How did you first hear about the HI forum?

Pendentive, actually!
I knew i wanted to buy a khuk for the looks, the uses, the history behind the design, to make my mates jealous......
I asked a question to do with khuks in the general discussion bit after i heard about bladeforums.
Pendentiva actually forwarded that q to the HI forum.....and i carried on reading.

I liked the 1989 film Cyborg and that "curved" knife Jean Claude Van Damm used caught my eye! I started looking for a khukuri and found one at a flea market and a few years later I saw an HI add in Blade mag and the rest is history!:)

I used to hang around rec.dot.knives where I saw a reference to knifeforums so done a search.
In checking out all the forums on knifeforums I came across the H.I.Forum I did some lurking and read all of the past threads over there and then came over here. The rest is as they say, "history.":)

I'm also one of those who bought an Atlanta Cutlery Kukri and knew it wasn't the real deal as a customer getting his washing machine serviced showed me a real Ghurka Khukri much to the aggravation of my boss who kept insisting I hand him wrenches while he worked.:rolleyes: ;)
Back then the customer was always right so the boss couldn't say much, at least in front of him, although I did get an arse reaming after we left.:)

I first got interested in khukuris as a kid (don't remember how). Found an add in a knife magazine for H.I. about ten years ago or more, and bought one. The khukuri I got was awesome, and Uncle Bill's service and friendliness was second to none. I bought four more khuks back then. I ended up getting involved in other hobbeys, and didn't buy any more khuks until afew years ago. I found the forum from a yahoo search a couple of years ago, and just keep coming back. :D

Thanks to everybody for posting. Kinda feel like I know y'all a little better now. Hopefully some of the new folk will get to know us a little better too.

If our favourite caveman chimes in then we'll know for certain... :D

Andrew Limsk

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
We may have scared some of em' away.

I'm another that got some Polaroid pics from Bill after reading an advertisment in one of the knife mags.

I found him on the net and called and ordered it Monday, got it Tuesday, ordered two more Wednesday, and got them Thursday. Started as Co-moderator and kept the forum going while Bill and Yangdu spent several weeks in Nepal, he came back and next thing I know he's in the hospital with a heart attack and back out of commission again.

Watched the forum grow til the last couple months I started losing track of it and started missing the newbies - couldn't remember who was who. Some of you I missed welcoming, nice to see you posting.

Originally posted by BruiseLeee
We may have scared some of em' away.
LOL! :D:D
...HI is definitely not for the squeemish;)

I got interested in the HI khuks after reading some articles on Cliff Stamps site, a year or so ago. THe HI-khuks got mentioned on several other (outdoors-related) forums as well.

-Emile

I had already purchased a CS LTC and was looking around on google for some comparisons when I came across this forum. I had purchased a cheap
Tourist kurk as a teen, and had no idea that you could even get an authentic decent one.
I started reading the forums and within a day or two I had ordered a 18"AK.
2-3 days after that I ordered a 15" siraupti. I always thought that because of the primitive conditions in Nepal all the kurks were of the tourist quality I had as a kid, boy did I get a lesson on this forum!
Thanks to Uncle Bill and all of you for the great advice and discussion threads.
:eek:

I've lost track of some newbies, too, Rusty. Of course, I lose track of everything so I guess this is not a surprising revelation.

I saw a handful of Khuks in a militaria/military gear supply shop in the city here in OZ. I heard they were from Gurkha House, but they were going for quite a bargain price. I then talked to a blacksmith buddy of mine and he offered to produce a nice, handforged piece for the totally unacceptable price of US$257+. That got me searching on the 'net for Khuks. The search ended when I came across Cliff's excellent Khuk FAQ. I ended up in the Cantina, and well, as the story goes, the rest is history! :D:D:D:D:D

HI PENDITIVE
i was searching for a khuk site came across bills hi site looked at all the nice goodies then hit the forum button and here i was ,read a few threads an saw how friendly every one was here, an thought ok ill have a go. well after a rocky start ,thanks to my capitals,learned i was shouting, then everything fine,except sometimes i tend to let fly on subjects to quick. oh well that makes life interestin i suppose.as for the khuks i decided i should only collect wood handles, so now i am lurkin for a m43, an a cobra 18, and i put my name down as a definite for one of the new pen knifes, that will be interestin when that arrives. regards to all here:)

Ever since schooldays I've been hankering after a genuine Khukuri, thinking that I'd never find one. I span off into other knives, collected for a few years, then got on the net and did a search for Khuks and got on the HI site. Took me 17 years but I got there in the end....joined the forum a year or two back, blew my computer up, took ages to get another one, then joined again recently.
After all this time the power of the Khukuri lust hasn't lessened, it's grown as my bank account has dwindled :(

Since I saw the first khukuri (I was twelve or so) I always wanted to have one. It didn't happen until I went to Budapest fre years ago and discovered some khuks in a small knife shop. I bought one immediately and smuggled it through three country borders. Then I decided to identify it. I knew the HI site, so I went through the entire FAQ page and all story behind it, and it simply astonished me. I came to the forum here and asked about my khukuri. Well, I didn't like the answer much (it revealed to be some low class junk:))but I did like the place and the people. Since then I'm hanging around, saving money for my first HI khukuri. When I buy it, I'll finally feel a full time member of this huge HI family. I'm looking forward to this moment.

Every forum is as good as people who participate in it. And this forum is special. Thank you all.

I first found bladeforums.com while researching my next knife purchase. As my friends can attest, I can't purchase anything without a sickening amount of research!:eek: Anyway, while trying to consume the thousands of posts on the forums, I kept stumbling across something called a HI Khukri. Hmmmm, I thought, I've always been interested khukris, they have a magical appeal to me. Perhaps it's their history or the reputation of the Ghorkas, I'm not sure... Well, I did a search on HI khukri and found the HI forum! No, I did not make the contection between HI and Himalayan Imports :confused: I guess I sit to close to the screen...
I lurked for awhile and one day at lunch, surfing the forums, I see that Bill has some blems for sale! Alright! So I fire off a response and go back to work. Well, I stepped in it! I failed to read the FAQ :( on special purchases. Ugh! Well, nobody on the forum jumped in and said "you idiot, RTFM!" they were all very understanding and sympathetic. Wow, nice people! Nicest of all was Bill who found another blem and offered it to me! Woohoo!
SO now I have a AK by Buru (get well!) and am planning a second or third or...
Great bunch of people, great forum and a great company!
-SB (Jim)

" You idiot, RTFM! " >>>

:D :D :D :D :D ( Never too late on this forum! BTW, I hadn't realized Bill had changed the top two sticky posts and addressed the issue either, but he let me get curious and find out by looking it up.:eek:

Back