How I photograph knives

Wally, of course anything you put on the window will block some light, but as long as you're using a tripod it shouldn't be a problem. I hope you'll post your results here.

I just ordered a portable photography photo studio kit last week and it should be here any day now. Just type in "Portable Photo Studio Kit" in Google and go. Not too expensive either.

Good luck with that, but it looks like the light will be coming from the sides rather than behind where you want it. Let's see your results.

I wonder how many watts on these...2 x High output lights with retractable legs?

2¢ from another Wally :D
Tissue paper used to diffuse direct sunlight works well.
I've used an 18x24 sheet of tracing paper attached to a frame made out of foamcore board.
And as PhilL said, if your on a tripod all is good.

Since the conversation has approached indoor studios on the cheap, I can't help but suggest the 'No Frills - $75 Home Studio Light Tent' thread. Twelve pages of good info. I started it with PhilL's inspiration.

That portable studio setup from WalMart is fairly inappropriate for knife photography, and you will see why soon enough. Sure inexpensive though, and so that's a good thing.

Coop

Coop, I agree of course, but the guy said he bought it already, nothing to do but wish him luck with it. If he had asked, "Should I buy this?" The answer would have been a resounding, "NO!" ;)

That portable studio setup from WalMart is fairly inappropriate for knife photography, and you will see why soon enough. Sure inexpensive though, and so that's a good thing.

Coop

As it turns out it wasn't all that soon. Because over a year later he just posted pics on your "$75 Light Setup" thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328550&page=17

Post 322, it seems he got some interesting results.

Still not something that's very practical for knife photos.

This is a pic of the portable photo studio. Fine for taking pics for ebay and such but not for better quality pics. These go for around $50. The lights are 75W each. Also the one I have has the white top cover. I got better results with the cheapo homemade setup. I used one of the small lights here along with the clamp on light on my table.
PPS.jpg

Pics with the portable photo studio:
My-CRK-Unique-Graphic.jpg

Spyderco-Native-C41PBBK.jpg

MyCRKUG0105-1.jpg

Pics with the homemade setup:
XM-18-Front.jpg

Push-Front.jpg

Seb-6.jpg

EDC-Native-III.jpg

Rootbeer-2.jpg

Boa-Angle-1.jpg

Save your money and make your own little light studio.

FYI: Pics were taken with a Canon Powershot A620 and tripod. I just recently got my hands on a Canon S3 IS that I want to try out. I just need to learn the intricasies of my camera to take better pics now. Also, it's important to have some sort of photo editing program to "clean up" the pics too. I use Photoshop CS2.

PKD, an Image Editing program is #5 on my List of what you need to photograph knives the way I do it, a tripod is #6.

I hope you'll find my tutorial on "How I Do Image Editing" helpful.
You can find it here.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452957

If you have any questions you can email me, or if you think it might be of general interest you can post questions on that thread.

Good Luck!

I wish I found this thread this morning. Just loaned my brother my tripod so he can practice filming for a hunting DVD he has been asked to contribute to. AARRGGHHH... I would have kept the tripod another week.

I would have kept the tripod another week.

Don't let this stop you, as long as you have enough daylight you should be able to hand hold your camera steady enough. If you notice camera movement in your final photos then you know you can solve that problem when you get your tripod back.

Use what you have, from where you are, right now.

Please keep in mind, you don't want direct Sun hitting the knife, what you want is Open Shade or North Light. Direct Sun on the knives will be much too harsh, and the shadows much too strong. You can work around this by using a diffuser on the window; tracing paper, white shower curtain or sheet pulled tight so there are no wrinkles. Basically any type of white material that will cut down on the direct light hitting your knives.

Hi Phil & Friends,

I've been reading through various threads in an effort to start figuring out photographing knives. What might any of you good folks suggest as a fairly adequate, budget minded camera (btw $100-300)? Please keep in mind, the less I spend on a camera the more steel, belts and other tools I can buy.

Thanks so much, Phil

Phil, I'm still on my original digital camera that I bought in 2004. IIRC it was around $200 and it's less than 4MP, which is pretty crude by today's standards. It's Nikon Coolpix 4300, I bought a brand name I knew at a price I could live with. I've been happy with my choice.

I wish I could tell you what camera you should buy today, but I really don't know. I would suggest maybe asking on Gadgets & Gear here or Google "Best Digital Camera Under $300". That's what I would do.

A quick Google search came up with this page.
http://digitalcameras.bizrate.com/digitalcameras/buying_guides/prices.html

I personally would be very happy with the least expensive of the three along the top, the Olympus FE-340.
It's a lot more camera than I have now.

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

Thanks for sharing your tips. I found them really helpful when I first started taking pictures. What do you think of these pictures? I know you said you weren't' big on props but I like to keep my pictures varied and was wondering what your thoughts on them are?

2428219388_00729e7ee7.jpg

2599669770_f5f0f31d46.jpg

2340280244_b43feaf788.jpg

2616207506_6be6b43dc2.jpg

2518104340_fea30d53e8.jpg

Hi guys,

Very nice job with the pics!
I've just started collecting knives and i have an Olympus sp-510 camera.
I really want to learn about making clean photos.
Here are some pics:

Picture4.jpg

Picture6.jpg

a.jpg

9.jpg

I really want to learn about making clean photos.

You're photos are interesting and creative, but not exactly CLEAN
There is nothing wrong with your approach except that you're starting from scratch every time you want to photograph a knife. You have no standard setup that you know works and can be repeated whenever and wherever you want.

The whole purpose of this thread was to show a simple lighting setup that would be easy for anyone to reproduce. My advice is don't stop being creative with your setups, but to have a fallback setup where you can capture clean, clear photos of your knives.

Back