Home Defense kukri

Which HI kukri do you think is best for home defense? I have heard some of HI's kukris are monsters and they are hard to get a second or third swing. The kobra's seem to be the lightest and fastest but do you think a sirupati with an 18in blade would be good?

I am rather tall and have a really strong grip (6'5 295lbs). I am wondering if any of you think the 18 sirupati was a good choice? Is it light enough for a second or third strike? I always have my 1911 .45acp in the night stand if the kukri isn't up to the task :friendly_wink:

for your size I think the siru you have on order will be good,, although at 18" in a hallway of a house i'm not sure if you'll get more than a stab in! For that find yourself a SAEX!

lol I was going to link a picture I have of a revolver duct taped to a dui-chirra-- yeah gun is always better.

knife fight sucks, everyone gets cut

Shotgun or handgun always my first choice but if you really wanted a knife for defense anything from 17-22 inches and 15-25oz should do just fine.

I use the 1911 or scattergun to put em down. The khuk is to get em to a manageable size to get the remains outside.

Oh...I have a rather extensive collection of firearms myself. I was thinking more of a backup or to keep the noise down if I don't want to wake the guy next door lol. I currently own a Norinco AK, couple of custom AR's, 1911's, Beretta 92fs, couple of 12ga, CZ 455 Lux, just sold my H&K 91 for some kukri and other toy funds hehe. I also have a few other powder burners I keep in the safe. The Norinco AK76s is my main home defense weapon and the S&W 1911TA next to my bed with a surefire light attached to its integral rail hehe. I am well versed in the art of the handgun and tactical carbine. Kukris are new to me and that's what I am learning now.

I got bored with gun collecting...I have seriously owned well over 250 different types of firearms ranging from black powder to Colt SSA'a to military rifles to long range bench rest... The only thing I really haven't gotten into firearms wise is shotguns or skeet, I also rarely if ever hunt except for the occasional varmint. I am more of a competitive shooter an have been competing since the age of 14. They didn't have kids divisions where I shot so I shot with the adults and learned good technique fast.

I have been through many firearms courses but I specialize in IPSC style plate shooting... I am also a pretty proficient 1911 gunsmith, and also build some really nice AR's in my spare time. I am available for any AR build and can offer much insight into that topic. I can build you and AR for as little as $550 or all the way up to $3k. My current rig is a factory Bushmaster (Windham ME not NY thank god...bushmaster was bought by Remington (freedom group) and their quality has gone to crap since then, go to hell Freedom Group you destroyed the Marlin name too.) My Bushy is dressed to the max with a TA11 acog, professional duracoat job, NM trigger, Vltor stock, full floater MI monolithic rail, micro red dot with a 45 degree offset mount, it really is a sight to behold...

Like I said earlier I will offer any info on AR projects to anyone. I love putting together parts lists for people who want mission specific AR's. All my services are free of charge unless I build it for you. I am not an FFL dealer so its easier for me to just explain the process and you build it yourself. They really are like big erector sets and you only need two or three inexpensive special tools. I now I am off topic from kukris but others have mentioned their guns so I thought I would offer my knowledge to the mix.

If you can find someone to let go of theirs or get a special order, the Padam Suga is a nice blade for your needs.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408289933.223907.jpg

This is the one I carry on a daily basis for CC situations. Excellent ballance

+1 on the Padam Suga. BUT!! be careful of knife laws in your area to carry it, Some silly fools in this state decided that having both sides of a knife sharp made it TOO scary, so Padam Suga is perfect for home but can't carry it out the door without breaking laws here.

I wouldn't choose any blade you wouldn't want to lose. If you use a blade in self defense, the police will confiscate it and you may not get it back. Shotgun for soft targets or AK/AR for hard targets is first line and cheap, but very sharp 12" blade machete is backup.

Another vote for the Padam knife, great balance, not too large, super quick, sharp/strong point, sharp swedge for backcut, I've got two and use them as a dagger pair...:)

I personally keep a 18" Bashpati in the nightstand, it is deceptively fast, and neutral in hand. I practice with this blade extensively, and I am very sure of my defense capabilities with this blade, should an intruder have the unfortunate luck of choosing my household.

I would suggest one more offering, the trisul would be a good self defense weapon as well, in fact, that's probably one of its main purposes, due to it's shape.

Most of the knives above are from special runs, except for the Bashpati, which used to pop up on DOTDs every so often, quite regularly. With Kumar and Sher back, and Rajkumar on the way back to HI, I'm sure the Bashpati will soon make a reappearance.

In terms of what may be currently available, for sef defense usage, I would go with a 15" or 18" Kobra, Sirupate, Gelbu Special, Chitlangi, or even a 15" BAS or WWII.

Last edited:
+1 for seax, suga, spear vala, or trisul-- i think any short thrusting blade would be best for cq

My recommendation is to tailor the knife to the environment.
If you have room to move, then your 18" siru will likely be perfect.

In more cramped quarters - you will want a shorter blade. Then the next question is - is the khukuri for intimidation or dispatching the threat? Khukuri's will do very well in either / but if the focus is primarily the latter than you may wish to consider a narrower thrusting blade in cramped quarters.

I was think more along the lines of intimidation factor, I do have other choices choice...i.e. firearms which themselves are scary but I find a large kukri to be just as menacing. A 5.56 or .45 will do all the damage you need but they are loud and there is no going back once you discharge that firearm. The kukri could be use to deter just as much as a handgun and I find knives much more useful in confined spaces.

Under 7 feet attacks require very special tactics when using firearms... you must tuck the handgun against your ribs , facing the correct angle, you then have to keep your weak hand out of the way and in my case make sure my rather large belly also needs to be out of the way ahhahaha (its not that big of a belly, just a good pot belly hehe). It requires practice and there is always the chance of over penetration with the 45acp...not so much with the 5.56 unless you are using green tip ammo.

I guess I meant my home defense question more in the abstract. I have many other knives of different design including a few nice fighters. My Bark River Bravo 1 with G10 handles is a good choice but kind of short. The 10in condor heavy duty kukri sitting in front of me on my computer table is another viable choice. I've been doing a lot of study on the kukri and I can not find a better design for thrusting attacks. I have also been watching the Tora website movies and how to use the kukri for slicing. I guess you leave your wrist unlock and fluid with a "rolling" action. Roll the kukri into the target instead of cutting it with a lock wrist and powerful strike. The velocity of your arm paired with a unlocked rolling wrist technique results in devastating wounds.

I appreciate all the great insightful comments though...

Taking into account your last comments, there is also the Uncle Bill Especial. Perfect for thrusting, or slashing attack/defense. Good size at 18" too.

Here's mine, forget the engraving, I got it a little fancier for show.

Now that's what I am talking about cul4u01...that is a proper fighting knife although I don't remember seeing it on the site. It does look very effective and deadly.

+1 for seax, suga, spear vala, or trisul-- i think any short thrusting blade would be best for cq
+1 on the Seax! ...and the Padam. I have dogs that alert me so hopefully it never gets to cq. In that case my Ithaca scattergun or
4d35e1e21df971725432c8f3b84f46bb

Back