How many of you really NEED a knife

I carry two knifes daily and use both. Ones for cutting boxes, food (mostly ). Others a bali for flipping and stress revealing. I dont really consider knives for self defense although the blades I carry are large enough blade to fill the role.

As a building engineer I use one almost every day, bought a big one to hack through tough stuff like insulation, use the leatherman a lot, a real lot, best tool ever. A flashlight is probably the most usefull tool in this environment, had to buy my own as the one they supply was a joke..they thought I was crazy to buy a $130.00 dollar one, that was until I lit up a room with it...

Ill admit, I wish I had more daily use with ny knives, because I enjoy using them so much. But the times I don't have a knife and I need it. That is much worse than having it and not using it. I look at knives as a bit of a hobby as well. So collecting and feeling good about play a roll too.

Like many others, my needs have changed over the years, but I still need and use one pretty much every day.

I would say yes, I do need knife! I surely could survive without, but having one makes life much easier for me. I mostly use my knife at work, where for instance, I used my knife today opening loads of boxes and cutting plastic ties. Much handier than using scissors or box cutters.

I'm also surprised how defensive people are getting. Everyone here likes and probably carries knives, so you can relax and take the question for what it is. Maybe I stated the question wrong. Maybe I should have asked, how many of you use your EDC knife daily.

Last edited:
I am a full time student and i still use a knife at least 2 or 3 times a day at school, cause it just makes life easier. I do yard work for the more experienced folks in my town and then i really do NEED a knife. as i see it, for all of Homo sapiens history, we have used tools, and one of the first tools we created was a knife, because it makes life esier. Do we really need a cell phone? most of us no, but it makes life really nice when you do need it of just want it.

I'm also surprised how defensive people are getting. Everyone here likes are probably carries knives, so you can relax and take the question for what it is. Maybe I stated the question wrong. Maybe I should have asked, how many of you use your EDC knife daily.

Some folks seem to get embarrassed or irate when they have to face the fact that they don't have any real need for their expensive knife collections. I don't know if that is what's causing folks to get their knickers in a twist in this case, but it could be a factor.

Who knows? It's a neat idea for a topic, as far as I'm concerned. Sparked a lot of discussion so far.

Last edited:
I work in IT, and whether in the office or out in satellite locations, I use my knife everyday. I'll find ways to, if I'm not using it enough.

The second response nailed it! "It's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" - Someone
This is the reason that I EDC - tools are nice to have, I hate not being prepared. Or asking to borrow from others.
Oh.... And I also like being a showoff - By "show / telling" others of my latest expensive acquisition, that I did'nt have a need for... excuse me while I go and staight'n my undies.;)

I need a knife. I cook for a living, so whether it's a shun premier chef's knife to cut and chop with, or my edc to open boxes and other sorts of packaging, i'm using a knife almost constantly at work every day.

I'm also surprised how defensive people are getting. Everyone

I didn't read all of the responses, so I haven't read the defensive comments mentioned. I do agree that some people get defensive over their purchases, and that is always a turn off to read. There is another side to it though...that is that some people, myself included, get irritated with what I sometimes think of as "childish" questions. By childish, I mean questions "value" comments from people concerning things that in reality, they are judging, simply because they themselves have no, or little experience with that something (whatever it is). Since whatever that something is, makes less sense to them, they come out and ask questions supposedly from an "educate me" position, but in reality they often appear to be more of a "judgement" statement about others. I'm not saying that's what you did here, but I can certainly see how some might be a little opinionated to the type of questions you've asked in this thread. It seems to me the older I get, and the more experienced, I realize more and more that just because I don't understand something, doesn't mean that there isn't plenty good reason for it somewhere/somehow (and in fact, maybe it's not the respondents in these threads that are being defensive as much as the OPs, who don't like the answers they receive to a naive question).

Some folks seem to get embarrassed or irate when they have to face the fact that they don't have any real need for their expensive knife collections.

Not many seem offended...except for those getting offended at the perception of people getting offended. :D
As for need...
I don't need a house; I live in an apartment.
I don't need a car; I take the bus.
I don't need car insurance or medical insurance; no car, and I live in Canada.
I don't need a passport or travel insurance; I don't get to travel.

Other people may feel a need for these things. I'm not offended by that.;)

Not many seem offended...except for those getting offended at the perception of people getting offended.

That's what I'm talking about...stabman, more articulate than me, summed up what I wrote in a paragraph to one very good sentense.

Another reason that people get defensive is because of the number of times we have to defend carrying a knife to family and friends. My girlfriend gives me crap all the time for buying new knives, carrying knives, carrying a gun, carrying a Leatherman and so forth. The one that really irks me is "What are you scared of?"

Anyhow, aside from people intentionally stirring the pot, I think many of us becomes defensive on the net, based on our real life experiences. Obviously no one here is against carrying knives, but an auto response is an auto response.

I live on a 1930's small farm property and need to use a knife, machete, hay knife, etc. pretty much every single day. Then whenever I'm culling chickens or rabbits I sure do need a knife! I'm not skinning 'em with my teeth, thank you very much. :D

I need food, water, sleep, companionship, shelter from the elements, sex, my TV (kidding... sort of) and my knife (not kidding). Most people mistake a want for a need. One need that seems to go unnoticed more often these days is the need for a sense of humor. Enjoy these threads, it's not like we are talking religion or politics.

Not many seem offended...except for those getting offended at the perception of people getting offended. :D
As for need...
I don't need a house; I live in an apartment.
I don't need a car; I take the bus.
I don't need car insurance or medical insurance; no car, and I live in Canada.
I don't need a passport or travel insurance; I don't get to travel.

Other people may feel a need for these things. I'm not offended by that.;)

Sir, I take offence at the very notion that others might take offence at the perceived offence of others! :mad:

I demand that you retract this comment or I shall have to seek satisfaction forthwith!

Good day sah!

Back