing the outlines of the brush and weeds, when most of the sounds of traffic and airplanes have faded away, that a person can hear the sounds of that old boar grunting softly as he digs his way out of the burial trench, looking to find and slash and eat the soft parts of a human as his revenge.)

Probably just a story, right?

(snopes on Hogzilla:http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/hogzilla.asp )

stevomiller said:
De nada, mi amigo!
I have seen ones as big as 350 lbs taken by friends though, that is a big piece of gristle and tusks! Will you guys be using curs or hounds to strike and find the hogs?

We will be using black mouth curs to bring the hogs to bay......and then we will bring in the catch dogs!

Tom

Somehow managed to sneak this in while working on orders...

Here's a teaser pic:
(still need to sharpen and etch my logo)

attachment.php

(special thanks to Tom for all the help getting this done)

Gonna need some suggestions on the sheath....boot carry, perhaps?

:eek: :eek:

Attachments

• PigSticker001.jpg
    PigSticker001.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,935
Daniel,
That looks fantastic, love the finish and the Ring. :eek: The total package is Outstanding.

We just got ours Back from Paul Bos, can't wait to get it done.
I was also thinking boot carry, but haven't worked out any details yet.

Thanks, Josh!

Can't wait to see yours...post a pic here when you're finished. :thumbup:

Oh, and Welcome to the Cantina! :D

Outstanding Dan! :thumbup: If I was working I would be all over you for one of those. For hog hunting you know what the best carry would be? Think about it: crossdraw chest rig, but with the handle pointing downwards. Laying across your chest, with blade pointing up to your left shoulder at 45 degrees and handle pointing down at your right foot if you are right handed. Either that or handle straight down off your left shoulder.

That way you could move fast through the brush without the thing hanging up on your side.

I have seen similar setups for big-bore handguns in the brush, but with the butt up of course. With the right sheath retention this could really work.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Norm

Ahhh guy's??

Boot sheaths???

Are we carrying these as back-ups or primaries???

Ever tried to get to a boot knife quickly?? I have and let me tell ya there is nothing fast about it...

I would suggest a crossdraw rig made from leather and kydex...For Dan's, have the ring area exposed to aid in a quick draw...A strong side belt carry method OR crossdraw are hard to beat...Remember they used to carry there knives on there belts back in the day?? They still do and there is a reason for it..Yup it works

Daniel Koster said:
Thanks, Josh!

Can't wait to see yours...post a pic here when you're finished. :thumbup:

Oh, and Welcome to the Cantina! :D

It is quite simmilar to yours, I mean the same over all idea. Double edge with a ring in the middle. Jon designed both of ours, I just got first pick. He wasn't quite as thrill with his, so we are trying to get another one done in time. I think I have decided to go with Mark Nelson orange and yellow micarta. I will let you know when it is done.

Back